3. Lexington Christian
4. Breatthit County
5. Beechwood
6. Owensboro Catholic
7. Caldwell County
8. Murray
9. Newport
10. Shelby Valley

The Bluegrass Rivals Rankings Committee is made up of members selected from this site.
Cards deserve to be out of 1 spot
Past the top 3, I dont think anyone has a shot at winning state if Breathitt is really the #4 team. They are solid, but are not a top 5 team unless 2A is way down. I have seen them twice now. They are very solid and Collins kid can play, but not good enough to be a contender.
Not sure why Shelby Valley moved up into the top 10. Only thing that happened since the last ranking is they blew out a severely overmatched Knott County team. Not exactly the statement win that shows you deserve to be ranked.

If anything, I thought maybe Valley would be ranked after opening the season with an impressive blowout of Letcher Central, then beating Pike Central. But if that wasn't enough to move the needle, then I don't think I would rank them now either. Probably wait to see if they can get a win at West Carter in a couple weeks.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Not sure why Shelby Valley moved up into the top 10. Only thing that happened since the last ranking is they blew out a severely overmatched Knott County team. Not exactly the statement win that shows you deserve to be ranked.

If anything, I thought maybe Valley would be ranked after opening the season with an impressive blowout of Letcher Central, then beating Pike Central. But if that wasn't enough to move the needle, then I don't think I would rank them now either. Probably wait to see if they can get a win at West Carter in a couple weeks.

If my comets aren’t able to fix their offense and special teams then SV will have no problem winning that game
Westside Wrote:1. Somerset
2. Mayfield
3. Lexington Christian
4. Breatthit County
5. Beechwood
6. Owensboro Catholic
7. Caldwell County
8. Murray
9. Newport
10. Shelby Valley

The Bluegrass Rivals Rankings Committee is made up of members selected from this site.

If it were me ranking, I'd have:

1 Somerset
2 Mayfield
3 LCA
4 Beechwood
5 Owensboro Cath.

I think the Top 5 is where the champ will come from, probably one of the Top 2 will win it. Outside of that I dont see a team that can make it to Kroger. Breatthit County is a good team but I just dont see them being able to compete with teams like Somerset, Mayfield, or LCA. Their schedule is very favorable for a great regular season but does nothing to help them prepare for the playoffs. And dont jump on me, it's just my opinion, which really doesnt matter, Lol.
My thinking is mayfield still should be #1 over look me :please:
64SUR Wrote:My thinking is mayfield still should be #1 over look me :please:

I wouldn't have been mad at all if they were still #1. The Cards will be fine.
WestCarterComet Wrote:If my comets aren’t able to fix their offense and special teams then SV will have no problem winning that game

350 yards of offense last game. Only problem I can see is in the QB play but that’ll come with time, maybe. Nichols is supposed to be a good QB prospect, maybe get him in there?
1. Somerset
2. Mayfield
3. LCA
4. Beechwood
5. Caldwell
6. Owensboro Cath
7. Danville
8. Lloyd
9. Murray
10. Shelby Valley
More Cowbell Wrote:Not sure why Shelby Valley moved up into the top 10. Only thing that happened since the last ranking is they blew out a severely overmatched Knott County team. Not exactly the statement win that shows you deserve to be ranked.

SV’s schedule is just as weak if not harder than Breathitt Co and they are #4? So either there is fake hype about all of these teams causing them to be ranked so high or 2a really is down this year. Maybe both?
#55PirateFan Wrote:I wouldn't have been mad at all if they were still #1. The Cards will be fine.

Could be a good loss for us. This is a Cards team that is loaded with enough talent to bring it home. We lost to what I believe to be a pretty good football team and I hope we learn from it but when this happens it time to give up the 1 spot refocus and see if we can be who we thought we could be.
Eagle2009 Wrote:SV’s schedule is just as weak if not harder than Breathitt Co and they are #4? So either there is fake hype about all of these teams causing them to be ranked so high or 2a really is down this year. Maybe both?

SV has 5 district games this year, which gives them 5 nondistrict games:

Pike Central
Letcher Central
Knott Central
Phelps
Ridgeview, VA

Looking at this, I think they did an ok job of scheduling. Pike Central is a 3A school that generally has a pretty good team, and is usually on the same talent level as Valley. They play every year in the PCB. Letcher Central is a 5A school that is a good opponent for SV, and they are only about 30 minutes apart. Considering the close proximity I would hope these two would play every year.

The other 3 I'm not sure about. Knott may be 3A, and they did beat SV in 2017, but most years I would expect SV to win comfortably. Phelps is a 1A school that Valley should expect to beat, even if they do have a great player in Dom Francis. And Ridgeview (which would be 3A in KY) is a case of punching a little too high above your weight class. These two have played the last 3 years, and all 3 were Ridgeview blowouts.

Personally, I think you gain the most from competitive games. I don't think blowouts help much in the long run, no matter which side of it you are on. I would like to see SV drop Ridgeview, Knott, and Phelps, and pick up teams either at or slightly above their level.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I suspect #1 will be attained again before the season is over.

Shelby Valley had been knocking on the top 10 in a couple polls. A team in front of Shelby Valley in the rankings was defeated last week. This loss shifted a few points from the losing team to Shelby Valley which pushed them into the top 10.
#55PirateFan Wrote:If it were me ranking, I'd have:

1 Somerset
2 Mayfield
3 LCA
4 Beechwood
5 Owensboro Cath.

I think the Top 5 is where the champ will come from, probably one of the Top 2 will win it. Outside of that I dont see a team that can make it to Kroger. Breatthit County is a good team but I just dont see them being able to compete with teams like Somerset, Mayfield, or LCA. Their schedule is very favorable for a great regular season but does nothing to help them prepare for the playoffs. And dont jump on me, it's just my opinion, which really doesnt matter, Lol.

That's my top 5 as well. I'd maybe flip 4-5, but the champion will be one of those teams.
I know Breathitt has played a weak schedule, but you can only play who is in front of you. This schedule was put together a couple of years ago, when we were down, but I look for Coach Moore to beef up the schedule, beginning next year. Hopefully, it doesn't come back to bite us with the RPI and seeding in the playoffs, but unfortunately I think it will. At the end of the day, "to be the best, you have to beat the best". Regardless, if it's in regional playoffs or the state semi finals, there is no hiding from the top teams in 2A. As far as the rankings go at this moment, I believe Breathitt can compete with the likes of Somerset and Mayfield, but we may have to wait until the playoffs to get a chance to earn some respect. Regardless, I am glad our program is headed back in the right direction. Go Bobcats.
Somerset's offensive line looks like CAL from last year based on film.
Two of the top teams in the same district too...LCA and Somerset.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Somerset's offensive line looks like CAL from last year based on film.

I don't think they've quite got the height of CAL's line, particularly at tackle, but they've got some big boys.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Somerset's offensive line looks like CAL from last year based on film.

Ummmm I’m gonna have to disagree.