Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Of Duke's Bagley III Reportedly Received Benefits
A recent story in The (Portland) Oregonian about footwear companies' connections with grassroots basketball programs includes details about the family of Duke freshman forward Marvin Bagley III and its relationship with Nike.

According to the story, Bagley's father was given a head coaching job at Nike-sponsored Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix before his son left there to play in the Nike's Elite Basketball League. In 2015 Bagley III agreed to play for Arizona Power but soon left to play for Phoenix Phamily, a team started by his father and soon sponsored by Nike.

The Bagleys eventually left Arizona for Southern California, where Bagley III joined the Nike-sponsored Sierra Canyon basketball team.

When asked by The News & Observer, Duke basketball officials declined to comment on The Oregonian story.

NCAA CLEARS MARVIN BAGLEY TO PLAY FOR DUKE THIS SEASON
Bagley III left high school a year early to attend Duke, and was the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2017 after being cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center. It is not clear whether the NCAA was aware of the issues outlined in the Oregonian report.

In a Sept. 8 press release, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said, "From the outset of this process, we were optimistic that it would end with the NCAA Eligibility Center certifying Marvin to compete for Duke University in 2017-18. We are thrilled for Marvin and the Bagley family. Their organization and efficiency were key to the successful conclusion of the certification process, as were the efforts of our Duke Athletics administration.”

DUKE'S MARVIN BAGLEY III DECLARES FOR THE NBA DRAFT, SAYS HIS DAD
According to The Oregonian story, the Bagleys filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Three years later their house was sold at a trustee's sale.

In a recent tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch, that typically has houses sell from $750,000 to $1.5 million and rents from $2,500 to $7,500 per month, according to an area real estate agent, the story states.

DUKE, NCAA FOUND NO ISSUES WITH MARVIN BAGLEY'S ELIGIBILITY, CLEARED HIM TO PLAY
Bagley Jr. told Sports Illustrated in 2016 that the family was relying on the Nike sponsorship and an athletic apparel company he started to "make ends meet."

Bagley averaged 21 points and 11.1 rebounds, leading the ACC in both categories, as the Blue Devils went 29-8 and advanced to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight. He was voted ACC player and rookie of the year. He was also named to the All-ACC Academic men's basketball team in February.

Bagley declared for the NBA draft on Wednesday, according to his father.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/...07143.html
I mean are we surprised anymore with the NCAA? Duke has the 1,2,3 and 9th ranked players in the country next year. Everyone in college basketball is getting paid heavy if they are top recruits.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
It's become irrelevant at this point.
Schools either need to take the chance of not getting caught or lose to programs like Duke.
I'm positive nothing will come of this.
This doesn’t pass the smell test, but just like North Carolina the NCAA ain’t touching K and Duke...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We literally just witnessed the NCAA let Carolina off the hook for a decade of academic cheating.
I have no faith in college athletics anymore.
Hopefully the p5 leave the NCAA
but when UK got all the top player. they wasn't paying them.
UK did the crime and paid for it severely back in the Sutton days, so far there is no proof of anything remotely close to what UNC did and this...Cal is hated but the NCAA, they will crucify him if they get the chance, don’t think they aren’t and haven’t been looking...Remember Chapel was dirty before K brought him back to Duke and then all of a sudden kids can magically get the classes they need to reclassify and parents go from bankruptcy to a million dollar home..
Got to know a former UTee football player a few years ago that told me about his recruitment and money he received playing there, so the way I see college athletics, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:UK did the crime and paid for it severely back in the Sutton days, so far there is no proof of anything remotely close to what UNC did and this...Cal is hated but the NCAA, they will crucify him if they get the chance, don’t think they aren’t and haven’t been looking...Remember Chapel was dirty before K brought him back to Duke and then all of a sudden kids can magically get the classes they need to reclassify and parents go from bankruptcy to a million dollar home..
Got to know a former UTee football player a few years ago that told me about his recruitment and money he received playing there, so the way I see college athletics, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying...

by what I can see the NCAA LOVE CAL. if not way didn't they do something to him back in all the UMASS stuff. ok now last just take it back a few years when all that Memphis stuff. there was two cases were the NCAA could have done something to coach cal, but didn't do nothing. but on the other hand, they let him step down before they come in, and coach somewhere else.

the way you see. don't get mad when other school is downing it better then UK.
Rose was accused at Memphis of having someone else take ACT and was declared ineligible and Cambey at Mass hired a agent none of which was ever tied to Cal and once again nothing remotely close to what North Carolina did and look what the NCAA did to UMass and Memphis...Cal is a big fish and rest assured the NCAA would love to bust UK, they dam near killed the basketball program over Eric Manuel and a letter that magically opened it’s self, small beans compared to this crap that’s going on now...The NCAA has already proved their dislike of UK basketball and that is a fact...
Cal may be a cheater, I don’t know...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spud6 Wrote:I mean are we surprised anymore with the NCAA? Duke has the 1,2,3 and 9th ranked players in the country next year. Everyone in college basketball is getting paid heavy if they are top recruits.

Can you not say the same thing about all of Kentucky's recruiting classes?
cj2561 Wrote:by what I can see the NCAA LOVE CAL. if not way didn't they do something to him back in all the UMASS stuff. ok now last just take it back a few years when all that Memphis stuff. there was two cases were the NCAA could have done something to coach cal, but didn't do nothing. but on the other hand, they let him step down before they come in, and coach somewhere else.

the way you see. don't get mad when other school is downing it better then UK.

I would love to respond to some of your posts, but I have a hard time understanding most of them.

Confusederiously:
zaga_fan Wrote:Can you not say the same thing about all of Kentucky's recruiting classes?

I said everyone in my post.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Westside Wrote:I would love to respond to some of your posts, but I have a hard time understanding most of them.

Confusederiously:

the one you can't understand just let me know. I will try to talk city for you and if you can't understand that, then I will try yankee for you.
Spud6 Wrote:I mean are we surprised anymore with the NCAA? Duke has the 1,2,3 and 9th ranked players in the country next year. Everyone in college basketball is getting paid heavy if they are top recruits.

zaga_fan Wrote:Can you not say the same thing about all of Kentucky's recruiting classes?

Spud6 Wrote:I said everyone in my post.

Zaga, maybe the other moderator was right. Maybe Perry County Schools did fail you.

:biggrin:
cj2561 Wrote:the one you can't understand just let me know. I will try to talk city for you and if you can't understand that, then I will try yankee for you.

What exactly were you trying to post in the #8 post on this thread? You can't read that and tell me it makes a lot of sense. Don't worry about using city or Yankee. Try using English. Your last post was legible. Some of your other posts, not so much. :flush:
Westside Wrote:Zaga, maybe the other moderator was right. Maybe Perry County Schools did fail you.

:biggrin:

I could have sworn there was another post from him after that referring to how everyone hates Kentucky and Duke cheats... blah blah blah

I'm in a bad mood today lol
Westside Wrote:What exactly were you trying to post in the #8 post on this thread? You can't read that and tell me it makes a lot of sense. Don't worry about using city or Yankee. Try using English. Your last post was legible. Some of your other posts, not so much. :flush:

it come down to, way didn't the NCAA done anything to Cal when the two schools he coach at got in trouble. NCAA ban UMass and ban Memphis, at the same time nothing to coach Cal.
If im 18 or the parent of an 18 year old and a college offers me big $$$ you bet id take it....an 18 year old should be able to play in the NBA anyway. Legal adults should not have their financial futures governed by the NCAA or any other group. Why the NBA adopted the one and done thing is crazy to me, like that one year is a game changer. The military is full of 18 year olds, i certainly think becoming an instant millionairre for those with enough talent shouldnt have to be delayed for one year.
Shoe companies are doling out a ton of money for kids to go to their handpicked schools. Nike has figured out how to it within the NCAA framework. Adidas is not nearly as clever. Langford and Bagley's fathers were paid several 100,000 dollars to run AAU teams.
Westside Wrote:What exactly were you trying to post in the #8 post on this thread? You can't read that and tell me it makes a lot of sense. Don't worry about using city or Yankee. Try using English. Your last post was legible. Some of your other posts, not so much. :flush:
Confusednicker:
I smell a RAT!
Bagley's take Nike's money and sign with Puma. Karma.
well as someone else said earlier If it is either UNC or Duke it will get swept under the rug or the NCAA will rule as fast as it can.

Saying that in regards to Cal and UK we all know the NCAA or the Old mans society does not like UK or Cal and would love to find him do anything wrong or supposedly improper

so what did UK do several years ago. They went out and hired a rules investigator that didn't like UK and was generally pretty critical over UK. They put this person solely in charge of the UK program. I think Cal even is happy about this.

Cal and UK runs as clean a program as any NCAA program can - Giggles - The NCAA is a dirty dirty business. I thin we can all agree on that. But Duke oh my god they get away with murder
Zion Williamson's family has moved into an $850,000 home in Durham