Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region officials
I don’t think they all cheat I think there just bad I think they to be on some kind rating system so if they drop down low there not allowed to ref that might straighten some of the mess we got. 1) We got three types of refs right now we one maybe two refs that are good at what they do 2) we got some that are just terrible no matter what they try to do. 3) we got a bunch that will screw you just because they don’t like that school and from what i here the 14th Region isn’t much better our kids deserve better but it doesn’t look like anything is going to get better anytime soon
13th isn’t much better either
You should definitely see a 13th region game first. Lol. Bad and special interests all over the place.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:You should definitely see a 13th region game first. Lol. Bad and special interests all over the place.

It looks like the KHASS could do a better job at getting quality officials sounds like it’s just bad all over
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:It looks like the KHASS could do a better job at getting quality officials sounds like it’s just bad all over

The KHSAA doesn't not 'get' any officials. People interested in becoming a ref or those already a referee but needs to be re-licensed each year has to go through the KHSAA. The KHSAA does not assign referee's to any certain area of the state/region or regular game. Most sports have some type of Officials Association. To keep things as close to home as possible, basketball regions are used for almost every sport. The majority of basketball regions are smaller and have more teams per capita than any other sport. The member schools in that region have some type of an agreement with the officials association so they can have ref's assigned for the games as needed.

The only exception is when the KHSAA assigns officials for post-season contests.

The best way to complain about officials that will get results is to go to the officials association. If there is some type of legit conflict between a ref and a school/coach, then most associations will address the issue as best as possible.

Just because a referee is just overall bad doesn't mean the KHSAA will revoke their license. They have to be caught in the act of gambling on the game, commit some type of violent/sexual crime or something like that.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
This situation hasn't changed for years! 15th regions have horrible officials, 13th is worse and 14th are THE worst!!! It isn't all of the officials, but the ones who are bad make it bad for the good ones.

Grin and bear it. Doubt you will change anything.
Come to the 13 th. Worst refs in the state. Gonna get some players hurt by being stupid
Do you think all the refs are bad in the 15th ?
fx3 Wrote:Do you think all the refs are bad in the 15th ?

Yes there terrible I went to a game last night just to go watch a team I haven’t get to see yet and the officiating was simply bad I believe in Eastern Kentucky you just to have to be able to breathe to get your license and it hurts our basketball
I was there and Belfry had every chance to win that game. It’s to easy to blame refs when kids miss shots do stupid things and turn the ball over. Never their fault. It’s sad to accuse someone of cheating when you have not refereed one game haven’t been in their shoes but you sit in the stands and say that’s not right when you don’t even know the rules. We’re there missed calls sure always are no ones perfect . Want to know why they don’t have more officials or better ones? It’s fools like you who get on this program and talk about them or go to the games and try to intimidate young officials. If the people crying the loudest would get their license and get out there and see how hard it is you’d be crying a different tune. Yes the 15th has some good officials one or two is ludicrous there are several. There are bad ones everywhere . Both teams had 3 chances each to win that game but because your team didn’t win you get in here and point a finger in a direction you have no idea about. There will always be mistakes to expect perfection is ridiculous! Are you perfect in your job? Are any of us? No we make mistakes we are all human
Ivebeenthere Wrote:I was there and Belfry had every chance to win that game. It’s to easy to blame refs when kids miss shots do stupid things and turn the ball over. Never their fault. It’s sad to accuse someone of cheating when you have not refereed one game haven’t been in their shoes but you sit in the stands and say that’s not right when you don’t even know the rules. We’re there missed calls sure always are no ones perfect . Want to know why they don’t have more officials or better ones? It’s fools like you who get on this program and talk about them or go to the games and try to intimidate young officials. If the people crying the loudest would get their license and get out there and see how hard it is you’d be crying a different tune. Yes the 15th has some good officials one or two is ludicrous there are several. There are bad ones everywhere . Both teams had 3 chances each to win that game but because your team didn’t win you get in here and point a finger in a direction you have no idea about. There will always be mistakes to expect perfection is ridiculous! Are you perfect in your job? Are any of us? No we make mistakes we are all human

First of all I’m not talking about any certain game I was simply talking about bad officiating all over the region and ol pal you use that word fool loosely so grow a pair if you don’t like what I got to say come talk to me about I’m free anytime
The KHSAA referee test for any sport is 100 questions.
All questions are True/False or multiple choice.
You have to get a 70% to pass.
Plus, you have to pay the yearly licensing/re-licensing fee.

Here is the kicker, that 70% is a ONE TIME score. Meaning, you only have to take the test ONE TIME to get your license. You can be a referee for fifty years and only have to take the test one time.
However, if you want to do post-season contests, you have to take the Part II exam each year, but it is NOT a requirement. It's 100 questions as well, but they are harder and you have to get an 80%.

There are so many referees across the state that there is no way the KHSAA can evaluate each referee for every sport, during that particular season. Even though some refs probably need it more than others, some type of grading system/evaluation system does need to be implemented.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The KHSAA referee test for any sport is 100 questions.
All questions are True/False or multiple choice.
You have to get a 70% to pass.
Plus, you have to pay the yearly licensing/re-licensing fee.

Here is the kicker, that 70% is a ONE TIME score. Meaning, you only have to take the test ONE TIME to get your license. You can be a referee for fifty years and only have to take the test one time.
However, if you want to do post-season contests, you have to take the Part II exam each year, but it is NOT a requirement. It's 100 questions as well, but they are harder and you have to get an 80%.

There are so many referees across the state that there is no way the KHSAA can evaluate each referee for every sport, during that particular season. Even though some refs probably need it more than others, some type of grading system/evaluation system does need to be implemented.

I agree they definitely need a evaluation system does need to be implemented
This would be my recommendation for an evaluation system for officials.

The KHSAA has three levels of Officials. Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3.
- Level 1 is a first year referee OR a referee that has never taken the Part II exam.
- Level 2 can be obtained after your first year and after you pass the Part II exam with an 80% or better. This is not a requirement. Once a Level 2 is obtained, you can stay there for your entire career.
- Level 3 is earned after the referee has seven (I think it is seven) years in that specific sport and scores a 90% or better on the Part II exam.

Any official that has refereed the Regional and/or State tournament in their specific sport in the past five seasons should be involved in the evaluation process of current officials. Those evals should be used by the referee's association and the KHSAA to determine who is selected for post-season assignments. The players and coaches deserve the best refs possible. They work all year and have gave the majority of their life to a sport they love to not have the best officials possible.
As far as the regular season goes, most refs have a career and a family. Getting them to train/practice would be a hard sell without being paid like a game. Referee numbers are growing smaller each year for reasons similar to the complaints we see in this thread. Not enough money for way too much aggravation. Add in an hour or so one-way, several people are hanging up their whistle to avoid the headaches. $65.00 isn't worth what some refs go through. The KHSAA will never employ actual officials for the sports they offer. Officials are considered Contractors for the KHSAA.
Refs seem to be getting worse, coaches and fans acting Like idiots. It's a thankless job.
Basketball a very hard game to call.... But yes I do believe there are ways to help make officials better.... May never happen, but I guess I will wait and see...
BlueSky Wrote:Basketball a very hard game to call.... But yes I do believe there are ways to help make officials better.... May never happen, but I guess I will wait and see...

I hope your right I hope it happens
First off, let me say I've only seen 15th, 16th and 9th region refs....of the 3, 15th is the worst - 16th, not too far behind. That being said, I do believe there are better, more-qualified people who simply aren't reffing due to the pay (I'm speaking for the 16th)...I live in Boyd County, near Ashland. If I were a ref, I could be assigned a game in Menifee County tonight and Morgan County tomorrow night. I would have to leave home around 5:30 for those games at the latest, and wouldn't get home til 10:00 or later....so I potentially could have 5 hours of my time invested, plus a lot of stress.....I can make more working at Chick-Fil-A. And yes, I do realize that most do it because they like doing it and like being around sports, not just for the $$....but I'm just saying I believe the pay is one thing keeping qualified people out of the game.
Eastern Kentucky officiating is bad period. Which in my opinion is one thing that hurts our teams when they get to state. One good example is the Cameron Justice and Evan Hall Knott county team. They was so protected in the 14th they never learned to play through any foul trouble or anything and they were so used to getting calls that they didn't know how to play when refs wouldn't call fouls every little reach in. Which I like. When you go to lexington and louisville and even out in western kentucky the refs actually let you play. I love seeing our mountain teams get out of eastern kentucky and play in these tournaments in other states and even in lexington and louisville. It only makes them better.
SportsFan67 Wrote:Eastern Kentucky officiating is bad period. Which in my opinion is one thing that hurts our teams when they get to state. One good example is the Cameron Justice and Evan Hall Knott county team. They was so protected in the 14th they never learned to play through any foul trouble or anything and they were so used to getting calls that they didn't know how to play when refs wouldn't call fouls every little reach in. Which I like. When you go to lexington and louisville and even out in western kentucky the refs actually let you play. I love seeing our mountain teams get out of eastern kentucky and play in these tournaments in other states and even in lexington and louisville. It only makes them better.

Perfect example.
SportsFan67 Wrote:Eastern Kentucky officiating is bad period. Which in my opinion is one thing that hurts our teams when they get to state. One good example is the Cameron Justice and Evan Hall Knott county team. They was so protected in the 14th they never learned to play through any foul trouble or anything and they were so used to getting calls that they didn't know how to play when refs wouldn't call fouls every little reach in. Which I like. When you go to lexington and louisville and even out in western kentucky the refs actually let you play. I love seeing our mountain teams get out of eastern kentucky and play in these tournaments in other states and even in lexington and louisville. It only makes them better.

This is just one BAD example. Some of Camron's biggest games were outside the 14th region. He averaged 27 ppg at the Beach Ball classic, had a 62 point game at Lexington Catholic Tournament, 38 against Charleston WV. Averaged 23 ppg in 6 State Tournament games 39 in his last game,and the list goes on and on!

Stats don't lie, let the KHSAA scoreboard be your friend!
And in those 6 games in the state tournament they go 2-4.
It always seems to me the best officials are in the stands or on message boards.

Here is the link to sign up https://officials.khsaa.org/off_app/
^^
RECOGNIZE!!!

Confusednicker:
The top 8-10 officials in each of the 13th, 14th, and 15th regions are excellent! You guys need to get out and watch some games outside you region. In my opinion Lexington and Louisville officials are not as good!
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:The top 8-10 officials in each of the 13th, 14th, and 15th regions are excellent! You guys need to get out and watch some games outside you region. In my opinion Lexington and Louisville officials are not as good!

When you go the Lexington or Louisville they let you play ball here it’s who they like and don’t like
Are you kidding. Lex and Lville let them play, not hardly. Central Ky Officials call Everything. That why they routinely have 30 + fouls a game. They are take hand check rule to next level and you can't breath on someone inside. They definitely do not "let them play". No matter what happens fans hate referees. That never going to change.
I've only watched 14th Region games this year with the exception of one Floyd Central home game and the WYMT Mountain Classic.

I've yet to see a poorly officiated game.
It really hasn’t mattered which region the referees were from, they are all terrible. Not just the mountains, you travel to the 10th or 11th region you are at a bad disadvantage.
Have to agree with Zaga for once! All the best officials seem to be in the stands, if you think you can improve the lack of good officials in Kentucky, go to Khsaa.org and get your license. Male or Female, young or old, come one, come all. Don't just talk about it, do something about it.