Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Class AA a 3 team race?
It appears to me that Desales, CAL and Mayfield are head and shoulders above the rest of AA, but,

1) Are there any other AA teams that could knock any of these 3 off? Glasgow? OB Cath? Somerset? Danville? Other?

2) Who would you consider the dark horse of the class?

3) Who would you favor to take the title and what separates them from the field?

Just opening this up for some good banter and conversation. All opinions and comments are welcome.
Yes
No doubt, I don’t think any other team in 2A is remotely close to the top 3.
Somerset as a dark horse. But it would take a perfect game and a lot of mistakes by the other 3.
I like Somerset, as well, because they have a strong enough defense that will keep them in most games. I also agree they would have to play a flawless game and get a couple of breaks to knock any of the Top 3 out. I also think OB Catholic has a shot because they have a great mix of pass and run and are capable of scoring points against any defense. The concern I have with them would be stopping other teams. Not sure there offense could offset what there defense may give up against the top 3. Glasgow has an OL capable of controlling the LOS and keeping opponents offenses off the field, giving them a shot in a shortened the game, physical type of game. I think they would need a few breaks, win the turnover battle and play penalty free to have a shot.
Somerset will have to get healthy if we hope to even have a chance to play one of those three. That said, even with a fully healthy Somerset, at this point I think Desales, Mayfield, and CAL are at least three TDs better than anyone else in 2A. Our defense is strong but not impenetrable, Beechwood proved that. A lot of guys have been getting reps the past few weeks, our young and talented QB is getting a lot better, so we'll see, but we've got a long road ahead of us just to get there. The next game should give us a gauge on how we've progressed since Beechwood.
Glasgow, Somerset and/or OCath likely have about a 5-10% chance of winning against one of the "Big 3" on any given night.

So could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Likely not.
Big 3 are way ahead of others. Somerset would have a shot but it would take the perfect game
Watched them play my redhounds last night. Mayfield will roll.
Just on the outside in this observation. But, Somerset got manhandled by Beechwood. Beechwood got beat by Corbin. And well, we know the rest. Now OC, for some reason they have apparently hit their stride. They started the season rough and then in the last few weeks have beaten good teams from bigger classifications. Glasgow does not appear to even be in the conversation. They got manhandled by a Franklin Simpson, who would be lucky to make semis in 2a.
I like Mayfield's chances mainly because they have the best shot at making the finals, being in opposite bracket of both CAL and Desales and only having to beat one of them, while the other 2 have to go through both of the other 2.. I also think they have the best offensive team and speed.. In saying that, I think Desales has the most complete team as they're solid on O and D, have solid special teams and the most depth.. CAL has the best defensive team and in Wright, the one player that can take over a game by himself..
The east side of the state is flat out brutal! The substate game last year beat up the Redbirds and was no different when we had Beechwood in the semi-final game. The Louisville boys will have a mountain climb to win state this year. If one of them does it’ll be well deserved.
I thought that all of the top 3 teams are on the same side bc didn’t Danville play Mayfield for the Championship last year? I didn’t think any changes were going to go into effect until next year. If that’s the case I like Glasgow and Somerset either one to have a chance bc that’s a much tougher road on the other side. Good luck to all for a healthy finish to the season.
I don’t think so. It’s mayfields to lose. I think everybody else is playing for second.
Laker Wrote:I thought that all of the top 3 teams are on the same side bc didn’t Danville play Mayfield for the Championship last year? I didn’t think any changes were going to go into effect until next year. If that’s the case I like Glasgow and Somerset either one to have a chance bc that’s a much tougher road on the other side. Good luck to all for a healthy finish to the season.

Huh????
mysonis55 Wrote:Huh????

Aren’t Mayfield, Desales and Cal on the same side of the bracket?
Laker Wrote:Aren’t Mayfield, Desales and Cal on the same side of the bracket?

No, District 4 goes to the east side and District 5 goes to the west, this year..
mysonis55 Wrote:Huh????

KYHSFBFan Wrote:No, District 4 goes to the east side and District 5 goes to the west, this year..

Thanks! I was unaware. Mayfield should run the table at this point I think. I like their offense and CAL had Wright that can just about do everything so as of right now, those are my top two teams.
Although these 3 teams are at this point the favorites by most there are still many things that can change this. But if all stay healthy should make for an awesome state finals 2A game. No team can be over looked so the big 3 need to stay focused and take care of business. Hope to see everyone at Kroger!!!
Big 3 are all spectacular teams. Hate to not win a state championship with one of these teams but 2 of them will go home empty handed. 2A is loaded at the top
one team race
3 very good teams at the 🔝
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Single Wing 77 Wrote:I don’t think so. It’s mayfields to lose. I think everybody else is playing for second.

I agree buddy. CAL and DeSales are really good football teams but at this point I think Mayfield is to 2A like what Cov.Cath is to 5A, untouchable. Especially the way they handled Corbin, one of the top teams in 3A. I may be wrong, but that's just this Ol Mans opinion.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I agree buddy. CAL and DeSales are really good football teams but at this point I think Mayfield is to 2A like what Cov.Cath is to 5A, untouchable. Especially the way they handled Corbin, one of the top teams in 3A. I may be wrong, but that's just this Ol Mans opinion.

If it's a straight 11 on 11, I'll take Mayfield, but, that's not the way it is. Desales and CAL, both have bigger and deeper rosters. with very few going both ways. While Mayfield has some depth themselves, if they were to have a couple of injuries on the line, it would really hurt, more so than the other 2.. They could absorb injuries in the skill positions much better than in the trenches..
It was a good win for sure for Mayfield. Corbin fans talked a lot of smack leading up to the game. However I see three teams on DeSales schedule that I think would beat Corbin, and 2
who would have a chance. Believe me DeSales and CAL are not thinking about a match up with Mayfield at the moment. We both have 1 hurtle in front of us, and then next week, at DeSales, we get to find out where we stand. Last year our playoff game, it got pretty nasty. I hope everyone can stay in control of their emotions this year. Both teams and fan bases, honestly just don't like each other. I hope it just doesn't boil over.
ColtPride Wrote:It was a good win for sure for Mayfield. Corbin fans talked a lot of smack leading up to the game. However I see three teams on DeSales schedule that I think would beat Corbin, and 2
who would have a chance. Believe me DeSales and CAL are not thinking about a match up with Mayfield at the moment. We both have 1 hurtle in front of us, and then next week, at DeSales, we get to find out where we stand. Last year our playoff game, it got pretty nasty. I hope everyone can stay in control of their emotions this year. Both teams and fan bases, honestly just don't like each other. I hope it just doesn't boil over.

I agree with St X and Butler, both being better than Corbin, but, other than CAL, who you play later in the year, I don't see anyone on your schedule at Corbins level.. Lex Catholic, no, N.Hardin, no, Fern Creek, no.. Those are solid teams, just not to Corbin's level, imo.. Good luck with CAL in a couple of weeks and hope for the 2 fan bases to behave themselves.. Should be a great game..
It's no disrespect to Corbin. I do think St X , and Butler, and CAL would beat them. Lex Catholic, and North Hardin, are my maybe's. I could be way off base with the maybe's. North Hardin did give Boyle a game. And Lex Catholic, I really like their offense. They could use a better running attack, but that quarterback is really solid, and he runs the offense well.
ColtPride Wrote:It's no disrespect to Corbin. I do think St X , and Butler, and CAL would beat them. Lex Catholic, and North Hardin, are my maybe's. I could be way off base with the maybe's. North Hardin did give Boyle a game. And Lex Catholic, I really like their offense. They could use a better running attack, but that quarterback is really solid, and he runs the offense well.

St X is the only one I'd for sure put beating Corbin.. Butler or CAL would be great games with Corbin that could go either way.. I'd have Corbin favored over Lex Cath and N.Hardin, but, they'd be close, competitive games, imo..
Lots of speculation here. Seems that speculation is based upon 1 game. Just remember that team they played in that 1 game Friday, will make a lot of teams eat crow. I was not underestimating when I said this may very well be the best offense in school history.
What he said.. ST. X is the only team I could see beating Corbin handily.. Corbin was a very good team that seemed to play us pretty even for a bit until our weapons started exploiting them... most all our receivers play D an when u have guys like that batting down balls an swarming to the short throws with the linebackers they just couldn't move the ball to well... the line kept constant pressure on their qb an really helped to keep the big play away.. estep is one of if not the best QB we have faced. An Corbin has big solid line..an a almost perfect pass protection.... if it weren't for our qb threading the ball into pie pan sized holes they woulda had several picks and our pass yardage woulda been quite a bit less... think Cal would play them pretty evenly you could prob pick the winner with a coin..they would beat butler by 10 , lex c by 14+ an NH by same..