Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 50 Pikeville 48 (15th Region All A Championship)
PHSFAN Wrote:Congrats SV and good luck at All A state.

I figured Pikeville would be in rebuilding mode this season but they seem to be better than I anticipated. SV is a great program and no shame in losing to the Wildcats in bassketball. Obviously the 2 Johnson County Schools will be right there also but depending on the draw I could easily see the 2 playing again in the Expo in a couple of weeks for the region title.

Connor Roberts says... "Rebuilding year? What is a rebuilding year?" That kid is a great player and he could lead them back to Rupp for a third straight season.

But like you said, those 4 schools are a cut above the rest of the region. With the way the bracket is set up, you will have SV and Pikeville on separate sides, as well as Paintsville and JC on separate sides. Whoever wins region will likely have to beat 2 other teams from that group to do it.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PHSFAN Wrote:Congrats SV and good luck at All A state.

I figured Pikeville would be in rebuilding mode this season but they seem to be better than I anticipated. SV is a great program and no shame in losing to the Wildcats in bassketball. Obviously the 2 Johnson County Schools will be right there also but depending on the draw I could easily see the 2 playing again in the Expo in a couple of weeks for the region title.
Rebuilding year? I think we will be better than last years team come tournament time (3 returning starters). Seth quitting the team hurt us or there would’ve been 4 significant starters returning. But with that said, Johnson Central, Paintsville, and Shelby Valley are all better than they were last year. All three of those programs are great programs with terrific coaches. Pikeville has a target on their back and they are going to get everyone’s best game.
For you to say “it’s a rebuilding year” is a slap in the face to the players who have been big time contributors to Pikeville’s recent success.
Shelby Valley outplayed the Panthers, it’s that simple! It’s hard to win a ballgame if you only score 48 points and get out rebounded double digits. Points in the paint was something like 27 - 13, advantage Valley.

Good luck to the Wildcats, hope you represent the 15th well.

Keep working Panthers. It takes a while to get out of football mode and you got a late start in basketball this season. Should start clicking anytime
For the record, Connor (my son) went to Pikeville until 3rd grade, then Virgie/Valley through the first semester of 7th grade, then back to Pikeville. Thought I would clarify that for everyone
I haven't watched a Pikeville basketball game, besides Sweet 16 games the past 2 years, in about 15 years so I admit I know nothing but besides what some of my friends I have that follow it somewhat close were saying in the preseason. And besides the QB and WR from the football team don't even know who else is on the team...so that shows how much I know lol.

No disrespect intended for the players and staff and I hope to be in Rupp again for the 3rd straight year in a couple of weeks cheering them on.
I thought Paintsville would win this one
Valley and Pikeville for the region title.
This was a great game to watch. I don't know the exact stat but Pikeville did a great job of contesting every first shot valley took and valley missed a lot of those shots. What killed Pikeville was no one boxing out and that leading to easy lay ups for valley. But these two teams are almost even as far as talent goes and it could go either way every time they play. I also thought Pikeville took some bad shots when they had the ball and was up by 5 or 6. Too many contested 3's when it wasn't necessary. If they can clean the little things like that up it could be different next time if not then pretty much same story cause valley makes you pay for mistakes like that. With all that said the 15 region should be another good year. And if the pairings work out the right way I think your looking at a JC, Paintsville, Pikeville, and Valley final four. At least I hope it works out that way because these 4 teams would draw an awesome atmosphere in the expo for that semifinal round. Good luck to all teams moving forward.
Coach Roberts Wrote:Rebuilding year? I think we will be better than last years team come tournament time (3 returning starters). Seth quitting the team hurt us or there would’ve been 4 significant starters returning. But with that said, Johnson Central, Paintsville, and Shelby Valley are all better than they were last year. All three of those programs are great programs with terrific coaches. Pikeville has a target on their back and they are going to get everyone’s best game.
For you to say “it’s a rebuilding year” is a slap in the face to the players who have been big time contributors to Pikeville’s recent success.

I’m a Pikeville fan .. but too say this team is as good as last years team is a stretch.. hopefully they will be a 3 peat champ in the region.. time will tell..
jmhsrv1970 Wrote:I’m a Pikeville fan .. but too say this team is as good as last years team is a stretch.. hopefully they will be a 3 peat champ in the region.. time will tell..

I think I know what he means this team is good but they don’t have a Battaile so they don’t have that scoring and his defense you just can’t replace that guy but if Pikeville can get consistent I think there best team in this region
jmhsrv1970 Wrote:I’m a Pikeville fan .. but too say this team is as good as last years team is a stretch.. hopefully they will be a 3 peat champ in the region.. time will tell..
Not having Wyatt’s 24 points a game is definitely hard to replace on offense, only a fool would disagree. I do however believe we are better defensively than last years team. Plus, we have to consider that SV and Paintsville are better than they were last year.
Other than JC’s run of four straight Regional titles a few years back, is there any other team that has won 3 straight Regional championships? I can’t think of any. Rodney Rowe may have done it at SV when he was coaching the boys, but I’m not sure. Raymond Justice pulsar done it at Belfry in the early 90’s. I haven’t really looked into it, just wondering.
Belfry and Paintsville both did in the 90s. Paintsville won 4 in a row from 95-98.

Shelby Valley also won 3 straight from 09-11. The 2011 team being a true cinderella after that 2010 team basically all graduated. They had a losing record that year but still won the 2011 15th Region title.
Coach Roberts Wrote:Not having Wyatt’s 24 points a game is definitely hard to replace on offense, only a fool would disagree. I do however believe we are better defensively than last years team. Plus, we have to consider that SV and Paintsville are better than they were last year.

We will have to agree to dis agree.. replacing Wyatt .. Cade .. and Evan .. with? I love Pikeville.. but I disagree with this team being equal to last years team..
I don’t think this team is better than last years defensively. You had Cade byers that was your rim protector and Evan Rhodes that was your lock down defender the last 2 years. But I think this pikeville team is improving every game. If they could just find some consistency on offense they will be dangerous come tournament time.
jmhsrv1970 Wrote:We will have to agree to dis agree.. replacing Wyatt .. Cade .. and Evan .. with? I love Pikeville.. but I disagree with this team being equal to last years team..

Congrats on Louisville being ranked in the top 25!TongueirateSho Pikeville is fine.
SportsFan67 Wrote:I don’t think this team is better than last years defensively. You had Cade byers that was your rim protector and Evan Rhodes that was your lock down defender the last 2 years. But I think this pikeville team is improving every game. If they could just find some consistency on offense they will be dangerous come tournament time.

They have not been a very good shooting team. But we know they have good shooters. If they heat up with their shooting look out, they could very well end up in Rupp yet again.
Yea I think they have the pieces to do it and just about at all times they have at least 4 guys on the floor that can shoot. I think at times they try to force too much instead of getting in the flow of the game and shooting in rhythm shots. They want to take someone off the dribble too much and those are not high percentage shots. I just hope they put it all together like they are capable of.
the 15th region tournament will be an absolute war.
[quote=jetpilot]Congrats on Louisville being ranked in the top 25!TongueirateSho Pikeville is fine

Not sure if Pikeville being fine was the discussion.. I think we were discussing other teams .. but whatever you say..
And by the way .. congrats to Asbury..