Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 56 Hancock Co. 28
Final
Congrats Cards. Didn't think Mayfield would give up that many points though.
Congrats to Cards.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Congrats Cards. Didn't think Mayfield would give up that many points though.

The JV gave most of those up
dt812005 Wrote:The JV gave most of those up

Don’t think so, I’m pretty sure 20 were put on our starters.
rookie57 Wrote:Don’t think so, I’m pretty sure 20 were put on our starters.

That could be a little worrisome. But more than likely the Cards D just played a little off tonight. Mayfield will be just fine.
#55PirateFan Wrote:That could be a little worrisome. But more than likely the Cards D just played a little off tonight. Mayfield will be just fine.

It’s hard to play with a lot of emotion and fire against a team you know your gonna put a running clock on, having said that, we have made it real tuff for teams to sustain long drives, but we have been suspectable at giving up big plays all year.
Hancock burned Mayfield with the same 2 plays for each of their scores. Facing an offense like the Hornets you have to play assignment football, needless to say, someone was not accounting for the QB. Overall, I think the defense has generally made steady progress over the last month.
Once again, Mayfield's offense hits on all cylinders, basically scoring at will and in a variety of ways with a variety of players. The Hancock offense was basically going nowhere to a big play score. None of the Hornet TDs came via a sustained drive. There scores came with the QB sticking it into the RBs gut up the middle and then pulling it out and hitting the outside for 3 long scores. All 3 were the same play. He was excellent at sucking the Cardinal defense on the middle run and pulling it out and taking off, and once that kid got a step on you, you weren't going to catch him. The 1st 2 were against the Cardinal starting D, the 3rd was against a 1/2 starter, 1/2 backup team with the last against all reserves. I would estimate 90% of there total offense were on those 4 scoring plays. Other than that, the D looked very good.
Mayfield
Kent Trey Matthews ran it 5 times for 150 yards and 2 TD.
Jayden Stinson was 8 of 9 for 214 yards.

Hancock Co.
Darian Clay ran it 11 times for 281 yards and 4TD.
He was 1 of 4 for 20 yards passing.
I was very impressed with Clay (#7) for Hancock. Scored all of their points and made just about all of their tackles.
Most teams will have a hard time out scoring Mayfield, but a perfect storm can happen.
All the credit goes to the Hornets QB...he made those plays almost on his own. Once he got some daylight, he just outran the “speedy” Cardinals. Now, we have speed, but you can always run into someone who is a little faster...so you account for them...on every play. That was either poor execution of that on our young men, or poor preparation by our coaches. I have complete confidence in both our coaches and our players to learn from this because I don’t think we can wholly adopt the strategy of just out scoring our opponents with our offense. Certainly not a complaint...just an observation.
Kracken Wrote:I was very impressed with Clay (#7) for Hancock. Scored all of their points and made just about all of their tackles.

He’s a stud, and a sophomore
Wow! Clay must have been a stud. Still Mayfield is looking like a juggernaut.
Mayfield could score at will but how about that Clay for Hancock, most yards ever given up by Mayfield?
Travis Atwell actually beat us 1 year. Individual Hancock players have stood tall vs the Cards
#55PirateFan Wrote:Congrats Cards. Didn't think Mayfield would give up that many points though.

Us too!
Got to get lbs more involved.