Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2018/19
Now that the 14th region is completely over for this season, let's take a look at next year's 14th region.

53rd District:

Knott County Central (27-7): Lose best player in Isaac Caudill but return everyone else. question is, does coach King return with his health issues?

Cordia (19-12): The lions lose 3 starters (that I'm aware of) McDonald, Keita, Mercado, Ebune but return some quality players in Glasgow, Frazier and Hidalgo.

Letcher County Central (7-21): The Cougars lose 3 including their best player, Raglin. Bentley and Stacy are gone as well.

June Buchanan (10-18): The Crusaders came on strong towards the end of the season but not enough to advance past the first round of the district tournament. According to KHSAA, they return everyone from this year.

54th District:

Perry County Central (20-8): The Commodores seen their season come to an end the hard way losing by 27 to Knott Central in the semi's of the 14th region tournament on their own home floor. Chandler Caudill, Richard Cornett, Sam Turner and Jacob Woolum all graduate but the Commodores do return Noah Back, Camron Turner among several other key players.

Hazard (13-14): Coach Holland knew this was gonna be a rebuilding season for the Bulldogs, good news is, they only lose Chase Pennington and Koby Holbrook.

Leslie County (15-9): Despite taking a 4 game win streak into the post season and matched up good with their first round opponent Perry Central through the regular season, the Eagles fell 72-58 in the opening round of district play and if that isn't a enough, they lose quite a bit this season to graduation; Tyler Dixon, Nick Hoskins, Skyler Mitchell, Cullen Pennington, Cole Sizemore and Colin Smith. That's 85-90% of their scoring, they only return one of their leading scorers in Darron Whitaker.

Buckhorn (9-20): Miserable season for Coach Hoskins but the good news is they only lose 1 from this year's team in Nicholas Stidham.

55th District:

Breathitt County (14-19): After struggling most of the season, Breathitt County came on late but not enough to get past the Knott Central Patriots in the first round of the region tournament. Bobcats lose several key players in Trey Noble, Todd Noble, Taheton Stacy, Jordan Watts, Emanuel Wilson, Everett Johnson.

Wolfe County (16-15): A preseason region contender became a pretender when they failed to beat any of the top teams, Perry Central, Knott Central, Estill County. They even lost to Breathitt County in the district championship, on the same floor that they defeated Breathitt County by 30 just a few weeks before. Next year is truly a rebuilding season for Coach Creech and the Wolves with the loss of Deven Stone (Wolfe's best player), Jacob King, Nathan Landshaw, Shawn Lindon. that's 4 starters.

Jackson City (6-21): The Tigers started 3-1 and everything spiraled down hill from there, they would only win 3 more games the rest of the season and if that wasn't enough problems, their best player, Cam Turner transferred to Perry Central in the middle of the season. Jarred Mullins is the only graduating player according to KHSAA.

Riverside Christian (2-26): Not being mean but Riverside will be Riverside.

56th District:

Estill County (26-7): The Engineers are 14th region champions for the first time in school history. It's a dream come true for all the players, fans and the community. However, next year, Estill County will take a step back. They will return the best PG in the region in Joe Benton but they lose region player of the year, Caleb Bonny, Andrew and Lane Doty and Kevin Richardson. that's 4 of their 5 starters. They do have some good size and length on the team in Dyllon Long and Logan Napier and they will probably contend if not win another district title but winning back to back region titles maybe a little stretch for them next season.

Powell County (15-14): The Pirates had an up and down season all this year and not to mention they lose several of their starters, Payton Barnett, Drew Ginter, Carlos Hernandez and Jared Ratliff. They do return PG DeShaun Williams, Bryce Merrion among several other key players. Question is, does long time and legendary head coach, Dave Fraley calls it quits and retires or does he come back for 1 more season, looking for that 700th career win?

Owsley County (12-16): The Owls had a really good season this year, better than what they had in the past several years and it looks like everyone returns so next year could be even better than this season.

Lee County (0-30): Really ugly season for Lee County, didn't even score a 1,000 points and got blowed out every game. Blake Coomer is the only one Lee County loses so next year should be some what better but can they get a W?
I think it's either Perry Central's or Knott Central's to lose. Powell County is the regional host next season
Rumor has it.... Look for a former 14th region standout and a 2x time Coach of the year to be Walking along the sidelines next year at their old stomping grounds.
RumorMill Wrote:Rumor has it.... Look for a former 14th region standout and a 2x time Coach of the year to be Walking along the sidelines next year at their old stomping grounds.

Not sure who you are implying, but Big AL isn't leaving anytime soon! Plus who would want to Walk in those shoes?
SwallowedMyWhistle2 Wrote:Not sure who you are implying, but Big AL isn't leaving anytime soon! Plus who would want to Walk in those shoes?

Rumor has it... This is true, I was actually referring to the Size of the Eagles in Leslie Co.
RumorMill Wrote:Rumor has it... This is true, I was actually referring to the Size of the Eagles in Leslie Co.

Or the lack of Size?
SwallowedMyWhistle2 Wrote:Or the lack of Size?

Confusedecret:Confusedhh:
Knott will probably be the favorites next year. They do lose a couple of good players but they have the Couch brothers back and more. Knott will always be competitive, especially as long as B.B. is coaching.
RumorMill Wrote:Rumor has it.... Look for a former 14th region standout and a 2x time Coach of the year to be Walking along the sidelines next year at their old stomping grounds.

Heard that they would pay Walking boot Head coaching pay and make him Big Al's replacement when he decides to step down. Huge pay increase!
I think Hazard will be in the thick of things next year, along with Knott and Perry.
Without knowing all the transfers and the standing with the Cordia school, just by what everyone has coming back, I would rank this way

1. Knott (return 3 starters and 2 key subs) need ballhandler to replace Caudill
2a. Breathitt returns most of the team and get Fraley back from injury
2b. Hazard return 7 of top 8 players, young kids will be year older
3. Perry (return Back, Caudill, Turner) lost 4 starters
4. Buckhorn return everyone but Stidham, will be improved
5. Cordia lost Mcdonald/Keita, Frazier could be best player in region next year
6. Estill lose 4 starters, return PG Benton and O'Hair

Now all this could change with the annual 14th region carousel of transfers

Already hearing lots of rumors
In my opinion, region will be wide open form the beginning. I can't really place a team at the top, but it will be Knott/Breathitt/Hazard/Perry/Cordia your top 5. Will be interesting to see what recruiting and transfers take place.
I think to rank Breathitt is foolish, IMO they just lost their best player in Trey Noble. Fraley will be back, but he is not good enough to carry that team by himself. Fugate is a good player, but I don't think either one of them are worth ranking them as 2nd. I think Hazard will be the team to watch, I think it will be between them, Perry and Knott. But I guess all of that depends on transfers, as well.
StrictlyBusiness Wrote:I think to rank Breathitt is foolish, IMO they just lost their best player in Trey Noble. Fraley will be back, but he is not good enough to carry that team by himself. Fugate is a good player, but I don't think either one of them are worth ranking them as 2nd. I think Hazard will be the team to watch, I think it will be between them, Perry and Knott. But I guess all of that depends on transfers, as well.

I wasn't placing Breathitt at the #2 spot, I was saying that is my top 5 and they can be in any order on any given night. They return some great players, plus will have Fraley back. If John Noble stays there, they will definitely be a contender for region I believe.
Um really everyone is looking over the fact that Letcher returns three starters and 3 of the 4 leading scorers on the team. They played close to all the 14th region teams with the exception of Knott and Cordia twice. Plus played the 14th region champs within 2 points and lost in OT. Don’t sleep on this team. Next year they are going to be near the top and should win the 53rd district.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Um really everyone is looking over the fact that Letcher returns three starters and 3 of the 4 leading scorers on the team. They played close to all the 14th region teams with the exception of Knott and Cordia twice. Plus played the 14th region champs within 2 points and lost in OT. Don’t sleep on this team. Next year they are going to be near the top and should win the 53rd district.

If that's right that Knott loses just one starter you think Letcher should be ahead of them? If Letcher can get back to .500 it would be a big improvement.
Bstidham47 Wrote:Um really everyone is looking over the fact that Letcher returns three starters and 3 of the 4 leading scorers on the team. They played close to all the 14th region teams with the exception of Knott and Cordia twice. Plus played the 14th region champs within 2 points and lost in OT. Don’t sleep on this team. Next year they are going to be near the top and should win the 53rd district.

They won a whopping 7 games this season and will be the third best team in their district again next season. They would be the fourth, but winless Jenkins takes that spot. 🤷🏻 They had the fourth fewest wins in the region this season just beating out Lee, Riverside and Jackson City.

I say all that to ask how in the world do you think they “should win the 53rd district”?

I’m sure you will get offended by what I just said due to your personal ties with the team but cmon, be realistic.
HCS Wrote:If that's right that Knott loses just one starter you think Letcher should be ahead of them? If Letcher can get back to .500 it would be a big improvement.

Knott looses 2 starters their top guard and scorer and their big man Hoffuss. Cordia looses 2 starters keta and McDonald mercado did not start and was not even on the team he only played 4 games all season long and got mad and quit. Abunee played and contributed very little. I think Perry will have probally have the worst team in the history of the school they loose 4 starters and don't have a real strong class coming up. Hazard does return a lot but they didn't have much this year they have had a loosing record the last 2 years playing a very weak schedule. Providing Cordia has a school next year based on just what everyone has coming and no one leavers or transfers around Knott and Cordia should be #1 and #2.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:They won a whopping 7 games this season and will be the third best team in their district again next season. They would be the fourth, but winless Jenkins takes that spot. 🤷🏻 They had the fourth fewest wins in the region this season just beating out Lee, Riverside and Jackson City.

I say all that to ask how in the world do you think they “should win the 53rd district”?

I’m sure you will get offended by what I just said due to your personal ties with the team but cmon, be realistic.

How do you figure the 3rd best team in the district? Cordia lost their main scoring and defensive presence. Knott will be good but get real if you think they can just replace Caudill and not lose a beat. Letcher played Cordia to within 6 their first meeting and played with Knott every game at least a half. The fact is that the returning kids know how to play together and there is no ball hog on our team this season coming up which costed us a lot of games last year. But go ahead and doubt them....then after next season when they win or at least finish runner up in the district and are playing in Region you can say you were wrong.
Cordia returns the best guard and defensive player in the region. Cordia and Knott both are clear favorites over Letcher. With what Hazard is returning I would have to say Hazard is the preseason favorite for next year
Bstidham47 Wrote:How do you figure the 3rd best team in the district? Cordia lost their main scoring and defensive presence. Knott will be good but get real if you think they can just replace Caudill and not lose a beat. Letcher played Cordia to within 6 their first meeting and played with Knott every game at least a half. The fact is that the returning kids know how to play together and there is no ball hog on our team this season coming up which costed us a lot of games last year. But go ahead and doubt them....then after next season when they win or at least finish runner up in the district and are playing in Region you can say you were wrong.

All that could make sense if the teams were even to start with, but Letcher has ground to make up, a lot of it. Playing with Knott "for at least a half" is a delusional way to predict for the following season. I like Letcher, but it's crazy to add any pressure to a team that is trying to get back to .500.
HCS Wrote:All that could make sense if the teams were even to start with, but Letcher has ground to make up, a lot of it. Playing with Knott "for at least a half" is a delusional way to predict for the following season. I like Letcher, but it's crazy to add any pressure to a team that is trying to get back to .500.

Ok well how about the logic that Letcher played into overtime with the 14th Region champs this season, narrowly lost to Leslie, played within 6 points at Hazard, lost by just 5 to Harlan County and 1 to Paintsville. Which proves that Letcher does not have as much ground to make up as everyone thinks they do.
Well, it proves about as much as losing by 30 to Knott and 31 to South Laurel and 20 to Cordia proves. You can always look at extremes, but as Parcells says you are what your record says you are.
The 14th isn't very strong though and Letcher has one of the biggest schools, so you can make up ground fast, but to say Letcher should be No. 1 in the 53rd was just too far out there for me.
HCS Wrote:Well, it proves about as much as losing by 30 to Knott and 31 to South Laurel and 20 to Cordia proves. You can always look at extremes, but as Parcells says you are what your record says you are.
The 14th isn't very strong though and Letcher has one of the biggest schools, so you can make up ground fast, but to say Letcher should be No. 1 in the 53rd was just too far out there for me.

I also think anyone who says Letcher is the 3rd best team next year is crazy. You mentioned our losses and yes we had some bad ones but the rest of the 14th would have struggled with the schedule we played. As far as South Laurel goes no team in the region could have beat them that day I guarantee that.
Frazier will not be at cordia next year
hitter Wrote:Frazier will not be at cordia next year

I wouldn't count on that just yet. I wouldn't count on on him being at Perry or Hazard. I know he has a couple of mental cases trying to shop him around claiming Perry has offered him a house and all that trash. All I am saying every year Perry and Hazard claims they are getting Cordia players. The only one that have ever got is Chris Hudson. He may leave but let's just wait and see. If he is dumb enough to go to either of those schools he probally don't have enough brains to play. Why leave a team that returns a good group and will be better than either of those two next year. I will about bet you if he is not at Cordia he won't be at either of those two.
Bstidham47 Wrote:How do you figure the 3rd best team in the district? Cordia lost their main scoring and defensive presence. Knott will be good but get real if you think they can just replace Caudill and not lose a beat. Letcher played Cordia to within 6 their first meeting and played with Knott every game at least a half. The fact is that the returning kids know how to play together and there is no ball hog on our team this season coming up which costed us a lot of games last year. But go ahead and doubt them....then after next season when they win or at least finish runner up in the district and are playing in Region you can say you were wrong.

It's kind of sad that the expectations for the second largest school in the 14th region is to just make it to the regional tournament. Of course LCC has never advanced past the semi-final round of the regional tournament in the 13 year history of the school.

Had they left Raymond Justice and Steve Banks alone, Cam and Issac would have had good careers in Ermine instead of Hindman.
I never said that Frazier was going to hazard or perry I just said he wouldn't be at cordia. I'd say he will leave this area.
And just imagine if letcher don't get rid of Raymond justice they would have probably won one or two regional titles. Who made the decision to get rid of Raymond justice when they knew that Cameron was going to be their. That's one of the dumbest decisions in history
I'm on the Breathitt train next year. I think they'll be tough and Fraley is a gamer.
Knott loses their two best players. Perry loses four starters. Cordia loses a lot of size and McDonald. Estill graduates most of the starting lineup.
Buckhorn will be better. They competed this year, but lost a lot of games. Hopefully they right the ship in 2018-19.
[Image:

]

Bolz, ole fatpat gettin a little worried bout next year. We lose Sir Isaac and Kolt 45 this year and that's a freakin load, wowza! Have the doublemint twins and killa back for sure. Magnum has put me on a mission to bring in a couple "gifts" this off season. Still have toby mcguire and deadeye napper comin off the bench. Also have some lil ones that will be good in a few years.

#futureisbright More mash taters please!!!