Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 State Tourney
I'm hearing its moving from NKU to either Lexington, Pikeville or back to Bowling Green?
Hard to believe they would consider Pikeville. Way out of pocket for almost everyone in the state except for those local schools
Play it in Memorial Coliseum! Centrally located, nice facility, plenty of things to do and many places to stay!
NKU was top notch. I hope they keep it there.
Memorial would be a good option I think. NKU is top notch, but is a far cry from centrally located for Western KY folks. SURELY they won't consider Pikeville, that's hard to even imagine being an option. :yikes:
No way for Pikeville. Not enough places to stay. I really like WKU but that's just me.
I hope that whoever considered Pikeville for hosting the state tournament does not have to make any important decisions in the near future. That makes me want to laugh in their face. Sorry! I'm not really sure why that has offensed me so much bc I am from Pikeville. But for that to even be mentioned as a possibility is absured, even with all of the new hotels we have.
Rupp is wanting to play the boy's and girls together just like the All A does. Which I like that idea.. The Expo is putting in a Bid for it as is Bowling Green. I heard NKU doesn't have enough sponsorship. NKU has a top notch facility. I was impressed!!
Creeker Wrote:Memorial would be a good option I think. NKU is top notch, but is a far cry from centrally located for Western KY folks. SURELY they won't consider Pikeville, that's hard to even imagine being an option. :yikes:

I agree about Memorial. As far as NKU goes, what's an hour longer drive for the teams from the west. Pikeville would be a complete catastrophe, lol
^ True, I guess it's just the name... Northern KY that makes it sound so much farther away. lol
I certainly enjoyed Northern Kentucky more than Western. Memorial Coliseum would be a great fit! Pikeville on the other hand is laughable.
It needs to be in Memorial it is a central location for the state tournament. Its not a big travel distance for alot of regions to travel to Lexington. Memorial is a good place to have it at
They are trying to move up the dates so it doesn't interfere with the NCAA tourney's. Possibly the week that UK is gone to the SEC tourney. If they can do that, they could do the boys and girls at Rupp at the same time if they can schedule around the last week of the season for UK games. Memorial would be great too, but the UK women are usually hosting games at that time as well. Lot of scheduling to think about and work out, but hopefully they can get it done and keep it all in Lexington where it belongs.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:They are trying to move up the dates so it doesn't interfere with the NCAA tourney's. Possibly the week that UK is gone to the SEC tourney. If they can do that, they could do the boys and girls at Rupp at the same time if they can schedule around the last week of the season for UK games. Memorial would be great too, but the UK women are usually hosting games at that time as well. Lot of scheduling to think about and work out, but hopefully they can get it done and keep it all in Lexington where it belongs.
Julian Tackett said he/they were satisfied with the girls state tournament dates now. The boys state tournament date is what is interfering with the NCAA tournament. The championship game was played on Sunday at the same time Louisville and Kentucky men were playing. Hard for a boys tourney to compete with that.
This is why they would be great together at Rupp during the week the girls is scheduled for. Get it away from conflicting with UK men playing in tourney.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:This is why they would be great together at Rupp during the week the girls is scheduled for. Get it away from conflicting with UK men playing in tourney.

I really think this is a great idea. Attendance would def be better and be nice to see girls get to play in Rupp. Win Win for everyone I think
the All A can do it, they should be able to do it at Rupp too!
Julian Tackett is talking about moving the boys sweet 16 up a week earlier than the girls.
Frankfort Civic Center is also an option.
The state tournaments are rotated each year folks. Next year the boys will play first.
Sounds like they will be played together!!
Paparazzi Wrote:The state tournaments are rotated each year folks. Next year the boys will play first.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo.../99448152/
Sports72 Wrote:Sounds like they will be played together!!

Not correct, girls has been played first for something like the last 10-12 years!
Paparazzi Wrote:The state tournaments are rotated each year folks. Next year the boys will play first.

Not correct, the girls has been played first for something like the last 10-12 years!!
Sports72 Wrote:Sounds like they will be played together!!

What about this all in Rupp???

Monday- 8 girls games starting at 8:30, play straight through or empty the gym after the first 4 games
Tuesday- 8 boys games, same format as Monday for girls
Wednesday- 4 girls games on the same schedule we have now, 12:00-1:30
clear the gym, the 6:30-8:00
Thursday- 4 boys games, same format as Wednesday for girls
Friday- girls semi-finals at 12:00-1:30, Boys semi-finals at 6:30-8:00
Saturday - Girls championship at 2:00, clear the gym, boys championship at 7:00

What does everyone think??
Coachinthestands Wrote:What about this all in Rupp???

Monday- 8 girls games starting at 8:30, play straight through or empty the gym after the first 4 games
Tuesday- 8 boys games, same format as Monday for girls
Wednesday- 4 girls games on the same schedule we have now, 12:00-1:30
clear the gym, the 6:30-8:00
Thursday- 4 boys games, same format as Wednesday for girls
Friday- girls semi-finals at 12:00-1:30, Boys semi-finals at 6:30-8:00
Saturday - Girls championship at 2:00, clear the gym, boys championship at 7:00

What does everyone think??

8 games in one day, in the same gym. Not going to happen. They would have to start the first game by no later than 8 in the morning just to get them all completed by midnight. Heck they wouldn't even be done by midnight.
Redneck Wrote:8 games in one day, in the same gym. Not going to happen. They would have to start the first game by no later than 8 in the morning just to get them all completed by midnight. Heck they wouldn't even be done by midnight.

All A tournament does it every year, starts at 8:30, last game will probably finish late but that's why all the winners get a day off the next day!!
Coachinthestands Wrote:All A tournament does it every year, starts at 8:30, last game will probably finish late but that's why all the winners get a day off the next day!!

It wasn't like that when I played in the All "A" in '03 or 4 years later when my little sister played in it. 4 games on Wed, 4 games on Thur, 4 games on Fri, 2 on Sat, Championship on Sunday. The Sweet Sixteen was a the same format except they use to play the Semi's on Saturday morning and the Championship on Saturday night.
Redneck Wrote:It wasn't like that when I played in the All "A" in '03 or 4 years later when my little sister played in it. 4 games on Wed, 4 games on Thur, 4 games on Fri, 2 on Sat, Championship on Sunday. The Sweet Sixteen was a the same format except they use to play the Semi's on Saturday morning and the Championship on Saturday night.

That's the way they play the All A now, start at 8:30 on Wednesday, then 10:00, 11:30 and 1:00, clear the gym, come back at 5:00, 6:30, 8:00, 9:30, same schedule with the boys on Thursday, might be interesting to try it for a year and see how it goes, would REALLY make it an EVENT for the 2 state tournaments, plus the KHSAA would be cutting their arena rent to 6 days instead of 10!!
Coachinthestands Wrote:That's the way they play the All A now, start at 8:30 on Wednesday, then 10:00, 11:30 and 1:00, clear the gym, come back at 5:00, 6:30, 8:00, 9:30, same schedule with the boys on Thursday, might be interesting to try it for a year and see how it goes, would REALLY make it an EVENT for the 2 state tournaments, plus the KHSAA would be cutting their arena rent to 6 days instead of 10!!
IF they were to try this, I think they would benefit by rotating between the boys and girls games. Game 1-Girls, Gane 2-Boys, Game 3-Girls etc etc. I think the attendance wouldn't be much better if they did it like that.