Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 15th region tournament bracket
2/26
6:30 - Shelby Valley (W) vs. Belfry (L).
8:15 - Johnson Central (W) vs. Lawrence County (L).

2/27
6:30 - Pike County Central (L) vs. Pikeville (W).
8:15 - Floyd Central (W) vs. Sheldon Clark(L).

Semi-finals on 3/2 (Friday)
6:30 - Shelby Valley (L) vs. Johnson Central (W).
8:15 - Pikeville (W) vs. Floyd Central. (L)

Finals on 3/3 (Saturday) @ 7:30.
Johnson Central (W) vs. Pikeville (L)
Final score 56-51.

All games will be played at the East Kentucky Expo Center.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
If Valley plans to win region this year, they will have to come to play every night. First Belfry, then Johnson in the semi's, then either Pikeville or Pike Central waiting in the finals. Not an easy game in the bunch.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If Valley plans to win region this year, they will have to come to play every night. First Belfry, then Johnson in the semi's, then either Pikeville or Pike Central waiting in the finals. Not an easy game in the bunch.

Didn't SV beat each one of these by double digits this year? Already beat Pikeville four times this year. Don't try to make it look like that their facing such a battle.
Belfry's size could keep this game close!! Johnson Central could easily beat Valley!! Valley will be favorite but several teams have a solid chance!!!Should be a Great Tourney!
Sports72 Wrote:Belfry's size could keep this game close!! Johnson Central could easily beat Valley!! Valley will be favorite but several teams have a solid chance!!!Should be a Great Tourney!

The key for Belfry is can they handle the press
Mjolnir Wrote:Didn't SV beat each one of these by double digits this year? Already beat Pikeville four times this year. Don't try to make it look like that their facing such a battle.

Ok, maybe I gave Belfry a little more credit than I should have, considering SV did just blow them out last week. Valley should be a heavy favorite against the Pirates.

But Johnson will be a big challenge. Valley did beat the Eagles by 13 at home back in December, when JC was really struggling (they started out 4-10). But they have been one of the hottest teams in the region since the first week of January, going 13-2 since then. I would expect a completely different team this time around.

As for Pike Central, Valley did beat them at home by 12, also back in December. But the Hawks have also been on a roll lately, winning 15 of their last 17. They are fully capable of winning the whole thing.

And then there's Pikeville. Valley has beaten them 4 times, but most have been very close games. Pikeville could have easily won 3 of the 4 matchups, including the district title this past week. I'm sure they are itching for another crack at SV, knowing full well how hard it is to beat the same team 5 times in one season.

So yes, it would shock me if Valley lost to Belfry, but after that it would likely be two tough games in a row on back-to-back nights. Like I said, they will have to earn it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SV beat Belfry by 30 plus last time out and no one in region has defeated them. Only loss in state was to Murray, in the All A Championship. Maybe not such a tough job as you are saying. Like I've said before, clear the space in the trophy case.
Mjolnir Wrote:SV beat Belfry by 30 plus last time out and no one in region has defeated them. Only loss in state was to Murray, in the All A Championship. Maybe not such a tough job as you are saying. Like I've said before, clear the space in the trophy case.

I've already conceded the point on Belfry, did you not read my last post?

But as for the rest, so what if they haven't lost in the region yet? It certainly doesn't mean they're unbeatable. Pikeville has played SV close 3 times already and could have won any of those games. Why on earth do you not think that if a couple of plays hadn't have gone the other way, that Valley could have lost any of those games? And SV beat Johnson and PCC by 12-13 points, at home, in December. You don't think that playing again on a neutral court in March might lead to a different outcome with either of those teams?

For comparison's sake, let me point out Shelby Valley's 2010 state championship winning boys' team. Rolled through the regular season undefeated in the region, winning every game by 20+ points. They were the heaviest favorite to win the 15th region that I can remember in a long time. And what happened in the region title game? Betsy Layne played them tough all the way to the end, cutting the lead to 3 points in the 4th quarter before SV pulled away for a hard-fought 9 point win.

Point is, the winner of this region is far from a foregone conclusion. Shelby Valley is the favorite, but the gap between them and the next 3 teams is slim.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Your motivational posts are well taken, typical coach talk.
Shelby Valley beats Belfry in the first game.
JC has opened it up....

52-30 with 3:11 left in the 3rd.
End 3rd qtr.

JC leads 57-38
Final. JC wins 82-49

JC ends with 5 players in double figures.
Region 15 vs. Region 3.

Johnson Central vs. Owensboro Catholic

3/7 @ Noon from the BB&T bank arena at NKU.
Edmonson County is a tough out.
Pikeville over Pike Central 68-57.
Floyd Central over Sheldon Clark has been the best game so far.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Pikeville over Pike Central 68-57.

If the Championship game is called like it was in this game then Valley is in for a "Cat Fight" to win their 5th against them. Right out of the gate PC's point guard was called for an offensive foul on a dribble hand off where the defender ran in to her (without having anything close to a defensive position), never seen that bad of a call to start the game, EVER!!! It really set the tone for the remainder of the game. PC still made Pikeville turn the ball over nearly 30 times but had close to 20 themselves. It just seemed that the refs were calling touch fouls, (some true and obvious fouls), but let Pikeville hand check and hold all night. The straw that broke the camels back was when #22 Stewart, CLEARLY, WENT OVER #35 Stanley's back on a good box out, and then called Stanley for her 4th foul. Followed by a Tech, which fouled her out in middle of 3rd qtr and should have been handled better by Stanley. However, I would have been very upset in the heat of the moment too. I mean the girl had great rebounding position. Ughh, worst officiating I've seen in a long time. 4 PC players fouled out. Something Sketchy going on at the EXPO. I feel bad for the entire 14th region for having to deal with these guys all year long. Good Luck to any of the county teams if they are matched up with P-Ville, seems like Orem has buddied up.
I'll say Shelby Valley and Floyd central in the final game.
FrozenColonel Wrote:If the Championship game is called like it was in this game then Valley is in for a "Cat Fight" to win their 5th against them. Right out of the gate PC's point guard was called for an offensive foul on a dribble hand off where the defender ran in to her (without having anything close to a defensive position), never seen that bad of a call to start the game, EVER!!! It really set the tone for the remainder of the game. PC still made Pikeville turn the ball over nearly 30 times but had close to 20 themselves. It just seemed that the refs were calling touch fouls, (some true and obvious fouls), but let Pikeville hand check and hold all night. The straw that broke the camels back was when #22 Stewart, CLEARLY, WENT OVER #35 Stanley's back on a good box out, and then called Stanley for her 4th foul. Followed by a Tech, which fouled her out in middle of 3rd qtr and should have been handled better by Stanley. However, I would have been very upset in the heat of the moment too. I mean the girl had great rebounding position. Ughh, worst officiating I've seen in a long time. 4 PC players fouled out. Something Sketchy going on at the EXPO. I feel bad for the entire 14th region for having to deal with these guys all year long. Good Luck to any of the county teams if they are matched up with P-Ville, seems like Orem has buddied up.

PC will get a lot of fouls called on them with their style of play.
There were some bad calls, but Pike Central continued to foul despite the fact that they saw how the game was going to be called. Pike Central has talent, but the lack of coaching led to this first round exit. How do you force 30 TO's and still lose by double digits?
FrozenColonel Wrote:If the Championship game is called like it was in this game then Valley is in for a "Cat Fight" to win their 5th against them. Right out of the gate PC's point guard was called for an offensive foul on a dribble hand off where the defender ran in to her (without having anything close to a defensive position), never seen that bad of a call to start the game, EVER!!! It really set the tone for the remainder of the game. PC still made Pikeville turn the ball over nearly 30 times but had close to 20 themselves. It just seemed that the refs were calling touch fouls, (some true and obvious fouls), but let Pikeville hand check and hold all night. The straw that broke the camels back was when #22 Stewart, CLEARLY, WENT OVER #35 Stanley's back on a good box out, and then called Stanley for her 4th foul. Followed by a Tech, which fouled her out in middle of 3rd qtr and should have been handled better by Stanley. However, I would have been very upset in the heat of the moment too. I mean the girl had great rebounding position. Ughh, worst officiating I've seen in a long time. 4 PC players fouled out. Something Sketchy going on at the EXPO. I feel bad for the entire 14th region for having to deal with these guys all year long. Good Luck to any of the county teams if they are matched up with P-Ville, seems like Orem has buddied up.
“Seems like Orem has buddied up”. Funny. Fact of the matter is, Pike Centrals style of play leads to more fouls or he potential for them, depending on how the refs call it. I didn’t see the alleged over the back you’re speaking of so I can’t really comment on it. But Pike Central has a very good year. Congrats on a great season. But Pikeville has consistently shown over the course of the season to be one of the better teams in the 15th region. Don’t dismiss the whole because you feel like the coach “buddied up” to refs (hint: they ALL try to work refs) when she has shown all season how well she has developed these girls over the past two seasons. Pike Central as a whole really isn’t in a position to accuse or imply cheating right now anyway.
All the radio personalities was complaining about the one sided calls... A couple of the assigned officials got taken off of this game. I guess it sets it up for Valley to beat Pikeville for a 5th time! Valley wins this region by double digits if game is called fair!:truestory:
PHSForever Wrote:“Seems like Orem has buddied up”. Funny. Fact of the matter is, Pike Centrals style of play leads to more fouls or he potential for them, depending on how the refs call it. I didn’t see the alleged over the back you’re speaking of so I can’t really comment on it. But Pike Central has a very good year. Congrats on a great season. But Pikeville has consistently shown over the course of the season to be one of the better teams in the 15th region. Don’t dismiss the whole because you feel like the coach “buddied up” to refs (hint: they ALL try to work refs) when she has shown all season how well she has developed these girls over the past two seasons. Pike Central as a whole really isn’t in a position to accuse or imply cheating right now anyway.

"Pike Central as a whole really isn’t in a position to accuse or imply cheating right now anyway." This quote has absolutely ZERO to do with our girls program if you are talking about what I think you are talking about...On the other hand yes PC had to continue to play aggressive bc that is what they are best at, too small to play a lot of zone. Yes you are correct, PC's style is going to cause some fouls however, they have become really good at disrupting the ball handler without reaching and playing GOOD LEGAL Defense. Pikeville could have done all but hug them down the court without a call. Radio personalities noticed and made several comments about it. At the end of the day the Pikeville Girls did do a good job and didn't stop playing and they hit their free throws which won them the game. If you think that the score is indicative of how "bad" Pikeville won then you're DEAD WRONG!!!

Congrats to the Lady Panthers on their win, the kids played hard! Congrats to PC on an excellent season, on to next year!
Pikeville just beat PC by 13 at PC a couple weeks ago. I don't think Pikeville needed help from the refs. Guys on 103.1 (not Pikeville guys) were saying the officiating was bad both ways. I don't know if there is an agenda to punish all PC sports because of what is going on there. If there is Pikeville wouldn't be involved in it. I don't want to be playing PC at all until that "issue" is resolved one way or the other. It's a no win situation, unfortunately.
Hey Colonel, didn't Pikeville beat Pike Central at Pike Central by double digits earlier? Was that the refs too? Need to learn to adjust to the way refs are calling a game is all I can say. Don't know about radio announcers( they are not refs). Sometimes you hear what you want to hear! YOU LOST!!! Be a sport and move on. Your feelings for Pikeville have been shown through earlier posts as well. If you don't like fouls being called then just QUIT FOULING. Don't try to take a hard earned victory for a team and make it sound like it was given to them.
10-4
It was a foul-fest, some good...some bad. It happens.

No excuses, Pikeville has been the better team this season. Congratulations to them.

Super proud of our girls...they had an incredible season and return basically their whole team next season (just one senior and didn't play often.)
Couple weeks ago PC just got beat, plain and simple, well called game...which is hard to come by... however, it was from the get go, fans from FC and SC were even talking about it...but like I said Congrats to the Pikeville Players they played hard. And I realize that we will not all agree so this is my final post on this subject... prayers for all players to have an injury free tournament.
PHSForever Wrote:“Seems like Orem has buddied up”. Funny. Fact of the matter is, Pike Centrals style of play leads to more fouls or he potential for them, depending on how the refs call it. I didn’t see the alleged over the back you’re speaking of so I can’t really comment on it. But Pike Central has a very good year. Congrats on a great season. But Pikeville has consistently shown over the course of the season to be one of the better teams in the 15th region. Don’t dismiss the whole because you feel like the coach “buddied up” to refs (hint: they ALL try to work refs) when she has shown all season how well she has developed these girls over the past two seasons. Pike Central as a whole really isn’t in a position to accuse or imply cheating right now anyway.

The girls program didn't have anything to do with that stuff so I wouldn't quite say that. BUT I do agree that no one got cheated. I was there and a lot of the foul calls were actually fouls. Were they a few that wasn't or could've fallen in the its the postseason let them play category? Yeah but that's the case with every game. The Stanley play was a bad call. Plus in my opinion from my point of view they weren't much there for a technical. Especially to end a career like that. I do think based on that and the games last night the refs need to calm down with the technicals. While I don't think Pike Central or Shelby Valley boys last night got cheated the refs are letting these topics have air by calling these questionable technicals. It obviously made a difference with Stanley and Potter for Shelby Valley last night in my opinion. Again I don't think anyone got cheated out of a ball game. Also im not saying the officials should let the players say or do whatever they want without a Technical. But really they should decide what is necessary and understand this time of the year emotions go a little high. Trash talk will happen and players may complain about a call. Their fighting for there season and seniors for their high school playing career. Let some stuff go.