Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 83 (7) West Virginia 76
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - Freshman forward Kevin Knox scored 19 of his season-high 34 points in the second half and Kentucky overcame a 17-point deficit to beat No. 7 West Virginia 83-76 in the Big 12/SEC Challenge on Saturday night.

Hamidou Diallo added 13 points for Kentucky (16-5), which made all 18 of its free throw attempts after halftime.

Knox offset a strong performance from Jevon Carter, who finished with 26 points for West Virginia (16-5). James ''Beetle'' Bolden added 17 points and Sagaba Konate had 13 points and seven blocked shots for the Mountaineers.

West Virginia led for most of the game but fell quiet after halftime. Knox scored 12 points during a 21-2 run, capped by his dunk with 10:39 left for a 58-56 lead.

Bolden, a Kentucky native who said he had been waiting for this opportunity to play his home-state school, hit a 3-pointer to tie the score at 74 with 1:23 left. But West Virginia didn't make another basket.

Knox's 3-pointer with 1:05 remaining put Kentucky ahead to stay. Nick Richards dunked off a rebound with 30 seconds left, and Quade Green and Wenyen Gabriel each sank two free throws after that to seal the win.

It marked the third time in five games that West Virginia has blown a double-digit lead in the second half.

BIG PICTURE

Kentucky: The Wildcats beat a ranked team for the first time this season and have won two straight since dropping out of the AP Top 25 last Monday for the first time since March 2014.

West Virginia: The Mountaineers have lost two straight and four of their last five games after being ranked No. 2 two weeks ago, their highest ranking since December 1959.

UP NEXT

Kentucky: Hosts Vanderbilt on Tuesday.

http://ukathletics.com/news/2018/1/27/me...ginia.aspx
What a win for the Cats!

West Virginia played some of the toughest defense I’ve seen in my days of watching college basketball and got the Cats down by 23 I believe at one point. Our guys never gave up and never panicked and Knox was incredible tonight and the player we need him to be at all times.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Wow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hopefully the turning point in the season.
C.a.t.s. Cats cats cats. Goooooooooooooooo catttttttttttttssssss!!!!
We saw the potential of this team last night...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Love the fact that for once these young guys didn’t back down from the fight. They grew up a lot tonight. I don’t think anyone myself included thought these freshmen could go into Morgantown and handle that pressure but they played amazing in the 2nd half. Great win!!!
Where are all the Cal naysayers and one and done haters?
Either you are on the wagon or off it.

A win that nobody expected. A team that has to listen to people doubting their manhood or selfishness.
Got punched in the mouth several times and didn't run and hide. They may have turned the corner.
UKisN1 Wrote:Where are all the Cal naysayers and one and done haters?

A win that nobody expected. A team that has to listen to people doubting their manhood or selfishness.

While it was a good road win over a top 10 team(for now), WV is an awful offensive team that gets wore down early in the game by there own doing pressing all the time. Not to mention the fact that they've lost 4 of their last 5.
I don't think this really changes anything. Kentucky is still Kentucky. Without the exceptional performance from Knox, this would have been a bad loss.
Good West Viriginia has a good defense..... Worst offensive I have seen all year.... Please UK do not get too cocky, that is only one good win... So much to go... We better be getting a whole lot better or we will end with with a 8'or 9 seed...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:While it was a good road win over a top 10 team(for now), WV is an awful offensive team that gets wore down early in the game by there own doing pressing all the time. Not to mention the fact that they've lost 4 of their last 5.
I don't think this really changes anything. Kentucky is still Kentucky. Without the exceptional performance from Knox, this would have been a bad loss.
Knew they would come out.
BlueSky Wrote:Good West Viriginia has a good defense..... Worst offensive I have seen all year.... Please UK do not get too cocky, that is only one good win... So much to go... We better be getting a whole lot better or we will end with with a 8'or 9 seed...
Another one...touted as a 5 seed..would have to drop all road games for us to be a 8 or 9..it is possible but unlikely.
I must tell you the truth!! I turned the game off about 5 minutes in. We were running scared and couldn't stick our finger in our butt!! I turned in back on, and we were 17 down. The third time I checked in, we were within 4. Then I watched the rest of the game.

I'm an awful fair weather fan; I know that!! I just cannot stand to see us lose when not giving a good effort.
Yes we may be a 5 or 6 now, but lose another 3 and not win SEC tournament they would love to make us an 8 or 9.... And we might deserve it....
WVU wore down cause they press so much....
WVU had more fouls called on them....
You gotta have a team of Juniors & Seniors to get big road wins....
The 'One & Done' players don't care about the name on the front of the jersey....
"Cal can't Coach"
Had "this" or "that" not happened, UK would have lost....

Can somebody PLEASE explain why we have some of the most negative "fans" on the planet? Our team of freshman went to the #7 ranked teams home arena, came from 17 points down in the 2nd half and got the W. Some of our fans just cannot enjoy the entire principle of sports. Enjoy the ride. Support your team if they are 40-0 or 0-40. Anybody can be a fan of #1 NBA draft picks and going to the Final Four. Getting beat by Tennessee and South Carolina though seems to be another story. Getting frustrated and aggravated is part of it as well.... but looking for and trying finding reasons to complain after a big win like this isn't much of a fan.

Big deal, WVU had lost some games before we played them. Morgantown is considered one of the most hostile enviorments in the entire country. All accounts said that Morgantown was electric all week and Saturday was like major football gameday atmosphere.
UK was on the verge of getting blown out in the 2nd half.

UK was down 33-50 (that's 17 points) at the 18:57 in the 2nd half., but from the 5:45 mark, UK took the lead and led the rest of the game. Would other Cal teams have wilted when down 17 points.... who knows and who cares, it doesn't matter. This team is what matters.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed

Here I am. For the record I was never on the wagon.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:WVU wore down cause they press so much....
The 'One & Done' players don't care about the name on the front of the jersey....
"Cal can't Coach"

Can somebody PLEASE explain why we have some of the most negative "fans" on the planet? Our team of freshman went to the #7 ranked teams home arena, came from 17 points down in the 2nd half and got the W. Some of our fans just cannot enjoy the entire principle of sports. Enjoy the ride. Support your team if they are 40-0 or 0-40. Anybody can be a fan of #1 NBA draft picks and going to the Final Four. Getting beat by Tennessee and South Carolina though seems to be another story. Getting frustrated and aggravated is part of it as well.... but looking for and trying finding reasons to complain after a big win like this isn't much of a fan.

Big deal, WVU had lost some games before we played them. Morgantown is considered one of the most hostile enviorments in the entire country. All accounts said that Morgantown was electric all week and Saturday was like major football gameday atmosphere.

UK was down 33-50 (that's 17 points) at the 18:57 in the 2nd half., but from the 5:45 mark, UK took the lead and led the rest of the game. Would other Cal teams have wilted when down 17 points.... who knows and who cares, it doesn't matter. This team is what matters.

Almost all can bases are negative. That is unfortunately nature.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:While it was a good road win over a top 10 team(for now), WV is an awful offensive team that gets wore down early in the game by there own doing pressing all the time. Not to mention the fact that they've lost 4 of their last 5.

Kentucky will make a deep run in the NCAA tournament as usual. remember I said so.
Granny Bear Wrote:I must tell you the truth!! I turned the game off about 5 minutes in. We were running scared and couldn't stick our finger in our butt!! I turned in back on, and we were 17 down. The third time I checked in, we were within 4. Then I watched the rest of the game.

I'm an awful fair weather fan; I know that!! I just cannot stand to see us lose when not giving a good effort.
shame on you :dontthink
Pulp Fiction Wrote:WVU wore down cause they press so much....
"Cal can't Coach"

Westside Wrote:Almost all can bases are negative. That is unfortunately nature.

This is true.
It just seems like some UK fans are never happy with coaching, recruiting, the players, the way we play.... you name it, some UK fans complain complain complain.

Like I said earlier, we beat a very good #7 ranked WVU team on their home floor. Yet, some "fans" still wanna be negative and say UK won't make a run in March Madness....... ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!

It makes no sense to me why some people follow UK athletics, but seem to take no joy in or show pride in their team after big wins like this.

I take no enjoyment out of watching QVC or the Home Shopping Network. So I don't watch those channels. It makes no sense for people that say they are UK fans to watch all the games, but complain the entire time and seem not to enjoy being a fan. Put on a Duke, Loserville, UNC or Tennessee hat and be a fan of one those teams.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
pjdoug Wrote:shame on you :dontthink
I know!

Pulp Fiction Wrote:This is true.
It just seems like some UK fans are never happy with coaching, recruiting, the players, the way we play.... you name it, some UK fans complain complain complain.

Like I said earlier, we beat a very good #7 ranked WVU team on their home floor. Yet, some "fans" still wanna be negative and say UK won't make a run in March Madness....... ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!

It makes no sense to me why some people follow UK athletics, but seem to take no joy in or show pride in their team after big wins like this.

I take no enjoyment out of watching QVC or the Home Shopping Network. So I don't watch those channels. It makes no sense for people that say they are UK fans to watch all the games, but complain the entire time and seem not to enjoy being a fan. Put on a Duke, Loserville, UNC or Tennessee hat and be a fan of one those teams.

NEVER!!!!!
UKisN1 Wrote:Knew they would come out.

You asked for it.

Yahtzee
For those praising WV, I for one was not that impressed. They are bad on offense and I did not feel they played that well on defense; look at UK's turnovers in first half and I feel most were unforced, UK just looked like nervous freshmen first half, settled down second half and showed the talented potential they have. Going to be fun to see how much they can improve from now to March.
And just like that, WV loses another one, this time to a bad Iowa State team.

Meanwhile Kentucky was given a game they should have lost at home to a horrible vandy team.
But continue on....

I'm still doubting.

:biglmao:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:And just like that, WV loses another one, this time to a bad Iowa State team.

Meanwhile Kentucky was given a game they should have lost at home to a horrible vandy team.
But continue on....

:oooo:
Westside Wrote:I'm still doubting.

:biglmao:
Most non-fans will.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:And just like that, WV loses another one, this time to a bad Iowa State team.

But continue on....
Who had just defeated TCU.
UKisN1 Wrote:Most non-fans will.

You are coreect. I am a nonfan if that is actually a word.