Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jason Foley named Southwestern Head Coach
Hybrid Wrote:I would say he beat better teams than foley has

Foley in two years as a HS coach made it further than French did in his 5 years at SW. SW has always had a good D, just couldn’t score points against good teams (Pulaski)
Take a look at Taylor County schedule short of Moore it’s horrible
Hybrid Wrote:Take a look at Taylor County schedule short of Moore it’s horrible

Moore is likely better than Pulaski. Watched Pulaski get a running clock put on them in a half against a good team.
It’s obvious ur not a fan of Larry French so I’ll just let u go on hatin
Hybrid Wrote:It’s obvious ur not a fan of Larry French so I’ll just let u go on hatin

I just don’t understand the hype. I think he was a great hire for a program that’s been struggling middlesboro. But I don’t het the hype for him being at sw when he hadn’t really done anything except beat average teams and never make it past 3rd round.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I just don’t understand the hype. I think he was a great hire for a program that’s been struggling middlesboro. But I don’t het the hype for him being at sw when he hadn’t really done anything except beat average teams and never make it past 3rd round.

He’s got 2 state championships under the old class system (Boyle Co), What exactly was South Western before him? I count John Hines as a friend but he’s been at Pulaski for the better part of 30 years French was at SW for 8 and most of those were during Pulaski’s dominate years
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Foley in two years as a HS coach made it further than French did in his 5 years at SW. SW has always had a good D, just couldn’t score points against good teams (Pulaski)

If they scored 30 plus on Pulaski everytime you would discredit Pulaski as a good team, like you have with them being beat by possible the 3rd or 4th best team in the state. Nobody ever scores enough points in their last games. Taylor scored 0 in their last game, in the last 5 years SW has scored at least a touchdown in every game.

Just doing some quick math, SW actually gave up over 25 points per game in region finals (including a mud fest that nobody could score in). I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the offense.

Yes Foley had one good year, in 4A and beat a good JJ Weaver who is going to UK. That’s it, He also got put out in the first round. Anyone can look at Taylor or Louisville Moore’s schedule and know neither team really challenged themselves when picking out who to play.

Let’s not compare anything he has done at Taylor to Larry French. Taylor was 7-3 regular season when he took over, the cupboard wasn’t exactly empty.
single shot Wrote:He’s got 2 state championships under the old class system (Boyle Co), What exactly was South Western before him? I count John Hines as a friend but he’s been at Pulaski for the better part of 30 years French was at SW for 8 and most of those were during Pulaski’s dominate years

That’s why I said I don’t get the hype of French at SW. Yes, he’s won state and that’s great. Impressive accomplishment. But nobody has yet to say anything impressive he did at SW. Yet instead make excuses. This past season was a complete choke job by not beating Pulaski. Hes had other years he beat Pulaski in regular season and not in the playoffs. SW lost by 16 to Pulaski the year before he came and lost by 8 his first year. Same common ground, losses to Pulaski.
Kywarrior14 Wrote:If they scored 30 plus on Pulaski everytime you would discredit Pulaski as a good team, like you have with them being beat by possible the 3rd or 4th best team in the state. Nobody ever scores enough points in their last games. Taylor scored 0 in their last game, in the last 5 years SW has scored at least a touchdown in every game.

Just doing some quick math, SW actually gave up over 25 points per game in region finals (including a mud fest that nobody could score in). I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the offense.

Yes Foley had one good year, in 4A and beat a good JJ Weaver who is going to UK. That’s it, He also got put out in the first round. Anyone can look at Taylor or Louisville Moore’s schedule and know neither team really challenged themselves when picking out who to play.

Let’s not compare anything he has done at Taylor to Larry French. Taylor was 7-3 regular season when he took over, the cupboard wasn’t exactly empty.

The running clock comment was to the corbin game not cov Cath. Everyone in the state knew they didn’t have a shot against cov Cath. When Foley took over Taylor he had to build a program that Dudley had ran into the ground. Each year they finished better, including this year winning region (making it further than SW during French). Took a team that had 38 players out and got the numbers in the 50s. Wouldn’t call the cupboard full by any means. Pulaski was down this year, this should’ve been the year SW finally got over the hump and didn’t.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:That’s why I said I don’t get the hype of French at SW. Yes, he’s won state and that’s great. Impressive accomplishment. But nobody has yet to say anything impressive he did at SW. Yet instead make excuses. This past season was a complete choke job by not beating Pulaski. Hes had other years he beat Pulaski in regular season and not in the playoffs. SW lost by 16 to Pulaski the year before he came and lost by 8 his first year. Same common ground, losses to Pulaski.

I’m a Corbin homer and I’d have hated to play Pulaski again at the end of the season. French just didn’t have from top to bottom the talent that’s at Pulaski just look at the middle school programs, SW isn’t winning any middle school championships. I’m not saying Foley isn’t a great young coach cause I believe he is, I just don’t understand why French has to be such a bad coach for Foley to be a good one, To me it’s apples and oranges trying to compare the two, you got one at the end of his career and one who’s just beginning. If Foley wins the games and championships French has during his career he’ll be considered a legendary coach by most and rightfully so...
single shot Wrote:I’m a Corbin homer and I’d have hated to play Pulaski again at the end of the season. French just didn’t have from top to bottom the talent that’s at Pulaski just look at the middle school programs, SW isn’t winning any middle school championships. I’m not saying Foley isn’t a great young coach cause I believe he is, I just don’t understand why French has to be such a bad coach for Foley to be a good one, To me it’s apples and oranges trying to compare the two, you got one at the end of his career and one who’s just beginning. If Foley wins the games and championships French has during his career he’ll be considered a legendary coach by most and rightfully so...

Didn’t matter when corbin played Pulaski they’d have smoked them regardless.
SW did beat Northern this past year, but in all fairness Northern hasn’t won a middle school championship since foley left.
I’m not by any means saying French is a bad coach. Two state championships speak for itself. I just don’t understand the people acting like going from French to Foley is this massive downgrade when French never truly won a big game while he was at Southwestern.
single shot Wrote:I’m a Corbin homer and I’d have hated to play Pulaski again at the end of the season. French just didn’t have from top to bottom the talent that’s at Pulaski just look at the middle school programs, SW isn’t winning any middle school championships.

And here’s the problem with your argument. SW was winning MS championships and for the majority of French’s tenure he had some of the best talent to come through SW. The talent he had was evenly matched with PC if you know anything about football. That group at SW rivaled the group at Belfry that went on their big run a couple years ago. Southwesterns drop off in talent is just now coming, and that’s why French jumped shipped. I’m personally not saying French isn’t a great coach. He certainly knows what it takes to win. You need Talent and he went to SW when the talent was there and he left when he thought it was declining.
TheOracle Wrote:Coach Foley was very, very well liked when he was the head coach for middle school team at Pulaski County. Coach Hines and the Pulaski administrators had a "transfer meeting" with all of their athletes the day that the news of the Foley hire started to break, somewhere back around February 10th or so. The basic gist of the meeting was that the coach and admins said they would investigate any athletes that transferred to Southwestern and challenge any and all transfers any transfers through the KHSAA.

Bush league, Coach Hines. Bush league.

Like to point out that Foley is well liked by parents, but not so much in the football community. He has a history of unprofessionalism and recruiting which doesn’t bode well for your reputation among coaches.

Also like to point out that PC held that meeting after there was some well founded rumors that Foley had reached out to/was actively recruiting PC players/parents (as well as players and parents from other nearby high schools.)
goBIGblue82 Wrote:And here’s the problem with your argument. SW was winning MS championships and for the majority of French’s tenure he had some of the best talent to come through SW. The talent he had was evenly matched with PC if you know anything about football. That group at SW rivaled the group at Belfry that went on their big run a couple years ago. Southwesterns drop off in talent is just now coming, and that’s why French jumped shipped. I’m personally not saying French isn’t a great coach. He certainly knows what it takes to win. You need Talent and he went to SW when the talent was there and he left when he thought it was declining.
Don’t worry Foley is working on getting more players
goBIGblue82 Wrote:And here’s the problem with your argument. SW was winning MS championships and for the majority of French’s tenure he had some of the best talent to come through SW. The talent he had was evenly matched with PC if you know anything about football. That group at SW rivaled the group at Belfry that went on their big run a couple years ago. Southwesterns drop off in talent is just now coming, and that’s why French jumped shipped. I’m personally not saying French isn’t a great coach. He certainly knows what it takes to win. You need Talent and he went to SW when the talent was there and he left when he thought it was declining.

I was referencing recently, Southwestern hasn’t won a middle school championship since 2012 Pulaski has two classes on the roster 15’ and 16’ I believe. I know football, I understand French had a lot of talent but it’s hard to just show up at a school that’s never been in contention and change things with just talent you have to change the culture also. Pulaski didn’t just turn into a contender overnight John Hines has been there 30 years and there was a time that school system could’ve cared less about football they’re athletes played basketball and that was it. I think what Foley did at Taylor Co was amazing I didn’t agree with people talking trash about him when he left or trying to diminish what he did but I don’t think Coach French deserves it either...
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Didn’t matter when corbin played Pulaski they’d have smoked them regardless.
SW did beat Northern this past year, but in all fairness Northern hasn’t won a middle school championship since foley left.
I’m not by any means saying French is a bad coach. Two state championships speak for itself. I just don’t understand the people acting like going from French to Foley is this massive downgrade when French never truly won a big game while he was at Southwestern.

I’m not saying we couldn’t have beat Pulaski again if we played but I don’t think we would’ve smoked them, they improved quite a bit after we played. I mean getting to the 5A semifinals is no small feat. I don’t think going to Foley was a massive downgrade I just think French is gone let it be he don’t have to be a terrible coach for Foley to succeed at Southwestern...
single shot Wrote:I’m not saying we couldn’t have beat Pulaski again if we played but I don’t think we would’ve smoked them, they improved quite a bit after we played. I mean getting to the 5A semifinals is no small feat. I don’t think going to Foley was a massive downgrade I just think French is gone let it be he don’t have to be a terrible coach for Foley to succeed at Southwestern...

The funny part about the corbin Pulaski game was if you look at both teams by just the eye test you’d have picked Pulaski.. then corbin beat them senseless. That’s when it showed Chase was going to be special at QB.
I think French will do a solid job at Middlesboro.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:The funny part about the corbin Pulaski game was if you look at both teams by just the eye test you’d have picked Pulaski.. then corbin beat them senseless. That’s when it showed Chase was going to be special at QB.
I think French will do a solid job at Middlesboro.

I’m going to miss that group as a whole Chase turned into the face of the group and he was definitely special but I don’t remember a group from top to bottom that stood out like they did, great group of young men.

I wish Coach French and Middlesboro nothing but the best of luck I’m just not sure demographics are there for football anymore, especially with Dudley just down the road and Frazier a couple miles the other way. Hope I’m wrong though would definitely like to see all the Bell kids at Middlesboro...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure it's possible for me to disagree with a post more than I do this one. By comparing the talent at SW to the talent of some of the best Belfry teams of the last few years shows what you don't know about football. You also have no idea why Larry left. You know nothing about it. I wish SW nothing but success next year and wish Larry nothing but success.
64black&gold Wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure it's possible for me to disagree with a post more than I do this one. By comparing the talent at SW to the talent of some of the best Belfry teams of the last few years shows what you don't know about football. You also have no idea why Larry left. You know nothing about it. I wish SW nothing but success next year and wish Larry nothing but success.

The post I quoted was referring to middle school groups and yes that 2012 middle school SW group was very close to the Belfry Group in middle school. You adamantly disagreeing tells me you never saw the two groups play at that level. However once you get to high school you have 4 classes playing together instead of 1. Difference being southwestern had two really good classes in that 4 year window and Belfry having all classes loaded. And for some reason or another SW didn’t keep their nucleus together. With more than 50% of their group not playing during high school or playing elsewhere. SW and Belfry played at varsity level in 2013 and 2014 with it being relatively close in both games. Despite the fact that in 2014 SW was lead by freshman and sophomores in almost every statistical category and Belfry being a senior lead team with great underclassmen too. Didn’t help over the years that SW lost a lot of great players from their middle school groups to other schools during their high school careers with some of their best talent going to PC, Somerset, and Boyle. And other kids not playing in high school for whatever reason. I guess I just don’t have that coaches persepective that only reason SW was winning was because the coaching. It’s funny how that works. They were winning because the coaching, but when they lost it was because the talent they lacked. Usually the great programs see it the exact opposite. They acknowledge the players for the successes and the coaches take the responsibility for losing. We can agree to disagree on that. However as I said earlier I do think French will turn Middlesboro around just like everywhere he’s been and do it quick. I wish nothing but success for all KY HS football players and most programs.
64black&gold Wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure it's possible for me to disagree with a post more than I do this one. By comparing the talent at SW to the talent of some of the best Belfry teams of the last few years shows what you don't know about football. You also have no idea why Larry left. You know nothing about it. I wish SW nothing but success next year and wish Larry nothing but success.

BTW I would be willing to put up what I don’t know about football talent across the state against you any time you would like to debate. Always up for some good banter and always looking to learn.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:The post I quoted was referring to middle school groups and yes that 2012 middle school SW group was very close to the Belfry Group in middle school. You adamantly disagreeing tells me you never saw the two groups play at that level. However once you get to high school you have 4 classes playing together instead of 1. Difference being southwestern had two really good classes in that 4 year window and Belfry having all classes loaded. And for some reason or another SW didn’t keep their nucleus together. With more than 50% of their group not playing during high school or playing elsewhere. SW and Belfry played at varsity level in 2013 and 2014 with it being relatively close in both games. Despite the fact that in 2014 SW was lead by freshman and sophomores in almost every statistical category and Belfry being a senior lead team with great underclassmen too. Didn’t help over the years that SW lost a lot of great players from their middle school groups to other schools during their high school careers with some of their best talent going to PC, Somerset, and Boyle. And other kids not playing in high school for whatever reason. I guess I just don’t have that coaches persepective that only reason SW was winning was because the coaching. It’s funny how that works. They were winning because the coaching, but when they lost it was because the talent they lacked. Usually the great programs see it the exact opposite. They acknowledge the players for the successes and the coaches take the responsibility for losing. We can agree to disagree on that. However as I said earlier I do think French will turn Middlesboro around just like everywhere he’s been and do it quick. I wish nothing but success for all KY HS football players and most programs.

Curious who transferred to Boyle Co during that time. I honestly don't know.

I have heard that certain QB came to Boyle Co about transferring before his junior year and was told that the Rebels didn't need a QB.
SW had a kid that played QB/LB that was one of their top athletes in one of their groups that I believe ended up at Boyle.
single shot Wrote:I was referencing recently, Southwestern hasn’t won a middle school championship since 2012 Pulaski has two classes on the roster 15’ and 16’ I believe. I know football, I understand French had a lot of talent but it’s hard to just show up at a school that’s never been in contention and change things with just talent you have to change the culture also. Pulaski didn’t just turn into a contender overnight John Hines has been there 30 years and there was a time that school system could’ve cared less about football they’re athletes played basketball and that was it. I think what Foley did at Taylor Co was amazing I didn’t agree with people talking trash about him when he left or trying to diminish what he did but I don’t think Coach French deserves it either...

Hines has been at Pulaski 20 years, not 30.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Hines has been at Pulaski 20 years, not 30.

:eyeroll: Ok 24 to be exact, I didn’t think it would be a big deal so I didn’t look it up, but I’ve smacked myself lightly upon each wrist and promise to starve for the next couple of days to ensure it don’t happen again...
South Pulaski middle has a good group of kids there this year. with a lot of talent on the rise, I would expect that to transition to the high school. maybe not right off the bat, but eventually things should turn if the middle keeps getting the kids to come play. Foley will bring kids in to play for him from around the area.
Foley may not be able to recruit a lot of kids to Southwestern but you can guarantee that he will try. He doesn't have his ties as coach of Team Kentucky to get his foot in the door with middle school talent like he did on the past.
UCfan1 Wrote:A semi final birth is a semi final birth. Does not matter who you played. You can’t control who you play in district and the playoffs. Takes talent and a good coach. Pulaski has always beaten southwestern not because if schemes but because Coach Hines has a better culture and his kids will play to the final issue. If Foley can do the same at Southwestern. There will be a power struggle for the district. And if Whitley county hits a home run with the coach and rights the ship. They can make it a competitive district.

And plenty of mud
2006 French gets win #200
2016 French gets win #300
So thats an average of 10 wins a season and 2 state titles. In 10 years nothing to question there. Yes SW had some immensely talented kids in the school but a large part of that group did not play. The biggest problem at SW has been depth. Yes those teams fielded a strong 9 kids but the sideline offered no more. His last 2/3 seasons his best player at the time was hurt. Edwards took so many hits but he had no true backup. Not many teams can win the region without their best player. Take Wiley off last years PC team or Jake or Riley off the 2016 team. Point being French fielded some really good teams and had alot of talent. But when one of those guys went down it was tough sledding.
I have two comments #1 if the big Cocks kid transfers to SW they will win the region #2 You can bet, there are some happy divorce lawyers in Pulaski County right now. I willing to gamble that the new coach will cause more divorces than SW has wins. And I'm thinking SW will have 11 wins with Cocks, 6 without Cocks.:Thumbs: