•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2016
Which teams was better 2013 or 2014?
I did too but everyone else kept referencing to the team. And besides, not very many running backs make their own holes or pin the defensive ends for their end-a-rounds. And not too many quarterbacks do their own pass protection.

And as far as the defensive line goes, those same guys pretty much took care of business. The kid from Sciotoville (Portsmouth East) came in with over 1,200 yards in 4 games and was held to -7 yards. And I'm pretty sure the elite running backs from Ironton ran for less than 100 yards total. With most games being blowouts, I'm pretty sure not too many teams rushed or threw for a tremendous amount of yardage.

It's a given that not very many lines are going to win a game without pretty decent skill players, but not very many skill players are going win a game without the guys in the trenches making the blocks and helping keep the quarterback from laying on his back looking at the stars.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:I did too but everyone else kept referencing to the team. And besides, not very many running backs make their own holes or pin the defensive ends for their end-a-rounds. And not too many quarterbacks do their own pass protection.

And as far as the defensive line goes, those same guys pretty much took care of business. The kid from Sciotoville (Portsmouth East) came in with over 1,200 yards in 4 games and was held to -7 yards. And I'm pretty sure the elite running backs from Ironton ran for less than 100 yards total. With most games being blowouts, I'm pretty sure not too many teams rushed or threw for a tremendous amount of yardage.

It's a given that not very many lines are going to win a game without pretty decent skill players, but not very many skill players are going win a game without the guys in the trenches making the blocks and helping keep the quarterback from laying on his back looking at the stars.

The Sciotoville game was 2012. My bad.

To begin with I said it had been debated that the '13 line was considered by many to be the best. I didn't necessarily say they were better than the '08 line. I was trying to get a comparison to the projected '16 line. I agree that the '08team had one heck of a set of linemen.
But how many games did you see the 08 team play??
Wallace,Hall, Fairchild, Carmen, Manis. Will be a very good line for 2016. Dixon, maulk, Willet, being the backups. If I was to have to make a pick at this point. Looks like a pretty solid 5 up front. Should be able to protect Davidson and open some big holes. Time will only tell how good they can really be. May have a few more step up.
Boggs Johnson and manis were all big ole boys. Carmen probably quicker and stronger not sure on blocking. Wallace was a freshman so he's healthy this year so watch out. Hall is quick, strong and blocks very well. Manis I'm going to say is as good as his brother. Fairchild really only stated 1 game at center last year against paintsville. He moved their big nose around with no problem as a sophomore. Junior this year, he's stronger and has dropped about 15 pounds. I'll take this year line, let see what we think after week 2. Going to be exciting for sure.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:But how many games did you see the 08 team play??

Probably around 8 or so.
bac2369 Wrote:Which teams was better 2013 or 2014?

IMO 2014 team was better. Even though those two teams are the only ones that has won the region, they are not the best teams Raceland has fielded. IMO 1987, 2006, and 2008 were the best Raceland teams I have seen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Both teams finished with an 11-3 record. Both got hammered by Williamsburg. But I'd have to go with the 2013 team because their 2 regular season losses were by a combined total of only 4 points with the loss to Lawrence County happening without their best running back who was one of the best backs in Eastern Ky. The thing that impressed me most with the 2014 team was the dismantling of an undefeated Lawrence County team, but I still feel that the 2013 team was a bit better. Both were very good.

At least my question about the '13-'16 line comparison got this thread moving a bit.

Raceland has had some very good lines for a 1A school.
Yes we have, we do hold our own.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:Both teams finished with an 11-3 record. Both got hammered by Williamsburg. But I'd have to go with the 2013 team because their 2 regular season losses were by a combined total of only 4 points with the loss to Lawrence County happening without their best running back who was one of the best backs in Eastern Ky. The thing that impressed me most with the 2014 team was the dismantling of an undefeated Lawrence County team, but I still feel that the 2013 team was a bit better. Both were very good.

At least my question about the '13-'16 line comparison got this thread moving a bit.

Raceland has had some very good lines for a 1A school.

Didn't the 2014 team play Williamsburg closer? I mean the score is about the same but I think Williamsburg had to work for it.
I think it was the exact score, 34-7. Idk for sure. But 2014 game was a Raceland home game which most people say that anyone's hone game usually gives you a 12 to 14 point advantage.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:I think it was the exact score, 34-7. Idk for sure. But 2014 game was a Raceland home game which most people say that anyone's hone game usually gives you a 12 to 14 point advantage.

The 2014 loss to Williamsburg was at home by the score of 34-8. 2013 loss was @ Williamsburg by the score of 34-7.
I seen both teams of Williamsburg in 2013 and 2014. Williamsburg was night and day better in 2014. Basing my results I would say 2014 was better than 2013. But I give credit in 2013 for there defense holding Pikeville to 3 points.
Back to the topic at hand. Who are some underclassmen that you all expect to impact the Rams this year? Primarily in the sophomore class. Seems like every year we have one or two that will. Judd Adkins? Hunter Lacks? Is this the year we see Damon Black more involved in the offense?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Back to the topic at hand. Who are some underclassmen that you all expect to impact the Rams this year? Primarily in the sophomore class. Seems like every year we have one or two that will. Judd Adkins? Hunter Lacks? Is this the year we see Damon Black more involved in the offense?

Adkins and Lacks both have the potential to be special. If Adkins can stay healthy, I think he has a slightly higher ceiling. I'm sure the upcoming season can't get here soon enough for Judd after missing almost all of 2015.

Somebody(Judd, Hunter, Damon) needs to step up and take some pressure off of Bailey Walker. As good a player as Bailey is, he shouldn't have to carry the load at running back and linebacker for nearly every snap of every game. Having a reliable second or third option out of the backfield will go a long way toward getting the Rams where they want to go this season.

Davidson's development as a passer and finding some playmakers in the passing game could be crucial as well if Raceland's going to take back the district and region from Paintsville.
Damon can't take a hit and gets a little skittish when hearing foot steps. so I don't see him being very likely to run the ball much. I hope I'm wrong very athletic. His role may be more at a WR. I believe he can help in the open field. Chase love runs hard. If Adkins can stay healthy big things are expected from him. Lacks would do well at safely. Super fast and can jump. Don't think he wants to run the ball. We diffently need some help in the back field. A couple threats would be nice. You know walker will be keyed on a lot.
Peaches Wrote:Interesting that Mr. Walker beat an individual that was clocked with the same time that former Tomcat Baker ran the 40-4.47. Does anyone have his 40 time? Does he have the potential to be better than Baker?

I posted the quoted several weeks ago but no one has answered. Anyone want to share or does Raceland prefer to keep this information close to their chest?
Peaches Wrote:I posted the quoted several weeks ago but no one has answered. Anyone want to share or does Raceland prefer to keep this information close to their chest?

Bailey runs 4.4-4.5 I would say. and beat Kent take that for what it's worth
Peaches Wrote:I posted the quoted several weeks ago but no one has answered. Anyone want to share or does Raceland prefer to keep this information close to their chest?

And to answer if he can be better than baker , Bailey is a different style of runner , Baker avoided contact , Bailey enjoys it
Two totally different styles. Like it was said walker doesn't look for a hole he makes one. Hard nose down hill runner.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Bailey runs 4.4-4.5 I would say. and beat Kent take that for what it's worth

Thank you. Phelps ran a 4.47 hand timed 40 and Baker ran a 4.47 laser at a Sparq combine after he ran a 4.27 hand timed 40 at the same combine a year before Phelps ran his. Hand times are usually adjusted anywhere from .15-.2 seconds to get a more realistic number. This link shows the common number being a .16 second adjustment for hand times to get what the laser time should be.
http://www.physicaleducationupdate.com/public/555.cfm
Going with that adjustment Phelps is in the 4.63-4.67 40 range which would put Bailey in the 4.56-4.66 range should they ever run it electronically. Very seldom do you find two young men representing Class A ball in this part of the state with these numbers. Congratulations to both on the hard work to get there.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:And to answer if he can be better than baker , Bailey is a different style of runner , Baker avoided contact , Bailey enjoys it

I always loved watching a bruiser in the backfield. With him being hard nosed some may question his vision to find the open grain. Does he have allusiveness and agility to cut across the field to make people miss? Sometimes that is more important than straight line speed. Also it would seem even more important for one that plays both sides of the ball to limit the potential of a possible injury.
Peaches Wrote:Thank you. Phelps ran a 4.47 hand timed 40 and Baker ran a 4.47 laser at a Sparq combine after he ran a 4.27 hand timed 40 at the same combine a year before Phelps ran his. Hand times are usually adjusted anywhere from .15-.2 seconds to get a more realistic number. This link shows the common number being a .16 second adjustment for hand times to get what the laser time should be.
http://www.physicaleducationupdate.com/public/555.cfm

In track meets, hand times are rounded up and then .24 is added to convert to FAT timing standards in short sprints like the 100 & 200. 400 is .14.
EX: Walker ran an 11.34 in the 100 @ Morgan Co. with sprint 8 hand timing. The conversion to FAT Timing made it 11.64.
Raceland season will depend on the qb play who ever is playing it has to do better.. Davidson has to improve from last yr in all aspects of the game if he is the qb..Not to worried about the line on this team... Just hope that all the injuries they had last yr are healed...
Last years key injuries, Bailey, Davidson, and Wallace, were major factors. More than I or many other knew. Nathaniel wasnt really healthy until the regional championship game. Bailey played the entire year with an enormous muscle spasm and wasnt really close healthy until the playoffs. Isaac played with a tear in his knee all year. Imo, by the time the regional championship rolled around, you saw what that team could be. A week or two earlier, if healthy, you'd have a different district and regional champ imo. Really looking foward to seeing if these kids can prove what I have felt like they were capable of. Looking for that Ram Pride to get back on the sidelines again.

That was a huge disapointment for me last year. Kids with helmets off on the sidelines, walking on and off the field. Never a sense of urgency until it was late in the game. Come out, smack em in the mouth, go for the kill shot early, lay the hammer down, and never play like you have the lead. 88, 95, 06, 08 all had it. 13 and 14 had it at times, but honestly all were beaten by better teams in the playoffs. Last year I didnt feel that was the case. Hopefully this year is different.
The kid threw for 1600 last year so he needs to atleast throw for the same or better for Raceland to be successful.
QB/WRs development and the development of the secondary will determine the success of the season for the Rams.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:QB/WRs development and the development of the secondary will determine the success of the season for the Rams.

Is there potential for a vertical passing game next season? Does Raceland have a big play WR on the roster?

Hands down 2013 was the better team. 64SUR :truestory:
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next