Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottie Russell has resigned as head football coach at Knox Central
Trashtalker Wrote:Hard to believe Fred Hoskins doesn't have a shot at this job.... Bell County better call Scottie right now
No experience, if they are looking for an assistant I would think that the Napier guy would be first choice. I believe he is a local guy!
Or the Burchette guy would be hired before Hoskins.
Was told by Mr. Gambrel that they will keep Coach McCreary for one more year!
Bobcat4years Wrote:Was told by Mr. Gambrel that they will keep Coach McCreary for one more year!

Bell County football is over then.
Bobcat4years Wrote:No experience, if they are looking for an assistant I would think that the Napier guy would be first choice. I believe he is a local guy!

Napier is a good assistant but not a good head coach. Burchette I don't think would be interested in the job. One thing they don't need to hire a local they need someone who has no ties here. One who will play the best player at any position not just play them because of who their parents is or how much money they have. A coach who will stand up to these people who want to be in charge but have to clue about football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Bobcat4years Wrote:No experience, if they are looking for an assistant I would think that the Napier guy would be first choice. I believe he is a local guy!

Why does he have to have experience, you didn't when we hired you. Are you guys not friends?
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:Bell County football is over then.

send your best players to Whitley County :biggrin:
panther nation Wrote:Napier is a good assistant but not a good head coach. Burchette I don't think would be interested in the job. One thing they don't need to hire a local they need someone who has no ties here. One who will play the best player at any position not just play them because of who their parents is or how much money they have. A coach who will stand up to these people who want to be in charge but have to clue about football.

well said.
Best wishes to Coach Russell. He is great coach and did a good job! He did not back down from anyone!
Any ideas where Russell might end up?
Yeah maybe join Corbin staff or Harlan county
I was told that Phill Russell has contacted about the job and is a good candidate for it. Wish him the best if he is.
Saw Fred Hoskins asking for games for Knox on list serve... For whatever that's worth..
WarriorProud Wrote:I was told that Phill Russell has contacted about the job and is a good candidate for it. Wish him the best if he is.

If that's the case they should have kept Russell. Not an improvement. You don't get rid of a coach like Russell and get a guy that's barely won a game.
I enjoyed reading all this. I have put 2 sons through this program. Codi Diamond who was pretty good by most standards (scholarship to Carson Newman) and Casey Diamond who has dominated at DE for 2 years after starting as a QB as a Freshmen. My perspective is simple.

Scotty is a great guy with a bigT heart. His offense was not effective and often the team lacked discipline. I have no inside knowledge but those things may have been the reason he was pressured or chose to resign. I like him personally and wish him the very best.

I don't agree with the harsh criticism of our AD Jeff Canady. He has only one agenda and that is to see KC sports be the best. Academics, culture, and yes - wins - are part of that. I coached his All World son, Jeffrey Canady for many years and never had a negative word from him. If he made this move it was to move the program forward. If Scotty resigned on his own volition it was a choice he made period.

As for the new coach - I dont have a dog in that fight. My sons are done. But if I was polled I would suggest a Corbin like coach. Someone who can install an offense that is modern and unpredictable without losing the hard nosed defense we are known for.

As an ex-parent this is likely one of my last posts. So sorry to see it end like this. My son's senior season was a huge bust. But he learned alot in the process. So be it. Enjoy BGR.
Dave Diamond
Pound High School Class of '89
Union College Class of '93
U.S. Army Class of '97

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Galations 2:20
WarriorProud Wrote:I was told that Phill Russell has contacted about the job and is a good candidate for it. Wish him the best if he is.

He has a losing record and fired as Lynn Camp coach? doesn't seem like a good candidate.
pjdoug Wrote:He has a losing record and fired as Lynn Camp coach? doesn't seem like a good candidate.

Not sure of him or anybody else being interested, but this record thing is overblown in regards to many of these jobs.

There are four head coaches that I know of for sure coaching in the finals this weekend who either had losing records before coming to their current school and/or who have had more losing seasons than winning ones.

Knox Central isn't a job, IMO, that is going to draw a current HC in a great situation to leave. That's ok. Most jobs out there are in that same category.

Kevin Wallace was almost 20 games below .500 as the HC at Warren East over a 10 year span, having never won a playoff game in that time and also never had one winning season in that duration either. What he's been able to do at BG the last 20 years speaks for itself.

Ty Scroggins was some 10 games below .500 as the HC at Doss before landing the Central job. I also don't think he'd ever won a playoff game.

Doug Person at Franklin-Simpson, who is a DANG good coach, has only had 6 winning seasons out of his 14 as a head coach. Before coming to Franklin-Simpson, he'd only had TWO winning seasons in his 9 years as a HC at Paris, Rowan County, Lou. Western and Bullitt East (one of those two winning seasons was his first year as the HC at Bullitt East in 2008 when they lost out on the 4A title to Bell County by two yards).

Johnny Hines at Pulaski County had a losing record at Barren County before heading back to Pulaski County as an assistant coach in the mid 90's and then ultimately taking over in 99-00 (right in there). He's also had FIVE seasons of 3 wins or less as the HC at Pulaski County.

Moral of the story? There are a BOATLOAD of coaches out there who have struggled at some point(s) in there careers...some short...some long...some on multiple occurrences.

I think Knox is fine job, but IMO, it's not one that you are going to get many to leave their current situations for that are setting the world on fire.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Not sure of him or anybody else being interested, but this record thing is overblown in regards to many of these jobs.

There are four head coaches that I know of for sure coaching in the finals this weekend who either had losing records before coming to their current school and/or who have had more losing seasons than winning ones.

Knox Central isn't a job, IMO, that is going to draw a current HC in a great situation to leave. That's ok. Most jobs out there are in that same category.

Kevin Wallace was almost 20 games below .500 as the HC at Warren East over a 10 year span, having never won a playoff game in that time and also never had one winning season in that duration either. What he's been able to do at BG the last 20 years speaks for itself.

Ty Scroggins was some 10 games below .500 as the HC at Doss before landing the Central job. I also don't think he'd ever won a playoff game.

Doug Person at Franklin-Simpson, who is a DANG good coach, has only had 6 winning seasons out of his 14 as a head coach. Before coming to Franklin-Simpson, he'd only had TWO winning seasons in his 9 years as a HC at Paris, Rowan County, Lou. Western and Bullitt East (one of those two winning seasons was his first year as the HC at Bullitt East in 2008 when they lost out on the 4A title to Bell County by two yards).

Johnny Hines at Pulaski County had a losing record at Barren County before heading back to Pulaski County as an assistant coach in the mid 90's and then ultimately taking over in 99-00 (right in there). He's also had FIVE seasons of 3 wins or less as the HC at Pulaski County.

Moral of the story? There are a BOATLOAD of coaches out there who have struggled at some point(s) in there careers...some short...some long...some on multiple occurrences.

I think Knox is fine job, but IMO, it's not one that you are going to get many to leave their current situations for that are setting the world on fire.
You should have concentrated more on the Lynn Camp part.
Football1 Wrote:I enjoyed reading all this. I have put 2 sons through this program. Codi Diamond who was pretty good by most standards (scholarship to Carson Newman) and Casey Diamond who has dominated at DE for 2 years after starting as a QB as a Freshmen. My perspective is simple.

Scotty is a great guy with a bigT heart. His offense was not effective and often the team lacked discipline. I have no inside knowledge but those things may have been the reason he was pressured or chose to resign. I like him personally and wish him the very best.

I don't agree with the harsh criticism of our AD Jeff Canady. He has only one agenda and that is to see KC sports be the best. Academics, culture, and yes - wins - are part of that. I coached his All World son, Jeffrey Canady for many years and never had a negative word from him. If he made this move it was to move the program forward. If Scotty resigned on his own volition it was a choice he made period.

As for the new coach - I dont have a dog in that fight. My sons are done. But if I was polled I would suggest a Corbin like coach. Someone who can install an offense that is modern and unpredictable without losing the hard nosed defense we are known for.

As an ex-parent this is likely one of my last posts. So sorry to see it end like this. My son's senior season was a huge bust. But he learned alot in the process. So be it. Enjoy BGR.

Great post. As to the bolded, I don't know if "modern" or bust is whole heartedly the way to go. It could be, who knows....it all; when executed..wins. Knox Central, as you know, has had a ton of success being who they are. Without knowing the details of what they do offensively, I do know that many look at old school schemes and don't see them as creative because...well...they aren't (no passing game, no misdirection, no trickery, etc).

But, they can be just that and then some...hell, even deadly (ever seen a good wishbone and/or wing t team with a boat load of screens, reverses, etc? Damn fun. Those things w/ a go for broke Play Action Passing game...and, not just on 3rd down...is as fun as anything ever ran on a football field).

Franklin-Simpson (Wing T and then they have an I and Power I package), Johnson Central (Bone + broken bone + spread package), Belfry (their own monster lol), even Central (their base is out of the w/ both 20 and 21, even 22 personnel looks) are all proof that old school is alive and well in KY (almost Scott County, yet again, in the biggest classification in 6A and their Wing T attack).

Best of luck to the Panthers!!
pjdoug Wrote:You should have concentrated more on the Lynn Camp part.

Why? Because I'm speaking merely on facts? Those are what I listed, and those are just a few coaches out there.....it just so happens these few coaches are also coaching for all the marbles this weekend (all of them multiple times).

Now, if that means that I'm missing something about Lynn Camp, then you'd have to PM me....b/c I have no knowledge.
*Doug PRESTON at Franklin-Simpson (not PERSON)
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Great post. As to the bolded, I don't know if "modern" or bust is whole heartedly the way to go. It could be, who knows....it all; when executed..wins. Knox Central, as you know, has had a ton of success being who they are. Without knowing the details of what they do offensively, I do know that many look at old school schemes and don't see them as creative because...well...they aren't (no passing game, no misdirection, no trickery, etc).

But, they can be just that and then some...hell, even deadly (ever seen a good wishbone and/or wing t team with a boat load of screens, reverses, etc? Damn fun. Those things w/ a go for broke Play Action Passing game...and, not just on 3rd down...is as fun as anything ever ran on a football field).

Franklin-Simpson (Wing T and then they have an I and Power I package), Johnson Central (Bone + broken bone + spread package), Belfry (their own monster lol), even Central (their base is out of the w/ both 20 and 21, even 22 personnel looks) are all proof that old school is alive and well in KY (almost Scott County, yet again, in the biggest classification in 6A and their Wing T attack).

Best of luck to the Panthers!!
I agree with your post. Still, most teams just don't have the muscle to beat 9 in the box with a power running game. Even 8 in the box. You have to have an offense that responds to the defense. Play action should be central to that.
Dave Diamond
Pound High School Class of '89
Union College Class of '93
U.S. Army Class of '97

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Galations 2:20
Football1 Wrote:I agree with your post. Still, most teams just don't have the muscle to beat 9 in the box with a power running game. Even 8 in the box. You have to have an offense that responds to the defense. Play action should be central to that.

Absolutely, you have to do things to get people out of there if you can't just muscle up. Screens/play action, 3 step, etc.
Fans are so hung up on types of offense, every offense has play action, screens, and any RPO you want to install. The key is to match your offense to personnel, and actually use all of the offense needed. Just my thoughts.
Absolutely groundbreaking! hey NextGeneration come coach us at Bell you have solved every problem any offense has ever had! Pick offensive plays you think will work and use all of em and run them with your best players!
redrocket Wrote:Absolutely groundbreaking! hey NextGeneration come coach us at Bell you have solved every problem any offense has ever had! Pick offensive plays you think will work and use all of em and run them with your best players!

Im just jerkin ur chain! I know what you mean. Confusednicker:
NextGeneration Wrote:Fans are so hung up on types of offense, every offense has play action, screens, and any RPO you want to install. The key is to match your offense to personnel, and actually use all of the offense needed. Just my thoughts.

The key is to recruit players to match your offense Confusednicker:
anything been told or heard for sure on the coaching search
hchs fan Wrote:anything been told or heard for sure on the coaching search

likely classified information lol
Really hope Knox finds a good coach and keeps moving forward. Had an uncle that was on the staff several years who had nothing but great things to say about the program.
yeah PJ Doug and well heard that coach Russell done good things and was great coach with the program