Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2018/19
Crazy Horse Wrote:Cordia returns the best guard and defensive player in the region. Cordia and Knott both are clear favorites over Letcher. With what Hazard is returning I would have to say Hazard is the preseason favorite for next year

Best guard?? Who might that be? They lost their best guard in Macdonald this year and their anchor in the middle. If I recall we almost beat them with Macdonald the first match up at their place. Cordia is a good team and I won’t take away that they have a good team returning as well as Knott but Letcher had 3 kids that never started Varsity until this season and now that they have a year under their belt and have played together who’s to say that Knott and Cordia are “clearly above them” not to mention that Letcher is returning three of their top 4 scorers. Just wait and see, they will be better than everyone thinks.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Best guard?? Who might that be? They lost their best guard in Macdonald this year and their anchor in the middle. If I recall we almost beat them with Macdonald the first match up at their place. Cordia is a good team and I won’t take away that they have a good team returning as well as Knott but Letcher had 3 kids that never started Varsity until this season and now that they have a year under their belt and have played together who’s to say that Knott and Cordia are “clearly above them” not to mention that Letcher is returning three of their top 4 scorers. Just wait and see, they will be better than everyone thinks.

They're referring to Frazier.
He really started to shine as the year went on and he's the best on-ball defender in the mountains.

When he got in foul trouble the tide immediately turned for Estill County in the semis.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Best guard?? Who might that be? They lost their best guard in Macdonald this year and their anchor in the middle. If I recall we almost beat them with Macdonald the first match up at their place. Cordia is a good team and I won’t take away that they have a good team returning as well as Knott but Letcher had 3 kids that never started Varsity until this season and now that they have a year under their belt and have played together who’s to say that Knott and Cordia are “clearly above them” not to mention that Letcher is returning three of their top 4 scorers. Just wait and see, they will be better than everyone thinks.

Cordia also returns 3 of their top scorers also Cordia had 3 kids, 2 starters( pringle and Harris) both are sophomores had never played a minute of varsity ball. You keep referring to the. Game let he played close early in the season that shows me Cordia was a lot better at the end of the season than they were in the beginning. Letcher obviously did not progress as much.
Buford T Justice Wrote:Cordia also returns 3 of their top scorers also Cordia had 3 kids, 2 starters( pringle and Harris) both are sophomores had never played a minute of varsity ball. You keep referring to the. Game let he played close early in the season that shows me Cordia was a lot better at the end of the season than they were in the beginning. Letcher obviously did not progress as much.

I guess we will see won’t we? That is if Cordia has a school and team. Plus we all know that if they do they will recruit players to be competitive. One things for sure about Letcher we win or lose with our own kids and not kids from other states and countries.
I have to agree with Buford on Cordia improving quite a bit. I would still like to see an answer on the player ranking question for the 14th.
Bstidham47 Wrote:I guess we will see won’t we? That is if Cordia has a school and team. Plus we all know that if they do they will recruit players to be competitive. One things for sure about Letcher we win or lose with our own kids and not kids from other states and countries.

I will be the first to say if they have a school. As far as being competive with you own kids if you ain't first your last! Cordia has a really good feeder system Langston Hughes middle school and Harlem middle school we will have some good talent coming up:biglmao:
Buford T Justice Wrote:I will be the first to say if they have a school. As far as being competive with you own kids if you ain't first your last! Cordia has a really good feeder system Langston Hughes middle school and Harlem middle school we will have some good talent coming up:biglmao:

Don’t you mean coming in? Because you damn sure aren’t getting these kids from Knott County. From what I saw even with your feeder talent you still couldn’t win the Region. So I guess the right.... you weren’t first so I guess you finished last also 🤨😂😂
I think one of the main reasons teams from the 14th region have not won a state tournament since the mid 1950's is they think small. Is there is everyone's dream just to win a regional tournament teams talk for 30 years about how they won the region. Big time programs talk about winning state tournaments they are not just satisfied to get there. Let's just put post season play in Kentucky in the same context as the NCAA tournament. when you get to the semi finals of the regional tournament there are 64 teams left in the state. Finals=32 regional champions are sweet 16, elight 8, final 4, and national champion. Teams from the mountains need to start looking at the bigger picture and get it out of their head that Rupp Arena is not the temple on the mount unless you win the state tournament. I guess what I am trying to say is looking at the big picture if you ain't first you're last!
14th region schools don't win the state tourney because they just don't have the talent to win 4 straight games in Rupp. No shame in that. It's a really big deal to to even get to the state tourney for a lot of teams in the 14th region. Not got anything to do with thinking small.
I watched Marshall win their conference the other day and make it to the NCAA for the first time in 30 years.
But they have 0 shot at winning the NCAA tourney. Do you think they are thinking small?
It's all about talent. And how much you have of it in order to win a sweet 16 or a NCAA or a NBA title.

Who cares if a 14th region school doesn't win the state tourney. It's still exciting for these kids to get to play in Rupp. It's most kids in this region dream from the Time they are little.
Just like all the 16 seeds in NCAA tourney are excited about being there. Even tho they will never win the tourney.
I'm a 14th Region guy and it pisses me off every time I hear the stat that we have the longest active streak of not winning a state title.

I also think it's because no one thinks big enough. Winning region is definitely the goal for most every team in the 14th, even the better ones.
14th region fanman Wrote:14th region schools don't win the state tourney because they just don't have the talent to win 4 straight games in Rupp. No shame in that. It's a really big deal to to even get to the state tourney for a lot of teams in the 14th region. Not got anything to do with thinking small.
I watched Marshall win their conference the other day and make it to the NCAA for the first time in 30 years.
But they have 0 shot at winning the NCAA tourney. Do you think they are thinking small?
It's all about talent. And how much you have of it in order to win a sweet 16 or a NCAA or a NBA title.

Who cares if a 14th region school doesn't win the state tourney. It's still exciting for these kids to get to play in Rupp. It's most kids in this region dream from the Time they are little.
Just like all the 16 seeds in NCAA tourney are excited about being there. Even tho they will never win the tourney.
I am well aware the biggest region of not winning a title is a lack. Of talent, but in 2014 the 14th region had 4 teams ranked in the top 25 in the state.Knott,Perry,Cordia,and Hazard. The 14th region got a great draw even the Knott co people were saying that they had a draw to the final 4. Knott was ranked #6 that year. They had the best chance anybody has had in a long time. I really think that knott co schedule and not playing enough Lexington and Louisville teams with Lexington and Louisville referees allowing a physical style instead of the 14th region that calls a bunch of nickel and dime stuff. Knott was not used to playing that way and when they faced adversity for the first time they folded like a lawn chair. My point is you can't be just happy to be there teams need to start looking at the tournament in a larger picture.
If a 14th Region team ever wants to have a chance, someone at the high schools needs to hire an AAU Coach under the table or however and let the high school team go out and play D1 AAU teams all summer long. Got to take some beatings but you just cant match that speed of the game around this area. When they get to state, the speed of the game goes up a great deal. In order to compete against it, you got to get out and play those type teams. Takes a while getting used to that type of speed.
Leslie County also has Alex Farler a rising Freshman coming back. Played very well at end of season when he was given varsity minutes and also Trent Day he saw some varsity minutes late in season also good at three pt. Shots
I agree the more these kids play win or not makes them better
I definitely think Breathitt will surprise a lot of people. They are well coached and improved a lot throughout the season. Losing the Fraley boy to injury hurt them, but they still managed to get some W's. They only lose Noble, that saw a lot of minutes..I think they will be tough next year with the return of Fraley at point.

Knott County will be at the top of the region. They lose two key players in Caudill and Hoffsess..but return the Couch twins, Slone and the two Freshman they had coming off the bench and contributing..McGuire and Napier. If those two get stronger and put in some work, they will be starters next year..The question with Knott is who is gonna handle the ball? Slone kid is good, but not a point guard. Neither was Caudill, but he stepped up. They will need to work with him.

Cordia will also be good. The Frazier kid will be in the running for 14th region player of the year. But I think he will need more help than what he has left if they want to make a run for the title.

Hazard will continue to grow. The Pelfry kid is a great point guard, but the rest of the squad needs to step up a notch if they want to be a threat. They have some talent, just not all the way where they need to be to be a force in the region yet.

Letcher should improve. They could also surprise some folks. They return 3 starters I think so there is potential there.

Wolfe County loses their leader, Stone will be hard to replace. They have a young point guard who had some really impressive games this season that will be a returning starter. They have some other young talent to.

Estill will be hurting. Graduating 4 starters is gonna hurt. They do have Benton and O'Hair returning. Saw a couple guys on the JV that can step up next year and possibly contribute. But I don't look for them to be a region contender next year.

Perry County will be decent, Noah Back returns and I think maybe the transfer they got late..Turner? He may return as well, not sure...but I don't see them being as good as Perry Central teams of the past. They have a little size on JV that may be able to step up and contribute on varsity, will just have to wait and see.

All of the above comments are just opinions, based on what I have seen personally..teams are not ranked in any particular order..Come time for summer ball, all this could change. Just never know what could happen in the post season to effect teams. It was a great season of basketball. Ready for next season.
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm a 14th Region guy and it pisses me off every time I hear the stat that we have the longest active streak of not winning a state title.

I also think it's because no one thinks big enough. Winning region is definitely the goal for most every team in the 14th, even the better ones.

I think many people outside this region forget that we have had good teams make deep runs in the tournament and fall short. Hazard and MC Napier with there runs in the 80s for instance. Other times the 14th has had good teams and get the worse draws imaginable in state. But you bring up a good point, many teams from the 14th that I have watched seem to approach playing at RUPP as the reward to the season. They seem content to just play there.
roundballer Wrote:I definitely think Breathitt will surprise a lot of people. They are well coached and improved a lot throughout the season. Losing the Fraley boy to injury hurt them, but they still managed to get some W's. They only lose Noble, that saw a lot of minutes..I think they will be tough next year with the return of Fraley at point.

Knott County will be at the top of the region. They lose two key players in Caudill and Hoffsess..but return the Couch twins, Slone and the two Freshman they had coming off the bench and contributing..McGuire and Napier. If those two get stronger and put in some work, they will be starters next year..The question with Knott is who is gonna handle the ball? Slone kid is good, but not a point guard. Neither was Caudill, but he stepped up. They will need to work with him.

Cordia will also be good. The Frazier kid will be in the running for 14th region player of the year. But I think he will need more help than what he has left if they want to make a run for the title.

Hazard will continue to grow. The Pelfry kid is a great point guard, but the rest of the squad needs to step up a notch if they want to be a threat. They have some talent, just not all the way where they need to be to be a force in the region yet.

Letcher should improve. They could also surprise some folks. They return 3 starters I think so there is potential there.

Wolfe County loses their leader, Stone will be hard to replace. They have a young point guard who had some really impressive games this season that will be a returning starter. They have some other young talent to.

Estill will be hurting. Graduating 4 starters is gonna hurt. They do have Benton and O'Hair returning. Saw a couple guys on the JV that can step up next year and possibly contribute. But I don't look for them to be a region contender next year.

Perry County will be decent, Noah Back returns and I think maybe the transfer they got late..Turner? He may return as well, not sure...but I don't see them being as good as Perry Central teams of the past. They have a little size on JV that may be able to step up and contribute on varsity, will just have to wait and see.

All of the above comments are just opinions, based on what I have seen personally..teams are not ranked in any particular order..Come time for summer ball, all this could change. Just never know what could happen in the post season to effect teams. It was a great season of basketball. Ready for next season.

The kid could average 30 a game and lock down everyone he plays and he won't be player of the year. You can take that to the bank.
roundballer Wrote:I definitely think Breathitt will surprise a lot of people. They are well coached and improved a lot throughout the season. Losing the Fraley boy to injury hurt them, but they still managed to get some W's. They only lose Noble, that saw a lot of minutes..I think they will be tough next year with the return of Fraley at point.

Yes Letcher should improve and contend in the District and Region but getting people on this site to admit that is like pulling teeth. We do return 3 starters that have played together since 5th grade but that doesn’t matter on here. If you aren’t praising Knott, Perry or Cordia your opinion and thoughts are always wrong.....just saying.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Yes Letcher should improve and contend in the District and Region but getting people on this site to admit that is like pulling teeth. We do return 3 starters that have played together since 5th grade but that doesn’t matter on here. If you aren’t praising Knott, Perry or Cordia your opinion and thoughts are always wrong.....just saying.

Dude...
No one ever wins just because they have experience or have played together a long time. Bad teams sometimes have guys who have played together a long time and always lost. Letcher's JV team was a little better than average last year, but one of the best players is in another county now, so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't like Letcher any less than Knott or Perry or anyone in the 14th. I've lived in the 13th all my life.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Yes Letcher should improve and contend in the District and Region but getting people on this site to admit that is like pulling teeth. We do return 3 starters that have played together since 5th grade but that doesn’t matter on here. If you aren’t praising Knott, Perry or Cordia your opinion and thoughts are always wrong.....just saying.

Well when you lose your two best players from a 7-21 team, yes people aren’t going to be high on them. Fact is, Letcher ain’t that good.
CA3 Wrote:Well when you lose your two best players from a 7-21 team, yes people aren’t going to be high on them. Fact is, Letcher ain’t that good.

Fact is you obviously don’t know much about the team if you say they lost their 2 best players because they didn’t. They lost one full time starter. As far as not being that good, one season doesn’t mean shit. Three of the starters now have a full season of Varsity level play under their belts and just keep doubting them like everyone else and we will see what happens next year. You are entitled to your opinion as well as everyone else. Good luck to whoever you pull for but if we play them I hope Letcher kicks their a**.
zaga_fan Wrote:Dude...

Not arguing with you man! Just expressing my opinion. That is what this site is for right? But I do agree with you that Frazier won’t win 14th Region player of the year even if he puts up astronomical numbers. Letcher was lucky when Torell won even if he did deserve it. Not getting on that subject again though 😂
I have no reason to root against the Cougars. Coach Lee seems like an alright dude and he's pretty fun to watch on the sidelines.

I just think the reason people are telling you they think Letcher will struggle is because they honestly believe Letcher is going to struggle, not because they refuse to acknowledge anyone other than Cordia, Perry or Knott.

I think Letcher will be better while Knott and Cordia both take a step back - that has to bode well for y'all. But I think Cordia and Knott will still be hard to handle for most teams in the 14th.
zaga_fan Wrote:I have no reason to root against the Cougars. Coach Lee seems like an alright dude and he's pretty fun to watch on the sidelines.

I just think the reason people are telling you they think Letcher will struggle is because they honestly believe Letcher is going to struggle, not because they refuse to acknowledge anyone other than Cordia, Perry or Knott.

I think Letcher will be better while Knott and Cordia both take a step back - that has to bode well for y'all. But I think Cordia and Knott will still be hard to handle for most teams in the 14th.

Agreed Knott and Cordia have been strong for quite some time now and they will be a handful for these teams as well as ours because they do have talent returning and are well coached. I also agree that when a team has a down season everyone is skeptical of them but this team truly has potential if they show it. I have nothing against the other programs and root for them once the Cougars are out. But I can see Letcher pulling some upsets and maybe even finish runner up in the District if they play like they can.
zaga_fan Wrote:I have no reason to root against the Cougars. Coach Lee seems like an alright dude and he's pretty fun to watch on the sidelines.

Coach Lee is awesome with these boys and truly cares for them. He is a class act and funny as hell on the sideline.
I’m going to guess Letcher Central will win 10-12 games next season.
But back to the real teams in the 14th.
Pre-season
1. Knott County
2. Cordia
3. Breathitt County
4. Hazard
5. Perry Central
CA3 Wrote:I’m going to guess Letcher Central will win 10-12 games next season.

Like I said man, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But just curious who do you cheer for that is going to be so great next season?
CA3 Wrote:But back to the real teams in the 14th.
Pre-season
1. Knott County
2. Cordia
3. Breathitt County
4. Hazard
5. Perry Central

😂😂😂😂 seems to me like all the teams listed also lost important pieces so the Region is up for grabs. But keep telling yourself these are the only “real” teams in the Region. This list is good with all teams being competitive but don’t give me that Letcher can’t play with them this upcoming season and beat some of them when they play their best basketball 🏀.