Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2016
Sometimes the well begins to run a little dry. So you have to conserve and take smaller drinks. Until the well gets some needed rain. It's called an adjustment. How many state titles has Highlands won playing their best players both ways? It's because the well wasn't very deep. Problem might not completely be solved. But you have to start somewhere.
BlueBirdWarrior Wrote:I attended the lineman challenge last year and watched every minute because my son was one of the five on Highland's A team. Highlands came in second because they lost the final event which was a winner take all tug-o-war, won by Woodford County. Woodford's players were huge.

There were individual and team events. A Highlands player won the individual events in: bench press, farmers' carry, and tire throw. A Highlands player did not win the tire roll or sled pulling events. Highlands won three of the four team events (obsticale course, truck push, and, sled push). They lost the tug-o-war at the end.

This really has no bearing on the 2016 team because four graduated and one went to another school.

Highlands had a football that can bench 500 pounds but I never noticed that strenght against SK.
That's what I mean. Give me players that are fairly strong. Athletic. Fundamentally sound. In great condition. With some quickness. When I say great condition. I mean never get tired. It can be accomplished. If I time a kid at 4.8 in a forty in August. I bet he still runs 4.8 in December. But can he run 60 twenty yard sprints after practice in full pads?
Size stature weight muscle mass has everything to do with playing football. While there are other intangibles such as hip movement flexibility speed. It all has to add up, if it didn't there would be a million five foot seven hundred fifty pound kids playing Division 1 college football, but there aren't and there's a reason. My point is it does make a difference you have to have the combination of size and speed not just speed period. It's not going to win you every game. You may be able to out scheme some teams but you're going to run into those saws that are flat-out just going to beat you physically. That's what happened to the 6a teams last year when you guys played them. You guys normally have enough athletes to compete with the 6a's and have done very well against them in the past. You didn't have them last year and like I said I don't know who's coming back or how hard they work but if your program is continuing the same Trend as the student-athletes that I seen last year it's going to be another rough year being that you're playing the same exact schedule. And I'm sure you'll do very well in the 5A playoffs but the regular season is going to be bruising to your egos. The thing that I found about most Highlands parents or I have a kid on the team so I'm extremely delusional. They won't admit to anything I will defend and deflect bring up the past till their death. We're talking about football and football players has nothing to do with little Johnny being on the football team. I hope your son got to go play college football and has moved on and he'll get to live his dreams. I want every kid who has that goal to be able to do so. But just wearing the Highlands uniform doesn't guarantee anything, you still have to work and from what I seen those kids did not work. If your 5'8" there's nothing you can do about that but you should be 5'8" and 185 or 190 pounds. If you are 5'8" and 145 pounds you didn't do anything. And you're not going to play football past the high school level and in fact you're going to be an average high school player nowadays. These kids are getting bigger and the days of the little small kid lining up and being able to do those things like when I played 25 years ago is not going to happen anymore. Most of these kids are college size in high school. Stop being so defensive that's why we have this board to talk. And if what you're saying was true you were record last year would have been better. And for the record while everybody can appreciate what Highlands is done in the past and for the record while everybody can appreciate what Highlands is done in the past, need to stop living in the past. I don't care if you have 150 championships it's about what you're going to do this season with the kids you have that are playing now. And I'm not trying to offend you your kid may have been one of the ones that put in the work and busted his behind to make the team better. It looked like a lot of them were living on The Laurels in the tales of kids that have been there before. Gotta let the Glory Days Go Al Bundy.
Very well put. Even with size you have to condition condition and condition. I mean run your ass off. They work on speed. How fast can you get from point A to point B. And it's usually a short distance. I say how MANY times can you do it? 5 times? Or 60 times? It doesn't matter what era it is.
Wow, had a hard time understanding that. Funny how you bash on the very program that you inquired about having your son join. If things are so good in Union, why you trying to get out?

I will leave it at that. Good luck to Highlands this year and to all of the NKY teams. Hopefully they can live up to the laurels that some fans(parents) place on them.

Fear the Nation Wrote:Size stature weight muscle mass has everything to do with playing football. While there are other intangibles such as hip movement flexibility speed. It all has to add up, if it didn't there would be a million five foot seven hundred fifty pound kids playing Division 1 college football, but there aren't and there's a reason. My point is it does make a difference you have to have the combination of size and speed not just speed period. It's not going to win you every game. You may be able to out scheme some teams but you're going to run into those saws that are flat-out just going to beat you physically. That's what happened to the 6a teams last year when you guys played them. You guys normally have enough athletes to compete with the 6a's and have done very well against them in the past. You didn't have them last year and like I said I don't know who's coming back or how hard they work but if your program is continuing the same Trend as the student-athletes that I seen last year it's going to be another rough year being that you're playing the same exact schedule. And I'm sure you'll do very well in the 5A playoffs but the regular season is going to be bruising to your egos. The thing that I found about most Highlands parents or I have a kid on the team so I'm extremely delusional. They won't admit to anything I will defend and deflect bring up the past till their death. We're talking about football and football players has nothing to do with little Johnny being on the football team. I hope your son got to go play college football and has moved on and he'll get to live his dreams. I want every kid who has that goal to be able to do so. But just wearing the Highlands uniform doesn't guarantee anything, you still have to work and from what I seen those kids did not work. If your 5'8" there's nothing you can do about that but you should be 5'8" and 185 or 190 pounds. If you are 5'8" and 145 pounds you didn't do anything. And you're not going to play football past the high school level and in fact you're going to be an average high school player nowadays. These kids are getting bigger and the days of the little small kid lining up and being able to do those things like when I played 25 years ago is not going to happen anymore. Most of these kids are college size in high school. Stop being so defensive that's why we have this board to talk. And if what you're saying was true you were record last year would have been better. And for the record while everybody can appreciate what Highlands is done in the past and for the record while everybody can appreciate what Highlands is done in the past, need to stop living in the past. I don't care if you have 150 championships it's about what you're going to do this season with the kids you have that are playing now. And I'm not trying to offend you your kid may have been one of the ones that put in the work and busted his behind to make the team better. It looked like a lot of them were living on The Laurels in the tales of kids that have been there before. Gotta let the Glory Days Go Al Bundy.
mantax Wrote:Wow, had a hard time understanding that. Funny how you bash on the very program that you inquired about having your son join. If things are so good in Union, why you trying to get out?

I will leave it at that. Good luck to Highlands this year and to all of the NKY teams. Hopefully they can live up to the laurels that some fans(parents) place on them.

My post was not intended to be boastful. I was just providing an account of what happened last year at the event. Based on the data, Highlands did well at the competition. Yet, as some have pointed out, it did not equate to success on Friday night.
Highlands should be better at the linebacker position this year.
BlueBirdWarrior Wrote:My post was not intended to be boastful. I was just providing an account of what happened last year at the event. Based on the data, Highlands did well at the competition. Yet, as some have pointed out, it did not equate to success on Friday night.

I was not sure who he was talking to, but about halfway through the diatribe I gave up.
mantax Wrote:Wow, had a hard time understanding that. Funny how you bash on the very program that you inquired about having your son join. If things are so good in Union, why you trying to get out?

My kid is a 5ft 8 185 pound 8th grader. Yes the thought crossed our mind and I explored some options. He's going to be a Raider next year and if we thought he could be in a better situation he would have moved. I want my kids to go to college, period. Don't care about anyone's feelings. He works hard so I'm good, considering he already has an NAIA offer as an 8th grader. Not bashing Highlands. You don't take criticism well. When in my post did I say Ryle was the mecca of football? Worry about those little kids. I got mine covered.
UK1fan Wrote:Wrong.

In '98 Highlands won 3A and beat Male who won 4A. I'm sure there are other years Highlands beat the eventual big school champ.
birdman44 Wrote:In '98 Highlands won 3A and beat Male who won 4A. I'm sure there are other years Highlands beat the eventual big school champ.

I just call it like I see it. I'm not a basher just a straight shooter. I'm just as critical of our program. Now that's out of the way. There have been years that HHS could have played with and beat almost anybody in the state and the country arguably. I remember watching them beat on a pretty good Ryle team a few years ago. They have had some really good years. Nothing is guaranteed on Friday nights. Gotta work hard mon - thurs to get back to those days. So what's changed in FT. Thomas. Down classes, the coaching change, kids not working as hard? Would appreciate honest opinions, Besides the chest beating.
Fear the Nation Wrote:I just call it like I see it. I'm not a basher just a straight shooter. I'm just as critical of our program. Now that's out of the way. There have been years that HHS could have played with and beat almost anybody in the state and the country arguably. I remember watching them beat on a pretty good Ryle team a few years ago. They have had some really good years. Nothing is guaranteed on Friday nights. Gotta work hard mon - thurs to get back to those days. So what's changed in FT. Thomas. Down classes, the coaching change, kids not working as hard? Would appreciate honest opinions, Besides the chest beating.

That could be done if and only if people can act like adults, unfortunately that does not happen. I have plenty to add to the conversation, but do not feel like dealing with the resident idiot who always wants to chime in with childish comments. You really want honest answers and to have a good adult conversation PM me and I will see if I can enlighten you at all.
Fear the Nation Wrote:I just call it like I see it. I'm not a basher just a straight shooter. I'm just as critical of our program. Now that's out of the way. There have been years that HHS could have played with and beat almost anybody in the state and the country arguably. I remember watching them beat on a pretty good Ryle team a few years ago. They have had some really good years. Nothing is guaranteed on Friday nights. Gotta work hard mon - thurs to get back to those days. So what's changed in FT. Thomas. Down classes, the coaching change, kids not working as hard? Would appreciate honest opinions, Besides the chest beating.

I was really just responding to SK#1 saying Highlands had never beatn the big school champ.

I think the Highlands drop in performance is just a slight lull in talent matched with other programs (coaching) becoming more like Highlands. Why do you think Ryle played Highlands twice per season all those years? I believe that Highlands DNA is all over the success of NKY football. -In the sense of how to run a high school football team. Half the area coaches are HHS alum.

I would be shocked if BW was not working them hard enough.
After all those championships in a row maybe the kids can think that it just happens if there is an H on your helmet???
mantax Wrote:That could be done if and only if people can act like adults, unfortunately that does not happen. I have plenty to add to the conversation, but do not feel like dealing with the resident idiot who always wants to chime in with childish comments. You really want honest answers and to have a good adult conversation PM me and I will see if I can enlighten you at all.

:hilarious:
BlueBirdWarrior Wrote:My post was not intended to be boastful. I was just providing an account of what happened last year at the event. Based on the data, Highlands did well at the competition. Yet, as some have pointed out, it did not equate to success on Friday night.

Same for Woodford. Everyone knows that you can't equate a 7v7 or lineman challenge win to wins on Friday night. But why let that stop folks from doing it?
UK1fan Wrote::hilarious:

I'm not sure, but I think you just proved Mantax's point.
Don Drumpf Wrote:I'm not sure, but I think you just proved Mantax's point.

I really don't care what his point is. He clearly hasn't looked in the mirror. :Thumbs:
mantax Wrote:Wow, had a hard time understanding that. Funny how you bash on the very program that you inquired about having your son join. If things are so good in Union, why you trying to get out? I will leave it at that.

Now that's funny stuff.
Since this is a Highlands thread. I think 7 on 7s will show how well the passing game will be. Or where adjustments and improvement needs to be made. I know they have at least 2 good running backs. I know nothing of the line. Other than they are smaller than last year. Just what I heard. And I know nothing about the defense.
I heard Highlands beat Ryle once and lost to Male twice in 7 on 7 today.
bo67 Wrote:They made adjustments after the bye week from what I've heard. I have no idea what they were. I'm in Florida. And they got somewhat better. That's a learning curve. Hopefully they have everything where they want it by August. I don't care if you have 200 kids. I still say you play your best athletes both ways. If you move kids from one side of the ball to another. What's the difference? If kids are good on offense and good on defense. Let them play both.

UK1fan is right, the only reason they won games in second half of season is because of poor 5A competition! The did improve a little, but nothing big; they where still not a good team! The typical Highlands team would put a running clock on all the 5A competition last year except probably BG.
mantax Wrote:I am not a "stocker". I am a professional. Hearing SK will be losing about 700 plus students that will be dispersed among Dixie and Scott, bringing an end to open enrollment. Highlands has always accepted tuition students. The first question on the application is whether or not you play football, which automatically gets you in. ha ha

That is incorrect, they closed to out of district because of increased enrollment from in district. I believe it is still closed, no room for out of district kids.
Don Drumpf Wrote:More than once, Highlands has beat the eventual 6A champ the same year they won the championship in a smaller class. SK is yet to get out of its side of the bracket.

I know they did in 1982
sstack Wrote:That is incorrect, they closed to out of district because of increased enrollment from in district. I believe it is still closed, no room for out of district kids.

If you are going to get on here and talk, know the facts. The district is not closed. It is for some grades, unless of course you move into said district. The first question on the application is still the most important, Do you play football?
sstack Wrote:UK1fan is right, the only reason they won games in second half of season is because of poor 5A competition! The did improve a little, but nothing big; they where still not a good team! The typical Highlands team would put a running clock on all the 5A competition last year except probably BG.

Kind of like the girls soccer team right? You schedule enough patsies to pad your stats it makes you look good. They were not a good team, but yet they made the state semi-finals and led for 3 quarters against a team many said would put a running clock on them. The "typical" Highlands team is the real issue however. Can you describe what "typical" Highlands teams are please? Not every year is blessed with a QB that is a high level Division 1 recruit. Take Lorenzen, Guidulgi and Towles out of the mix and let me know if they would be "typical" in your mind. I would also say that Hoge was better than Towles and not too far behind the other two as a high school quarterback. This "bad" team of last year has 5 to 7 kids that are going to play in college next year do they not? Is that "typical" of a Highlands team or not?

Was it a typical Highlands team in 1983 when they lost a game they should have one and did not advance in the playoffs? How about 1984 and 1985? Or better yet how about 1980? Didn't they lose to Newport?
Ok. Predict Highlands regular season record for 2016
bo67 Wrote:Ok. Predict Highlands regular season record for 2016

I have to see and hear a little more before I would even attempt to make a prediction. Was told that Gosney looked pretty good yesterday at Ryle and that the receiver position is very deep. Also heard that the DB's were not very good, whatever that might mean.

The key for this team much like any other is going to be line play on both sides of the ball. The only returning guy on the D-line is now at NCC and a mainstay on the offensive line has been battling injury since the baseball season. It is my understanding that there are roughly 92 on the roster for this year and the frosh have somewhere in the low 30's. I believe that the juniors are the lowest in numbers in the low 20's.
3-7 or 2-8. Wins against Boone and Grant.
mantax Wrote:Kind of like the girls soccer team right? You schedule enough patsies to pad your stats it makes you look good. They were not a good team, but yet they made the state semi-finals and led for 3 quarters against a team many said would put a running clock on them. The "typical" Highlands team is the real issue however. Can you describe what "typical" Highlands teams are please? Not every year is blessed with a QB that is a high level Division 1 recruit. Take Lorenzen, Guidulgi and Towles out of the mix and let me know if they would be "typical" in your mind. I would also say that Hoge was better than Towles and not too far behind the other two as a high school quarterback. This "bad" team of last year has 5 to 7 kids that are going to play in college next year do they not? Is that "typical" of a Highlands team or not?

Was it a typical Highlands team in 1983 when they lost a game they should have one and did not advance in the playoffs? How about 1984 and 1985? Or better yet how about 1980? Didn't they lose to Newport?

When talking about the Typical HHS team I was really only talking about the last 10-15 years when they have been crazy good and not the last 100 years. You are right, they have been blessed with a long string of very good QB's!
That 83' team loss was a tough one, weather really helped level the playing field in that one. That Sr. class and the class of 82' had some good athletes, but I think the coaching and athletes of today are better. The kids today put so much more time and effort into their sports, and more is expected of the coaching.
The 84' and 85' teams remind me alot of last years team and what I expect from this years team. They had some good players but where down in number of quality athletes (84' class was very small numbers wise for boys) and I feel coaching changes did not help then or last year.
As far as the girls soccer team, it is returning 3 D1 players, and I think 1-2 others will play D2 or 3; a lot of coaches would kill for that. Will they have success on the field though as a team?