Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from State Tournament
I personally enjoyed the State Tournament this weekend. I watched every game, missed the first half of the semi-finals because of UK game.
Here are some questions I have for everyone after the state tournament and some RUMORS i heard this weekend.

1. Top 5 players from the Sweet 16 weekend?
--- 5) Jared Grubb (South Laurel) - i know he might not be top 5 but this week he was.
--- 4) Ben Weyer (New Cath)
--- 3) Will Hager (Mercer Co.) - just one game but he impressed me
--- 2) Quentin Goodin (Taylor Co.)
--- 1) Taveion Hollingsworth (Dunbar)

2. Biggest surprise(s) of the tournament?
--- Jared Grubb and the South Laurel Cardinals.

3. Biggest disappointment(s) of the tournaments?
--- 1a) Christian County
--- 1b) Trinity
--- 2) Doss fans

4. Rumors heard at the State tournament?
--- Elisha Justice is going to Pikeville
--- BB King is resigning
--- Al Hollan to Knott County
--- Big boys from JBS are going to Perry
--- Jim Hicks fired at Shelby Valley
--- Voight is out at Pulaski Count - dont know much about the 12th region but had some people from somerset sitting behind me.

5. How many Ice creams did you eat?
What was the disappointment with Doss fans? I didn't see the semis or the finals. Or do you just mean in number?
I liked the point guard (Edwards?) from Christian Co. Even though they were a disappointment I thought he played a heck of a game.
I definitely agree with the disappointment in Doss fans. Idk if I would put Hollingsworth over Goodin. For the tournament yes but overall I don't know. Does anyone know how Holligsworths recruiting has been going? Any big offers? I really like the kids game.
Basketball Man Wrote:What was the disappointment with Doss fans? I didn't see the semis or the finals. Or do you just mean in number?

Yes just by numbers. should have said "the amount of fans"

Gsjhe Wrote:I definitely agree with the disappointment in Doss fans. Idk if I would put Hollingsworth over Goodin. For the tournament yes but overall I don't know. Does anyone know how Holligsworths recruiting has been going? Any big offers? I really like the kids game.

just talking about this week. Goodin is a better player but not this week he wasn't. Goodin is great but didn't play well against Doss.
Hollinsworth and Weyer were the two best players I saw by far.
UK#24 Wrote:Yes just by numbers. should have said "the amount of fans"

just talking about this week. Goodin is a better player but not this week he wasn't. Goodin is great but didn't play well against Doss.
I definitely agree with this week.
Jared Grubb has been under the radar all year in the 13th and the state. I believe Jared will be one of the best guard in the state next year. 64SUR :Cheerlead and I had 3 Ice Cream. Confusednicker:
Non game related notes.
1. Rupps security are the biggest pr! *ks on earth. (yellow vest.)
2.The fact that they done away with actual programs is the dumbest things I've saw the khsaa do at the tournament in a long time.

Now something game related. Do away with the good old boy picks of the "best" ref of each region doing the games, and get good quality college refs for the tournament. It's suppose to be about the kids, right?
State tournament this year was excellent in my opinion.
callmecrazy33 Wrote:Non game related notes.
1. Rupps security are the biggest pr! *ks on earth. (yellow vest.)
2.The fact that they done away with actual programs is the dumbest things I've saw the khsaa do at the tournament in a long time.

Now something game related. Do away with the good old boy picks of the "best" ref of each region doing the games, and get good quality college refs for the tournament. It's suppose to be about the kids, right?

Why is having high school refs do the games a disservice to the kids.

College rules are different. I'd much rather have guys calling the games that are consistently calling high school action.

They already take a lot into consideration when deciding who refs these games.
zaga_fan Wrote:College rules are different. I'd much rather have guys calling the games that are consistently calling high school action.

When the season starts the ref call the games very tight. By Christmas with all the tournaments going on it is like AAU and games are on a schedule. And by the time district, regions & State games its called more like a college game.
zaga_fan Wrote:Why is having high school refs do the games a disservice to the kids.

College rules are different. I'd much rather have guys calling the games that are consistently calling high school action.

Because college refs are a lot better than the high school refs. There was several good refs that done the state tournament, but there was about 4 really bad ones. They don't take much into consideration when selecting the refs either. It's whoever gets voted on by their region peers. Which is 99% of the time, the good old boy system where they vote for one of their friends that hasn't got to do a state tournament. The kids deserve the best possible, and I think the best possible would be college refs that are obviously better, and have no interest in the teams playing, or know any of the coaches. Just my opinion though.
Callmecrazy, you have no clue what you are talking about!!!! Have you watched a college game on TV lately? There are even worse calls there than in JV/freshmen games. And a majority of these high school officials do officiate college ball. So your point about college officials being better than high school officials has no legs to stand on.

BUT, you are right about one thing, as is everyone else as they know it, too. Officials who get regional tournament and state tournament selections are not sent there because of their ratings, as the assigners would have us all believe. It is who is in the inner circle of the assigners buddy-system. And no matter how good an official is, if they are not in that circle, then they either don't get post-season assignments, or their season ends after district tournaments. I know MANY top-notch officials who have been in many years, and can call circles around some of these officials who do region and state year after year, yet they never get picked for a region or state. And that is because they don't play the politics or kiss ass like many others. There have been officials who have been varsity only 3-5 seasons that have gotten region and/or state tournaments all because of who they know, not how good they are. It's a freakin joke!!!

So, that is how it is. And it is NEVER going to change.
Top 5 Players
1. Quentin Goodin
2. Ben Weyer
3. Taveion Hollingsworth
4. Jared Grubb
5. Edwards from CC

Biggest Surprises
1. Doss and the fan support
2. New Cath
3. South Laurel

Biggest Disappointment
1. Doss fan support
2. Doss and their pitiful display of class
3. Christian County

I ate 3 ice creams
The ghost of Rupp will never let Frankie cut the Nets down in that arena as long as he continues to dress like he's going to 1993 prom.
A few thoughts:

Ben Weyer can flat out hoop.

Hollingsworth picked up an offer from Scott Padgett at Samford on Monday. (More to come, I'm sure)

Goose Givens is still cash from all over the court.

Frankie Smith got out-coached. That team should have had a fairly easy walk to the Final Four.

Rupp Ice Cream is still the greatest ice cream... ever.
daredevil4life Wrote:Callmecrazy, you have no clue what you are talking about!!!! Have you watched a college game on TV lately? There are even worse calls there than in JV/freshmen games. And a majority of these high school officials do officiate college ball. So your point about college officials being better than high school officials has no legs to stand on.

BUT, you are right about one thing, as is everyone else as they know it, too. Officials who get regional tournament and state tournament selections are not sent there because of their ratings, as the assigners would have us all believe. It is who is in the inner circle of the assigners buddy-system. And no matter how good an official is, if they are not in that circle, then they either don't get post-season assignments, or their season ends after district tournaments. I know MANY top-notch officials who have been in many years, and can call circles around some of these officials who do region and state year after year, yet they never get picked for a region or state. And that is because they don't play the politics or kiss ass like many others. There have been officials who have been varsity only 3-5 seasons that have gotten region and/or state tournaments all because of who they know, not how good they are. It's a freakin joke!!!

So, that is how it is. And it is NEVER going to change.

I agree that it will never change, but I know you're not dumb enough to think that jv/freshman and high school refs are better than college refs. Are there bad ones in college that need to hang it up? Of course. But all of your college refs have to go to seminars, classes, and get graded at tournaments and such every year. High school refs just have to take a test online (that someone can take for them.) and be buddies with the assigned, and they're in. Plus like I said, they wouldn't know any of these teams or have any special interest in the games.
Pity the guys who got stuck with 13th region refs
You can't believe anything you hear at the state tournament... Come on!
I thought overall that the quality of basketball was down compared to ast years. Was not impressed as much this year. Some very good players that I had not seen before but very bad basketball, the last two games on Friday night were hard to watch. Whole lot of 1 on 1 selfish lack of fundamental basketball.
AAU basketball at its best HARDCORE
E's Army Wrote:Pity the guys who got stuck with 13th region refs
Amen to that! Saw a lot of games in different regions and the 13th have the worst refs of the bunch.
hardcore1 Wrote:I thought overall that the quality of basketball was down compared to ast years. Was not impressed as much this year. Some very good players that I had not seen before but very bad basketball, the last two games on Friday night were hard to watch. Whole lot of 1 on 1 selfish lack of fundamental basketball.

I would agree. There was more ranked teams in the 11th region than the Sweet 16.
oldgrouch Wrote:Amen to that! Saw a lot of games in different regions and the 13th have the worst refs of the bunch.

The 9th is pretty bad as well.
What is the record for the most 3 pointers in a quarter in the sweet sixteen?