Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott County 79 Lafayette 43
Final.

Scott County is a buzzsaw right now.
The time can’t come soon enough that they open Great Crossing HS up in Scott County. Time for Scott Co’s advantage in numbers to end
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:The time can’t come soon enough that they open Great Crossing HS up in Scott County. Time for Scott Co’s advantage in numbers to end

Scott county will remain a state power.
Scott Co may be even better next year.
Going to be open enrollment, so not much going to change
What do we think about Billy Hicks?
Hicks has Scott County rolling. Love when the region that has 7 over 6A schools complains about an enrollment advantage. Fayette County schools does more with less.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:Final.

Scott County is a buzzsaw right now.

Can anybody slow them down?
rojas Wrote:Scott county will remain a state power.

without a doubt.
Hicks has won every where he has been Evarts, Corbin and Scott County. He is a gym rat who puts the time and effort in. Kids like him because they know he will put as much time in to them as they are willing to put in to them selves. His success will continue when Great Crossings opens.
How long was Hicks at Corbin? Why did he leave the 13th for Scott County, which at the time was a middle of the pack eighth region team
What E's Army said- there are quite a few schools in Kentucky with around 2000 students that have zero success- Scott County Coaches do not get enough credit, you always here they win because only school in the County, well that is true for a lot of schools in Kentucky- and most of Scott County is still rural with mostly farmland so there is not a lot of athletes like people think- They have really good coaches
Scott County wasn't a middle of the pack 8th region team when Hicks got their, they were always at the top with Shelby and Oldham Counties
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Scott County wasn't a middle of the pack 8th region team when Hicks got their, they were always at the top with Shelby and Oldham Counties

Scott County has been in existence since 1955. Before Billy Hicks became head coach (94/95) they had a total of only 4 regional championships and only 1 Sweet 16 game. I would say that was pretty much middle of the pack.

Since Hicks arrived they have won 11 more regional championships and 27 Sweet 16 games, 8 final fours, 5 Sweet 16 finals and 2 state championships.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Scott County wasn't a middle of the pack 8th region team when Hicks got their, they were always at the top with Shelby and Oldham Counties

Really? I went to Oldham County, graduated in 1989. The big teams back then in the Eighth were Oldham and Shelby Counties, with occasional big seasons from Scott County and Carroll county
Just checked the records available on the KHSAA site. Scott Co won the region twice in the early 80’s. The rest were primarily dominated by Oldham and Shelby County. I mentioned Carroll County because of the athletic teams they had when Kevin and Marc mumphrey were there. Although no regional championships on record, they gave Oldham and Shelby a headache for a few seasons
Again Scott County was never middle of the pack in the 8th region, it was always Shelby, Oldham, and Scott at the top of the 8th, and some years others teams like Carroll Co- I go back to at least 1975, and only remember team losing the district championship twice in that span '79 and '84(still won the region and beat the #1 team in the state the first game), and they won more than 1 state tourney game before Hicks got there- They weren't a state power before Hicks got there- but they had plenty success before he arrived- In last 10-12 years SC Football teams and Softball teams have had more success than any sport at the high school, but this is a basketball state so most people think the basketball team is the best thing going at SC
And yes Kyhoops- Shelby and Oldham did win the most regional championships back in the day
nm
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:How long was Hicks at Corbin? Why did he leave the 13th for Scott County, which at the time was a middle of the pack eighth region team

Scott County as a community has a lot more going for it than Corbin if we're being honest. Better jobs, better schools, etc. That would probably apply to any school in the 13th.
pjdoug Wrote:Can anybody slow them down?

LCA is next up and they'll be their stiffest test yet. It really worried me that their coach said they were "happy to be there" about the regional final though. I understand that they don't want to give Scott County any more motivation, but if they play like a team "happy to be there" against Scott County, they'll get shown up.

The 7th/11th first round match up in Lexington might as well be for a trip to the finals, imho.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Again Scott County was never middle of the pack in the 8th region, it was always Shelby, Oldham, and Scott at the top of the 8th, and some years others teams like Carroll Co- I go back to at least 1975, and only remember team losing the district championship twice in that span '79 and '84(still won the region and beat the #1 team in the state the first game), and they won more than 1 state tourney game before Hicks got there- They weren't a state power before Hicks got there- but they had plenty success before he arrived- In last 10-12 years SC Football teams and Softball teams have had more success than any sport at the high school, but this is a basketball state so most people think the basketball team is the best thing going at SC

I stand corrected. They won 2 before Hicks got there. They beat Clark Co 69-61 in the 1983 Sweet 16 and they beat Newport Catholic 59-52 in the opening round game in 1984. Of course they have won 26 Sweet 16 games since Hicks arrived.
So, we like William Hicks a lot, do we?
Lca can beat them if can control the pace like the first game- but Scott County has 4 and now maybe 5 1000pt scores on the team very hard to shut down
LCA most definitely has a size advantage with 3 guys in the 6'6" range. Rode is a heck of a player and will be hard to handle. LCA may be the best shooting team I have seen all year. They present a real matchup problem for Scott County with their size and shooting ability.

Scott County seems to be quicker. They will also come out and guard the 3 point shooters instead of laying back in a 2-3 zone like Madison Central. Scott County's strengths are balance (they all can score 20 on any given night), great man-to-man defense, experience (they have been in this situation before) and last but not least Michael Moreno.

Obviously, either team can win this game. I would give Scott County a slight edge.
Scott county got a terrible draw in potentially facing Trinity/Ballard in the first round. Assuming they win, either Corbin or South Laurel are the type of teams I wouldn't want to face after a tough, hard fought win. On any given night, Scott Co should win, but in a letdown game, anything can happen.