• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Justice Scalia dies during hunting trip in Marfa
Terrible news. The Supreme Court has lost one of its two most conservative members and his replacement will be nominated by our Marxist President. This is a sad day in American history.

Quote:Supreme Court Justice Scalia dies during hunting trip in Marfa
EL PASO -- An El Paso source close to Justice Antonin Scalia tells ABC-7 that the 79-year-old died in his sleep last night after a day of quail hunting at Cibolo Creek Ranch outside of Marfa, Texas.

The Justice did not report feeling ill and retired to his room after dinner. The source, who was traveling with Scalia, told ABC-7 an El Paso priest has been called to Marfa.

Scalia was the longest-serving current Justice on the Supreme Court. He was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1986.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Terrible news. The Supreme Court has lost one of its two most conservative members and his replacement will be nominated by our Marxist President. This is a sad day in American history.
Yes sir that is bad
Is there any possible way that the Senate can hold off long enough for Obama to be out of office? I'm just asking cause I'm not sure about that.
I'm having another one of those moments. Other such moments were the day JFK was shot. The day Ronald Reagan got shot. The day Hurricane Sandy struck the New Jersey shore. The day Romney lost to Obama. And now today, we lose a truly great man and patriot in the person of Anthony Scalia.

There was one other moment in time that I wanted to give special attention to however. The day the Judiciary Committee headed up by Chairman Joseph Biden, and top Dem Lieutenants Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, Howard Metzenbaum and Dennis DiConcini robbed this nation of a great legal mind in the person of Supreme Court nominee Judge Robert Bork.

In short, Bork got railroaded and in my mind things have not been the same in this land since that unfortunate day. If one would care to get a look at a grimacing, borderline personality disorder in action, take a look at the lovable 'Uncle Joe' from Sept., 1987.
http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4236754/jo...obert-bork

If Harry Reid can shut down the Senate and refuse to take up a single piece of Republican born legislation basically from the day of John Boehner's ascension in January of 2011, until Mitch McConnell took his job away from him last January, Republicans can darn well sit on another vacuous female SC nominee by Pajama Boy. If not, Republicans rule both Houses and if Joe can get by with his insurrection back in 1987, Republicans should be able to show just cause for their rejection of a court seeded heavily in favor of the liberal ideological pipe dream.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Demarcus ware Wrote:Is there any possible way that the Senate can hold off long enough for Obama to be out of office? I'm just asking cause I'm not sure about that.
Cruz may answer that question tonight. I have heard some "experts" say that even if Republicans hold off the appointment until they adjourn, Obama could make a recess appointment at that time before the new Congress is seated. I am not sure how long the recess appointment would hold the seat.

I am very skeptical that McConnell and the RINOs will hold the line until after the election. If Republicans lose the election, then nothing will matter. The country will be doomed as Sanders, Hillary, Biden, or whoever else might ge elected will pack the court with three or four additional justices.
In light of the political atmosphere present in this country, the United States as intended by the framers of the constitution most likely died today.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:In light of the political atmosphere present in this country, the United States as intended by the framers of the constitution most likely died today.

Allowing Obama to appoint and get through a successor or, if the Republicans show some backbone and block his choice, the election of Hillary Clinton will guarantee the destruction of the constitution as we know it.

If you believe in the Second Amendment, you better load up before it is too late because, believe me, it will soon be too late if Obama and Clinton prevail.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:In light of the political atmosphere present in this country, the United States as intended by the framers of the constitution most likely died today.

This is more serious than most of you realize.
Tragically, all who believe in traditional Judeo-Christian tenets and the absolute teachings of the Holy Bible died a little today.
This is extremely bad news today.
I was hoping that we wouldn't lose any justices until the next president, almost assuredly, a Republican, came into office. There are at least 3 to 4 that have a good chance of passing on within the next 8 years due to there age.

I have a feeling McConnell wont be able to block it for an entire year.
What will most likely happen is they mutually agree on another Kennedy type Justice which in no way is good for Conservatives.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is extremely bad news today.
I was hoping that we wouldn't lose any justices until the next president, almost assuredly, a Republican, came into office. There are at least 3 to 4 that have a good chance of passing on within the next 8 years due to there age.

I have a feeling McConnell wont be able to block it for an entire year.
What will most likely happen is they mutually agree on another Kennedy type Justice which in no way is good for Conservatives.

Anyone selected to replace Scalia will be a loss for those who believe in interpreting the constitution as intended by the framers. No one can replace Scalia in that respect.

Obama is not one to compromise. He will nominate a radical liberal along the lines of Eric Holder. Republicans in the US Senate need to stick together, don't go into recess, and vote down anyone nominated by Obama.

Nonetheless, Scalia's death has created a constitutional crisis far more severe than will be realized by those who aren't familiar with the operation of the judicial branch of government.

The seriousness of this cannot be overstated. The traditional constitution and the constitutional respect for Judeo-Christian tenets are in big trouble. For once, the people better wake up.
Truth Wrote:Anyone selected to replace Scalia will be a loss for those who believe in interpreting the constitution as intended by the framers. No one can replace Scalia in that respect.

Obama is not one to compromise. He will nominate a radical liberal along the lines of Eric Holder. Republicans in the US Senate need to stick together, don't go into recess, and vote down anyone nominated by Obama.

Nonetheless, Scalia's death has created a constitutional crisis far more severe than will be realized by those who aren't familiar with the operation of the judicial branch of government.

The seriousness of this cannot be overstated. The traditional constitution and the constitutional respect for Judeo-Christian tenets are in big trouble. For once, the people better wake up.

Exactly. Obama is not likely to nominate a moderate when the brass ring is within his grasp. The chance to unbalance the court to a 5/4 liberal advantage exists right here and right now. I don't see him waiting for another time to come around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"The sky is falling. The sky is falling.". Chicken Little say.
I always think it funny how the champions of freedom and democracy lament the ignorance of the voting masses when their own views and ideas (as represented by a party and candidate) lose an election.
So the immediate impact is that in the event of a supreme court 4-4 tie the underlying courts decision is honored.

I got a chuckle out of sombreros sky is falling comment. The sky is certainly not falling, however, Scalias ardent support and strict interpretation of the United States Constitution will be extremely difficult to replace.

And yes folks this grand experiment called the USA is all about honoring and enforcing the judeo-christian foundation of our constitution.

This upcoming election grows more interesting by the week. Prayers to the Scalia family, friends, and our country.

Less than 24 hours later and the battle lines are well defined and the idiots running the asylum are already jockeying for position. Hang in there folks....God wins in the end!!! :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
At the time the Constitution was written and ratified, women could not vote, had no legal standing, and those with black skin could be counted as property like a cow or a couch. It may be convenient to ignore history, but it isn't honest or helpful if we want to accurately assess the Constitution and the people who wrote it, who were white men, not gods in waiting. Pump the brakes, folks, on America as The City of God.
^^So you, owing to superior intellect or experience in starting historically preeminent nations, stand in judgment of the founders?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:^^So you, owing to superior intellect or experience in starting historically preeminent nations, stand in judgment of the founders?

Yes or No

(1) Could women vote or have legal standing in court?

(2) Could a black skinned person be counted as property like a couch or a cow?

The Constitution, when written and ratified, was interpreted in the spirit of the times, not by gods, but by fairly affluent white men.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:At the time the Constitution was written and ratified, women could not vote, had no legal standing, and those with black skin could be counted as property like a cow or a couch. It may be convenient to ignore history, but it isn't honest or helpful if we want to accurately assess the Constitution and the people who wrote it, who were white men, not gods in waiting. Pump the brakes, folks, on America as The City of God.

No need to pump the brakes from our Lord and Saviors position. Hard work, integrity, trust, moral compass will win. And those wins occur when parents parent, and folks manage budgets effectively netting results to build local economies! Folks are realizing that school, township, village, county, and state politics trump the federals.

Grassroots will win! The taxpayers will no longer stand for those sitting on their arse and not working when able. Get ready to get drug tested and get ready to exert some effort folks. We are all in this together!!! And BTW the Constitution looks better now than it did when created then because of the current geo-political climate. It's timeless and supreme...

Liberty always wins!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
The United States Constitution is "timeless and supreme"? This just in: the councils of heaven agree that the New Jerusalem will adopt the Jeffersonian documents...come on, brethren and sisterens, what nonsense is this?
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:The United States Constitution is "timeless and supreme"? This just in: the councils of heaven agree that the New Jerusalem will adopt the Jeffersonian documents...come on, brethren and sisterens, what nonsense is this?

You dodged that in a most familiar way. Forgive me, but the founders from whom Scalia took his cues in interpretation of the law, will leave a much greater impact on history than the Urban Sombrero. At any rate, Scalia used ' the concept of 'originalism' to discern the intent of the founders in making his rulings. And it is important to honor the original intent, because great care was taken by the founders to speak plainly in the founding documents, so those that followed would have that road map to guide them. There is, despite the contrarian blather of the 'living document' types, exact and clearly discernible meaning to be gotten from study of the US Constitution. Otherwise, little historically insignificant specks like Barack Obama, might come through and use the law and the power of the Presidency to change everything that makes us Americans.

And, I see as in the case of Obama's insistence on being the bus driver, you have committed additional vehicular homicide in extending your attack on this county's traditional values by careening through the affairs of the Church with equal disdain. I am tempted at this point to ask the question. How have things been RealVille?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:At the time the Constitution was written and ratified, women could not vote, had no legal standing, and those with black skin could be counted as property like a cow or a couch. It may be convenient to ignore history, but it isn't honest or helpful if we want to accurately assess the Constitution and the people who wrote it, who were white men, not gods in waiting. Pump the brakes, folks, on America as The City of God.
News flash, Einstein! The U.S. Constitution has been amended many times, just as its authors intended. FYI, an amendment is the proper way to modify the Constitution, not men and women in black robes appointed for life.
"Textualism" was Scalia's preferred designation I think. So, OK, the original intent of the Framers did not include women voting and allowed black skinned human beings to be regarded as property, like a couch or a cow. At that time, there were voices decrying slavery, and even a few the non-entity status of women. What this suggests is that the Framers, men of great intellect and vision for sure, were yet but men, captives of their time, subject to the foible and frailty of all. And, yes, it is true, of course, that the Constitution was amended to end slavery and the price was a brutal and bloody civil war, and women did get the vote after much protest. How does that change the point made about the Framers? Surely you do not count as godlike perfection their stances on slavery and women?
If America's "traditional values" include slavery and misogyny, yes, I reject them.
As to the insignificance of The Urban Sombrero when compared to the Framers... relevance to the point made about slavery and misogyny? None...except it made you stick in your thumb and pull out a plum and say "what a clever boy am I."
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:"Textualism" was Scalia's preferred designation I think. So, OK, the original intent of the Framers did not include women voting and allowed black skinned human beings to be regarded as property, like a couch or a cow. At that time, there were voices decrying slavery, and even a few the non-entity status of women. What this suggests is that the Framers, men of great intellect and vision for sure, were yet but men, captives of their time, subject to the foible and frailty of all. And, yes, it is true, of course, that the Constitution was amended to end slavery and the price was a brutal and bloody civil war, and women did get the vote after much protest. How does that change the point made about the Framers? Surely you do not count as godlike perfection their stances on slavery and women?
The Bill of Rights and all of the other amendments of the Constitution are as much a part of the document as the original document. The framers of the Constitution realized that the document would need to be corrected and extended over time and they provided the tools to do so.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The Bill of Rights and all of the other amendments of the Constitution are as much a part of the document as the original document. The framers of the Constitution realized that the document would need to be corrected and extended over time and they provided the tools to do so.

I don't disagree with you on this. I am simply saying that to deify the Framers is a mistake. I often disagreed with Scalia, but he was a great legal mind, and I think his friendship with Ginsberg, like Reagan and O'Neil, is an example of a more civil discourse than now exists, unfortunately.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:I don't disagree with you on this. I am simply saying that to deify the Framers is a mistake. I often disagreed with Scalia, but he was a great legal mind, and I think his friendship with Ginsberg, like Reagan and O'Neil, is an example of a more civil discourse than now exists, unfortunately.
No man should be deified, but the authors of our Constitution were geniuses. They built the framework on which the greatest country that mankind has ever known was built.

Those who want to circumvent that framework by substituting the judgment of a few people in black robes for the hard work necessary to amend the Constitution are fools. In which camp are you?
I doubt the Framers conceived two men united in marriage. Not sure they conceived of women voting. Your "two camps" model does not do service to true debate, in my opinion.
The Urban Sombrero Wrote:I doubt the Framers conceived two men united in marriage. Not sure they conceived of women voting. Your "two camps" model does not do service to true debate, in my opinion.
Of course it does. The framers include the authors of the Constitution and all amendments thereto. If the authors of the Constitution did not address the marriage of homosexuals, then it is rightfully a matter for the states to address according the the Tenth Amendment. As for women, they have the vote because the Constitution, as amended, granted them that privilege. Thank you for answering my question. I can see where you camp.
  • 1(current)
  • Next