Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elisha Justice & Shelby Valley
This is mine and a lot of SV fans take on the situation. Anxious to see peoples discussion on this topic.

1. SV should have seen the red flags when they hired Jim Hicks. Hicks was suspended twice and eventually fired from Greenup County for recruiting earlier in his coaching career.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/news/loc...74050.html

2. A couple weeks after he leaves Grant County, he takes Grant's best player, Tyler Carr, with him to SV. This after being fired from Greenup Co. for this same thing according to the attached article.

3. This season he goes and gets a reclassified, 5th year senior from Mississippi, Malcolm Evans and plays him all summer with team knowing he can't be eligible. Should have been playing the boys he knew would be eligible and there.

4. The SV fan base is tired of this but more they are tired of his coaching antics on the sidelines. He YELLS/ SCREAMS to the top of his lungs from the time the ball is tipped until the end of the game. It is hard for a SV fan to sit and enjoy the game because of him which includes more than once chasing officials across the floor at halftime or after the games over. Watching SV games are misserable for most people anymore because of his YELLING and coaching style. He lets refs taking him out of the game and he forgets about coaching.

That being said. MOST PEOPLE IN THE SV community want ELISHA JUSTICE back at SV. He is a perfect fit. He would have entire community behind him as well as other people from Pike County and surrounding counties wanting to play for him. He could get TODD MAY to help him with post players. Could you imagine two former Mr. Basketball players coaching on same staff? Elisha would not have to recruit but players would come to him to play. Elisha already has kids transferring to JB from Phelps, SV, etc. in his short tenure at JB just to play for him. I can't imagine if he was at SV. Elisha is a great Christian man who would represent SV and the community in the best way. SV fans could again have a program to be proud of and not dread having to listen to Hicks' yelling antics and recruiting antics.

Looking at Hicks short stays at his last 3 jobs before SV, he will probably be gone after this season or next knowing his history. People in the community say last summer he applied for some jobs including one in Pulaski but couldn't get them or he would have left then. When coaches rent their house for more than a year, that usually means they know they are leaving when the next best job comes open.

IF HE LEAVES OR IS LET GO AFTER THIS SEASON, SV needs to go get Elisha Justice. It is who this community wants and respects!
Your kid not getting any PT I guess?
Don't want to ruffle your all's feathers any more than they are but these posts are too good to pass up, lol. So here is my two cents. Neither of them are what they claim to be on the religious front so that is a mute point. It's good for business in the mountains so I see why they use their Christianity, but actions speak louder than words. Number two, they neither have proven they can coach, but rather they can go after players someone else put time into by recruiting. I would think any community would want to see their own kids play and get better rather than kids from other communities. And last, I hate to break it to you, but Shelby Valley is not the Prom Queen of East KY basketball anymore. A lot has changed since the 2006-11 teams in terms of the people really calling the shots and the kids who are selected to take them. The only teams in the 15th a good coach would take would be Johnson Central and Lawrence because of their numbers and recent successes. So Elisha for Hicks is probably and even trade so why do it? You can fire Hicks, but a better coach than him wouldn't want the job at this point so why do it? Last, Elisha doesn't have a teaching certificate yet does he? So you trade even on the coaching end but lose a teacher, so why do it?
From what I've seen justice is not that good of a coach. Look at his record this year they have lost 5 or 6 games and with that roster you shouldn't lose more that 2 or 3 at the most
hitter Wrote:From what I've seen justice is not that good of a coach. Look at his record this year they have lost 5 or 6 games and with that roster you shouldn't lose more that 2 or 3 at the most

He is an up and coming coach that players want to play for. They have 16 wins this season which is more than any other team in the 14th.

JBS record before he got there:
9-20 2013-2014
11-16 2012-2013

JBS record since he got there:
16-6 This season so far
12-10 2014-2015

Young coaches won't have a lot of post season victories, but you can look to see where they were before he got there and where they are now.
McLovin Wrote:Don't want to ruffle your all's feathers any more than they are but these posts are too good to pass up, lol. So here is my two cents. Neither of them are what they claim to be on the religious front so that is a mute point. It's good for business in the mountains so I see why they use their Christianity, but actions speak louder than words. Number two, they neither have proven they can coach, but rather they can go after players someone else put time into by recruiting. I would think any community would want to see their own kids play and get better rather than kids from other communities. And last, I hate to break it to you, but Shelby Valley is not the Prom Queen of East KY basketball anymore. A lot has changed since the 2006-11 teams in terms of the people really calling the shots and the kids who are selected to take them. The only teams in the 15th a good coach would take would be Johnson Central and Lawrence because of their numbers and recent successes. So Elisha for Hicks is probably and even trade so why do it? You can fire Hicks, but a better coach than him wouldn't want the job at this point so why do it? Last, Elisha doesn't have a teaching certificate yet does he? So you trade even on the coaching end but lose a teacher, so why do it?

Good points you make. Definitely like the JC being good job, don't know about Lawrence.

As far as teaching, Pike County can and would create whatever they need to to get a coach. Look at David Jones to Phelps recently. SV has A LOT of PE teachers. I doubt they would miss one of them.

Thanks for feedback
justabitoutside Wrote:He is an up and coming coach that players want to play for. They have 16 wins this season which is more than any other team in the 14th.

JBS record before he got there:
9-20 2013-2014
11-16 2012-2013

JBS record since he got there:
16-6 This season so far
12-10 2014-2015

Young coaches won't have a lot of post season victories, but you can look to see where they were before he got there and where they are now.

Don't know why I'm taking any of your bait but I'll bite. If you want to do this then let's take a look at the other side.

SV record before Hicks
14-14 In 2012-2013
15-12 in 2011-2012

*failed to make regional tournament both years

SV record since he got there
2014 - 20-11 (District champs/Regional runner up)
2015 - 18-13 (District champs/All A Region Champs)
2016 - 15-5 (All A Region Champs)

Looks like he's doing a good job to me, and most teams would enjoy this level of success. Why wouldn't you be proud of the players and team for their successes?

For someone to be preaching ethics you do an amazing job of being hypocritical. You said you are tired of recruiting by Hicks, yet get all excited at the thought of players from the outside coming to play of Justice coached.

Aside from Evans attempting to come play here, exactly what antics have taken place? Carr was going to follow Hicks regardless of where he went. I think that speaks more positive about him than negative.

Not sure what to say about your last post, but to be talking about doing things the "right" way and then say that you can just let a teacher go to hire Elisha or pretty much illegally create a job speaks volumes about how much doing things the right way matters to you.

Looks like a pretty personal issue that you have to me. Anytime someone mentions things like renting a house, applying for other jobs (Remember a guy named Booher that did the same thing?), and being embarrassed by a coach that gets upset with refs is grasping at straws.

Good luck to you though.
Alfus,

You are correct on the record from last two to these three. Greg Newsome did have a regional championship though.

I guess my point was being looked into too closely or I didn't do a good job explaining. My two points I was trying to make from the thread was to say:

1. SV fans are not enjoying going to games and listening to Hicks yell to the top of his lungs entire game at players, refs, etc. If you have been to some of SV games you know exactly what I am talking about. His anger often takes him out of the game and he forgets about coaching the boys. He represents SV every where he goes and it is hard to be proud of that. Again, if you have watched a game, you know what I mean.

2. SV fans would love to see Elisha come back and coach his old school. I would love to see two Mr. Basketballs coach at SV. That would be awesome!

On another note, I wasn't saying I support Pike Co. creating jobs, etc. I was just saying if they want him they would create a job for him.
alfus21 Wrote:Don't know why I'm taking any of your bait but I'll bite. If you want to do this then let's take a look at the other side.

SV record before Hicks
14-14 In 2012-2013
15-12 in 2011-2012

*failed to make regional tournament both years

SV record since he got there
2014 - 20-11 (District champs/Regional runner up)
2015 - 18-13 (District champs/All A Region Champs)
2016 - 15-5 (All A Region Champs)

Looks like he's doing a good job to me, and most teams would enjoy this level of success. Why wouldn't you be proud of the players and team for their successes?

For someone to be preaching ethics you do an amazing job of being hypocritical. You said you are tired of recruiting by Hicks, yet get all excited at the thought of players from the outside coming to play of Justice coached.

Aside from Evans attempting to come play here, exactly what antics have taken place? Carr was going to follow Hicks regardless of where he went. I think that speaks more positive about him than negative.

Not sure what to say about your last post, but to be talking about doing things the "right" way and then say that you can just let a teacher go to hire Elisha or pretty much illegally create a job speaks volumes about how much doing things the right way matters to you.

Looks like a pretty personal issue that you have to me. Anytime someone mentions things like renting a house, applying for other jobs (Remember a guy named Booher that did the same thing?), and being embarrassed by a coach that gets upset with refs is grasping at straws.

Good luck to you though.

Comparing apples and oranges.

2012 Newsome, Belter, Richardson, Hamilton, Swindall were either starters or major role players. Took a lot of losses that season but played good teams from Louisville, Ashland, and Indianna.
2013 add Grant Counties best player to that crew, play a couple tough tournaments but get good draws since they are hosted by your uncle or buddy and do well, and finish runner up in region.
2015 add East Ridge's best player to them minus Belter but add Wright who is this years second leading scorer, but only play very easy schedule to keep the coaches wins up so people like you can compare apples and oranges years down the road, but the team pays for in the region with a 40 pt spanking if I remeber correct.
2016. All summer long Play 5th year senior and make calls for more instead of developing younger players to go with Swindall (regions best player) and Wright (top 10 regional player) but only end up with East Ridges 3rd best player getting eligible. But no need for coach to worry because he has 11 guarenteed wins for one to boast about later as part of their 20 win season. Jenkins twice, Piarist twice, Phelps twice, Prestonsburg three times, South Floyd twice. In fact Johnson Central and East Ridge are the only teams they have beat that have winning records but East Ridge has also scheduled a lot of easy wins.

That type of decison making by the coach is bad. More worried about his resume than the kids or the future of the program. In two years from now people like you can talk about how he took a 15-12 team and got 20 wins out of them and leave out the transfers and the weak scheduling. But the kids and the fans still have to get beat by 40 in the regional tournament.
Guess I’ll give your post a shot Scribbles.

Scribbles Wrote:Comparing apples and oranges.

2012 Newsome, Belter, Richardson, Hamilton, Swindall were either starters or major role players. Took a lot of losses that season but played good teams from Louisville, Ashland, and Indianna.

I like Greg Newsome so don't get me wrong when I point this out. In 2012, they played zero teams from Indiana, zero teams from the 11th Region (Lexington), 1 team from "Ashland" in Boyd County (11-19), 1 team from the 6th Region (Doss), and 1 from the 7th Region (Central).

They also played Piarist (twice), Phelps (twice), 0-31 Riverside Christian, and 6-24 Monticello.

You sure you want to compare schedules again?

2013 doesn't look much better.

By the way, Piarist is a required part of the schedule unfortunately now. It wasn't required on the 2012 schedule.

There are only 5 other teams with a winning record in the 15th this year. Might have to do a lot with why they have limited wins over teams with winning records (Johnson Central, South Floyd, East Ridge)

Scribbles Wrote:2013 add Grant Counties best player to that crew, play a couple tough tournaments but get good draws since they are hosted by your uncle or buddy and do well, and finish runner up in region.

Yeah, his Uncle hooked him up with a match against Louisville Male in the first round of his tournament at Scott County. Real nice draw. Not to mention they played Lexington Christian (18-12) that year at Scott County as well earlier in the season. Not sure what any of that had to do with finishing runner up in the Region in his first year but that's a good thing by the way.

Scribbles Wrote:2015 add East Ridge's best player to them minus Belter but add Wright who is this years second leading scorer, but only play very easy schedule to keep the coaches wins up so people like you can compare apples and oranges years down the road, but the team pays for in the region with a 40 pt spanking if I remeber correct.

The 2015 schedule was no easier or harder than what SV has always done. I see another district title and All A Region Title regardless of the record. They were spanked by JC in Regional tournament. Most teams were/would have been.

Scribbles Wrote:That type of decison making by the coach is bad. More worried about his resume than the kids or the future of the program. In two years from now people like you can talk about how he took a 15-12 team and got 20 wins out of them and leave out the transfers and the weak scheduling. But the kids and the fans still have to get beat by 40 in the regional tournament.

How do you know he is more worried about his resume than the kids or the program? If anything threads like this illustrate why he would be worried about his own future at Shelby Valley.

I wasn't trying to compare him to previous years, just doing it to prove a point that he is keeping them competitive and not ruining the program as some people say. You can complain all you want about losing in Regional Tournament to Johnson Central like he has both years he has been there, but nobody was going to beat them the last 2 years just like nobody will beat Lawrence County this year. Speaks highly that they have been eliminated by the eventual Region champ both years.

Do I like the guy? Yes. But I am also driven by statistics and accomplishments and can see things in an unbiased way. And based on what I see he is keeping them competitive despite a lack of support from a small number of fans who hide behind screens instead of taking the issues to him themselves.

That being said, we’re all entitled to our own opinions on all coaches. It’s part of it, and what makes it so frustrating/rewarding to coach at the same time.
Scribbles Wrote:Comparing apples and oranges.

2013 add Grant Counties best player to that crew, play a couple tough tournaments but get good draws since they are hosted by your uncle or buddy and do well, and finish runner up in region.
2015 add East Ridge's best player to them minus Belter but add Wright who is this years second leading scorer, but only play very easy schedule to keep the coaches wins up so people like you can compare apples and oranges years down the road, but the team pays for in the region with a 40 pt spanking if I remeber correct.
2016. All summer long Play 5th year senior and make calls for more instead of developing younger players to go with Swindall (regions best player) and Wright (top 10 regional player) but only end up with East Ridges 3rd best player getting eligible. But no need for coach to worry because he has 11 guarenteed wins for one to boast about later as part of their 20 win season. Jenkins twice, Piarist twice, Phelps twice, Prestonsburg three times, South Floyd twice. In fact Johnson Central and East Ridge are the only teams they have beat that have winning records but East Ridge has also scheduled a lot of easy wins.

That type of decison making by the coach is bad. More worried about his resume than the kids or the future of the program. In two years from now people like you can talk about how he took a 15-12 team and got 20 wins out of them and leave out the transfers and the weak scheduling. But the kids and the fans still have to get beat by 40 in the regional tournament.

You hit the nail on the head! You can't hide who you play now because of the KHSAA scoreboard. Everyone can see he has played mostly cupcakes everywhere he has been to try to get a nice record.

Hicks dropped the one team that was good on his remaining schedule this year, PERRY CO. CENTRAL, so he could keep his cupcakes. Beating Phelps 40 the night before you lose to Pikeville by 15 doesn't do you any good for your team. What coach wouldn't cancel a Phelps cupcake game so he could practice the day before a huge district game?

Hicks pads his record so he can get his resume ready for spring job openings. He has done it at Greenup, Bath, Grant, and now SV. The KHSAA scoreboard doesn't lie if you look them up.

Again, I don't even care about that part of it although I commented on it. Mainly his 32 minutes of Yelling to the top of his lungs, letting refs take him out of the game and constant recruiting trying to be like his uncle just get on mine and every other SV fans nerves to the point you can't enjoy SV basketball anymore.

Thanks for comments.
justabitoutside Wrote:You hit the nail on the head! You can't hide who you play now because of the KHSAA scoreboard. Everyone can see he has played mostly cupcakes everywhere he has been to try to get a nice record.

Hicks dropped the one team that was good on his remaining schedule this year, PERRY CO. CENTRAL, so he could keep his cupcakes. Beating Phelps 40 the night before you lose to Pikeville by 15 doesn't do you any good for your team. What coach wouldn't cancel a Phelps cupcake game so he could practice the day before a huge district game?

Hicks pads his record so he can get his resume ready for spring job openings. He has done it at Greenup, Bath, Grant, and now SV. The KHSAA scoreboard doesn't lie if you look them up.

Again, I don't even care about that part of it although I commented on it. Mainly his 32 minutes of Yelling to the top of his lungs, letting refs take him out of the game and constant recruiting trying to be like his uncle just get on mine and every other SV fans nerves to the point you can't enjoy SV basketball anymore.

Thanks for comments.

Good luck to you on grinding that ax bud. Might do ya a little better to go talk to somebody about it in person, but that's just me. :Thumbs:

For now just try to muster up the courage to support "your" team the rest of the season, though I know how difficult that will be for you with all the yelling and screaming. Maybe you and Elisha can sit and hold hands and sing songs on the bench together one day when he is coach and high five the refs each time they come down the court.
alfus21 Wrote:Good luck to you on grinding that ax bud. Might do ya a little better to go talk to somebody about it in person, but that's just me. :Thumbs:

For now just try to muster up the courage to support "your" team the rest of the season, though I know how difficult that will be for you with all the yelling and screaming. Maybe you and Elisha can sit and hold hands and sing songs on the bench together one day when he is coach and high five the refs each time they come down the court.

Alfus,

Are you saying there is hope Elisha is coming home Confusedinglepar? Greg Napier and Hicks knows fully how we feel, believe me! I couldn't help Elisha or anyone else there coach. I just enjoy going to the games.
1. I like Hicks as a person, but like many coaches he can improve in several areas.

2. I would never dog someone on the religious/spiritual front. There is a higher power who can do that. I respect both Hicks and Justice as far as that goes.

3. I would LOVE to see Justice as coach at SV, but I am afraid that ship has sailed...from what I have gathered, last year would have been the prime time to make that jump and for whatever reason it was not done.

4. I sure hope Elisha is not a Panther soon...

5. No matter what, I will remain a true blue fan. Go Valley! #wildcatpride
Lleyton21 Wrote:1. I like Hicks as a person, but like many coaches he can improve in several areas.

2. I would never dog someone on the religious/spiritual front. There is a higher power who can do that. I respect both Hicks and Justice as far as that goes.

3. I would LOVE to see Justice as coach at SV, but I am afraid that ship has sailed...from what I have gathered, last year would have been the prime time to make that jump and for whatever reason it was not done.

4. I sure hope Elisha is not a Panther soon...

5. No matter what, I will remain a true blue fan. Go Valley! #wildcatpride

1. Elisha is getting free room and board.
2. He is getting free education
3. Hos wife is getting a free education.
4. He is getting paid to coach inly, not teaching necessary.

Thats why he didn't take the jump. Even using conservative figures all that is worth about $50,000 a year to just coach basketball. He is also getting experience and winning some games in a much tougher region. Who in there right mind would leave that to come to Valley or anywhere else in the 15th for that matter.
Coach Justice still has 2 yrs left at Jbs. That's what I was told. Must have signed a contract.
I am confused! How could he and his wife survived if he had become the coach at SV last year if he is not a teacher,I thought he graduated college already. Sounds like he is in a great spot right now--- free,free,free! He can get any players he wants (no recruiting problems). How old is he now? Has he proven he can coach? Wondering how his coaching abilities will look when in a public school?
His coaching is not bad but he still has that player in him and until he gets rid of that his coaching ability will be average. Hedid get his degree and is a legit teacher and his wife. I tthink he's 25 don't know how old his wife is. He will not be a great coach until he gets rid of his player attitude.
Thanks phantasia I misread what Honest Critic posted I quess. They said he was not getting paid as a teacher. I personally think everyone is putting too much on him too fast. He may in time be a coach that people will be bidding on but not yet there. I am saying that he needs to prove himself first and the position he is in currently is not a good measure of his ability. I may be wrong,but I feel JBS is comparable to a put together AAU team. Sorry in advance if this offends anybody at JBS.
Honest Critic posted he and his wife were getting "a free education." I was thinking he may have gotten a degree from UPike in a non education field and maybe as part of the deal at JBS he may be able to take the classes that he needs for an education degree at Alice Lloyd.
The guy who can't stand seeing the coach yell at the referees reminds me of the traveling salesman on Andy Griffith who hated the sound of ringing doorbells.
Mjolnir Wrote:Thanks phantasia I misread what Honest Critic posted I quess. They said he was not getting paid as a teacher. I personally think everyone is putting too much on him too fast. He may in time be a coach that people will be bidding on but not yet there. I am saying that he needs to prove himself first and the position he is in currently is not a good measure of his ability. I may be wrong,but I feel JBS is comparable to a put together AAU team. Sorry in advance if this offends anybody at JBS.

You are missing the point of BGR if you are worried about offending anyone. lol. Yes he received an undergrad degree from U-Pike in communications/ business so in these part may as well have been University Studies. So yes receiving education degree from Allice Lloyd. But no he is not a "legit teacher" as Fantaysia says nor seek employment as one in a public school until he passes his certification test. Guess thats why Justabitoitside is now going after Frankie Smith, lol.
Whatever Elisha does he will be fine. He is a Class act and a great young man
Elisha's dad owns a business right down the street from SV. Who says he has to be a teacher to coach. Work for dad, hang out at the school and run the basketball program.

Hicks is taking some bumps in the road recently. Blown out by Pikeville and Belfry beats SV Saturday in convincing fashion.

Don't worry he has Piarist and Jenkins this week to get him a few more cupcake wins.:flame:
This thread is straight up comedy. People get upset for this reason or that and go on a personal vendetta that makes them look like they're going after a kid who stole their lunch. Justabitoutside and their attempt to defame Hicks is beyond weak. Upset about yelling at the refs. lmao
Is Hicks still treating his schedule like he is Alabama football with the buy games?

While at Bath County & Grant County he would schedule teams and pay them to come play him out of his budget.

I know he paid Piarist to come to Bath County & Dayton Independent to come to Grant County.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Elisha at Pikeville High School in the near future.
Platinum & Gold Wrote:Is Hicks still treating his schedule like he is Alabama football with the buy games?

While at Bath County & Grant County he would schedule teams and pay them to come play him out of his budget.

I know he paid Piarist to come to Bath County & Dayton Independent to come to Grant County.

I think he played those teams in his first year at each school and the previous coach and AD already had a schedule in place. I don't know about the pay to come and play and doubt that you "know" it to be true unless you saw it with your own eyes.
In retrospect and intrigued by previous posts,I first thought this is an angry parent,but then decided if it were a parent with this much animosity they would surely go straight to the coach and confront him. Justabitoutside seems to know a lot about things there at SV. What kind of jobs does Elisha's dad have open? Is he hiring?
Considering Elisha's former Coach is now AD @ Pikeville AND Elisha's Brother is Junior High Head Football Coach @ Pikeville AND Bart is on the hot seat.....Stevie Wonder could see where Elisha is headed if he leaves JBS