Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Rank The 6 State Champions Teams?
A simple question: How would you rank the 6 KHSAA state champions teams from best to not the best?

6A Trinity
5A Covington Catholic
4A Johnson Central
3A Belfry
2A Somerset
1A Pikeville
Trinity
JC
Covington Catholic
Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
Trinity
Cov Cath
JC
Pikeville
Belfry
Somerset
6A Trinity
5A Covington Catholic
4A Johnson Central
3A Belfry
2A Somerset
1A Pikeville
Looks ok to me
For the record, my list at the top are not how I have the teams ranked. They are just a list of the teams.
Trinity
JC
CC
Somerset
Pikeville
Belfry
Trinity
Covington Catholic
Johnson Central
Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
Trinity
CovCath
JC
Belfry
Somerset
PHS
Trinity
Cov Cath
Johnson Central
Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Trinity

CovCath
Johnson Central

Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
PHSFAN Wrote:Trinity

CovCath
Johnson Central

Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
Looks good to me. Although I would give the nod to CovCath over Johnson Central because of their tougher schedule, I have no doubt that both JC and Boyle County could beat the Colonels on a given night. They seemed to play up or down to the competition. But their closer than expected wins over LexCath and Highlands were early in the season and solid wins over LaSalle and Frederick Douglas are hard to ignore.

I rank Belfry over Pikeville for the same reason. Pikeville was the better team in September but Belfry finished the season healthy with three straight wins over opponents who were better than any team on Pikeville's schedule besides Belfry. Pikeville showed that they were good enough to beat Belfry on a given night by doing it but Belfry was the state champion of a much tougher class.
I rank them all State Champions.
Pikeville V Somerset would be a heck of a game IMO
Trinity

Cov Cath

JC
Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
I would rank them all as state champions.

They break them down by classification for a reason.
JumperPride1 Wrote:I would rank them all as state champions.

They break them down by classification for a reason.

Some members enjoy discussing this, though. It's all in fun. It's not like we are awarding trophies here. All 6 six teams got their trophies that matter. This thread is for the fans. Like I stated, it's all in fun.
Trinity

CovCath
Johnson Central

Pikeville
Belfry

Somerset
I'm a homer no doubt, but I'd put Somerset over Pikeville and a heck of a game against Belfry. Laugh all you want, but had Mayfield won I guarantee you wouldn't be putting them last. The hate and distaste for Somerset is real.
Trinity
Cov Cath
Johnson Central
Pikeville
Belfry
Somerset*
cardsfan9051 Wrote:Trinity
Cov Cath
Johnson Central
Pikeville
Belfry
Somerset*

And there we have it. A Cards fan breaks out their infamous asterisk. It was just a matter of time before they did. Not representative of all Card fans I’m sure, but representative of how the majority feels and won’t say. Shame they can’t let it go.
cardsfan9051 Wrote:Trinity
Cov Cath
Johnson Central
Pikeville
Belfry
Somerset*

Strange, that trophy that I got to hold didn't have an asterisk on it anywhere. Just a big, gold football. I think we'll keep it. Learn to play prevent defense and maybe you'll get it back next year.
Gargamel Wrote:Trinity
Cov Cath
JC
Pikeville
Belfry
Somerset

This without a doubt and Pikeville would give JC all they wanted although Belfry got embarrassed..
Walt Longmire Wrote:Strange, that trophy that I got to hold didn't have an asterisk on it anywhere. Just a big, gold football. I think we'll keep it. Learn to play prevent defense and maybe you'll get it back next year.
No asterisk for Somerset. Somerset won the biggest part of the game. Mayfield had a good comeback with maybe Somerset losing a bit of intensity, or just momentum. But Somerset made one of the more epic comebacks of all-time, and basically went the field in about 8 seconds (I think), to score the go ahead TD! I mean that's just a crazy awesome comeback and amazing fortitude by a team to never give up. There is no asterisk.
Not getting into hypotheticals Somerset struggled with Hazard and Pikeville beat them by 100. Pikeville beat Belfry also so have at it people....
jetpilot Wrote:Not getting into hypotheticals Somerset struggled with Hazard and Pikeville beat them by 100. Pikeville beat Belfry also so have at it people....

The Hazard game was also the game where Somerset lost their best running back to a horrific injury right in front of the Somerset bench on their first offensive series and had to overcome a 100 yard penalty difference and still won by 2 scores on the road.

Also, Paintsville beat Hazard by 9 and played Pikeville to a one point game in one of their meetings. Somerset had their way with Paintsville in their scrimmage so it's certainly possible that the Briar Jumpers could play with Pikeville. It's pretty dicey comparing scores in a vacuum.
jetpilot Wrote:This without a doubt and Pikeville would give JC all they wanted although Belfry got embarrassed..
Johnson Central would have easily beaten the Panthers, which is what should happen when an elite 4A team plays an elite 1A team and Pikeville, Belfry, and Johnson Central are all very well coached. It's nothing to be embarrassed about when a smaller school loses to a larger school, but football becomes a numbers game when all else is equal between two well coached teams. Coach Matney was hired to end the embarrassment of losing to Paintsville way too often and end it he did. When first half running clocks became the rule, Johnson Central's series with Paintsville came to an end.

IMO, as long as Matney is at Johnson Central, the Golden Eagles will win more games against Belfry than they will lose, although JC's enrollment advantage over Belfry is close enough that the Pirates will continue to win their share of games in the series. JC would dominate a series against any 1A school, although one bad hiring decision after Matney retires could change everything, just as it did following Bill Musick's departure.

This is the golden age of mountain football and I hope that Pikeville, Belfry, and Johnson Central all bring back titles next season.
5A Covington Catholic
6A Trinity
4A Johnson Central
3A Belfry
1A Pikeville
2A Somerset
Walt Longmire Wrote:The Hazard game was also the game where Somerset lost their best running back to a horrific injury right in front of the Somerset bench on their first offensive series and had to overcome a 100 yard penalty difference and still won by 2 scores on the road.

Also, Paintsville beat Hazard by 9 and played Pikeville to a one point game in one of their meetings. Somerset had their way with Paintsville in their scrimmage so it's certainly possible that the Briar Jumpers could play with Pikeville. It's pretty dicey comparing scores in a vacuum.

Hazard beat Paintsville.
I also want to point out that Hazard give Pikeville its toughest game in the playoffs even though they all where running clocks.

But I would like to see that game though. Pikeville vs Somerset would of been a dandy this year.
6A Trinity
5A Covington Catholic
4A Johnson Central
1A Pikeville
3A Belfry
2A Somerset