Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did your school get their Colors & Mascot?
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't ever remember Cumberland having light blue on their uniforms, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Cawood was Carolina Blue, Red and White.

It could've just been women's basketball or something John Bond came up with. Maybe they were trying to copy UT's women's basketball with the light blue trim. I could be totally wrong but I swear I think I remember that.
Sheldon Clark's colors are actually Red, White, and Blue. Maybe they were feeling patriotic, too. Smile
Some drunk did not know the difference between orange and yellow and we are now the Yellow Jackets but colors are orange and white.
HAROLD Wrote:It could've just been women's basketball or something John Bond came up with. Maybe they were trying to copy UT's women's basketball with the light blue trim. I could be totally wrong but I swear I think I remember that.

That sounds exactly like something John Bond would do!!

LOL
Well there were committees for EVERYTHING when HC started up. The school colors were chosen by committee as well as the mascot. Well, the first mascot was a Knight! LOL The Harlan County Knights!!! After one year of protests, another meeting was called and this old gentlemen addressed the crowd by saying that he had lived in these mountains for 73 years and had never seen the first "knight" roaming around. LOL He suggested we change the mascot to the coal miners, the rattlesnakes or the black bears!

The rest is history.

Oh, and there's history with each of the mascots that he suggested, too. Coal Miners is obvious and the holler where the school was built used to be called rattlesnake holler. Black bears just live there! Smile
E's Army Wrote:Some drunk did not know the difference between orange and yellow and we are now the Yellow Jackets but colors are orange and white.

I've never understood Williamsburg.

Change it to the Orange Jackets. Or just 'jackets'. Imagine Duke being Red and white, yet being the Blue Devils. Or Corbin being green while still being called the RedHounds.

If an actual color is in your nickname, it should be in your colors.
Old Jumper Wrote:Somerset's nickname until October of 1916 was simply the "Wildcats," but after they scored 51 points against the Louisville High School (now Louisville Male) famed "Briar Patch" defense, Louisville sportswriter Johnny Head likened Somerset's players to "Brer Rabbit" from the old Uncle Remus tale about the briar patch.

They've been "Briar Jumpers" ever since.

I too love this story. They adopted the Purple and Gold due to the high school was once a Masonic College. They gave the building to the city later for a library which wound up being used for a public school. They kept the colors of the Freemasonry of Purple and Gold as tribute.

I wish I could find the article to link here.
I know both schools I'm about to mention aren't KY Schools, but 1 was mentioned above
in regards to Belfry. I have always heard that pre-1950's Belfry did indeed have a slightly
"off maroon" and some older relatives of mine confirmed this (graduates in 1940's)

Williamson High School Wolfpack (WV)-Maroon and White
Mingo Central High School Miners (WV)-Carolina Blue and Black

Williamson's color story I strangely do not know, however Maroon and White were the
two most widely used. In the 70's and 80's, a bright gold was used on several band and
basketball uniforms and it was certainly a different look (Sorta Bourbon County-ish).
Shortly after the gold though, several shades of silver were used by WHS.
The Mascot story is pretty cool though....in the early 1920's the football coach at the time
was Frank Wolf. One of the local papers that was covering a game stated the "Coach Wolf
and his pack of young men came in to the game well prepared...." and thus the Wolfpack name was born. Evidently, up until that point, the school had no mascot.

As for Mingo Central, my class (Class of 2012), was given the opportunity to vote on the
school colors and mascot name our junior year before we consolidated. We had 4 "Finalists" for each:

Colors-
Carolina Blue and Black
Burnt Orange and White
Forest Green and White
Black and Gold

Mascots-
Miners
Tribe
Indians
Spartans
I just think it was because the insect is a yellow jacket and not that they were planning on calling themselves after the color of the nickname. Back then, no one ever heard of someone calling themselves "Blue Jacket", "Orange Jacket" or anything other than just the name of the nickname such as the insect Yellow Jacket. I'm not fond of it, but it is what it is... been that way as long as I can remember.

Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I've never understood Williamsburg.

Change it to the Orange Jackets. Or just 'jackets'. Imagine Duke being Red and white, yet being the Blue Devils. Or Corbin being green while still being called the RedHounds.

If an actual color is in your nickname, it should be in your colors.