Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
93.10%
Lexington Tates Creek
6.90%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Tates Creek (PCB) 8/26
Can someone Set the expected starting lineups for Belfry this coming Friday? Who has been seeing time at 1st string corner with Woolum out? Who has been playing LB?

Not saying it will be the case, but if the ILB opposite Wellman struggles early on, what are the chances Haywood would consider moving Catron there? Especially against spread teams? I am assuming Browning or some other kids could step in adequately at Safety.
Belfry will be working the kinks out early, and Tates Creek keeps it close for 3 quarters. Pirates pull away in the 4th on their quest for 4.

Good luck on the season Pirates!!!

Belfry 38
Tates Creek 20
This is quite possibly the best team Belfry has ever had, I don't expect them to have a lot of problems with Tates Creek. Belfry 42 Tates Creek 6
PaytoPlay Wrote:Can someone Set the expected starting lineups for Belfry this coming Friday? Who has been seeing time at 1st string corner with Woolum out? Who has been playing LB?

Not saying it will be the case, but if the ILB opposite Wellman struggles early on, what are the chances Haywood would consider moving Catron there? Especially against spread teams? I am assuming Browning or some other kids could step in adequately at Safety.

Depends on injuries and who is ready to go or not

Dotson, Wellman, Woolum, and Hall all were held out again last Thursday.

1st String Corner they have been using Taveon a lot.He appears to be Woolum's replacement.

Fields has been running as the #1 at LB for the position opposite Wellman. Randall West, John Ashurst, and even Barker have also seen meaningful reps. Fields definitely seems to be the front runner but he has had some struggles this pre-season against some of these spread teams. Getting Derek back will be huge because it could completely change the way the Defense plays, you are talking about a kid who IMHO is the best LB'er in EKY.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Depends on injuries and who is ready to go or not

Dotson, Wellman, Woolum, and Hall all were held out again last Thursday.

1st String Corner they have been using Taveon a lot.He appears to be Woolum's replacement.

Fields has been running as the #1 at LB for the position opposite Wellman. Randall West, John Ashurst, and even Barker have also seen meaningful reps. Fields definitely seems to be the front runner but he has had some struggles this pre-season against some of these spread teams. Getting Derek back will be huge because it could completely change the way the Defense plays, you are talking about a kid who IMHO is the best LB'er in EKY.

Fields is the likely choice. Very good against the run...but his overall lack of quickness makes him a liability at times. Ashurst has the best speed of those mentioned...but lacks in size. West is lanky and very physical. IMO, Barker is an intriguing option. He's really bulked up....and didn't lose any speed to mention. He's just been used to playing with a hand in the turf. Whether or not he has the instincts at this point...only time will tell. Definitely a good athlete. I still say there's enough talent on the front line to hide a deficiency or two at the LB spot....but.....they will definitely need to improve as we get closer to playoff time. I think there may be someone else in the shadows that could be moved to LB and do well. But these kids will be given first crack I believe.
Thanks for the info guys. What I remembered about Fields was that he was more of a run stuffing type body. MOST of the teams Belfry will play will try to spread us out. It would be interesting to see if Haywood tries to work a smaller/quicker guy in at ILB some sort of like he did Catron when Cam was a Frosh.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Thanks for the info guys. What I remembered about Fields was that he was more of a run stuffing type body. MOST of the teams Belfry will play will try to spread us out. It would be interesting to see if Haywood tries to work a smaller/quicker guy in at ILB some sort of like he did Catron when Cam was a Frosh.

Once again I have to think Wellman and Hall are your best answers when they get healthy. Hall is a very good DE/LB hybrid especially dropping back in coverage. Wellman's sideline to sideline quickness and his instincts make him a great asset against spread teams like a Tates Creek who use short passes as essentially their running game.

I expect Haywood to mix packages, but the best help against the spread are going to be getting back the guys who already know how to play against it more than just subbing one green LB'er with another green LB'er.
^ Hall just hasn't played inside to my knowledge. Right?

OLB - Hall
OLB - ?
ILB - Wellman
ILB - Fields

Who is playing Dotson's spot? Dove?
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Hall just hasn't played inside to my knowledge. Right?

OLB - Hall
OLB - ?
ILB - Wellman
ILB - Fields

Who is playing Dotson's spot? Dove?

Cook and Jessie at the other DE.. both have looked pretty solid
Tates Creek will be a good early test for the Pirates. Tates Creek has some playmakers on the outside and could potentially give the Pirates some trouble in the early going. With that being said, Belfry will be Belfry. They are going to pound and pound you, until they eventually wear you down. I think this team has the potential to be one of Belfry's best teams and it all starts with that dominate offensive line. In the end, Belfry will be too much for Tates Creek. Belfry wins 35-14.
EKUAlum05 He is but hes not were the other city schools are yet. Thats why I say 52-13. I know they put up 20 on Scott County But the long bus ride into a hornets nest is not good
Come on PCB Board.... I would (consider) missing my beloved Golden Eagles play to come watch Belfry vs. any of the following......

St. Xavier, Trinity, Highlands, Male or Mayfield.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Come on PCB Board.... I would (consider) missing my beloved Golden Eagles play to come watch Belfry vs. any of the following......

I talked to one of the PCB Board members the other day and he said we had Huningtion High next year in the PCB another big school out of WV.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Come on PCB Board.... I would (consider) missing my beloved Golden Eagles play to come watch Belfry vs. any of the following......

Belfry has played both Highlands and Male in the PCB in the past. Defeated Highlands 38-7 (I believe), and lost to Male 7-6.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Belfry has played both Highlands and Male in the PCB in the past. Defeated Highlands 38-7 (I believe), and lost to Male 7-6.

What year was that???
Pulp Fiction Wrote:What year was that???

1990 defeated Highlands 38-7 in the Pike County Bowl

1997 lost to Male 7-0 in the Pike County Bowl
A little trivia

Q:What team has Belfry faced the most in the Pike County Bowl?
A: Harrison County

The Pirates have met Harrison 5 times in the PCB (1986, 1995, 2001, 2011, and 2012)
Belfry is 5-0 in those meetings
2001 vs Harrison County is one of the first games I ever remember going to.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:What year was that???

EKUAlum05 Wrote:1990 defeated Highlands 38-7 in the Pike County Bowl

What are the odds of having a Belfry vs. Central (Louisville) PCB match-up?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1990 defeated Highlands 38-7 in the Pike County Bowl

Thanks for the correction. I had 7-6 in my mind. But that was a loss to Campbell County the next year.
Why would Belfry play central in the PCB. If they want to play Belfry let them win the west and play us in the state championship.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:What are the odds of having a Belfry vs. Central (Louisville) PCB match-up?

As long as they are in the same class? Slim to None. Haywood hates playing teams he may see again in the playoffs

If they were to ever go to a different classification and Scroggins remains the Head Coach? I could see it happening. Scroggins and Haywood have a lot of mutual respect for each other.
It has been told before that Scroggins has expressed a specific interest in coming to Belfry to play in the PCB sometime for his kids to have a different cultural experience and for the respect he has for the Belfry program and Coach Haywood. I believe the trip to JC in 07 was the last time the Jackets were in the mountains. I know they went to Corbin a couple of years ago, but that is not really the mountains.
Belfry0304 Wrote:2001 vs Harrison County is one of the first games I ever remember going to.

I remember this one well myself. Somebody made a game saving interception. Hmmmmm. Lol
irishcard16 Wrote:I remember this one well myself. Somebody made a game saving interception. Hmmmmm. Lol

How'd they manage to throw an interception to a displaced offensive lineman?
Belfry0304 Wrote:How'd they manage to throw an interception to a displaced offensive lineman?

Good one. I'll give ya credit on that one.
bucslover68 Wrote:It has been told before that Scroggins has expressed a specific interest in coming to Belfry to play in the PCB sometime for his kids to have a different cultural experience and for the respect he has for the Belfry program and Coach Haywood. I believe the trip to JC in 07 was the last time the Jackets were in the mountains. I know they went to Corbin a couple of years ago, but that is not really the mountains.

I did a thread a few years back about the Power teams from Lex., Louisville, NKY and their lack of regular season games East of Lexington.

No doubt that Belfry vs. Central would be the biggest game in the state in Week 1.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I did a thread a few years back about the Power teams from Lex., Louisville, NKY and their lack of regular season games East of Lexington.

No doubt that Belfry vs. Central would be the biggest game in the state in Week 1.

This game is wishful thinking Coach Haywood would never play anybody that we could potentially play in the State Championship
Belfry 52
Tates Creek 22

Running clock in the 2nd half with the Belfry JV logging minutes.
I think this is close in the first half. Then in the 2nd half midway through the 3rd Belfry will use line play to start pulling away and go on to win by 17.