Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2016
UK1fan Wrote:You can win all the championships you want and brag all you want but don't forget my favorite team put a running clock on you before halftime! Big Grin

Every time You bash highlands, You just prove how great they are. Fans of less successfull programs beat there chest when the rare occasion comes up that they beat a powerhouse. Highlands wins championships, and like any traditionally powerhouse that's there concern. Fans of teams that don't win titles have to resort to "remember that time we beat highlands we are the greatest in the world" Highlands knows how to act like they've been there before and will be back again. Obviously you've never been there before, and now that your team is on the rise you can't handle the success with class. A 6a school having a 2-25 record against a 4a size school is nothing to brag about. So you won big over highlands last year, well how many times has highlands won big over Simon Kenton. Simon Kenton is a team I've kinda rooted for, but you have just turned me to not wish them well. When your team has more championships than highlands then you can tell us how your program is great.
bo67 Wrote:what position did he play?

dl/lb
killbilly usmc Wrote:Every time You bash highlands, You just prove how great they are. Fans of less successfull programs beat there chest when the rare occasion comes up that they beat a powerhouse. Highlands wins championships, and like any traditionally powerhouse that's there concern. Fans of teams that don't win titles have to resort to "remember that time we beat highlands we are the greatest in the world" Highlands knows how to act like they've been there before and will be back again. Obviously you've never been there before, and now that your team is on the rise you can't handle the success with class. A 6a school having a 2-25 record against a 4a size school is nothing to brag about. So you won big over highlands last year, well how many times has highlands won big over Simon Kenton. Simon Kenton is a team I've kinda rooted for, but you have just turned me to not wish them well. When your team has more championships than highlands then you can tell us how your program is great.

SK will put another running clock on Highlands.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Every time You bash highlands, You just prove how great they are. Fans of less successfull programs beat there chest when the rare occasion comes up that they beat a powerhouse. Highlands wins championships, and like any traditionally powerhouse that's there concern. Fans of teams that don't win titles have to resort to "remember that time we beat highlands we are the greatest in the world" Highlands knows how to act like they've been there before and will be back again. Obviously you've never been there before, and now that your team is on the rise you can't handle the success with class. A 6a school having a 2-25 record against a 4a size school is nothing to brag about. So you won big over highlands last year, well how many times has highlands won big over Simon Kenton. Simon Kenton is a team I've kinda rooted for, but you have just turned me to not wish them well. When your team has more championships than highlands then you can tell us how your program is great.

If SK was in 4A or 5A they would win state every year. 6A is 100 times harder to win.
UK1fan Wrote:If SK was in 4A or 5A they would win state every year. 6A is 100 times harder to win.

No they wouldn't. Y'all are 2-25 against highlands, so that proves you ain't good enough. Bowling green would also smash you. Even with 6a enrollment you would be lucky if you could win a title in the same class as highlands and bowling green. You might win 1 every 20 years if the stars aligned and they both had a down year the exact same year.
killbilly usmc Wrote:No they wouldn't. Y'all are 2-25 against highlands, so that proves you ain't good enough. Bowling green would also smash you. Even with 6a enrollment you would be lucky if you could win a title in the same class as highlands and bowling green. You might win 1 every 20 years if the stars aligned and they both had a down year the exact same year.

Ask Pulaski County what happened last time they played SK!
UK1fan Wrote:Ask Pulaski County what happened last time they played SK!

You need to be worrying more about teams like lafayette, and Dixie heights that has made a living out of spanking you. Won't be long highlands will be the old highlands again, and they will be back to winning titles, and beating simon kenton every year by 40 just like they almost always have. Enjoy kicking them while there down while you can, cause it won't last. I'm curious what highlands has this year, but can't learn much about them with you constantly on here bashing them.
killbilly usmc Wrote:You need to be worrying more about teams like lafayette, and Dixie heights that has made a living out of spanking you. Won't be long highlands will be the old highlands again, and they will be back to winning titles, and beating simon kenton every year by 40 just like they almost always have. Enjoy kicking them while there down while you can, cause it won't last. I'm curious what highlands has this year, but can't learn much about them with you constantly on here bashing them.

Haha SK beat Lafayette 2 years ago by 20 and Dixie is 5A with Highlands SK will beat Dixie just like last year. Highlands has another down year. ;D
I thought this was a Highlands thread. I have great respect for Highlands. They've earned everyone's respect. Simon Kenton...not so much.
UK1fan Wrote:If SK was in 4A or 5A they would win state every year. 6A is 100 times harder to win.

More than once, Highlands has beat the eventual 6A champ the same year they won the championship in a smaller class. SK is yet to get out of its side of the bracket.
They've earned the nations respect. 2nd in the country for wins. They won't win state every year. No one will. There's been down years before. They'll bounce back eventually. And when they do. They'll probably have more down years in the future. But overall they win. Doesn't matter how good they are. They have a target on them every week. After all they are Highlands.
Don Drumpf Wrote:More than once, Highlands has beat the eventual 6A champ the same year they won the championship in a smaller class. SK is yet to get out of its side of the bracket.

Wrong.
Simon Kenton did make it to the finals in 08, but it was by default, and it was obvious they didn't belong there when they got whipped 48-0. The real state championship was the dogfight between trinity, and st xavier. Simon Kenton even got pigstomped by a 2a team that didn't even win the title that year.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Simon Kenton did make it to the finals in 08, but it was by default, and it was obvious they didn't belong there when they got whipped 48-0. The real state championship was the dogfight between trinity, and st xavier. Simon Kenton even got pigstomped by a 2a team that didn't even win the title that year.

They beat Male that year. All I ever heard was how great Highlands was. How fast they was how big they was, how much depth they had and how SK will never be able to compete with them and then boom! SK not only beats Highlands but put a running clock on them and moves the ball on them with their JV. Big Grin
Alot of people me included say Highla ds had a down year but can't really have a down year with 90 kids on a roster. It falls on the coaches they bad job of developing a good roster.
Bingo UK1fan . They won't play kids both ways
killbilly usmc Wrote:Simon Kenton did make it to the finals in 08, but it was by default, and it was obvious they didn't belong there when they got whipped 48-0. The real state championship was the dogfight between trinity, and st xavier. Simon Kenton even got pigstomped by a 2a team that didn't even win the title that year.

I guess UKfun got me. SK made it out of their bracket 1 year. Again, 1 time. Confusednicker:
UK1fan Wrote:Alot of people me included say Highla ds had a down year but can't really have a down year with 90 kids on a roster. It falls on the coaches they bad job of developing a good roster.

What's the excuse for SK the last quarter century?
To be honest when I seen highland pre season at the RYLE 7 on 7 last year they looked small, and not very athletic. I knew they would have a rough year playing all the 6a schools. I dont know how many kids they have coming back or how many were juniors but they didnt look dominant to me. If that trend continues they may have another rough one. Can't judge a book by its cover but they just didn't have the football player look. In other words they failed the eyeball test. Seriously they looked more JV in size except for a few kids. Not knocking them just my observation. Can't work on height but they need to put that new weight room to good use to get back to where they were a couple years ago. You win in the weight room and get to show it on fri nights.
Fear the Nation Wrote:To be honest when I seen highland pre season at the RYLE 7 on 7 last year they looked small, and not very athletic. I knew they would have a rough year playing all the 6a schools. I dont know how many kids they have coming back or how many were juniors but they didnt look dominant to me. If that trend continues they may have another rough one. Can't judge a book by its cover but they just didn't have the football player look. In other words they failed the eyeball test. Seriously they looked more JV in size except for a few kids. Not knocking them just my observation. Can't work on height but they need to put that new weight room to good use to get back to where they were a couple years ago. You win in the weight room and get to show it on fri nights.

Looking at their roster they are smaller this year. No size at all. They will probably be 0-7 the first 7 games.
They MIGHT have athletes to complete. IF they play their best players both ways. They have 2 good running backs. And a couple good receivers.
I might be mistaken, but didn't Highlands make it to the state semi-finals last year? In fact, I believe they led the game 31-14 before Pulaski County made changes defensively that took the running game away and Highlands failed to adjust. Then defensively Highlands had their playmakers standing on the sidelines watching as the game slipped away.

The best comments are those about the weight room. I am not sure what some of you have been watching over the years, but Highlands use of the weight room is not to build bulk and push people around. They beat people with a scheme that emphasizes speed and quickness.

The problem last year was the reluctance to make position changes until the bye week along with probably the biggest change, which was in offensive philosophy. Coaches learned the hard way that there were some limitations that just were not going to allow them to run the offense as they had the prior few seasons.

Hard to say what this year will bring because it all centers on the quarterback, who saw very limited snaps last year. Would certainly expect them to be a run first team, as they do have 3 offensive lineman returning that saw extensive action last year. The problem is the drop from those 3 and the fact that 2 guys graduated that were amongst the best in the area last year.

Defensively the back 4 will be solid, not sure how the front 7 shakes out however.
mantax Wrote:I might be mistaken, but didn't Highlands make it to the state semi-finals last year? In fact, I believe they led the game 31-14 before Pulaski County made changes defensively that took the running game away and Highlands failed to adjust. Then defensively Highlands had their playmakers standing on the sidelines watching as the game slipped away.

The best comments are those about the weight room. I am not sure what some of you have been watching over the years, but Highlands use of the weight room is not to build bulk and push people around. They beat people with a scheme that emphasizes speed and quickness.

The problem last year was the reluctance to make position changes until the bye week along with probably the biggest change, which was in offensive philosophy. Coaches learned the hard way that there were some limitations that just were not going to allow them to run the offense as they had the prior few seasons.

Hard to say what this year will bring because it all centers on the quarterback, who saw very limited snaps last year. Would certainly expect them to be a run first team, as they do have 3 offensive lineman returning that saw extensive action last year. The problem is the drop from those 3 and the fact that 2 guys graduated that were amongst the best in the area last year.

Defensively the back 4 will be solid, not sure how the front 7 shakes out however.

Last years Highland team looked like a peewee team compared to SK, Cooper and Ryle. Just saying.
UK1fan Wrote:Last years Highland team looked like a peewee team compared to SK, Cooper and Ryle. Just saying.

Sure they did. And last I checked they were playing one week longer than all three of those teams were they not? Don't let facts get in the way of your usual meaningless comments. Someone earlier asked to have discussion about Highlands and you continually show your usual antics. Exactly why I will not provide any information on here or anywhere for that matter. Let us all know when Simon Kenton wins something like a state title that is not in basketball.

Now FTN talks about size and I will ask, did Highlands not finish runner up in the strong man competition last year at Ryle? If Highlands was so BIG in 2015, please give me a list of who those kids were. I have racked my brain on that one and simply cannot come up with anyone.
mantax Wrote:Sure they did. And last I checked they were playing one week longer than all three of those teams were they not? Don't let facts get in the way of your usual meaningless comments. Someone earlier asked to have discussion about Highlands and you continually show your usual antics. Exactly why I will not provide any information on here or anywhere for that matter. Let us all know when Simon Kenton wins something like a state title that is not in basketball.

Now FTN talks about size and I will ask, did Highlands not finish runner up in the strong man competition last year at Ryle? If Highlands was so BIG in 2015, please give me a list of who those kids were. I have racked my brain on that one and simply cannot come up with anyone.

Wrong SK played just as many games as Highlands only difference is 5A is 10 times weaker than 6a. Last years Highlands had some size in Hebel 6'2 300, Robinson 6'2 290, Raleigh 6'0 240, Haas 6'3 265, Richardson 6'1 245, Dunn 6'0 260 and Finfrock 6'4 230. And only Dunn and Finfrock return. Most of their starters on defense where tiny.
I'm waiting for the first game to see what Highlands has. My grandson plays for Cooper. He is 6'5" 265. But I think at least 280 by that game.
Brent Angel is now playing for Highlands. He played for CovCath last year. 6'3 200 receiver.
mantax Wrote:Sure they did. And last I checked they were playing one week longer than all three of those teams were they not? Don't let facts get in the way of your usual meaningless comments. Someone earlier asked to have discussion about Highlands and you continually show your usual antics. Exactly why I will not provide any information on here or anywhere for that matter. Let us all know when Simon Kenton wins something like a state title that is not in basketball.

Yes they did but I didn't watch the lineman challenge. I watched the two days of the skills in the 7 on 7. Like I said deflect and attack if you want but I what I seen was more like baseball and basketball players. When I look for a football athlete I look at the arms for some muscle mass, thick hips, big gluteus and thick thighs with a nice calf. That usually means the kid has good core strength. What I saw was hip bones, skinny legs and arms. Not what I expected for a championship football team. Just an observation. Looked like kids who thought they were going to win because of the name on the jersey. Didn't see the look of a bunch of grinders. Yes, there were some players, and a bunch of little guys too.
Fear the Nation Wrote:Yes they did but I didn't watch the lineman challenge. I watched the two days of the skills in the 7 on 7. Like I said deflect and attack if you want but I what I seen was more like baseball and basketball players. When I look for a football athlete I look at the arms for some muscle mass, thick hips, big gluteus and thick thighs with a nice calf. That usually means the kid has good core strength. What I saw was hip bones, skinny legs and arms. Not what I expected for a championship football team. Just an observation. Looked like kids who thought they were going to win because of the name on the jersey. Didn't see the look of a bunch of grinders. Yes, there were some players, and a bunch of little guys too.

I attended the lineman challenge last year and watched every minute because my son was one of the five on Highland's A team. Highlands came in second because they lost the final event which was a winner take all tug-o-war, won by Woodford County. Woodford's players were huge.

There were individual and team events. A Highlands player won the individual events in: bench press, farmers' carry, and tire throw. A Highlands player did not win the tire roll or sled pulling events. Highlands won three of the four team events (obsticale course, truck push, and, sled push). They lost the tug-o-war at the end.

This really has no bearing on the 2016 team because four graduated and one went to another school.
And has nothing to do with playing football I knew people who could lift a car. But average football players