Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAL 34 Mayfield 26 (2A State Championship)
SImpleplan Wrote:Us fans posting on here for Mayfield may not always be classy but I can tell you the boys that played that came today are! Very proud of them! congratulations to both of these teams for fantastic seasons.
Oh, and CAL can't get to 3A quick enough.

I know Mayfield is a classy program. My team needs to steal their coach :biglmao:
Congrats to CAL they won today. The Cardinals played their guts out and truly left it all on the field. This is why I for one am more proud than ever of our team and coaches. The clock has been reset so 364 back to the grocery store!!!!!!
We’ll be there
Here is another stat you won't find in the box score. Mayfield traveled over 900 miles in last 2 weeks. Not an excuse just a fact. That makes me more impressed with this team.
Man that Lex to Mayfield ride home is long when on the L side of things. I thought that CAL was better up front but thought if we could get our QB enough time to throw that we would be ok and for the most part we did get him enough time to throw but we had no answer for running the ball. Cal was just to good up front and the inability to run really hurt the way our offense works allowing the Cal defense to not have to dedicate additional defenders to the run and concentrate on pass defense that they did well. A similar fate on defense. Cal leaves 2A as King of 2A. As for MF, we will prepare for another run at it next year and have a good core to work with.
cardsfan9051 Wrote:Another great recruiting class CAL. Congratulations. Great season cards. Maybe one day the public schools can either recruit with these private schools or they will put them in their own playoff. Either way hats off to CAL.

This is very childish. Cal was the better team like Danville was last year if you have any proof of C.A.L recruitment on any players please turn that into the khsaa. If not please eat some crow and sit down
Well, I’m finally up. It was a long drive back in the rain and was really tired especially after visiting with family. So, no one has been hiding. No reason to be hiding. We played a great game. Against a team like that you have to play absolutely flawless to win. We were close to that but not quiet there. We had some over thrown ball to absolutely wide open receivers, we had a turnover and a couple big penalties. With the way they were stoning us up front, we had to be flawless. I agree with what someone above posted, Wright is good but, it was really the line play and Babin that hurt us. I should’ve stuck with my preseason pick on our team. I just saw as season went on how tough we were and didn’t think there was any way any team in 2a or maybe even higher could match that. The scary part in this is that this is the best offensive team that I have witnessed at Mayfield and it still wasn’t enough against CAL.
While I agree this Mayfield team had a great offense all year, I don't think it was as strong as the 2010 offense. That team scored 733 points vs 699 this year. It also had 3 or 4 outstanding receivers and 2 or 3 great backs, plus the line was a little bigger and stronger. I would rate this one 2nd best. The issue this team had was more on the defensive side. We just didn't have the linebacker play of some of our previous teams and had trouble tackling at times. It showed up in several games this year, Union City, Tilghman, Murray. Teams with bigger, stronger backs gave us trouble. We were just fortunate to be able to outscore most teams, but, CALs D was the best we faced all year and they were able to somewhat contain us. In addition, they were probably the best offensive team we faced, When they had Babin and Wright in the backfield together, it really gave us problems, like it would most teams. Plus, I thought they had a great game plan that they executed to a tee. In saying that and to our credit, we still had our chances and hung around till the end. We certainly didn't embarrass ourselves and I was extremely proud of the team. They never gave up and believed in themselves and never doubted they could win this game. I credit the coaching staff for having these kids in the right frame of mind and doing everything they were capable of to give them the best chance to win and that's all you can ask for.
Yes the game is evolving, but the trenches still matter. When you can put multiple legit D1 linemen together on a hs football team, you are going to win a ton of football games. Look at what Belfry accomplished when they caught lightening in a bottle and had all those D1 linemen on the same team. We are talking about kids with offers from the Michigans and Ohio States of the world. Most hs teams don't have a single kid of that caliber, let alone 3 or 4. And then you surround them with Wrights and Babins. And all this at the 2a level... wow just amazing! Got to give CAL a ton of credit, they are a machine right now. That L they took to Mayfield last Thanksgiving may be the last game they lose for awhile.
Mr cold74 Wrote:This is very childish. Cal was the better team like Danville was last year if you have any proof of C.A.L recruitment on any players please turn that into the khsaa. If not please eat some crow and sit down

Yea im sure you just happen to have a entire line that big and all juniors???? I mean that happens all the time in PUBLIC schools. Cal was better team yesterday. Year in and year out a normal school does not produce guys like that without either giving mommy and daddy a job somewhere or free tuition. And far as the eating crow part, i never said one time we would win. Its hard to compete with schools like that.
cardsfan9051 Wrote:Yea im sure you just happen to have a entire line that big and all juniors???? I mean that happens all the time in PUBLIC schools. Cal was better team yesterday. Year in and year out a normal school does not produce guys like that without either giving mommy and daddy a job somewhere or free tuition. And far as the eating crow part, i never said one time we would win. Its hard to compete with schools like that.

don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.:drooling:
Great game! Run defense has been our Achilles heal all season and it showed. Proud of our boys. We'll be back next season. Met reese smith and a reed something from Boyle County. Nice kids. They were rooting hard as us Mayfield fans for mayfield.
dt812005 Wrote:Great game! Run defense has been our Achilles heal all season and it showed. Proud of our boys. We'll be back next season. Met reese smith and a reed something from Boyle County. Nice kids. They were rooting hard as us Mayfield fans for mayfield.

Lanter?
Yeah that's it. I knew it started with an L but I couldn't remember. They were with 3 other boys from pulaski. Some kid from Danville was walking by and threw them the bird. Didnt know what that was about but it wasnt a joking manner either.
[quote=cardsfan9051]Yea im sure you just happen to have a entire line that big and all juniors???? I mean that happens all the time in PUBLIC schools. Cal was better team yesterday. Year in and year out a normal school does not produce guys like that without either giving mommy and daddy a job somewhere or free tuition. And far as the eating crow part, i never said one time we would win. Its hard to compete with schools like that.[/QUOTE

I honestly don’t believe any of the starters on this team recieve any type of tuition assistance. There may be a couple of kids that have some need based assistance, but I don’t think any of those kids saw the field on Saturday. Most of these kids have been playing together since elementary and middle school. If you would like to enroll your student, we would love to have you. A great education can be had, but no job offers, no free rides, you will need to have a church that you attend though. If you can’t beat them join them. Or just 🤐
The reed lanter kid said his grandparents are from Mayfield and still live here.
By the way the entire defensive backfield were seniors. Must be a conspiracy.
Idk about all that. From what I recall milton wasnt there as a freshman but I may be wrong.
dt812005 Wrote:Idk about all that. From what I recall milton wasnt there as a freshman but I may be wrong.

Milton came to Cal in 6th grade. Starting playing football for Cal in 7th Grade. In case you wondering his parents have very good jobs. Not provided by Cal😇
John Young started in kindergarten. We saw his potential early. Just FYI
Riiiiiiiight. Not provided by Cal
We over here in mayberry are built not bought Mr. 42. Celebrate while yall can
dt812005 Wrote:Riiiiiiiight. Not provided by Cal

That would be correct. Maybe in Mayfield you promise their parents a job at McDonald’s to get them out of Graves County. All we promise them a good education and a tuition bill in the mail.
Riiiiiiiight. Congrats. Built not bought.
2-1
12-2
Good night. I need to go to sleep so I can make it to my school supplied job in the morning.
34-26 2018.
football fan42 Wrote:2-1

With all that bought talent I'd be ashamed of that one loss to little old burger flipping mayberry.
football fan42 Wrote:Good night. I need to go to sleep so I can make it to my school supplied job in the morning.

Make sure you clean the toilets good.