Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs. Pineville 1988 Region Championship
The Panthers, en route to their second consecutive State Championship, fend off a very good Pineville team 21-14 at home to win the Region Championship.

Thought it would be good to share some Region Championship games this week. Probably will have 2004 Williamsburg as well.

Good luck to all teams playing this weekend.

Panther Thunder Wrote:The Panthers, en route to their second consecutive State Championship, fend off a very good Pineville team 21-14 at home to win the Region Championship.

Thought it would be good to share some Region Championship games this week. Probably will have 2004 Williamsburg as well.

Thanks for sharing.
I enjoyed this vid Panther Thunder. Apologies to my Pikeville buddies; I love you guys. But I gotta pull for Pineville!! They've had so much to overcome and have so much pride, I just can't be against them.

However, Pikeville wins by 2 scores I think.
Granny Bear Wrote:I enjoyed this vid Panther Thunder. Apologies to my Pikeville buddies; I love you guys. But I gotta pull for Pineville!! They've had so much to overcome and have so much pride, I just can't be against them.

However, Pikeville wins by 2 scores I think.

Did you think they would win this time Granny, haha haha
It looked like the thing Pikeville's team ran through before the start of the game said 'Dawgs'....Why? What's the story with that? Am I blind?
geauxtigers75 Wrote:It looked like the thing Pikeville's team ran through before the start of the game said 'Dawgs'....Why? What's the story with that? Am I blind?

Someone a little older than I can probably give a more complete answer, but the defense was nicknamed "The Big Dawg Defense".
Patriot1 Wrote:Did you think they would win this time Granny, haha haha

No honey, I don't think they will win but you can be sure they will show up and give everything they have.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:It looked like the thing Pikeville's team ran through before the start of the game said 'Dawgs'....Why? What's the story with that? Am I blind?
"Big Dawg D" called that because lineman Tim Honaker started barking one day in practice. I think they all picked up on it and all started doing it and it took off from there. There also was once a nickname "Goose Egg Gang" for one of the teams that went several games without allowing a single score. Trying to remember the year
Granny Bear Wrote:No honey, I don't think they will win but you can be sure they will show up and give everything they have.

I was only kidding Granny Bear don’t be mad at me
I’m just glad my team doesn’t have to prepare for either one of the teams in this film!
Did Tim Saylor coach Pineville that year?
PHSForever said it right. That was the nickname that was adopted when the outstanding lineman Tim Honaker went into a barking fit one day in practice. After that, it took off, even with a pit bull a a mascot that went to many away games as well as home games. The "Big Dawgs" nickname started in 1987, and continued on into the 1988 season. Nickname for the offense was "The Big Five -0-", also started in 1987, named after the starting front five on the offensive side. Again, that was also carried over into the 88' season. That was a special time produced by a special group of young men.
Panther Thunder Wrote:The Panthers, en route to their second consecutive State Championship, fend off a very good Pineville team 21-14 at home to win the Region Championship.

Thanks Panther Thunder for posting this. As always, great work !
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:PHSForever said it right. That was the nickname that was adopted when the outstanding lineman Tim Honaker went into a barking fit one day in practice. After that, it took off, even with a pit bull a a mascot that went to many away games as well as home games. The "Big Dawgs" nickname started in 1987, and continued on into the 1988 season. Nickname for the offense was "The Big Five -0-", also started in 1987, named after the starting front five on the offensive side. Again, that was also carried over into the 88' season. That was a special time produced by a special group of young men.

That was the year I didn't miss a practice and stood on the sideline and watched the ones play that missed lots of practices Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:Did Tim Saylor coach Pineville that year?

Yeah, last year before going to Cawood.
Things have changed over the years haven't they?
Pineville wasn't that great before coach Saylor got there. They had some great teams in the 60s and early 70s though.
HCS Wrote:Yeah, last year before going to Cawood.

I remember him well at Cawood and dreaded when Whitley County had to play them. They were dreaded more than Bell County. Didn't he have a son that was a good quarterback?
Pikeville was coached by Hillard Howard? You can tell by this video that both teams were great and had great coaching.
Man you gotta love those old hip pads and cowboy collars hahah. It’s a good thing they didn’t have half the crap kids got now days when I played, or I would have looked like a Madden “create a player” with a sponsorship from under armor haha
I don’t know much about that actual game but dear lord, I wish kids now days would hit the holes half as hard as what Pikeville was!
pjdoug Wrote:I remember him well at Cawood and dreaded when Whitley County had to play them. They were dreaded more than Bell County. Didn't he have a son that was a good quarterback?

Jacob Saylor - early 90s.
Cawood was better than Bell through most of the 80s, but Bell took over late that decade.
Can any Pikeville fans tell me a couple local restaurants to eat at (non-chain) on my way to Belfry? Thought wed stop and eat there.

Thanks in Advance!!
Tim Honaker sure was a fun one to watch. Crazy how much the game has changed.
BCHSrebs Wrote:Can any Pikeville fans tell me a couple local restaurants to eat at (non-chain) on my way to Belfry? Thought wed stop and eat there.

Thanks in Advance!!
Depends on your taste buds. Giovanni's pizza is good, have a good variety, or if you want Mexican, El Ponchos/El Azul either one. Another good one is downtown at Chiricos (more Italian based food), or Bank 253 (downtown Pikeville) for everything from sliders to full burgers, chicken, etc. also have Blue Raven downtown as well. If you are in the mood for good hotdogs, milkshakes, etc you can eat at Dorsies Dairy Bar, or Dairy Cheer for hotdogs, burgers, fried mushrooms, onion rings, etc. can't go wrong with any of them, really. Of course we have the chains like Applebee's, Texas Roadhouse, Moes, Jimmy Johns, Penn Station, Steak and Shake etc as well.
Hound05 Wrote:I don’t know much about that actual game but dear lord, I wish kids now days would hit the holes half as hard as what Pikeville was!
Hackney, Deramus, et al could absolutely punish you with their running style. Was always fun to watch.
PHSForever Wrote:Depends on your taste buds. Giovanni's pizza is good, have a good variety, or if you want Mexican, El Ponchos/El Azul either one. Another good one is downtown at Chiricos (more Italian based food), or Bank 253 (downtown Pikeville) for everything from sliders to full burgers, chicken, etc. also have Blue Raven downtown as well. If you are in the mood for good hotdogs, milkshakes, etc you can eat at Dorsies Dairy Bar, or Dairy Cheer for hotdogs, burgers, fried mushrooms, onion rings, etc. can't go wrong with any of them, really. Of course we have the chains like Applebee's, Texas Roadhouse, Moes, Jimmy Johns, Penn Station, Steak and Shake etc as well.

THANKS PHS!! I always like to try a local place when I'm going places I don't get to often. Best of luck this Friday and as always hope for injury free game on both sides!
Wild game and Pineville almost pulled the upset. Pikeville had 4 or 5 turnovers and Pineville scored their TDs after recovering a fumble near the Pikeville goal line and a halfback pass. They actually scored again on another halfback pass but it was nullified by a penalty. Pikeville had one or two TDs called back as well. Pikeville was able to hold on for the win. The following week they beat Beechwood in the semifinals 34-7 at home and then won their 2nd championship in a row by beating Harrodsburg 28-10 (after being down 10-0 at halftime) at Cardinal Stadium in Louisville.

Pikeville and Pineville would meet again the following year (1989) in Pineville. Some were picking Pineville to win after the close game the year before and it was an absolutely packed house in Pineville but Pikeville had another great team led by Steve Bailey and rolled to a 49-0 or 49-7 win (not sure which, hopefully someone can look it up) on their way to their historic 3-peat, the first in history in Kentucky.
PHSForever Wrote:Depends on your taste buds. Giovanni's pizza is good, have a good variety, or if you want Mexican, El Ponchos/El Azul either one. Another good one is downtown at Chiricos (more Italian based food), or Bank 253 (downtown Pikeville) for everything from sliders to full burgers, chicken, etc. also have Blue Raven downtown as well. If you are in the mood for good hotdogs, milkshakes, etc you can eat at Dorsies Dairy Bar, or Dairy Cheer for hotdogs, burgers, fried mushrooms, onion rings, etc. can't go wrong with any of them, really. Of course we have the chains like Applebee's, Texas Roadhouse, Moes, Jimmy Johns, Penn Station, Steak and Shake etc as well.

I thought Dorsies was pretty good for a Drive-In with good burgers and hotdogs. I thought Bank 253 was overpriced and nothing special. Pig in a Poke is decent barbecue. I didn't really find country cooking type place I was looking for. I heard Billy Ray's in Prestonsburg is pretty good. Do you know?
HCS Wrote:Jacob Saylor - early 90s.
Cawood was better than Bell through most of the 80s, but Bell took over late that decade.

I got sick of seeing JACHS posters and hearing air horns. lol