Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 63, Pikeville 51
In a rematch of the game on Sunday, SV pulls the upset over the Panthers.

Each team now owns a 12-point win over the other in district play. If each team were to win the rest of their district games to finish 5-1, what would be the tiebreaker? Coin flip?

Anyway, congrats to the Wildcats on a much-needed win. Good luck to Pikeville in Richmond.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sadly, I bet it is a coin flip!
congrats to SV on the win.
#IBLEEDBLUE Wrote:Sadly, I bet it is a coin flip!

I don't know what else it could be. I don't think they would look at point margins from the teams' other district games.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on this question?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't know what else it could be. I don't think they would look at point margins from the teams' other district games.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on this question?

The good news for both is it likely will not matter. However, East Ridge seems to be playing quite a bit better than earlier in the year.
For what it’s worth, if there is a two way tie for 1st, it will be decided by a coin toss. First or second will only determine who is listed as the home team and the visitor in the finals of the district tournament.
Panther Thunder Wrote:The good news for both is it likely will not matter. However, East Ridge seems to be playing quite a bit better than earlier in the year.

EKY Wrote:For what it’s worth, if there is a two way tie for 1st, it will be decided by a coin toss. First or second will only determine who is listed as the home team and the visitor in the finals of the district tournament.

Eh, I do think I would rather be the 1-seed instead of the 2. East Ridge has already swept Jenkins (who is winless at 0-18), with the last one being a blowout. I'm certainly not going to count SV's games with ER as sure wins at this point, especially the game over at Lick Creek. If Pikeville and Valley do each finish 5-1 in district, I'm sure both would much rather be the top seed, and it has nothing to do with who wears their home whites.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I know I would rather be the 1 seed and play Jenkins in the first round instead of a much improved, Randy McCoy coached, Warrior team.
Poor scheduling on both coaches part. Never should have scheduled a district game during the week of All A. Of course, Hicks knew it would be an advantage for his team. I’m sure he figured Pikeville would win The All A region and it would be a win win situation for SV and a lose lose situation for Pikeville. My point, this game should have never been scheduled this week to start with!
I agree it should have been rescheduled but still, what happened to Pikeville? Also, I don't care who the 1 seed is as ER is down. You don't get a championship trophy for a 1 seed.
Pikeville was 7-0 against SV, over the past 3 seasons. This game was the Super Bowl for SV.
4everUK Wrote:Of course, Hicks knew it would be an advantage for his team. I’m sure he figured Pikeville would win The All A region and it would be a win win situation for SV and a lose lose situation for Pikeville.

No advantage for SV. Both teams played each other on Sunday, then had Monday off. Seems pretty equal to me.

Stop trying to discredit what was a good win for Shelby Valley.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Did the Ref who was arrested for DUI and Disorderly Conduct on 1-23-18, call this game?
More Cowbell Wrote:No advantage for SV. Both teams played each other on Sunday, then had Monday off. Seems pretty equal to me.

Stop trying to discredit what was a good win for Shelby Valley.

You forgot that Pikeville has a state tournament to prepare for and play in this week. Nobody is trying to discredit SV. We will see how it plays out in the district and regional tourneys.
jetpilot Wrote:You forgot that Pikeville has a state tournament to prepare for and play in this week. Nobody is trying to discredit SV. We will see how it plays out in the district and regional tourneys.
Plus Pikeville was without the services of Cade Byers, injured after being fouled on his monster dunk in the All A. Except it wasn’t a foul, according to the ref. Lol. Kind of a big piece to replace in 24 hours. Pikeville will be fine. Congrats to the Eagles.
In general, Pikeville is a better team and would probably win 7 out of 10 matches between the two teams, but these excuses and complaints are comical. Byers out is obviously a factor but some of this other stuff is absurd.
jetpilot Wrote:You forgot that Pikeville has a state tournament to prepare for and play in this week. Nobody is trying to discredit SV. We will see how it plays out in the district and regional tourneys.

Yes, Pikeville had a tournament game on Thursday night to prepare for. Shelby Valley also had a game on Thursday night to prepare for, an important district game at East Ridge. So each team played Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. Again, neither team had an advantage.

And yes, we will see how it plays out in the post-season. I think most level-headed SV fans would agree that Pikeville is still the clear favorite despite this result. But on this night, Valley was the better team. No excuses.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PHSForever Wrote:Plus Pikeville was without the services of Cade Byers, injured after being fouled on his monster dunk in the All A. Except it wasn’t a foul, according to the ref. Lol. Kind of a big piece to replace in 24 hours. Pikeville will be fine. Congrats to the Eagles.

I saw the play, Panther Thunder had posted the video on the game thread (nice job PT). It was a great dunk.

But he wasn't injured on a foul, he was injured when he landed on his wrist. Pretty clear to see on the video. And from watching the video, I don't even see a foul, just a defender jumping straight up to go for a block. Good no-call by the ref.

And yes, Pikeville will be fine. They are still the team to beat in the 15th region.

But I do have to ask, who are the Eagles? Did Todd May resurrect the ghosts of old Virgie High to play in this one?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Good win for Shelby Valley. At least if they meet in the post season SV knows now that they can compete with Pikeville. Pikeville has took a couple of lumps this week but are still the front runner in the 15th.
More Cowbell Wrote:I saw the play, Panther Thunder had posted the video on the game thread (nice job PT). It was a great dunk.

But he wasn't injured on a foul, he was injured when he landed on his wrist. Pretty clear to see on the video. And from watching the video, I don't even see a foul, just a defender jumping straight up to go for a block. Good no-call by the ref.

And yes, Pikeville will be fine. They are still the team to beat in the 15th region.

But I do have to ask, who are the Eagles? Did Todd May resurrect the ghosts of old Virgie High to play in this one?
It was a play on words, as an old dude, saw more than my share of hard fouls, it was a little old school “you dunk, you pay” kind of fouls. NOT dirty but not needed. And the contact up high (not straight up either) resulted in him landing like he did. Otherwise it PROBABLY would have been a come straight down landing.
More Cowbell Wrote:Yes, Pikeville had a tournament game on Thursday night to prepare for. Shelby Valley also had a game on Thursday night to prepare for, an important district game at East Ridge. So each team played Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. Again, neither team had an advantage.

And yes, we will see how it plays out in the post-season. I think most level-headed SV fans would agree that Pikeville is still the clear favorite despite this result. But on this night, Valley was the better team. No excuses.

You're right. I'm sure the ER game is as big to SV as the state tournament is to Pikeville. Satisfied?
jetpilot Wrote:You're right. I'm sure the ER game is as big to SV as the state tournament is to Pikeville. Satisfied?

I don't know what was bigger. Maybe an All-A tournament is a little "bigger", but I will say that a district game is way more important than some random game against Betsy Layne or whatever.

But that's beside the point. What difference does it make what kind of game you have 2 days later? Each team had a full day off to prepare for the rematch, then was going to have another full day off to prepare for a game on Thursday. Same amount of rest, same prep time. This isn't rocket science.

Now I'm satisfied.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PHSForever Wrote:It was a play on words, as an old dude, saw more than my share of hard fouls, it was a little old school “you dunk, you pay” kind of fouls. NOT dirty but not needed. And the contact up high (not straight up either) resulted in him landing like he did. Otherwise it PROBABLY would have been a come straight down landing.

Not needed? What on earth are you talking about? I suppose you think that if a player is going for a dunk then the other team's player should just get out of the way and let him do it?

There was no ill intent on that play. The video PT posted doesn't show a foul at all, and certainly not a "hard" foul. If there was any contact up high, it was incidental and not worthy of a foul call by the ref. The SV player was trying to prevent the block, he just couldn't get high enough to do it.

Again, nice dunk by the Pikeville kid. Just bad luck that he landed the way he did. I wish him well, hopefully he can get back before the postseason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]