Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williamsburg 2017
Jackets are probably another year away from being able to contend in the East, but should be a tough out and a favorite in the district. Does anyone know what the schedule looks like? I'd imagine Ludlow and Lexington Christian will be gone, but hope that Somerset, Middlesboro, Leslie County, and Paintsville stay on the schedule.
I like there chances. They return a ton. Dangerous team next season.
The jackets lost really only 2 players. WR/DB and a really good kicker.
They were a little undersized up front last year. Need to get bigger to compete with Hazard and Pikeville.
I disagree, size is the most overrated attribute for a high school lineman. If the kid is athletic and gives maximum effort, he can slant into the gaps and get great penetration.
You didn't see Hazard run over top of them
They Graduate a lot but Will still be Good!! Good Luck!!
Any truth to the rumor of the head coach leaving for a job on Cumberlands staff.
RPO Wrote:Any truth to the rumor of the head coach leaving for a job on Cumberlands staff.

no Herron is Staying . We are Hearing Chapell's name for a Staff job at Cumberland. He has a connection to the head coach .
That would be surprising. Don't think the college would offer a huge pay raise to be an assistant. Can't imagine Herron would get out of the teacher retirement system at this point of his career.
dodger Wrote:That would be surprising. Don't think the college would offer a huge pay raise to be an assistant. Can't imagine Herron would get out of the teacher retirement system at this point of his career.

he has a loaded team back and could be very good but must get by a Pikeville or Hazard 2nd round of the playoffs.
Sounds like somebody getting his paddle out and stirring. Coach Herron is very happy where he is at. New poster. 6 total posts.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I disagree, size is the most overrated attribute for a high school lineman. If the kid is athletic and gives maximum effort, he can slant into the gaps and get great penetration.
size is something that you can argue with, that size not being a deal breaker but the Orange Jackets DO need to get stronger and faster. Herron knows how to get them stronger but speed will be an obstacle they will have to try to overcome. They are still some walking the halls that may could help if they come back out? I've heard that a few are coming back out and lifting w/ the team now?
baller1989 Wrote:size is something that you can argue with, that size not being a deal breaker but the Orange Jackets DO need to get stronger and faster. Herron knows how to get them stronger but speed will be an obstacle they will have to try to overcome. They are still some walking the halls that may could help if they come back out? I've heard that a few are coming back out and lifting w/ the team now?

Would like to see Jacob Harrison return, the Oline and Dline would be much better...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Would like to see Jacob Harrison return, the Oline and Dline would be much better...

Jacob Harrison would be a big time lineman for sure in 1A. :Cheerlead
RPO Wrote:Any truth to the rumor of the head coach leaving for a job on Cumberlands staff.
not true.... Herron will remain there for a couple of more years to get his retirement taken care of for sure.., but wouldn't surprise me if he left after that to try something bigger and better... he is an outstanding line coach and I wouldn't be surprised that he wants to see what he can do at some other place.
Anyone with an idea of what the schedule looks like?
why isn't he playing? I thought he played? He's a big kid when I mentioned kids coming BACK out and lifting with the team, his name wasn't one that I heard.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I disagree, size is the most overrated attribute for a high school lineman. If the kid is athletic and gives maximum effort, he can slant into the gaps and get great penetration.

I like strength and quickness over size.
Wrangler Wrote:no Herron is Staying . We are Hearing Chapell's name for a Staff job at Cumberland. He has a connection to the head coach .

We?
baller1989 Wrote:not true.... Herron will remain there for a couple of more years to get his retirement taken care of for sure.., but wouldn't surprise me if he left after that to try something bigger and better... he is an outstanding line coach and I wouldn't be surprised that he wants to see what he can do at some other place.

Maybe he will join the Whitley County staff :biggrin:
Only 105 boys in the high school. Most kids who can play are. There are a couple who could help but not many big kids running the halls.
pjdoug Wrote:We?
i find it hard to believe that Chappell would leave the Colonels. He's working on the program out there and the way I understand is that alumni are pretty pleased with him, but this is a Williamsburg post, so we will keep it with the Jackets.
E's Army Wrote:Only 105 boys in the high school. Most kids who can play are. There are a couple who could help but not many big kids running the halls.
yeah, from what I understand, the Burg does about as good as anyone for getting as many out and as much out of the kids that they can
pjdoug Wrote:Maybe he will join the Whitley County staff :biggrin:
I would be shocked if that ever happen... when I say bigger and better, I'm saying away from here and possibly at the college level
From what I heard from a football parent, the 2017 schedule should look something like this:

Jellico (A)
Somerset (H)
Leslie County (H)
Frankfort (H)
Paintsville (A)
Ludlow (A)
Harlan (A)
Pineville (H)
Lynn Camp (H)
Middlesboro (A)

I'd imagine that WHS would be a solid favorite in at least 6 of those games. A slight favorite versus Frankfort, toss-ups versus Leslie and Somerset, and an underdog at Paintsville.
dodger Wrote:From what I heard from a football parent, the 2017 schedule should look something like this:

Jellico (A)
Somerset (H)
Leslie County (H)
Frankfort (H)
Paintsville (A)
Ludlow (A)
Harlan (A)
Pineville (H)
Lynn Camp (H)
Middlesboro (A)

I'd imagine that WHS would be a solid favorite in at least 6 of those games. A slight favorite versus Frankfort, toss-ups versus Leslie and Somerset, and an underdog at Paintsville.

I see 7 or 8 wins, decent schedule that should have the ready for the post season...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:I see 7 or 8 wins, decent schedule that should have the ready for the post season...
What is coming back for Leslie, Somerset and Paintsville?
7-3 with losses to Somerset, Leslie Co, and Paintsville. I do however think best case scenario is 9-1 with the only loss to Paintsville.
Have a lot of love for Williamsburg but until realignment happens it's gonna be a struggle making it out of their region. Having Hazard and Pikeville is brutal. Especially knowing Hazard returns their stud back next year.