Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bardstown 69 - Martin County -64
Waiting for the excuses and what a moral victory. this was for the cardinals.
Sounds like it was a great game
Anybody know how JJ Trayner did for Bardstown?
Martin Co. Won’t make it to the 15th region finals.
^
That might be a bad bet Hambley, the season is just getting started and teams are still finding whats works.
Did Braxton Maynard quit the team?
Why would he quit? He is a starter, the shooting guard, one of the leading scorer, plays the entire game unless in foul trouble, is well liked by his teammates and coaches.
I check this board and another board. Each week on the other board they have a 15th Region week in review for every team, when Martin County was mentioned the post also said that he reportedly quit the team.

With Martin County having fans on here, I thought I'd ask to see if their was any truth to it.
clipperw Wrote:Did Braxton Maynard quit the team?

I haven't spoken to him or the family directly, but word is he has quit. It's tough to play a team sport when the coach doesn't make it about the team. When the only concern is promoting two kids then there is a problem and you can't win with that atmosphere. There are few teams with as much talent as Martin County has, but until they can work collectively as a team they won't win games.
^
The word I'm hearing is he was at a practice yesterday, so I wonder which word is right?

I've seen this team play and yes they have a lot of talent, but they have a morale problem caused by players who don't get their way, then walks out and quits their team and teammates, then come back the next day for a practice.... that kind of attitude will destroy a teams.
The Eagle Knows Wrote:^
The word I'm hearing is he was at a practice yesterday, so I wonder which word is right?

I've seen this team play and yes they have a lot of talent, but they have a morale problem caused by players who don't get their way, then walks out and quits their team and teammates, then come back the next day for a practice.... that kind of attitude will destroy a teams.

I was also told he was a practice today. So maybe something was worked out. If you are correct, and they have a morale problem, that comes from the top. The me not we mentality destroys teams too and that has plagued that team before Maynard walked out.
^
WOW what a statement, has Martin County sports become the tail wagging dog, they have their problems however so do other school sports programs.

There is only one Captain of a ship and with Martin County basketball the Captain is Head Coach Jason "JJ" James. I've always heard attitude effects behavior, not behavior effects attitude. In general, a coach's behavior / job is to build a team that can win games not to piss off a particular player, but it happens sometimes and coaches are human. No one player is bigger than the team.

I heard there is a morale problem with this team and it's being fueled by a couple players not the coach or the team. It's human nature for a parent or guardian to want the best for their child and they always feel their child is extra special, but when they encourage the child to walk out or quit, this behavior doesn't come the top, it come from home.

I went to the KHSAA website and the numbers for this team speaks volumes. Some players are shooting in the 56% made shots range while some are at 45% or less range which is a player problem also it effects their point totals, furthermore some players just take better shots than other players. Some players draw more fouls than other and some players just do better at the FT line than others. There wasn't a big difference in total shots taken by the leading scorers.

I've watched this team play and they could be really good but IMO they have to many people on the bench during the games. Assistant coaches can be good for a team and Martin County has one good one, but the extra "want to be helpers" are just a distraction to the players and killing this team.
The Eagle Knows Wrote:^
WOW what a statement, has Martin County sports become the tail wagging dog, they have their problems however so do other school sports programs.

There is only one Captain of a ship and with Martin County basketball the Captain is Head Coach Jason "JJ" James. I've always heard attitude effects behavior, not behavior effects attitude. In general, a coach's behavior / job is to build a team that can win games not to piss off a particular player, but it happens sometimes and coaches are human. No one player is bigger than the team.

I heard there is a morale problem with this team and it's being fueled by a couple players not the coach or the team. It's human nature for a parent or guardian to want the best for their child and they always feel their child is extra special, but when they encourage the child to walk out or quit, this behavior doesn't come the top, it come from home.

I went to the KHSAA website and the numbers for this team speaks volumes. Some players are shooting in the 56% made shots range while some are at 45% or less range which is a player problem also it effects their point totals, furthermore some players just take better shots than other players. Some players draw more fouls than other and some players just do better at the FT line than others. There wasn't a big difference in total shots taken by the leading scorers.

I've watched this team play and they could be really good but IMO they have to many people on the bench during the games. Assistant coaches can be good for a team and Martin County has one good one, but the extra "want to be helpers" are just a distraction to the players and killing this team.

If you are referring to "parents" being the tail and "the team" being the dog then I guess they have. I've been told that number 1's dad sits in the closed practices even though he isn't a coach anymore and number 5's dad sits in the stands and trash talks the other players when his son isn't on the court. Morale comes from adults. That includes parents and "The Captain". You say no one player isn't bigger than the team, but I guess when it's two players over the team that's ok? As soon as this group is treated as a team and not a supporting cast for two players they will start winning games. They are one of the most talented teams in the region.

I do agree about the assistant coaches. They all need to go except Parsley. The boys seem to listen to him more than the others and looked to play better when he was coaching them. One of the assistant coaches is rude and snide with the boys. His attitude is a Cancer really. He absolutely needs to go.
Seems like the same things are said almost every year with Sheldon Clark/Martin County Athletics.

Gods speed to all coaches at MCHS who have to deal with all this negativity every year despite however much time you volunteer to the kids of the county.
People and rumors. Trying to tear a team apart. Sounds like fans from other schools in the 15th region trying to tear this team apart because they fear them. To answer your stupid question. No Maynard hasnt quit.
The problem in Martin county it seems is the parents. They are ALL causing the team to turn against one another and the coaches. What’s said at home or in the car bleeds over into the practice and game times. This is one of the most talented teams in the STATE and to watch and listen to the parents at the games and in the community is a shame. Its down right embarrassing to listen to parents get mad and object loudly that their child gets taken out of a game. It’s high school sports. The coaches are not professionals.
IntheZone Wrote:The problem in Martin county it seems is the parents. They are ALL causing the team to turn against one another and the coaches. What’s said at home or in the car bleeds over into the practice and game times. This is one of the most talented teams in the STATE and to watch and listen to the parents at the games and in the community is a shame. Its down right embarrassing to listen to parents get mad and object loudly that their child gets taken out of a game. It’s high school sports. The coaches are not professionals.

Parents 9/10 are what ruins it with coaches and players.

Trust the coaches to figure out what works best for your team and encourage your child to buy in to what the coach is selling.

If you can't do that, you're the problem. Not the coach or your kid.
Basketballmom41 Wrote:If you are referring to "parents" being the tail and "the team" being the dog then I guess they have. I've been told that number 1's dad sits in the closed practices even though he isn't a coach anymore and number 5's dad sits in the stands and trash talks the other players when his son isn't on the court. Morale comes from adults. That includes parents and "The Captain". You say no one player isn't bigger than the team, but I guess when it's two players over the team that's ok? As soon as this group is treated as a team and not a supporting cast for two players they will start winning games. They are one of the most talented teams in the region.

I do agree about the assistant coaches. They all need to go except Parsley. The boys seem to listen to him more than the others and looked to play better when he was coaching them. One of the assistant coaches is rude and snide with the boys. His attitude is a Cancer really. He absolutely needs to go.

Well Ball Mom what I meant was some of the players are trying to be the tail and the team is the dog, but you were close.

Anyone who knows anything knows #1 dad is Mike Dingess and I was also curious about his role with the team this year, so instead of guessing, I just asked Coach James and he said Mike does 2 things for his team, 1st he goes to the school and helps the players with weight training plus any other students that needs help with their weight training, and 2nd he does each players individual Vertimax training during the close practices, which is a big deal according to several coaches that understand the Vertimax system. It's also my understanding he sits in the stands like other parents during the games.

It's my understanding #5's dad is a preacher and I'll say no more on this one.

I see the morale issue being between the players and far as I know there are no parents on the team. There may be a few parents fanning the fire so shame on them.

I'll stand by my statement that no one player is bigger than team, then being sarcastic you say "but I guess when it's two player over the team that's OK", but everyone already knows the answer to that question, but my question to you Ball Mom, which two players are you talking about? Come on and tell Coach James who the two players are that's screwing this team up.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Seems like the same things are said almost every year with Sheldon Clark/Martin County Athletics.

Gods speed to all coaches at MCHS who have to deal with all this negativity every year despite however much time you volunteer to the kids of the county.

Coach James has his Rank 1, is the high school assistant principal, basketball coach and gets paid for extended days, JJ works hard and does well and by no means is it volunteer work.... LOL

Shane Simpkins baseball coaching days at good ole Pburg, coached 5 years won 5 districts titles and 1 regional title and got FIRED.....

Hired Craig Ratliff one of the best baseball and basketball players to come out of the 15th region, as a teacher and assistant basketball coach but his son attends class at Paintsville High School....

Let's not forget about the Derossett's
Basketballmom41 Wrote:If you are referring to "parents" being the tail and "the team" being the dog then I guess they have. I've been told that number 1's dad sits in the closed practices even though he isn't a coach anymore and number 5's dad sits in the stands and trash talks the other players when his son isn't on the court. Morale comes from adults. That includes parents and "The Captain". You say no one player isn't bigger than the team, but I guess when it's two players over the team that's ok? As soon as this group is treated as a team and not a supporting cast for two players they will start winning games. They are one of the most talented teams in the region.

No. The whole bench needs to be cleared.Parsley back biting coach James talking about what a awful coach he is and trying to control the whole program.Even heard to say they needed to get rid of coach James and give him the job.Not to mention the whole fiasco with the kid from WV in the summer all at that assistant’s hands.Im told he is rude, sarcastic and talks about players and belittles them,lies to parents and promises them things to keep players.People need to be careful these days with things they say and do.Too many cell phones and devices carried around.Coach James has enough to worry about without that knife in his back.Crum and Dalton would be best if any had to be left,both of high morale character, role models for the boys,someone team hasn’t seen acting inappropriately.Another reason people should be careful what they do and say. But I say best to clear the whole bench, start fresh.I can’t believe MC or the parents allowing all this turmoil.Does the KHSAA come in and take over a troubled team like KDE does a troubled school?If so, I’d like to apply for the job lol.
IntheZone Wrote:The problem in Martin county it seems is the parents. They are ALL causing the team to turn against one another and the coaches. What’s said at home or in the car bleeds over into the practice and game times. This is one of the most talented teams in the STATE and to watch and listen to the parents at the games and in the community is a shame. Its down right embarrassing to listen to parents get mad and object loudly that their child gets taken out of a game. It’s high school sports. The coaches are not professionals.
I agree to a point.Everyone needs a breather,you don’t like it?You shouldn’t have came to MC. BUT, I also disagree.When coaches agree and accept a list of demands for certain players and totally screwing other players for that list, when coaches let players quit and come back next month, next week, next day with more playing time,and no discipline whatsoever,I believe that opens up a whole can of worms that cannot be put back in the can.Not to mention the pipeline.If parents complaining because their kid had to sit for 2 minutes was the only problem,there would be no problems enough to cause this team to take 50 steps back like they have.Coaches and assistants set the tone.Dont cry when you play favoritism and then all players expect same treatment!Time to grow up, accept responsibility and start making changes for next year...too late for this year. I agree this team has enough talent to go straight to state,if used correctly.ive only seen that a few times.Coach James better take control,stick with what he knows and quit listening to greenhorns beneath him.This team deserves better and ironically, he was off to great start.
And might I add to my knowledge no one has ever said parents have turned players against each other but you.The coaches have done that.
According to all these posts,complaints and general public gossip, Maybe it is time for a deep internal probe by the KHSAA.Too much wrong going on here
Does martincounty play today?and what time? They’re playing Paintsville sometime today.
ballislife33 Wrote:Does martincounty play today?and what time? They’re playing Paintsville sometime today.

They are playing now but they are playing Dunbar not Paintsville
The Eagle Knows Wrote:Coach James has his Rank 1, is the high school assistant principal, basketball coach and gets paid for extended days, JJ works hard and does well and by no means is it volunteer work.... LOL

Shane Simpkins baseball coaching days at good ole Pburg, coached 5 years won 5 districts titles and 1 regional title and got FIRED.....

Hired Craig Ratliff one of the best baseball and basketball players to come out of the 15th region, as a teacher and assistant basketball coach but his son attends class at Paintsville High School....

Let's not forget about the Derossett's

I’m not sure what Simpkins & the Derossett’s have to do with Martin County.
Nothing but all schools have problems. I think they just pointing out the problems Prestonsburg have had since you’re a alum