Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'01 Prestonsburg vs. '03 Belfry
Who would win this match up and how would you compare some of these players ! I know both of them have great back fields and great linemen ! I think Prestonsburg's '01 team is alot bigger than belfry's '03 team so I'd say Pburg 14-19 !
I think Belfy's line and their backs were better.It's hard to get a much bigger line than Belfry'03 and Howard and Jones would have run all over them. IMO
Do you not know Matt Slone or Micheal Fannin??? Pburg line was huge with the Pennington twins and Evan McNutt and Charlie Johnson, etc. Plus Matt Slone was a great LB and so was Chris Spriggs ! I'd say Slone and Howard where about the same size and style players !
Let's see...Belfry's '03 team was state champs and P-burg's '01 team wasn't...I would have to say Belfry's '03 team!!!:1: :p

Honestly, I don't remember P-burg's '01 team so I can't compare. I just know that the Belfry '03 team was amazing, from the coaching staff down to the waterboys...lol
Belfry was bigger up-front, better backs and probably a better D.
blackcat_student Wrote:Do you not know Matt Slone or Micheal Fannin??? Pburg line was huge with the Pennington twins and Evan McNutt and Charlie Johnson, etc. Plus Matt Slone was a great LB and so was Chris Spriggs ! I'd say Slone and Howard where about the same size and style players !

Thats where the comparison ends. Howard was a much better RB, and so was Jones.

This is a little off track, but John Ortega is a lot closer in comparison to Howard & Jones than Slone is/was.

Fannin doesn't even have a horse in the race. Joe Blackburn was a much better back to be honest.
Belfry would win this fantasy match up in my opinion...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion is purely subjective. We will be hard pressed to find a bias-free opinion.

For a fair comparison maybe we should look at the stats:

NOTE: these stats were before the state championship game

Prestonsburg-

Total points=600
Points Allowed=149

Rushing-
Matt Slone= 2223 yards
Mikeal Fannin= 1140 yards

Passing-
Joey Willis= 1021 yards

Belfry-

Total Points=459
Points Allowed=166

Rushing-
Doug Howard= 1472 yards
David Jones= 1320

Passing-
Paul Howard= 849 yards
Prestonsburg would have not been able to stop the backfield....We would have ran all night. Elizabethtown had no answer for Doug & David, and neither did the other 12 teams we beat that year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BelfryPride Wrote:Prestonsburg would have not been able to stop the backfield....We would have ran all night. Elizabethtown had no answer for Doug & David, and neither did the other 12 teams we beat that year.

The same thing could be said in regard to Prestonsburg’s backfield. How do you know that Belfry could stop Matt Slone and Mikeal Fannin? Prestonsburg's D was very athletic that year, and I am sure they would be more than able to handle the task of stopping Belfry's all-star backfield.
01 pburg
Doug and David>Prestonburg '01
Honestly, I don't remember P-burg's '01 team so I can't compare. I just know that the Belfry '03 team was amazing, from the coaching staff down to the waterboys...lol[/QUOTE]

UMM this is the Pburg team that beat Belfry and made you all fumble 7 times in one game...:letsparty Smile
football05 Wrote:Honestly, I don't remember P-burg's '01 team so I can't compare. I just know that the Belfry '03 team was amazing, from the coaching staff down to the waterboys...lol

UMM this is the Pburg team that beat Belfry and made you all fumble 7 times in one game...:letsparty Smile[/QUOTE]

One kid had 6 of those fumbles himself and at least 3 of those were without contact.

BTW......He wasn't in Belfry's backfield in '03.
cbls_75 Wrote:Doug and David>Prestonburg '01

Thats funny..Smile
Prestonsburg '01- 42
Belfry '03 - 21

I followed both of these teams.. and I think they P'burg team would have dominated this game... there was a huge difference in the teams that these teams faced at state
I also think Prestonsburg would have won this game. You had the same style runners in Slone and Howard, with sudden gives to Jones and Fannin that caught the D offguard. The thing is that Prestonsburg had a passing game that Belfry couldn't have stopped imo. Chris Jervis was too tall for any of Belfry's players to guard unless you put Jones on him, but in all honesty the way Jervis jumped plus his heigth, Jones wouldn't have matched up well at all.
I played against Pburg 01 and honestly I dont think they woulod have won against Belfry. If we didnt fumble we would have beat them and alot of those were without contact. But you guys had the better team that year and won. But I do feel Belfry would have won because you guys had trouble with Caudill when he did hold onto the ball and he wasnt as tuff as Doug and Dave. Also what beat us that game was our secondary. Our safties looked lost at times and played alot of plays not the way they were supposed to be. The running game was affective but not like the pass. Our line held its own against Pburg especialy the second game. Personaly I think 03 and 04 Pburg was just as good as 01 the lines were quicker. Especialy 04 and 03 had Jamerson at his best and that is hard to stop.

But both teams were good teams so how bout we just leave it at that because we will never know. But I personaly think Belfry would have won and that was from playing against Pburg.
Both were great and we will never know who would have beat who. It appears that all of the Belfry fans say Belfry and all the Blackcat fans say P-Burg.

Belfry's team wasn't beat by a class AA team for 2 years and that says a lot. They were only beat by one KY team during that two year period and that was the first game of that two year period.
BCF4L Wrote:I also think Prestonsburg would have won this game. You had the same style runners in Slone and Howard, with sudden gives to Jones and Fannin that caught the D offguard. The thing is that Prestonsburg had a passing game that Belfry couldn't have stopped imo. Chris Jervis was too tall for any of Belfry's players to guard unless you put Jones on him, but in all honesty the way Jervis jumped plus his heigth, Jones wouldn't have matched up well at all.

There is a lot of thought into this post !! Lets see where did Chris Jervis play college football at?? Isn't this the same David Jones that saw extensive playing time as a true freshman at a SEC school and was voted onto the All-SEC Freshman team .
Belfry Wins Wrote:I played against Pburg 01 and honestly I dont think they woulod have won against Belfry. If we didnt fumble we would have beat them and alot of those were without contact. But you guys had the better team that year and won. But I do feel Belfry would have won because you guys had trouble with Caudill when he did hold onto the ball and he wasnt as tuff as Doug and Dave. Also what beat us that game was our secondary. Our safties looked lost at times and played alot of plays not the way they were supposed to be. The running game was affective but not like the pass. Our line held its own against Pburg especialy the second game. Personaly I think 03 and 04 Pburg was just as good as 01 the lines were quicker. Especialy 04 and 03 had Jamerson at his best and that is hard to stop.

But both teams were good teams so how bout we just leave it at that because we will never know. But I personaly think Belfry would have won and that was from playing against Pburg.

If your refering to Jeremy Caudill he gratuated in '99 or '00 !
throw deep Wrote:There is a lot of thought into this post !! Lets see where did Chris Jervis play college football at?? Isn't this the same David Jones that saw extensive playing time as a true freshman at a SEC school and was voted onto the All-SEC Freshman team .
And what teams did he play that actually passed the football? He made the all-SEC freshman team because of special teams. Don't think that requires any skills dealing with defending the pass. Don't get me wrong I think David Jones is a great player, I just don't think he could have matched up well with P-burg's receivers in 01.
BCF4L Wrote:And what teams did he play that actually passed the football? He made the all-SEC freshman team because of special teams. Don't think that requires any skills dealing with defending the pass. Don't get me wrong I think David Jones is a great player, I just don't think he could have matched up well with P-burg's receivers in 01.

I take it you didn't go to the '03 or '04 state games BCF4L. If I recall, Belfry won against 2 of the best passing teams in the state (At least in 2A their respective years.) David made some big defensive plays against the pass.
I would say that the 01 Prestonsburg team would win
David Jones was a good player, But I remember only one time that he actually broke up a pass, "trevor compton tossed it to joe blackburn and he threw it down field and david came out of no where and knocked the ball away". That kept the '04 regular season (belfry vs. Pburg game) from getting up by two touchdowns ! Plus we played the number one passing team before we went to Pond Creek in Breathitt Co.
Pirate Pal Wrote:I take it you didn't go to the '03 or '04 state games BCF4L. If I recall, Belfry won against 2 of the best passing teams in the state (At least in 2A their respective years.) David made some big defensive plays against the pass.
Actually I didn't so I guess that is where I'm lacking some information. Smile
blackcat_student Wrote:David Jones was a good player, But I remember only one time that he actually broke up a pass, "trevor compton tossed it to joe blackburn and he threw it down field and david came out of no where and knocked the ball away". That kept the '04 regular season (belfry vs. Pburg game) from getting up by two touchdowns ! Plus we played the number one passing team before we went to Pond Creek in Breathitt Co.
I remember that game, great game.
Pirate Pal Wrote:I take it you didn't go to the '03 or '04 state games BCF4L. If I recall, Belfry won against 2 of the best passing teams in the state (At least in 2A their respective years.) David made some big defensive plays against the pass.

In '03 (I'm pretty sure) the team they played didn't realize they could pass against them until it was too late.. Belfry had a good team both years I just don't think they match the '01 P'burg team
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:In '03 (I'm pretty sure) the team they played didn't realize they could pass against them until it was too late.. Belfry had a good team both years I just don't think they match the '01 P'burg team

Sorry, but you're wrong there. Both state games was completely opposite teams. Belfry was the running team and Elizabethtown & Owensboro Catholic were passing teams. If I'm not mistaken, Etown's QB went to Marshall on scholly.
Pirate Pal Wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong there. Both state games was completely opposite teams. Belfry was the running team and Elizabethtown & Owensboro Catholic were passing teams. If I'm not mistaken, Etown's QB went to Marshall on scholly.
He did.