Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Tournament
The field is pretty much already known, with the exception of the 54th draw. Hazard and Perry have avoided each other the last several years, so lets assume they do this year as well... the field would consist of...

Hazard
Perry
Knott
Letcher
Powell
Estill
Breathitt
Wolfe/Jackson City

I would say this is the most wide open field in recent memory. It's all about who is hot at the right time. These teams have beat each other all year long with the exception being the Wolfe/Jackson City winner. And Maybe Breathitt, but they are a team that can scare you if you slip up or if they are on!

Who would be your favorite if the tournament started today?

Also, there is still the possibility that Hazard and Perry Draw each other, opening the door for Leslie or Buckhorn to sneak in.
Since 2006 that has pretty much been the field for the regional tournament. Just looking at scores it seems that Perry Central has cooled off, Breathitt County is hot, and Hazard is the favorite. Hazard has run-ruled Powell, Estill, LCC, and KCC. Beat Breathitt twice holding them to a run both times. PCC is probably realistically the only team that can knock the Dawgs off. It's a rivalry game.
I don't see anybody beating hazard or perry. Does anyone know where the region is held this year?
rawlingsfan Wrote:Since 2006 that has pretty much been the field for the regional tournament. Just looking at scores it seems that Perry Central has cooled off, Breathitt County is hot, and Hazard is the favorite. Hazard has run-ruled Powell, Estill, LCC, and KCC. Beat Breathitt twice holding them to a run both times. PCC is probably realistically the only team that can knock the Dawgs off. It's a rivalry game.

Hazard did run rule Estill, however, Estill threw an 8th grader at them last time. Estill has both Hazard and PCC to end the season at home. I guarantee it's a good game this time around with Hazard. I am going to assume Estill will not throw an 8th grader this time. As far as Perry goes, PCC beat Estill 1-0 and the only run that Perry got was unearned.

All that being said, this region is WIDE OPEN. It is held at Letcher Central this year. I would put my money on Estill or Hazard.
Easy Wind Wrote:I don't see anybody beating hazard or perry. Does anyone know where the region is held this year?

Letcher Central
Literally Powell and Letcher just killed Perry?
I think it’s Hazards to lose unless someone catches them on an off night. I know Perry beat them, but they played nearly perfect and Hazard was off.
Ive seen everyone in the region play several times. Who ever is the hottest at that moment will win. Hazard, Perry, Estill, Knott, Powell, Breathitt, and Letcher all have a shot. Gotta take one game at a time.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Ive seen everyone in the region play several times. Who ever is the hottest at that moment will win. Hazard, Perry, Estill, Knott, Powell, Breathitt, and Letcher all have a shot. Gotta take one game at a time.

I would agree with this statement except for Letcher and Breathitt. They can absolutely upset someone and maybe even 2, but in this years tournament, its going to take 3 quality arms with the exception of the team that draws Jackson City/Wolfe. I am just not sure that those teams have the quality arms to run 3 games in 4 days. Not saying it CAN'T be done, but they are a harder row to hoe in my opinion.
jumpshooter Wrote:Hazard did run rule Estill, however, Estill threw an 8th grader at them last time. Estill has both Hazard and PCC to end the season at home. I guarantee it's a good game this time around with Hazard. I am going to assume Estill will not throw an 8th grader this time. As far as Perry goes, PCC beat Estill 1-0 and the only run that Perry got was unearned.

All that being said, this region is WIDE OPEN. It is held at Letcher Central this year. I would put my money on Estill or Hazard.

They may have thrown an eighth grader but they also had 0 base runners. Jarrett Napier was perfect that night. Even if they pitched their ace they still would not have scored any runs.
blitzingback Wrote:They may have thrown an eighth grader but they also had 0 base runners. Jarrett Napier was perfect that night. Even if they pitched their ace they still would not have scored any runs.

You know as well as I do (or I hope you do anyway), that teams play better all around when they have their 1 or 2 guy on the mound. It's a mental thing. Also, their head coach was not there that night, also a momentum thing. Napier pitched well for sure, but I would look for this to be a game this Saturday in Irvine. I keep saying this, but it's true... THIS REGION IS WIDE OPEN. There is not dominant team this year like Hazard in '13 or Estill in '08.
jumpshooter Wrote:You know as well as I do (or I hope you do anyway), that teams play better all around when they have their 1 or 2 guy on the mound. It's a mental thing. Also, their head coach was not there that night, also a momentum thing. Napier pitched well for sure, but I would look for this to be a game this Saturday in Irvine. I keep saying this, but it's true... THIS REGION IS WIDE OPEN. There is not dominant team this year like Hazard in '13 or Estill in '08.

Hazard lost to Powell County in the first round in 13. Estill only beat Perry Central by a run, on a late HR in 08.
jumpshooter Wrote:You know as well as I do (or I hope you do anyway), that teams play better all around when they have their 1 or 2 guy on the mound. It's a mental thing. Also, their head coach was not there that night, also a momentum thing. Napier pitched well for sure, but I would look for this to be a game this Saturday in Irvine. I keep saying this, but it's true... THIS REGION IS WIDE OPEN. There is not dominant team this year like Hazard in '13 or Estill in '08.

I'm sorry but this region is not wide open. Wide open would mean 8-10 teams have a chance. Realistically, it's hazard or perry's to lose.
There is only two head coaches in the 14th that have won a regional championship, or even been to the finals (as a head coach) actively coaching within the region right now. You can throw the regular season games out the window, and ultimately I don't think either care about a district championship very much. They've both won regional titles as a district runner-up.

They're both long time sandbaggers, and they line everything up to put themselves in position to win region. Seems like everyone else is satisfied winning a meaningless district trophy and celebrate every time they win a single game in the regional tournament.

I'll be very surprised if it isn't a Hazard-Perry rematch for the 4th straight year. But it is baseball, and it's single elimination in KY. So anything can happen.
Easy Wind Wrote:I'm sorry but this region is not wide open. Wide open would mean 8-10 teams have a chance. Realistically, it's hazard or perry's to lose.

If you believe that, you are delusional, my friend.
rawlingsfan Wrote:There is only two head coaches in the 14th that have won a regional championship, or even been to the finals (as a head coach) actively coaching within the region right now. You can throw the regular season games out the window, and ultimately I don't think either care about a district championship very much. They've both won regional titles as a district runner-up.

They're both long time sandbaggers, and they line everything up to put themselves in position to win region. Seems like everyone else is satisfied winning a meaningless district trophy and celebrate every time they win a single game in the regional tournament.

I'll be very surprised if it isn't a Hazard-Perry rematch for the 4th straight year. But it is baseball, and it's single elimination in KY. So anything can happen.

I can see Hazard sandbagging, but not Perry. I can only speak for Estill because I am an Estill fan, but every time Estill and Perry play, Perry throws their stud. Last year, Estill beat Perry 3-0 when Perry threw Cottongame and this year they threw Couch and beat Estill 1-0. That's 2 years in a row in which Perry did not sandbag. But I know that Hazard does it.
jumpshooter Wrote:I can see Hazard sandbagging, but not Perry. I can only speak for Estill because I am an Estill fan, but every time Estill and Perry play, Perry throws their stud. Last year, Estill beat Perry 3-0 when Perry threw Cottongame and this year they threw Couch and beat Estill 1-0. That's 2 years in a row in which Perry did not sandbag. But I know that Hazard does it.

Just because it's your #1 on the hill doesn't mean you aren't sand bagging. Pitch selection and location of pitches can be just as important in setting a team up in case you meet when it counts even when it's the same pitcher. If you have your #1 just throw 90% fastballs middle-in and not worry about the outcome of the regular season game would be an example. It's much easier to motivate a group of boys that have just lost to a team as opposed to trying to get them motivated to play against a team they just beat. IMO.

Game Changer has changed the way you can sandbag offensively because teams can get more advanced spray charts and statistics over the season. But not too long ago you could have your hitters dead pull everything when you played a team, then work on going opposite field prior to the postseason against non-region opponents. Not sacrifice bunting or stealing bases, then turn it on the next time you play.
jumpshooter Wrote:If you believe that, you are delusional, my friend.

I get dilusional on Saturday nights after about 12
Easy Wind Wrote:I get dilusional on Saturday nights after about 12
Confusedinglepar you should start earlier like me and be asleep long before 12!
jetpilot Wrote:Confusedinglepar you should start earlier like me and be asleep long before 12!

Hahahaha