Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ELK
WOW this animal is populating pretty well where i live. Did anyone get to go on that special elk hunt last year?
I saw a pretty nice bull the other day near Dewey Lake.
I saw about 50+ across from Thunder Ridge not too long ago.. I see them at Dewey Lake a lot too.. They're also some by the Pikeville airport..never hunted them though
I have seen them everywhere this year
The elk are populating eastern kentucky fairly well, I hope within the next 10 years they will be a open season, instead of drawing 10 or 20 tags.
that would be awesome hawkamania. I would love to be acle to go ELK hunting
We will go together Hurley, with our rifles, lawn chiars, and a can of skoal. Dont forget a cooler of beer, and a CD player with AC/DC either. Try to find someones backporch we can shoot off of, so we dont have to walk in all over pike county to get them. just kiddin. Now thats redneck huntin. lol.
I seen a big bull elk on the back of someones trailer I think it was friday. He was one of the lucky ones who won the lottery. Those are some massive animals.
"hawkamania" Wrote:The elk are populating eastern kentucky fairly well, I hope within the next 10 years they will be a open season, instead of drawing 10 or 20 tags.

that will be a definite possibility at the rate the population is growing
They reproduce like rabbits lol...How long does it take an mamma elk to her her foal/baby?
It wont be too long untill we get to hunt them like Deer....
i saw alot last night at Dewey Lake.
"football05" Wrote:They reproduce like rabbits lol...How long does it take an mamma elk to her her foal/baby?

They only have young once a year. I'm not sure if they are like deer and can have two or three at once though.
I bet they are like a horse a horse takes 11 months to have their foal..But I could be wrong.
I wouldnt want to kill one and try to get it out of the hill I think they cut them into quarters and then carry them out of the hill
Not to long ago I went four wheeling over in Brethit county and I no sooner got on my four wheeler to start it up and I heard something and when I looked I seen three bulls out in an opening and to my surprise (I don't know if they were used to humans or not) but they weren't skiddish at all. We stood there and looked at them for about three minutes talking and all and they didn't even pay any attention to us.
there always up by pikeville airport
"zbragg09" Wrote:Not to long ago I went four wheeling over in Brethit county and I no sooner got on my four wheeler to start it up and I heard something and when I looked I seen three bulls out in an opening and to my surprise (I don't know if they were used to humans or not) but they weren't skiddish at all. We stood there and looked at them for about three minutes talking and all and they didn't even pay any attention to us.
What were they saying?
"Wyatt Earp" Wrote:What were they saying?

:lol:
"Wyatt Earp" Wrote:What were they saying?
Who knows what they were saying, they were speaking Spanish.
"Johnny Ringo" Wrote:Who knows what they were saying, they were speaking Spanish.
Either that or chinese. Same thing.
I would love to take my kids to see them. Where would be the best place to see a lot of them.

Of course, my husband would love to hunt them...
"Pirate Pal" Wrote:I would love to take my kids to see them. Where would be the best place to see a lot of them.

Of course, my husband would love to hunt them...
My Mom works at Alice Lloyd College and she see's them everyday. A few minles before you get to the college there is an old coal tipple where National Mines used to be in operation they are out every evening she says. I went to a Christmas dinner at the college Sunday and got to see them, I'd say there was 25-30 grazing beside the road. That's probably a good place to go if you don't want to get out of your car. Just be careful and drive slow if you go there, they're huge and she says they stand in the middle of the road sometimes.
my uncle got drawn for the elk hunt last year...good meat
They're pretty thick in Bell County too.
"TERMINATOR X" Wrote:my uncle got drawn for the elk hunt last year...good meat

I would love to try some. Is it a lot like deer meat?

:Hungry:
Haven't seen any this far north yet but I heard someone spotted a couple in Martin County.
This year according to the KDWF there will be 200 permits this year. Some will be bulls other cows. I am going to apply this year but if I get it I hope its a WMA tag and not open zone, because I don't have anyplace to hunt locally. My father in law hit one with his truck (totaled) good meat. Nothing like road kill dinner...
there are always elk down around thunder ridge
ive seen a few in pburg