Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is 58th so down
Three of bottom five teams in Region Standings going into Districts Tournaments. Are kids not playing, is this just a cycle of talent being down?
The bottom 3 in the 58th has a combined record of 26 w and 60 L. Of those 26 wins only 4 didn't come within the 58th beating each other or a school named Phelps, Piarist, Jenkins, June Buchanan or Riverside Christian whose combined record is 27 w and 112 L. A big reason is coaching (lack of) which is a direct result of kids leaving for other schools outside Floyd County or just not playing at all.

Adams Middle School just won the middle school state tournament. And from what I've heard and read only 2 of their games were close. They won the championship by 20+. And if things don't change at Pburg only 3 of those kids will be attending and those 3 contributed very little.
Those schools mentioned above are about the only true Class A schools left in the 14th & 15th Region. Looks like they aren't compete well against schools of like size or larger. Of course I didn't include Painstville or Pikeville for an obvious reason
UpYours Wrote:The bottom 3 in the 58th has a combined record of 26 w and 60 L. Of those 26 wins only 4 didn't come within the 58th beating each other or a school named Phelps, Piarist, Jenkins, June Buchanan or Riverside Christian whose combined record is 27 w and 112 L. A big reason is coaching (lack of) which is a direct result of kids leaving for other schools outside Floyd County or just not playing at all.

Adams Middle School just won the middle school state tournament. And from what I've heard and read only 2 of their games were close. They won the championship by 20+. And if things don't change at Pburg only 3 of those kids will be attending and those 3 contributed very little.

Yes Adams did great and have a lot to be proud of. Winning the KBA tournament is impressive. However, when they get to the high school level they will be playing against different kids. How would they do against a Martin county team with James, a Johnson county team with May, or a Lawrence Co team with Wellman and Maynard. All of these middle school kids are playing at the high school level and doing extremely well. I'm not saying they would or would t do well. I'm legitimately asking for peoples thoughts on it.
Betsy Layne was hit hard with transfer's and graduation. They have a relatively young team, excited to see what Coach Keathley has in store for the kids in the future!

Also remember when these teams get in high school, Betsy Layne and Stumbo kids will be playing together.
Transfers can set a program back when several leave at one time. Sometimes it's not for what they think as greener pastures but other circumstances. Small schools take a few years to get over that. Allen central and South Floyd will also be playing together and they have good players coming also. I hope that Prestonsburg stays together and that they will do well in high school there. I'd like to see the 58th be strong again and with Lawrence County as a new addition it should be.
58 is fine players leaving her the 58
We have talent in the 58th, but we cant seem to keep it in the 58th for some reason.. Like was mentioned Adams middle just walked through the state tourney. Beat the defending champion by 20+ but odds are that we wont get them as high school players:HitWall:
I know they are just middle school but that's were high school talent starts..These kids are good and they just may be great high school players but if we cant keep them home then it wont matter..Dont get me wrong I wish those kids the very best were ever they go I just wish that we had the programs to keep them here..
Most schools in the 58th are relatively small in all honesty. It takes a long time to build a decent program and then with just a few transfers or a few years with a sub par coach and its destroyed.
Pburg's program is in shambles and its not the players faults. Kids are avoiding it at all costs. Its just a bad situation that needs corrected. Heck look, most of our Pburg based guys o this forum are so disgusted they don't even post much anymore which is a shame.