Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Preseason 2A Rankings
FoSho Wrote:[quote=Frank Martin]

The KHSAA is a joke as far as transfers are concerned.

They sure seem to pick and chose who they’re gonna give a hard time about moving...
plantmanky Wrote:Im not buying into the Mayfield is the top in 2A this year. However, they very well may be getting a few transfers from Graves Co soon so that might change a few things.

I’ll bite who would you put ahead of them? If they’re anywhere close to last year the only team I could see hanging with them from 1-4a would be Cal..
Everyone all ready got that trophy setting in case in Mayfield. I'll tell you one thing they better not over look The Somerset Jumpers because they are loaded. Look for a super year from them.
JustThinking Wrote:Everyone all ready got that trophy setting in case in Mayfield. I'll tell you one thing they better not over look The Somerset Jumpers because they are loaded. Look for a super year from them.

I agree with you Somerset will be a good team but they do have to go to Lexington Christian this year and that will be a tough place to win plus I don’t know about Danville yet. This is a tuff district in 2A. Mayfield thou is a very good football team and will be the #1 team in 2A
Patriot1 Wrote:I agree with you Somerset will be a good team but they do have to go to Lexington Christian this year and that will be a tough place to win plus I don’t know about Danville yet. This is a tuff district in 2A. Mayfield thou is a very good football team and will be the #1 team in 2A

I would definitely put Mayfield preseason #1 in 2A.....but the idea that one poster is pushing that Mayfield is the best team 1A thru 4A is pretty hard to swallow. C’mon.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I would definitely put Mayfield preseason #1 in 2A.....but the idea that one poster is pushing that Mayfield is the best team 1A thru 4A is pretty hard to swallow. C’mon.

That is likely taking things several steps beyond reality but most of us here are excited about this teams potential. I think this teams offense has the potential to look like a video game team
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I would definitely put Mayfield preseason #1 in 2A.....but the idea that one poster is pushing that Mayfield is the best team 1A thru 4A is pretty hard to swallow. C’mon.

I wasn’t trying to discredit any team or crown anyone a champion just my opinion. I’m Belfry fan when they’re not playing the Hounds but if you haven’t seen Mayfield’s front line it’s very impressive. Matter of fact the last line I seen so dominant on both sides of the ball was at Campbell field two years ago...and I’d have said the same thing about Belfry that year...
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:That is likely taking things several steps beyond reality but most of us here are excited about this teams potential. I think this teams offense has the potential to look like a video game team

Good luck to the Cardinals
single shot Wrote:I wasn’t trying to discredit any team or crown anyone a champion just my opinion. I’m Belfry fan when they’re not playing the Hounds but if you haven’t seen Mayfield’s front line it’s very impressive. Matter of fact the last line I seen so dominant on both sides of the ball was at Campbell field two years ago...and I’d have said the same thing about Belfry that year...

my comment had nothing to do with Belfry. When you insinuate that a team could run the table 1A-4A.....that's a pretty big sandwich to handle. Mayfield may very well be the best team in all four classes.....but there are ALOT of teams on that gauntlet....Pikeville, Johnson Central, Beechwood, Corbin, Boyle, Central, Beechwood, Lex Cath, just to name a few.

You may very well be correct.....but, to me.... its just fuzzy math....especially in June:biggrin:
Beechwood has the real deal at qb. Hergott is turning heads at football camps.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:my comment had nothing to do with Belfry. When you insinuate that a team could run the table 1A-4A.....that's a pretty big sandwich to handle. Mayfield may very well be the best team in all four classes.....but there are ALOT of teams on that gauntlet....Pikeville, Johnson Central, Beechwood, Corbin, Boyle, Central, Beechwood, Lex Cath, just to name a few.

You may very well be correct.....but, to me.... its just fuzzy math....especially in June:biggrin:

Like I said it’s just my opinion and I’ll admit a lot of it’s based upon the team I seen last year. I also said I thought CAL could possibly be better I’m just going off what I’ve seen. People also said it was fuzzy math when I thought Pulaski would be a title contender last year too...
UK1fan Wrote:Beechwood has the real deal at qb. Hergott is turning heads at football camps.

You are definitely right he is a good quarterback.
Mayfield I feel will cruise to another State Championship since those two big boys are gone.
Unless there's a MAJOR upset, I think 2A is Mayfield's to lose. Just not alot of big time competition now that CAL and DeSales have moved up. And I'm in no way throwing off on other teams in 2A. I expect Somerset to be very good and competitive this year along with a couple other teams but Mayfield is just on another level in my opinion.
single shot Wrote:I’ll bite who would you put ahead of them? If they’re anywhere close to last year the only team I could see hanging with them from 1-4a would be Cal..

Wow! Bold statement! I like Mayfield and I think 2A is theirs to lose this coming season but I think your way off on this comment. I wouldn't put anyone ahead of them in 2A or below this year, but no way would they row through 3A and 4A. CAL would not be the only one that would hang with them this year. I'm not so sure that CAL makes it out of the West in 3A this year. DeSales may have something to say about that. But I do think the Cardinals are the heavy favorites in their class this year.
Still say Somerset will make a strong case for who's best in 2A Football. UK has offered Somerset QB a Scholarship and MLB a preferred walk-on.
JustThinking Wrote:Still say Somerset will make a strong case for who's best in 2A Football. UK has offered Somerset QB a Scholarship and MLB a preferred walk-on.

Agreed, and don’t forget their WR (forget his name) who also is their best athlete. With at least three D1 players on the roster, the state finals seem like a realistic expectation in Class AA.
WR's name ism Grundy, he is a dandy. They also have a transfer from Florida 6' 4" 205 and a very good WR. I think they will be a handful.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:WR's name ism Grundy, he is a dandy. They also have a transfer from Florida 6' 4" 205 and a very good WR. I think they will be a handful.

Looks like Somerset could be very good this year, and make a run at it.
JustThinking Wrote:Still say Somerset will make a strong case for who's best in 2A Football. UK has offered Somerset QB a Scholarship and MLB a preferred walk-on.

Sounds like the Jumpers should hold the top spot. Mayfield is pretty much just some average joes who will give it everything they have to represent their hometown just like their dads and grandads did before them knowing that football will likely end in a Cards jersey.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Sounds like the Jumpers should hold the top spot. Mayfield is pretty much just some average joes who will give it everything they have to represent their hometown just like their dads and grandads did before them knowing that football will likely end in a Cards jersey.

I think everyone is a little over zealous about the jumpers personally. They’ve lost some tremendous talent defensively over the last two years - not to mention the district is still Danville, LCA, and now a formidable Washington Co.

I see what you did there though! Poor Mayfield and their many state titles haha. Enjoy the offseason banter, Mayfield still holds the top spot.
Mayfield fans:
"Mayfield is the best team and it's not even close. Mayfield would win state in any of the bottom 14 classes. This offense will score more points than the 2004 Dallas Mavericks."

Another fanbase:
"Well we should be good this year, maybe if we play Mayfield we can at least try to win?"

Mayfield fans:
"Ah well we might as well just mail the trophy to you guys then since you think you're so good!"
RoShamBo Wrote:Mayfield fans:
"Mayfield is the best team and it's not even close. Mayfield would win state in any of the bottom 14 classes. This offense will score more points than the 2004 Dallas Mavericks."

Another fanbase:
"Well we should be good this year, maybe if we play Mayfield we can at least try to win?"

Mayfield fans:
"Ah well we might as well just mail the trophy to you guys then since you think you're so good!"

This is 100% accurate. Every other 2a fan base should just agree to play for 2nd place so that Mayfield can go lose another state title game - Danville and CAL both played Somerset in the weeks prior to their actual state title... in both cases the game was more competitive with the jumpers than with Mayfield it seemed.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Agreed, and don’t forget their WR (forget his name) who also is their best athlete. With at least three D1 players on the roster, the state finals seem like a realistic expectation in Class AA.

With the new playoff format that regular season matchup with Beechwood looms large. I'm assuming Mayfield will get the #1 seed when it gets to the semifinals. If Somerset is fortunate to survive rematches with some combination of LCA/Danville /Washington County in the first two rounds, the result of that regular season game with Beechwood could determine the number 2 seed and home field advantage in the rematch. Of course that's assuming that those 2 would get the 2/3 seeds if they get that far. A lot of assumptions there but an interesting scenario for the Beechwood/Somerset regular season tilt.
JumperPride1 Wrote:I think everyone is a little over zealous about the jumpers personally. They’ve lost some tremendous talent defensively over the last two years - not to mention the district is still Danville, LCA, and now a formidable Washington Co.

I see what you did there though! Poor Mayfield and their many state titles haha. Enjoy the offseason banter, Mayfield still holds the top spot.

No one in Mayfield will likely be feeling like poor Mayfield. While we do not have a bunch of D-1 kids we should have a really solid group of above average joes. I will be surprised if in the end that the trophy does not come home with us. This should be our best shot at a title in the last couple years. But for now I am content with Somerset or others being peg as the favorite
JumperPride1 Wrote:This is 100% accurate. Every other 2a fan base should just agree to play for 2nd place so that Mayfield can go lose another state title game - Danville and CAL both played Somerset in the weeks prior to their actual state title... in both cases the game was more competitive with the jumpers than with Mayfield it seemed.

Coming from a Bunny fan I find this statement odd. Somerset is like 0 for like 7 or 8 or so in title games. We have lost several but we have won more than we have lost
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Coming from a Bunny fan I find this statement odd. Somerset is like 0 for like 7 or 8 or so in title games. We have lost several but we have won more than we have lost

Also accurate. Somerset has ZERO championships. Doesn’t make me disagree with the other posters though.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Also accurate. Somerset has ZERO championships. Doesn’t make me disagree with the other posters though.

I assume your previous post was a shot at me or the Cards so I was just stating the obvious. We have taken it on the chin the last 2 title games. Lost to a couple of really good teams, it happens and all we can do about it is try and get back the next year. Its all good, nobody can win it every time. If being a Cards fan is a crime lock me up.
I would say District Champions will look something like this

District 1 Mayfield
District 2 Owensboro Catholic
District 3 Edmonson County
District 4 Somerset
District 5 Carroll County
District 6 Beechwood
District 7 Breathitt County
District 8 West Carter
Shelby Valley will win District 8.