Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should marijuana be legal?
Should marijuana be legal?  Please don't just give a yes or no answer!  Give an answer and then explain why you feel that way so we may debate the subject.  Please have some supporting information to back your reason.  I will post my opinion and reason in a few days.  Thanks for your help on this thread.

:argue: :bow: :argue:
I dont think it should be legal. My feeling is it distorts your view on reality. I know some will argue that alcohol does the same thing, but i dont feel alcohol should be legal either. Thats just me though.
No!
Not by a long shot.  I've seen the things it can do to people and it's just not safe.  I agree with corndog too that I don't want alcohol to be legal either. 

The downside, is that more and more people would commit illegal crimes to get alcohol because it's illegal and people want what they "can't" have. 
[quote author=Tomcat68 link=topic=20793.msg209884#msg209884 date=1142198895]
Not by a long shot. I've seen the things it can do to people and it's just not safe. I agree with corndog too that I don't want alcohol to be legal either.

The downside, is that more and more people would commit illegal crimes to get alcohol because it's illegal and people want what they "can't" have.
[/quote]

Good point tomcat. They tried prohibition in the early 1900's and things got out of control! Alcohol just cannot be prohibited again, people would go wild like they did before. I wish it could be though.
NO!!!! I knew people in middle school that did it and from what i saw they didnt have the slightest clue what they were doing or for that where they were....wouldnt that just be scary???
Marijuana's a gateway drug, people try it and think "This is good, but it's not that strong or addictive, other drugs can't be too much worse," and drug addicts are born
i don't think pot should me made legal

but as far as beer goes, i'm drinking one right now, and i would be pissed if someone took it away from me. :no:
No
Wow I figured more people would say yes.  But I have to agree with no.  Never done it and don't have any intentions of it.
[quote author=Blackcat75 link=topic=20793.msg210231#msg210231 date=1142222553]

but as far as beer goes, i'm drinking one right now, and i would be pissed if someone took it away from me. :no:
[/quote]
Same here, take my beer away and I will fight you, take my Patron tequlia and I will probablly kill you.  :lol:

But I voted yes. I am a very economically based person. I am all about ways to raise the revnue and economy of Kentucky. This will trump tobacco as our cash crop and will bring millions of dollars to our State. The legalization of marijuana would raise money, jobs and brings great things to our state. Pot is like alcohol. It dampens the mind and causes bad judgement. We are all aware of the effects of both. We are all educated on this matters as we grow older by our parents, televison, school systems and speakers. But we are done the same for alcohol. I do not smoke pot or do I think it is ok to smoke it. But economically I vote yes as many times as possible. Really I just contadicted myself. So I guess what I would really vote yes to is to legalize it but make laws governing it. Just like alchol we have breathalizers to tell if you are to intoxicated to drive. We could do the same for marijuana. I know we have the technolgy to do this. So what do all think about legalizing it if a "how high are you'' machine is made. lol
[quote author=FUPA link=topic=20793.msg210290#msg210290 date=1142237099]

[/quote]
Same here, take my beer away and I will fight you, take my Patron tequlia and I will probablly kill you. :lol:

But I voted yes. I am a very economically based person. I am all about ways to raise the revnue and economy of Kentucky. This will trump tobacco as our cash crop and will bring millions of dollars to our State. The legalization of marijuana would raise money, jobs and brings great things to our state. Pot is like alcohol. It dampens the mind and causes bad judgement. We are all aware of the effects of both. We are all educated on this matters as we grow older by our parents, televison, school systems and speakers. But we are done the same for alcohol. I do not smoke pot or do I think it is ok to smoke it. But economically I vote yes as many times as possible. Really I just contadicted myself. So I guess what I would really vote yes to is to legalize it but make laws governing it. Just like alchol we have breathalizers to tell if you are to intoxicated to drive. We could do the same for marijuana. I know we have the technolgy to do this. So what do all think about legalizing it if a "how high are you'' machine is made. lol
[/quote]

But smoking marijuana kills so many brain cells, I think alcohol does the same thing, but during cigarette breaks, people don't go drink a beer.  However, if marijuana were legal, they'd probly go smoke marijuana, as a lot of people would on a regular basis, causing a decline in the quality of everything (work, school, etc)
Marajuania should never be legalized its stupid
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20793.msg210351#msg210351 date=1142260543]

[/quote]
Same here, take my beer away and I will fight you, take my Patron tequlia and I will probablly kill you. :lol:

[/quote]

But smoking marijuana kills so many brain cells, I think alcohol does the same thing, but during cigarette breaks, people don't go drink a beer.  However, if marijuana were legal, they'd probly go smoke marijuana, as a lot of people would on a regular basis, causing a decline in the quality of everything (work, school, etc)
[/quote]THis is a way the it would be regulated.  Leadership no allowing it to be smoked during breaks just as they don't allow alcohol to be consumed during breaks.

BTW....I voted no and have never tried it.
But smoking marijuana kills so many brain cells, I think alcohol does the same thing, but during cigarette breaks, people don't go drink a beer.  However, if marijuana were legal, they'd probly go smoke marijuana, as a lot of people would on a regular basis, causing a decline in the quality of everything (work, school, etc).
Quote:

Several people do go drink a beer or more for lunch, that doesn't make it right or wrong.  I would probably vote for its legalization, but only for one reason: CONTROL.  You can't control what you don't regulate.  Banning or making something illegal creates a market for it.  Without regulation, it is too profitable to fight.  Make drugs legal and watch the profitability go down.  No more crime becasue it isn't as expensive or hard to get.  You don't see many murders over someone trying to buy beer or cigarettes.  Bring drugs out into the light of day and watch them dry up.  Have to go into your corner market to buy marijuana or any other recreational drug and see how many people will actually do it.  Most people are embarassed to buy condoms at the pharmacy, let alone drugs.  Cockroaches only flourish in the dark, turn on the lights and they scurry.  Imagine how much is spent on the "War On Drugs".  What if cocaine was legal??  How much could the US have made on taxation rather than fighting it?  You can't stop it.  Our government fights issues on morality rather than determining whether it is plausible or the right solution.  Our own CIA flooded the market in the late 70s or early 80s by "accident".

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to take drugs, drink, smoke or anything else.  I'm not trying to say it isn't harmful.  To me it isn't a moral issue, but one of decreasing crime and spending while increasing revenue.  You don't get very far squashing individual cockroaches.  You figure out a way to get them all at once. 
[quote author=Homer Simpson link=topic=20793.msg210373#msg210373 date=1142264230]
[/quote]

Do you like Alcohol?  It makes people act very stupid and most of the time you have to be drunk to deal with them. 

[/quote]

So it is OK to put a substance in to your body that is known to destroy every organ in the body but you have a problem with pot!  Why is that?
a joint is equal to a pack of cigs

you are killing yourself one whay or another

if it builds new roads and we can tax it
why not
[/quote]
So I guess what I would really vote yes to is to legalize it but make laws governing it. Just like alchol we have breathalizers to tell if you are to intoxicated to drive. We could do the same for marijuana. I know we have the technolgy to do this. So what do all think about legalizing it if a "how high are you'' machine is made. lol
[/quote]

This can be done now: The FDA has recently given Epitope, Inc approval to begin manufacturing saliva test. In a study using RIA (Radioimmunoassay) test, cannabinoids were detected in saliva 4 to 10 hours after subjects smoked a single marijuana joint. Epitope has recently developed a test which detects drugs or their metabolites in saliva. However, this sort of test is limited to detecting very recent drug use. In one study, saliva testing was only able to detect cannabinoids 4-10 hours after the subjects had been smoking. It is likely that this test will be confined to detecting current intoxication only.

“Saliva testing has been touted as a "fitness for duty" test, as its window of detection begins as soon as a drug is ingested. Saliva tests will reveal only current or very recent (within the past twelve hours) marijuana use, but will detect use of cocaine, opiates, methamphetamine and Ecstasy over the past two to three days (urine will detect these drugs for three or four days after use). Saliva is typically experienced as cleaner and less intrusive than urine, and there are currently no known methods for defeating saliva testing. Saliva testing is useful for pre-employment, random, post-accident and for-cause testing. Both lab-based and on-site systems are available; the on-site system offers results ten minutes after taking the saliva sample. Saliva tests compare favorably in price to urine testing. "

You can read more about teating methods here: http://www.testnegative.com/drug-testing....htm  just for some more debate.
with all the people who already cry about having to inhale cigarette smoke, could you imagine how many people would bitch about getting a contact buzz. or the thought of getting one.

personally i don't care either way. this world is already screwed up why not add another factor in.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060313/hl_n..._memory_dc

Check that out, sounds like a bad idea if you read that because people would smoke it more comonly
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20793.msg210824#msg210824 date=1142304098]

Check that out, sounds like a bad idea if you read that because people would smoke it more comonly
[/quote]

I didn't get that from the link!
[quote author=BelfryJustice link=topic=20793.msg210757#msg210757 date=1142301490]
[quote author=Homer Simpson link=topic=20793.msg210373#msg210373 date=1142264230]
[/quote]

Do you like Alcohol? It makes people act very stupid and most of the time you have to be drunk to deal with them.
[/quote]

Im with homer! I HATE alcohol and the effects of it! I HATE marijuana and the effects of it! I HATE cigarettes and the effects of them!

Someon else stated earlier that there would be people getting contact buzz's. Can you imagine your 5 year old child getting a contact buzz walking home from school? Can you imagine your 8 year old sister coming home high? Could you imagine a preacher, or an elder in your church, getting high because someone around them was smoking weed? Can you imagine your mother or father coming home from work ready for a 10 sack of white castle because they got high at a gas station on the way home??

Its just not right people!!!
[quote author=BelfryJustice link=topic=20793.msg210765#msg210765 date=1142301745]

[/quote]

So it is OK to put a substance in to your body that is known to destroy every organ in the body but you have a problem with pot!  Why is that?
[/quote]

Beer is legal, and if your like me, everytime you drink a beer, your not trying to get drunk.  You just drink one or two for the taste. 
Check out this web-site

http://www.badgerbrewery.com/talk/good.asp

Also one day if i have kids, i want to be able to tell them honestly that i have never did drugs.

Also check out this site:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/ch...m99295.htm

In conclusion what i do on my own time, if i'm not driving or out making an ass of myself is none of your business!
i deffinently agree with everything blackcat has to say on this topic and every other topic... he always has the best opinions... not to mention he is the only real person on here who is true and honest with every response so whatever comment blackcat leaves you can double it and put my name on it  :bow:
[quote author=BelfryJustice link=topic=20793.msg210848#msg210848 date=1142305516]
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20793.msg210824#msg210824 date=1142304098]

[/quote]

I didn't get that from the link!
[/quote]

Did you not see the memory and attention effects as well as the effected cognitive abilities?  I don't think you even looked at the page
Also, i want you to know i'm just some punk rebel kid defending something i think "is the cool thing to do"
And i will be the first to admit i don't know everything, and i never will.  I have grown up with a family that takes the occasional drink, but not laying out drunk all the time, and in my eyes, there is nothing wrong with that.  But i was raised that when your old enough as long as your not getting drunk, and out driving, one or two beers is fine. And if my parents thought I was out getting drunk or drinking and driving they would kill me.  My mom doesn't drink and my dad may drink a 6 pack a week, but he never drives, not even after one.
So what is the big deal with people doing something that is LEGAL that you don't do?  That's what makes people diffrent, and gives you your own identity.
[quote author=Blackcat75 link=topic=20793.msg210937#msg210937 date=1142310220]
Also, i want you to know i'm just some punk rebel kid defending something i think "is the cool thing to do"
And i will be the first to admit i don't know everything, and i never will. I have grown up with a family that takes the occasional drink, but not laying out drunk all the time, and in my eyes, there is nothing wrong with that. But i was raised that when your old enough as long as your not getting drunk, and out driving, one or two beers is fine. And if my parents thought I was out getting drunk or drinking and driving they would kill me. My mom doesn't drink and my dad may drink a 6 pack a week, but he never drives, not even after one.
So what is the big deal with people doing something that is LEGAL that you don't do? That's what makes people diffrent, and gives you your own identity.
[/quote]

That last part sounds like you're trying to recruit kids for drugs or something like that.  You shouldn't tell kids things like that because they'll think "Hey, if I do drugs, I'll be different and it will give me my own identity."
[quote author=BFritz link=topic=20793.msg210974#msg210974 date=1142314454]
[quote author=Blackcat75 link=topic=20793.msg210937#msg210937 date=1142310220]
And i will be the first to admit i don't know everything, and i never will. I have grown up with a family that takes the occasional drink, but not laying out drunk all the time, and in my eyes, there is nothing wrong with that. But i was raised that when your old enough as long as your not getting drunk, and out driving, one or two beers is fine. And if my parents thought I was out getting drunk or drinking and driving they would kill me. My mom doesn't drink and my dad may drink a 6 pack a week, but he never drives, not even after one.
So what is the big deal with people doing something that is LEGAL that you don't do? That's what makes people diffrent, and gives you your own identity.
[/quote]

That last part sounds like you're trying to recruit kids for drugs or something like that.  You shouldn't tell kids things like that because they'll think "Hey, if I do drugs, I'll be different and it will give me my own identity."
[/quote]

I dont believe he was implying that at all....He was speaking in terms of drinking alcohol not taking drugs, and to say he was recruiting kids for drugs is ridiculous...

As far as marijuana goes, I'm going to say no way it should be legal at all...I think some people know how to do it responsibly and not get out and do ignorant things afterwords, but some people are just stupid about it, and let it lead to other things...If you can keep yourself under control with Marijuana then I wouldnt have much of a problem with it...

As far as alchohol goes, I get slayed quite a bit myself, and see nothing wrong with it...The way I see it if you work hard all week you deserve a step out of reality and need to kick back and have some fun...I dont 'need' it for fun, but it sure does help socialize thats for sure...I dont go anywhere when Im drinking though, and would take the keys away from anybody with me that wanted to drive after drinking...

I believe its all about maturity with both marijuna and alcohol and the fact is most people dont have the maturity level to do either and act like they have sense...
[quote author=corndog23 link=topic=20793.msg209892#msg209892 date=1142199416]
[quote author=Tomcat68 link=topic=20793.msg209884#msg209884 date=1142198895]
Not by a long shot. I've seen the things it can do to people and it's just not safe. I agree with corndog too that I don't want alcohol to be legal either.

[/quote]

Good point tomcat. They tried prohibition in the early 1900's and things got out of control! Alcohol just cannot be prohibited again, people would go wild like they did before. I wish it could be though.
[/quote]
Prohibition was our 18th Amendment, and it occurred in the early 20's. Also, it was never entirely illegal. You could obtain alcohol two different ways back in the days of Prohibition: one, you could find a boot-legger, i.e. Al Capone and the Chicago Pipeline, or, two, you could obtain a prescription for medicinal use. Believe it or not, alcohol does have a medicinal value, it has been prescribed for ailments ranging from snake bite to disease control, thus Prohibition could have never been anything more than temporary. But, back on the topic of the legalization of Marijuana, I will vote no. Many people bring up the argument that it could single-handedly bring us out of a defecit... yeah, it could, if it wasn't nearly impossible to tax. Like it or not, Alcohol and tobacco can be taxed, so they'll be around for a long time. If there ever was a way to tax it, I wouldn't care. As long as there was a device, such as a Breathalyzer, to evaluate someone as "under the influence". Still yet, I never see it happening. As far as my personal experiences with the drug, I've never tried it, nor will I.