Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Maher Rankings 1/3
The Kentucky boys basketball Maher Rankings have been posted for first time in the 2015-16 season. Only our second year for boys basketball, so go easy on us, but let us know what you think.

http://www.maherrankings.com

Join us on Twitter too for updates, comments or questions:
https://twitter.com/MaherRankings
Terrible, not one mountain team to be found, and Cov Cath 3rd is laughable . Mercer county way too low
Noticed South Laurel ahead of Clay.
Cov Cath is about as fundamentally sound team there is. Now I understand fundamentals mean nothing now and that's not what win ball games or championships (Ask Billy Hicks about them). Rankings are rankings. Nothing matters until March anyway. Plus I don't see any "Mountain School" making it past the 1st round of the Sweet 16.
checkmate9113 Wrote:Cov Cath is about as fundamentally sound team there is. Now I understand fundamentals mean nothing now and that's not what win ball games or championships (Ask Billy Hicks about them). Rankings are rankings. Nothing matters until March anyway. Plus I don't see any "Mountain School" making it past the 1st round of the Sweet 16.

Might be better to wait on the pairings before saying who will do what.
Check out the graph on the page below.

Maher Rankings | Kentucky High School Basketballrankings Kentucky | rankings, Kentucky | KY, Kentucky

The vertical lines represent the end of each season. The system peaks at about 82-84% prediction rate each season for boys basketball. However, it gets there at about the mid-point of each season, not the end. It kind of levels off after that. We aren't quite to the midpoint yet this season, so you can see we are still in the mid to high 70's in terms of prediction rate, but you will see it climb in the next week or two.

Some of the complaints above may work themselves out in that time if they are justified. If not, they won't! For me, looking at the results, I kind of agree the verdict is still out on CovCath being so high. They are clearly good, maybe not #3, we'll see. Mercer's schedule thus far leaves them a little wanting still. Their top wins: #29 South Laurel, #43 Montgomery County, #47 Dixie Heights, #49 Madison Central. #8 for Mercer doesn't seem too high.
As a 12th region fan, I think Mercer is too low. I know that you're defending it based on formulas but two other formula based rankings have them 1st and 5th.
First, wow. Who has them first?
I continue to question any rankings that Has Cov Cath ranked as high as they are in this rankings and not having Cooper either ahead of them or right behind them.

The continued snubbing of Cooper who not only beat Cov Cath but beat them soundly is ridiculous. OK, lets say because it was early in the season that maybe Cov Cath just wasn't ready, lets not give Cooper an ounce of respect for that game and just shrug it off as yet a mirage of what the program is really all about. Lets act as if that was the biggest upset in HS Basketball history and Cooper couldn't do it again in a million years, but then you have to look at what happened last night.

Cov Cath got again manhandled by a Cincinnati Moeller team who is ranked #2 in Cincinnati. OK, well Moeller is a great team and is probably the best team Cov Cath will face this season, but wait!!!!!! What else happened last night? Elder who is the #1 team in Cincinnati faced Cooper last night. So the 2 best teams in Cincinnati and Elder being ranked as high as 1 or 2 in the state of Ohio in some rankings, played 2 of the best teams in NKY last night. Moeller beat Cov Cath with little problem while Elder LOST to Cooper....yes that is right, they LOST to Cooper last night. Cooper handed Elder their first loss of the season Yet people still snub Cooper and in this joke of a rankings themselves have Cov Cath ranked 8 spots higher than Cooper.

I'm not saying Cov Cath shouldn't be ranked #3, but you have to have Cooper ranked either #2 or at the lowest #4 or 5. I think cov Cath is ranked too high myself. I'm not saying Cooper is #2 in the state, what I'm saying is they are better thus far than Cov Cath and if you have Cov Cath ranked #3 then you have to have Cooper ranked just as high or higher at this point. Wherever you rank CCH you need to think about if you put Cooper there would it be too high or not because the reality is Cooper is and should be ranked higher than CCH right now.

Let's not even get into strength of schedule where according to this ranking Cooper also has a tougher schedule than Cov Cath and still has 2 less losses after last night than Cov Cath.

Why make a ranking when you know nothing about the teams you are ranking?
Well put Hbird.
SoccerMath Wrote:First, wow. Who has them first?

Courier Journal Litkenhous system. Lex Herald Leader version has them 4th. Associated Press also has them #1 though that's based on media votes not math.