Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the new playoff system
Reading about it in a news paper, my understanding is this... you basically play a district tournament. Afterwards, the eight district champions are seeded one through eight. The semi-finals are then reseed one through eight. This all but does away with east verse west in the state championship.

If that is correct, and looking at Lexingto Herold's preseason rankings... 2A will only have a maximum of six preseason top ten teams remaining in the entire class. Surely, there is a way to seed the teams better than this. Single A will also lose two top six teams before seeding as well. 3A will lose one of the top three teams since CAL and DeSales are in the same district. How watered down will the late rounds be now?
bball_fan Wrote:Reading about it in a news paper, my understanding is this... you basically play a district tournament. Afterwards, the eight district champions are seeded one through eight. The semi-finals are then reseed one through eight. This all but does away with east verse west in the state championship.

If that is correct, and looking at Lexingto Herold's preseason rankings... 2A will only have a maximum of six preseason top ten teams remaining in the entire class. Surely, there is a way to seed the teams better than this. Single A will also lose two top six teams before seeding as well. 3A will lose one of the top three teams since CAL and DeSales are in the same district. How watered down will the late rounds be now?

Good question. KHSAA has screwed this up so bad I wouldn't be shocked at all if Belfry ended up playing Trinity for the 1A championship. It's a mess!
I just read the Louisville Journel's explanation. I'm just going to prepare everyone for what to expect in 2A only.

With district play...

Only one team from the Danville, Lexington Chris, Somerset and Washington Co makes the reseeding.

Same with Mayfield, Murray and Caldwell.

Now remember the top ten teams for Lexington Herald's preseason are...

1. Mayfield
2. Beechwood
3. Lex. Chris.
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Caldwell
7. Owens. Cath.
8. Walton Verona
9. Murray
10. Breathitt

Washington County would be 12 if you go by others receiving votes.

Out of that top ten, only six have a chance of advancing to the round of eight. When they seed the west and east, three of those remaining 6 top ten teams, four of the top three to be exact, would be on one side. So Mayfield, if they win it for example, basically has to play a top ten team every week of the playoffs while Beechwood would not see a top ten team until the final four.
The region champs are not seeded 1-8. It's seeded 1-4 East and 1-4 West.

For rounds 3/4 it plays out with higher seeded teams host.

Best RPI remaining wears dark colors for title game.
FoSho Wrote:The region champs are not seeded 1-8. It's seeded 1-4 East and 1-4 West.

For rounds 3/4 it plays out with higher seeded teams host.

Best RPI remaining wears dark colors for title game.

I said that.
bball_fan Wrote:I said that.

You said 1-8? And that East doesn't play West in the finals, which isn't true.
bball_fan Wrote:Reading about it in a news paper, my understanding is this... you basically play a district tournament. Afterwards, the eight district champions are seeded one through eight. The semi-finals are then reseed one through eight. This all but does away with east verse west in the state championship.

If they eliminated districts altogether and just seeded the regions starting in round 1 this would be more equitable and remedy the problem a great deal.
Iam4thecats Wrote:If they eliminated districts altogether and just seeded the regions starting in round 1 this would be more equitable and remedy the problem a great deal.

I said the same thing until another poster on here done a break down of the travel in a system like this! Some teams ...if they made a deep run...would travel 500 miles in 4 weeks! So this way is a no go !
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I said the same thing until another poster on here done a break down of the travel in a system like this! Some teams ...if they made a deep run...would travel 500 miles in 4 weeks! So this way is a no go !

I don't care.
#1 a Beechwood shouldn't be able to get to thanksgiving without beating a top 10 team.
#2 for a team to go on the road 4 weeks in a row they would have to not be a very good team and not very good teams don't win 3 consecutive road playoff games.
bball_fan Wrote:I said that.

I said when they seed the west and east... but nvm.
- I have no problem with the intent of this system on the whole.

- I don't mind using a CPU ranking system to figure seeds.

- My biggest gripe remains that the current RPI system is flawed. It is strictly based off wins vs. losses and winning percentages and does not take a power of victory into the equation. It tries to account for out of state competition, but the current RPI is very lackluster in truly factoring in those games. Margin of victory, size and quality of opponent, and road/neutral site wins have no bearing.

The example I use, if 1A Pikeville goes on the road and beats 8-2 6A Tates Creek by 49 points, you get the same credit as if 6A Simon Kenton plays at home and beats 8-2 1A Ludlow by 6 points. Anyone can see that Pikeville's win is much more impressive than Simon Kenton's, but the CPU sees them as the same all things considered.

Additionally, if 2A Mayfield goes on the road and beats the 3X Defending State Champion 9-1 team from Tennesse by 4 TD's... and that team beats 9 really good large school teams. It weighs it the same as if 2A Shelby Valley beats 1A Honaker, VA who goes 9-1 by a point and all the teams Honaker beats are basically the sisters of the poor.

- With all this in mind, my second biggest gripe is that you can either be rewarded or penalized by being "forced" to play District opponents that count toward your RPI. Noone has ultimate say in who the KHSAA puts in your District or how many teams are in your District. In a system that weigh opponent's winning percentage heavily, some teams will ultimately have their RPI negatively effected by being forced to beat team in their District.

2A Walton-Verona for example will always be dealt a bad deck because they have 4 District games against teams that usually won't have a winning record. Meanwhile, 2A Somerset will always have a favorable deck against two teams that will win a bunch of games, and being in a 4-team District they also have an extra Non-District game where they can schedule whoever they think will best give them a chance for more RPI points.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:- I have no problem with the intent of this system on the whole.

- My biggest gripe remains that the current RPI system is flawed. It is strictly based off wins vs. losses and winning percentages and does not take a power of victory into the equation. It tries to account for out of state competition, but the current RPI is very lackluster in truly factoring in those games. Margin of victory, size and quality of opponent, and road/neutral site wins have no bearing.

The example I use, if 1A Pikeville goes on the road and beats 8-2 6A Tates Creek by 49 points, you get the same credit as if 6A Simon Kenton plays at home and beats 8-2 1A Ludlow by 6 points. Anyone can see that Pikeville's win is much more impressive than Simon Kenton's, but the CPU sees them as the same all things considered.

Additionally, if 2A Mayfield goes on the road and beats the 3X Defending State Champion 9-1 team from Tennesse by 4 TD's... and that team beats 9 really good large school teams. It weighs it the same as if 2A Shelby Valley beats 1A Honaker, VA who goes 9-1 by a point and all the teams Honaker beats are basically the sisters of the poor.

- With all this in mind, my second biggest gripe is that you can either be rewarded or penalized by being "forced" to play District opponents that count toward your RPI. Noone has ultimate say in who the KHSAA puts in your District or how many teams are in your District. In a system that weigh opponent's winning percentage heavily, some teams will ultimately have their RPI negatively effected by being forced to beat team in their District.

2A Walton-Verona for example will always be dealt a bad deck because they have 4 District games against teams that usually won't have a winning record. Meanwhile, 2A Somerset will always have a favorable deck against two teams that will win a bunch of games, and being in a 4-team District they also have an extra Non-District game where they can schedule whoever they think will best give them a chance for more RPI points.

Well said and I agree 100%. I dont like KHSAA's point system at all. It's very flawed in my opinion. And as far as the playoffs, I've said it many times, I like the way WV does it. The top 16 teams make the playoffs in each class. 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, and so on. And the highest remaining seeds play at home. Very simple! And I dont care about the travel argument. It's part of the game. And to be honest, players enjoy those trips with their coaches and teammates. It's all about making memories and also allows kids to get out and see the state that normally wouldn't any other time have that opportunity. It's to complicated and KHSAA is always changing something every year. Find something and stick with it! And the way they award teams points is a joke.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:- I have no problem with the intent of this system on the whole.

Ohios Harbin points are better because they try to address some of these issues.

And the gold standard would be contracting to use Calpreps like California does.
Here are the improvements I would make to the RPI:

1. It is unclear whether the RPI ends at the conclusion of the regular season or after the 2nd Round of the playoffs. I suggest it ends at the conclusion of the regular season for KY competition, and for Out of State teams it is not calculated until their regular season ends. Use Maxpreps if needed to get a true gauge on opponent's winning percentage and subsequent opponent's opponent's winning percentage instead of just assigning a .500 winning percentage.

2. Add a multiplier that if you "play up" in Class you get a bonus for your win, and subsequently you get penalized for "playing down". The way it stands now, the smartest thing for big schools to do is load up on small schools that win a lot of regular season games. This will help curb that.

3. Have bonus points added at the conclusion of the regular season for scheduling or beating teams that win their regular season District Championship, also bonus points for road/neutral site wins over teams that finish as either #1 or #2 in their District.

4. Teams in a 5-team District have the option to include or omit their weakest win in District play. For those that choose to omit their weakest win, they can choose to use the weakest non-District result for a second time.

The system is a summation, so you can't just throw out a bad win against a weak team or you lose points. This though, allows a team to not have their wins weighted unfairly because they are forced to play a weak District team that someone from a 4-team District could schedule freely. At the same time, you should not be given anything more than your lowest result of games you chose to schedule.

An example:
Let's say Walton Verona drops a win against 0-10 Gallatin County that improves their RPI by 1.8 points if they left it (arbitrary number). Of their six remaining Non-District games, their lowest result result was a non-District loss to 6-4 1A Newport Catholic that if they take it improves their RPI by 2.4 points (even though they lost).

On the flip side, let's say 3A Belfry plays in a tough District that year. Belfry's worst win is against 4-6 Magoffin County that improves their RPI by 3.8 points. Belfry may choose to keep that win if their lowest Non-District result was a loss to an Out of State 6-5 2A Team that only raises their RPI by 3.6 points.
Iam4thecats Wrote:And the gold standard would be contracting to use Calpreps like California does.

To be honest, I am not sure why they didn't do just that since the technology already exists and it weighs out of state teams already.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Well said and I agree 100%. I dont like KHSAA's point system at all. It's very flawed in my opinion. And as far as the playoffs, I've said it many times, I like the way WV does it. The top 16 teams make the playoffs in each class. 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, and so on. And the highest remaining seeds play at home. Very simple! And I dont care about the travel argument. It's part of the game. And to be honest, players enjoy those trips with their coaches and teammates. It's all about making memories and also allows kids to get out and see the state that normally wouldn't any other time have that opportunity. It's to complicated and KHSAA is always changing something every year. Find something and stick with it! And the way they award teams points is a joke.

The only issue with this is geography. West Virginia can do this because you may only have a 4.5 hour drive from the furthest two points in the State. Kentucky can't get by with that.

I have always said this is what I wish would happen:
- Seed the Semi-States 1 thru 12 using a more advanced RPI system. Seeding the Semi-State keeps a team like Paducah Tilghman from ever having to come to Belfry. It helps to break the State in half for distance.

- The top 3 teams get in from each District, not the Top 4. The worst blowouts are the 1 vs. 4 games and the teams who are most effected by travel budget are the 4 seeds. This also gets rid of winless teams making the playoffs which we all hate.

-The District Champions get a First Round BYE and are guaranteed a Top 4 seed in their Semi-State. The winners are seeded 1-4, so if a team wins a weak District.. they get rewarded by getting a First Round BYE, but they now must potentially play the best Non-District winner and the #1 overall seed to reach the Semi's. This preserves the significance of District games in the regular season and rewards a team for winning their District.

- The First two Rounds are hosted by the higher seeded team.

- The Third Round is also hosted by the higher seeded team, as long as their stadium meets minimum requirements for field condition, locker room and media needs, and visitor seating. If these are not met the home team must find a neutral site venue that checks those boxes.

- The State Semi-Finals (4th Round) is ALWAYS on a neutral site.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The only issue with this is geography. West Virginia can do this because you may only have a 4.5 hour drive from the furthest two points in the State. Kentucky can't get by with that.

I have always said this is what I wish would happen:
- Seed the Semi-States 1 thru 12 using a more advanced RPI system. Seeding the Semi-State keeps a team like Paducah Tilghman from ever having to come to Belfry. It helps to break the State in half for distance.

- The top 3 teams get in from each District, not the Top 4. The worst blowouts are the 1 vs. 4 games and the teams who are most effected by travel budget are the 4 seeds. This also gets rid of winless teams making the playoffs which we all hate.

-The District Champions get a First Round BYE and are guaranteed a Top 4 seed in their Semi-State. The winners are seeded 1-4, so if a team wins a weak District.. they get rewarded by getting a First Round BYE, but they now must potentially play the best Non-District winner and the #1 overall seed to reach the Semi's. This preserves the significance of District games in the regular season and rewards a team for winning their District.

- The First two Rounds are hosted by the higher seeded team.

- The Third Round is also hosted by the higher seeded team, as long as their stadium meets minimum requirements for field condition, locker room and media needs, and visitor seating. If these are not met the home team must find a neutral site venue that checks those boxes.

- The State Semi-Finals (4th Round) is ALWAYS on a neutral site.

I still like the way it's done in WV but that's just me. Travel is just part of it. But what you said would be fine with me to. Anything would be better than the way it is now. And I never could understand how a winless team could ever make the playoffs. It's like the "participation trophy" thing. A winless team don't deserve it.
Actually I just looked it up and the Regional round is 1-4 east and 1-4 west. However the Semifinals are not it is 1-4 . 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3 . So yes you can get a all East or All West Final.
I again do the playoff like wv does traveling is part of the game team in huntington travel to the eastern pandhandle is a 6-7 hour trip on a bus no different then here you can play on friday night or on Saturday day or night one of the playoff system
All I know when you find out who’s playing who just let me know so I can be there at wherever