Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the next coach at Clay County?
Missing back to back Region Tournaments for the first time since '46-'47 one has to assume a change is more than possible. Who should be on Big Clays short list? Steve Wright was a name with a championship pedigree thrown around a few years ago. Would Morris leave Middlesboro? Any up and comers in the area?
Clay County needs to leave Coach Morris alone. We are not letting him go anywhere. Middlesboro fan base loves him. He is just fine where he is at.
It’s not the coaching Clay Co.. it’s the parents!!!!!!!
Gray stays at Clay County and makes it to region championship game next year and possibly Rupp, my prediction.
Whether there should be a change or not the argument would probably be centered around the fact Clay is the only team that should return 100% of their production while all the other top teams lose 2-3 of their top 5-6. The preseason rankings would go South and Clay 1/2 in some order with North 3rd. Basically, “anyone should be able to put them in the region championship”. The 13th loses A LOT of their top talent. Ramey, Martin, Adams, Imel, Sizemore, Young, Sanders, etc.
I'm not sure how you can put Clay ahead of North at this point. Reed Sheppard will dominate the district for years to come. They also return Cole Kelley their leading scorer who didnt even play last night.
Prime.Time Wrote:I'm not sure how you can put Clay ahead of North at this point. Reed Sheppard will dominate the district for years to come. They also return Cole Kelley their leading scorer who didnt even play last night.

Sheppard will be in Lexington imo. Cromer and Robinson dominate the next 2 years.
Whether Reed stays or not, Sizemore (won the game at the line) has been there since Keith was coaching and Young does a lot inside.
Prime.Time Wrote:Missing back to back Region Tournaments for the first time since '46-'47 one has to assume a change is more than possible. Who should be on Big Clays short list? Steve Wright was a name with a championship pedigree thrown around a few years ago. Would Morris leave Middlesboro? Any up and comers in the area?

If you want to get out of the district next year you better find someone to handle the ball, and someone to teach them how to play defense. Both was terrible last night.
I don't know how anyone could even consider Clay a favorite next year........Yes they have everyone coming back but look at their results in the post season????.....This group that everyone said had the potential to make a state tournament run...(Not a regional run) has never won a game in the regional tournament....and the only person to play in the regional tournament is Curry as a freshman...... I don't care if you win 30 games in the regular season....if you can't do anything in the post season then in my opinion the season was a failure. Now is it the kids fault? I don't think so........now let the board of education figure out the problem.
cchsfan4life Wrote:I don't know how anyone could even consider Clay a favorite next year........Yes they have everyone coming back but look at their results in the post season????.....This group that everyone said had the potential to make a state tournament run...(Not a regional run) has never won a game in the regional tournament....and the only person to play in the regional tournament is Curry as a freshman...... I don't care if you win 30 games in the regular season....if you can't do anything in the post season then in my opinion the season was a failure. Now is it the kids fault? I don't think so........now let the board of education figure out the problem.

I’m just telling you what they will say. The region will be extremely weak next year so they won’t make any changes with the idea that “they’ll have to do something next year”.
I know there won't be any changes.....but the region won't be any weaker than it is this year......I can't remember when the region was this weak.......South and Knox are decent but nothing like the teams of the past few years.......and North is solid....but not as good as they have been.
All of the top teams lose significant talent. Only one team returns more than like 80% of their production. This was never going to be the year (14-15 last year). Now, if 2020 goes bad then we have real problems.
I don't want to be mean, but I have to state the facts. Gray has proven he is not a very good coach with his game maneuvers and x and o's. Plus now he is the coach that has lead the tigers to a new low, which is not making it to region for two consecutive years. Something that was not even in our thought process 3 years ago when he got the job he was promised. These boys will do decent the next couple years mainly because the region is down. I thought it was down this year besides just a few teams. I would love to have seen this team by now if Marcum would have stayed. Dirty politics never works out in the end.
I think its more likely that Clay doesnt win their district again next year. Yes North loses Sizemore who has been there forever, but despite his excellent game last night hasnt been a big time scorer this year. He does a great job running the team and distributing the basketball. Sheppard will pick up that slack, Kelley will be back, and the will add Davidson who had to sit out this year and will be a top 15 player in the region. Clay has some nice parts, but they havent developed like everyone imagined in middle school. I'll lay development at the feet of the coaching staff.
Prime.Time Wrote:I think its more likely that Clay doesnt win their district again next year. Yes North loses Sizemore who has been there forever, but despite his excellent game last night hasnt been a big time scorer this year. He does a great job running the team and distributing the basketball. Sheppard will pick up that slack, Kelley will be back, and the will add Davidson who had to sit out this year and will be a top 15 player in the region. Clay has some nice parts, but they havent developed like everyone imagined in middle school. I'll lay development at the feet of the coaching staff.

Sheppard will be in Lexington so Coach Cal can watch him is what I've heard. Kid is going to be a good one.
Sheppard will be at North. He loves being apart of this team. The only thing that might change things is IF they sell their 1.5 million dollar house and move. Then they would go to Lexington. Also, I heard with Sheppard at north, others are wanting to come and play with him because he makes everyone around him better. If that happens I see north controlling region for next four years.
Wayne_ Wrote:Sheppard will be at North. He loves being apart of this team. The only thing that might change things is IF they sell their 1.5 million dollar house and move. Then they would go to Lexington. Also, I heard with Sheppard at north, others are wanting to come and play with him because he makes everyone around him better. If that happens I see north controlling region for next four years.

Not with current coach.
insideinfo Wrote:Not with current coach.

Sizemore may not be the best coach in the region.....but IMO he is better than what Clay has on their bench.
[quote=Prime.Time]I think its more likely that Clay doesnt win their district again next year. Yes North loses Sizemore who has been there forever, but despite his excellent game last night hasnt been a big time scorer this year. He does a great job running the team and distributing the basketball. Sheppard will pick up that slack, Kelley will be back, and the will add Davidson who had to sit out this year and will be a top 15 player in the region. Clay has some nice parts, but they havent developed like everyone imagined in middle school. I'll lay development at the feet of the coaching staff.[

I agree 100% Not much "developing talent" has went on at all in Clay. The talent is/was there too.
Clay shoulda never let Marcum walk away. A lot of Clay folks were upset with his region champ game losses. Now they can't even make the region tourney. Im not sure how much effort Glen Gray puts into coaching. Does Clay even do summer ball for the middle and high school? I know a couple kids do their own thing but I've not heard or seen Clay out in the summer ball stuff last couple of years.
I wonder how this Clay County group would progress under the leadership of someone like Coach Pietrowski.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Clay shoulda never let Marcum walk away. A lot of Clay folks were upset with his region champ game losses. Now they can't even make the region tourney. Im not sure how much effort Glen Gray puts into coaching. Does Clay even do summer ball for the middle and high school? I know a couple kids do their own thing but I've not heard or seen Clay out in the summer ball stuff last couple of years.

You might find 8 people out of we’ll say 10,000 adults that didn’t want Marcum regardless of region final losses. The problem is, the 10,000 don’t matter.
Corbin1980 Wrote:I wonder how this Clay County group would progress under the leadership of someone like Coach Pietrowski.

I would rather have Marcum back instead. Clay pretty much owned Corbin during Marcum's tenure.
Nobody ever mentions Isiah Alexander for North. That kid can ball and he will also be back next year. He’s a big reason why North is where they are at!
Northside pride Wrote:Nobody ever mentions Isiah Alexander for North. That kid can ball and he will also be back next year. He’s a big reason why North is where they are at!

I agree. He is a good player.
For the most part, defense and rebounding aren’t “taught”. They are mostly desire and grit. Sure, there are different defensive strategies such as man defense, zone, etc but all are predicated on effort...the same with rebounding. “Want to” isn’t necessarily taught either but it can be ingrained...if you know what I mean. Another lost aspect is the mental planning for each game. Also, the term “you’re only as strong as your weakest link” applies to the coaching staff as well as the team.
Prime.Time Wrote:Missing back to back Region Tournaments for the first time since '46-'47 one has to assume a change is more than possible. Who should be on Big Clays short list? Steve Wright was a name with a championship pedigree thrown around a few years ago. Would Morris leave Middlesboro? Any up and comers in the area?

Until this job is officially open let's not assume anything by starting this thread. We can reopen this if the job does officially come open.