Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region tournament
Where is the tournament this year?
Corbin Arena i think?
I know this-after watching a good part of the 11th region this year, whomever wins the 13th will be getting knocked out of the quarterfinals by the 11th region, whether it be Scott Co, Madison Central or one of the Lexington schools.

Not to overlook a first round match with the 14th region, but this was a pretty bad draw for the 13th region champ to make any kind of run at Rupp.

Edited to mention that I overlooked that the 11th plays the seventh region in the first round. Well, at least one of the top 5 schools in the state will get knocked out.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:I know this-after watching a good part of the 11th region this year, whomever wins the 13th will be getting knocked out of the quarterfinals by the 11th region, whether it be Scott Co, Madison Central or one of the Lexington schools.

Not to overlook a first round match with the 14th region, but this was a pretty bad draw for the 13th region champ to make any kind of run at Rupp.

Edited to mention that I overlooked that the 11th plays the seventh region in the first round. Well, at least one of the top 5 schools in the state will get knocked out.

I think if Fern Creek wins the 7th, they'll beat Scott County in the 1st round. If Trinity wins, I see Scott County winning. But if any 13th region team makes it to the 2nd round, they'd have to play perfect to get by whoever. But I don't think it's impossible at all. There's no overwhelming #1 team that can't be beat by anyone.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I think if Fern Creek wins the 7th, they'll beat Scott County in the 1st round. If Trinity wins, I see Scott County winning. But if any 13th region team makes it to the 2nd round, they'd have to play perfect to get by whoever. But I don't think it's impossible at all. There's no overwhelming #1 team that can't be beat by anyone.

In a one game, win or go home scenario, especially at tournament time, anything is possible. However, I just got home from watching South Laurel at Henry Clay. The difference in athleticism is noticeable. Henry Clay is middle of the pack, yet they score in bunches and have a couple of decent regional wins under their belt. I've yet to see Scott County or Madison Central, but I'll be checking out Central on Monday night.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:In a one game, win or go home scenario, especially at tournament time, anything is possible. However, I just got home from watching South Laurel at Henry Clay. The difference in athleticism is noticeable. Henry Clay is middle of the pack, yet they score in bunches and have a couple of decent regional wins under their belt. I've yet to see Scott County or Madison Central, but I'll be checking out Central on Monday night.

Scott County only beat Henry Clay by 6. Middle of the pack in the 11th can beat the top teams on any given night.
I think the winner of the 13th/14th region game will be in the best position possible considering who they'll be playing in the second round. The winner of the 7th/11th game will be coming of what will most likely be a very intense, emotionally draining game, and should be poised for an emotional let down in the second round. That being said, it will still take a near perfect game to beat them and even then it will be a very long shot.
I saw Fern Creek in the Arbys Classic and was less than impressed.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I think if Fern Creek wins the 7th, they'll beat Scott County in the 1st round. If Trinity wins, I see Scott County winning. But if any 13th region team makes it to the 2nd round, they'd have to play perfect to get by whoever. But I don't think it's impossible at all. There's no overwhelming #1 team that can't be beat by anyone.
No way Fern Creek is winning the 7th. Because they are in the 6th.
Knox has already showed they can drill anyone that comes out of the 14th. Knox will give Scott Co a good game, hope they can knock them off!
Does anyone else find it just a bit strange that the 14th officials are calling the 13th region and then the regions match up in the state tournament? This is not a well thought out plan.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Does anyone else find it just a bit strange that the 14th officials are calling the 13th region and then the regions match up in the state tournament? This is not a well thought out plan.
FYI
This is incorrect!
they are doing a 3 way switch from what I hear with the 13,14,15th regions.
13th to 14th
14th to 15th
15th to 13th
This is the last that I heard from here in the 14th.
And last year that did happen with the 14th calling the 15th and yes it was probably not a good idea, due to one of the officials being from one of the top teams in the 14th. So I believe that will not happen again.
Then it has been changed which is good.
Van Hagar Wrote:No way Fern Creek is winning the 7th. Because they are in the 6th.

That they are. Was thinking because they've played 3 times that they was in the 7th. I guess Ballard has a outside shot, but not very likely at all.
Patriot train Wrote:FYI
This is incorrect!
they are doing a 3 way switch from what I hear with the 13,14,15th regions.
13th to 14th
14th to 15th
15th to 13th
This is the last that I heard from here in the 14th.

The 13th can't win for losing. The only region with worse officials than the 13th is the 15th. None that seem to be crooked or anything, but I've saw several from the 15th that didn't know basic rules.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:That they are. Was thinking because they've played 3 times that they was in the 7th. I guess Ballard has a outside shot, but not very likely at all.

I’m pretty sure they used be in the 7th, and got moved when the Bullitt Co. teams came in and they rearranged those regions some. To tell you the truth, until I stumbled across it looking for something else, I thought they were still in the 7th also.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:That they are. Was thinking because they've played 3 times that they was in the 7th. I guess Ballard has a outside shot, but not very likely at all.

Looking back on old KHSAA records, looks like Fern Creek made the jump to the 6th at the start of the 2011-12 season. Being from that area originally, I tend to place everyone in eastern Jefferson county in the 7th.

I think Ballard has a decent shot at knocking off Trinity. They've played a very strong schedule and have only lost by a few points to top teams, including Scott County and Floyd Central (Indiana), who is led by Romeo Langford.

I tend to agree that the 7th/11th winner could be primed for a letdown, but let's be honest, both regions are on a whole different level of talent and results. I am looking forward to checking out Madison Central and their extremely long center, Isiah Cozart, this coming Monday at South Laurel.
Regardless which team survives the tournament at the Arena, I hope they go to Rupp and represent the 13th with class. Should be a great week on the hill.
Does anyone realize how important the 50th district championship game will be? The Corbin/South winner will avoid KC, North or Harlan Co. in the first round, while the loser is guaranteed to draw one of those three (that's assuming no earth-shaking upsets in the 49th, 51st or 52nd). So the winner gets an opening round game they should be able to win on an off-night, while the loser is basically guaranteed having to be on top of their game for three nights running to win it. Any South-Corbin game is intense to begin with, that one will really be something to see.
Van Hagar Wrote:Does anyone realize how important the 50th district championship game will be? The Corbin/South winner will avoid KC, North or Harlan Co. in the first round, while the loser is guaranteed to draw one of those three (that's assuming no earth-shaking upsets in the 49th, 51st or 52nd). So the winner gets an opening round game they should be able to win on an off-night, while the loser is basically guaranteed having to be on top of their game for three nights running to win it. Any South-Corbin game is intense to begin with, that one will really be something to see.

That game will be huge. I also believe that Lynn camp or Jackson/Clay could upset one of the district winners in the first round as well. Lynn Camp only lost to some people’s 13th region favorites by 5. I don’t think those two teams could win 3 straight but the thought of them winning one and beating a team looking forward to the second round is very possible.
A South/Whitley matchup could put a damper on your South/Corbin championship game. I think South would rather play the Jackets in round 1, Whitley plays hard and has the talent to give South a sturdy first round game if not a loss. Can't judge the Colonels on their record, the 2 teams matchup pretty close on positions and if Whitley doesn't lose a starter going into the 4th at South then that 4 point loss might have been a 4 point win.
Patriot train Wrote:Knox has already showed they can drill anyone that comes out of the 14th. Knox will give Scott Co a good game, hope they can knock them off!
Knox will be sitting at the house.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:That game will be huge. I also believe that Lynn camp or Jackson/Clay could upset one of the district winners in the first round as well. Lynn Camp only lost to some people’s 13th region favorites by 5. I don’t think those two teams could win 3 straight but the thought of them winning one and beating a team looking forward to the second round is very possible.

Go Colonels Smile
Rainingthrees Wrote:A South/Whitley matchup could put a damper on your South/Corbin championship game. I think South would rather play the Jackets in round 1, Whitley plays hard and has the talent to give South a sturdy first round game if not a loss. Can't judge the Colonels on their record, the 2 teams matchup pretty close on positions and if Whitley doesn't lose a starter going into the 4th at South then that 4 point loss might have been a 4 point win.
I mean I know upsets happen in the postseason, but man I just don’t see it in this case.
Van Hagar Wrote:Does anyone realize how important the 50th district championship game will be? The Corbin/South winner will avoid KC, North or Harlan Co. in the first round, while the loser is guaranteed to draw one of those three (that's assuming no earth-shaking upsets in the 49th, 51st or 52nd). So the winner gets an opening round game they should be able to win on an off-night, while the loser is basically guaranteed having to be on top of their game for three nights running to win it. Any South-Corbin game is intense to begin with, that one will really be something to see.

There won't be a easy first day match up at the region for hardly anyone. In an elimination game, playing Lynn Camp, Bell, Clay or Corbin-South isn't easy. I also think Bell could upset Harlan County if Nolan is still hurt. I never heard if he played against Corbin or not.
Rainingthrees Wrote:A South/Whitley matchup could put a damper on your South/Corbin championship game. I think South would rather play the Jackets in round 1, Whitley plays hard and has the talent to give South a sturdy first round game if not a loss. Can't judge the Colonels on their record, the 2 teams matchup pretty close on positions and if Whitley doesn't lose a starter going into the 4th at South then that 4 point loss might have been a 4 point win.

Last I heard, if both South and Corbin win their remaining district games, there will be a coin toss to determine #1 seed in district.
Does it really matter.....Williamsburg or Whitley is the outcome.
TheRock Wrote:Does it really matter.....Williamsburg or Whitley is the outcome.

For South Laurel it does. They struggled both times with Whitley. Doesn't matter what level you're on, high school, college, pro's, there's always a team out there that will match up well with a team that has a much better record/resume.