Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current KHSAA FOOTBALL CLASSIFICATION
Beechwood was good but not as good as what they were played out to be. Yes injuries hurt teams but they had trouble with a Holy Cross team who was no powerhouse. I would put them on the level of Hazard, Fairview, Raceland, and Russellville.

Then they played Russellville who is 1 dimensional and beat them by 9. Russellville racked up 300 yards on the ground.

A Pikeville and Mayfield game would of been a dandy. I think the game could go either way but I will say this like people said against Beechwood, that Mayfield wouldn't of seen a back like Pugh all season.
:
bac2369 Wrote:Beechwood was good but not as good as what they were played out to be. Yes injuries hurt teams but they had trouble with a Holy Cross team who was no powerhouse. I would put them on the level of Hazard, Fairview, Raceland, and Russellville.

Then they played Russellville who is 1 dimensional and beat them by 9. Russellville racked up 300 yards on the ground.

A Pikeville and Mayfield game would of been a dandy. I think the game could go either way but I will say this like people said against Beechwood, that Mayfield wouldn't of seen a back like Pugh all season.

Just so y'all will shut up I'll wave the flag.:igiveup: Mayfield didn't see any good rbs. I guess Jacob Smith, and zyaire Hughes are not very good. Maybe y'all should tell UK Hughes is overrated since he aint better than Pugh. I guess Pugh must be going to bama if he is better than a UK committ that runs a 4.4 40.
killbilly usmc Wrote::

Just so y'all will shut up I'll wave the flag.:igiveup: Mayfield didn't see any good rbs. I guess Jacob Smith, and zyaire Hughes are not very good. Maybe y'all should tell UK Hughes is overrated since he aint better than Pugh. I guess Pugh must be going to bama if he is better than a UK committ that runs a 4.4 40.
He said "a back LIKE him". Not faster. Pugh had 40+ less carries than Smith and more yardage by a long shot, and doubled him up on TDs. Hughes no doubt was faster, but Pugh was a special blend of power and speed. Don't have to take my word for it, just go look at the videos of him pulling away from DBs, etc. 11.4 100 meter time is nothing to sneer at for an almost 220lb RB. Pugh is a special player is all he said.

You need to just accept that it's okay for other fan bases to be proud of players they have or have seen and not take it as an affront to the almighty Mayfield Cardinals.
PHSForever Wrote:He said "a back LIKE him". Not faster. Pugh had 40+ less carries than Smith and more yardage by a long shot, and doubled him up on TDs. Hughes no doubt was faster, but Pugh was a special blend of power and speed. Don't have to take my word for it, just go look at the videos of him pulling away from DBs, etc. 11.4 100 meter time is nothing to sneer at for an almost 220lb RB. Pugh is a special player is all he said.

You need to just accept that it's okay for other fan bases to be proud of players they have or have seen and not take it as an affront to the almighty Mayfield Cardinals.

Mayfield d was better than last year, and held crider to under a hundred last year. He was every bit the back of Pugh and then some led the state last year rushing, and led his team to a close runner up in 5a. No doubt Pugh is a good back, but its comical how everyone always thinks they have something Mayfield hasn't seen and can't handle. Mayfield has seen plenty of fast and heavy backs.
You all just have no concept of the level of players Mayfield had on their schedule. Its comical.
Mayfield was 6-1 vs the top 5000 teams in America and Pikeville was 2-2 with one of those being a gift from Cash Daniel.
Enjoy your trophy.
If you want to put the big boy pants on call Mayfield up and replace Corbin on their schedule.
:popcorn:
killbilly usmc Wrote:Mayfield d was better than last year, and held crider to under a hundred last year. He was every bit the back of Pugh and then some led the state last year rushing, and led his team to a close runner up in 5a. No doubt Pugh is a good back, but its comical how everyone always thinks they have something Mayfield hasn't seen and can't handle. Mayfield has seen plenty of fast and heavy backs.

Crider and Pugh is an excellent comparison and very fair, FWIW

I will say though that Pikeville had better secondary options than Crider had with Graves. It truly was an one man show.

Battaile is a much better QB than Graves' and the Charles boys were an upgrade at their positions.

That Graves team is one of the weakest teams to reach the State Finals in recent years (especially for non-1A teams)..I still cannot fathom how they upset Bowling Green who was clearly the best team in 5A IMHO last year. Goes to show how any team can lose on a given night.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Crider and Pugh is an excellent comparison and very fair, FWIW

I will say though that Pikeville had better secondary options than Crider had with Graves. It truly was an one man show.

Battaile is a much better QB than Graves' and the Charles boys were an upgrade at their positions.

That Graves team is one of the weakest teams to reach the State Finals in recent years (especially for non-1A teams)..I still cannot fathom how they upset Bowling Green who was clearly the best team in 5A IMHO last year. Goes to show how any team can lose on a given night.

I'm usually right with you. I might be reading too much into this so if I am excuse me. The 5A runner up last year had a great defense and 5A depth to go with Crider. They would have beaten this years Pikeville by a few td's at least.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Crider and Pugh is an excellent comparison and very fair, FWIW

Exactly. That's why, IMO only, that while it was a great accomplishment for Mayfield to hold him under 100, being that he was the whole show basically, that made it somewhat easier to focus on shutting him down. I'm NOT knocking Mayfields defense, just saying it's easier to shut a team down when they don't have a variety of options that have to be respected. THATS why I think Pikeville would have beaten Mayfield this year. We did an excellent job of establishing other players after the Belfry game, and from that point on, became a more well rounded team and it allowed Pugh, Slone, Vanderbeck, the Charles boys, etc to flourish even more. Of course, without the line, nothing happens. Those boys were rocks this year.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Mayfield was 6-1 vs the top 5000 teams in America and Pikeville was 2-2 with one of those being a gift from Cash Daniel.
Enjoy your trophy.
If you want to put the big boy pants on call Mayfield up and replace Corbin on their schedule.
You can call it a gift all you want. They were lucky to win the first game with him, and we're not going to win the second game with or without him. Kash is a phenomenal player and I wish him well at the next level.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Mayfield d was better than last year, and held crider to under a hundred last year. He was every bit the back of Pugh and then some led the state last year rushing, and led his team to a close runner up in 5a. No doubt Pugh is a good back, but its comical how everyone always thinks they have something Mayfield hasn't seen and can't handle. Mayfield has seen plenty of fast and heavy backs.

What's comical is how you have already forgotten the gifts and miracles you received from Williamsburg last year. This year Mayfield got one legit TD in the finals against a team Beechwood drilled, nobody is scared of Mayfield.
jetpilot Wrote:What's comical is how you have already forgotten the gifts and miracles you received from Williamsburg last year. This year Mayfield got one legit TD in the finals against a team Beechwood drilled, nobody is scared of Mayfield.

You should send a thank you note to the khsaa for putting Mayfield in 2a so y'all could cakewalk to a title against a bunch of wounded teams. Yes Beechwood beat ncc, but they wasn't healthy when y'all played Beechwood. Stringer is a very good back. Go ahead and say it didn't matter that he was hurt. It was a close game for 3 qrtrs. I bet Pikeville couldn't have won without Pugh in the lineup. That's exactly what it was like for Beechwood without stringer. Notice I picked Beechwood before season to win title? Did you also notice that a couple days before title game I said I wanted to change my pick and pick Pikeville since stringer was out? That ought to tell you how much of a difference he was. Calpreps says Mayfield would beat Pikeville, and they went 87 percent in the state of kentucky this season. They got 5 of 6 title games right. Only 1 they got wrong was 1a game, but its understandable since that computer doesn't know a 3 year starting rb was out.
Let me know Pikeville fans when y'all beat a good team that aint missing there all stars. Oh wait to late season is over. Pikeville is luckiest team ever to get to play semis and finals against 2 teams that are missing there star players.
jetpilot Wrote:What's comical is how you have already forgotten the gifts and miracles you received from Williamsburg last year. This year Mayfield got one legit TD in the finals against a team Beechwood drilled, nobody is scared of Mayfield.

Well Mayfield only needed 8 points to win finals this year you can take that other 7 off if it makes you feel better, but I believe 10 points is more than 7. Glad you aint scared of Mayfield I'd hate for you to lose sleep. As far as Williamsburg goes last year I don't have no problem with the other team Mayfield is playing in the finals making mistakes. I wouldn't lose any sleep if every team Mayfield ever played again made a lot of mistakes. I'd rather be lucky than good. Have a happy Holliday everyone, and let's come back and argue again next season.
Wonder how many of Pikeville's 500+ yards Stringer would have prevented?Confusednicker: And 6 TDs? Mayfield wouldn't have put up 6 offensive TDs on that team Beechwood drilled if they would have played all weekend.:hilarious:
killbilly usmc Wrote:Let me know Pikeville fans when y'all beat a good team that aint missing there all stars. Oh wait to late season is over. Pikeville is luckiest team ever to get to play semis and finals against 2 teams that are missing there star players.

C'mon Killbilly, you know better than that. comments like this is why we were hoping all players would be healthy, and at full strength in the semis, and the finals.
Just reading and, boy, this is one stupid thread.

Both sides haha. It must be the offseason for people to get fired up about something that will never happen.
It is easy to talk about beating up a bully when he moved to a bigger yard. The fact is Mayfield moved up and teams in Class A benefitted from it. The fact that Mayfield moved up in class, defeated the defending champion of that class, and won a state championship tells me that they would have been a legitimate favorite had they stayed in Class A. Could Pikeville have beaten Mayfield this season? Who knows but there really is no point in arguing over a game that will never happen.
This thread is so stupid. Mines bigger, nu uh, mines bigger. Oh yeah, well my dad could beat up your dad. Bunch 9 year olds....
zebra'seyes Wrote:This thread is so stupid. Mines bigger, nu uh, mines bigger. Oh yeah, well my dad could beat up your dad. Bunch 9 year olds....

It's called speculation. Happens in sports a zillion times a day. If you let that get on your nerves you are probably wound too tight.
Go to one class
Fix a power system based on strenth of sched and record

Let Khsaa pick so many teams from and area and let the playoffs start
killbilly usmc Wrote:Name 1 team Pikeville beat that was as good as ocath or desales. You cant but y'all keep insisting on how Pikeville would have beat mayfield. Best team y'all beat was a wounded Beechwood, and a wounded paintsville. People keep insisting on judging mayfield off 1 game in finals. 1a teams had there chances the last 3 years and couldn't beat mayfield. Time to move on and quit worrying about mayfield. Easy to flap those gums when your team doesn't have to line up to back it up.
Isn't that what you are doing by saying that Mayfield would have beaten Pikeville?
Whats so funny to me is this has turned into a PHS/MHS pissing contest of what ifs. The thread topic has NOTHING to do with either team, had nothing to do with any team really. About halfway through the first page it turned into a kicking of the dead horse of how many classes there are vs level competition vs how many should make the playoffs. Now we have shifted gears and the Mayfield vs Pikeville dead horse from a year ago hath been revived!!! What else is there to do though? Goina be a fun off season full of this kind of crap and i love it! Hope everyone has a Merrihappy Christmahonukawanza, hope i didnt leave anyone out! Happy holidays to all!
I dont know if you will find many more hard headed fans than Pikeville or Mayfield fans. Thats saying something coming from a Raceland guy!!!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I dont know if you will find many more hard headed fans than Pikeville or Mayfield fans. Thats saying something coming from a Raceland guy!!!
Don't you DARE lump us in with you titanium-skulled Rams fans! Lol.
Is this thread about classification or whose the best in 1A or 2A, just asking?
killbilly usmc Wrote:Considering mayfield won by 10 that adds up to they still would have won by 3. Outside of that fact is besides the 1 busted coverage on ncc only touchdown I don't remember ncc ever crossing midfield again in the 2nd half and they had many possesions. Mayfield also nelt down and run clock out at end of game with the ball deep in ncc territory. They also opted to not take an easy fg on another possession late in the game which I'm sure they would have went for if ncc had of scored again. You also have the fanthom block in the back called on mayfield 1yard td run that took 7 away. The post that someone said mayfield would have won was not a mayfield fan. No one from mayfield had ever disrespected Pikeville, but this is about the 5th time I've seen a pikeville fan say they would have beat mayfield like it was a guarantee. Sure the title game was not mayfield Best showing, but look at what desales, and o Cath had done to opponents this year and mayfield beat them. They always would rise to the occasion when the game was on the line against tough opponents. It would have been Easy to say o Cath would have beat mayfield by comparing there final scores against murray since o Cath beat murray way more convincingly, but when o Cath got mayfield head to head they couldn't beat them. Mayfield trailed 7 games this year and never flinched. Like I said I would have never made a comment about Pikeville, but since I've seen the constant have at mayfield by yalls fans I'll say congratulations on yalls title even though y'all never beat a good team all year long that had there star players in the game. Only good team y'all played that wasnt wounded was paintsville the 1st time y'all played them and y'all lost.
You mention Pikeville only beat some teams because those teams were "wounded" without good players. I will remind you that in the Owensboro Catholic game(Mayfield won 23-14), OC was without two way player tight end, defensive end(because of BS unsportsmanlike conduct call in previous game). For sure would have made a difference. An I know turnovers are part of the game, but OC had 4 turnovers in Mayfield game.
Start a new thread for Pikeville/Mayfield discussions.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:First of all, we can almost all agree (judging from so many post on the topic), that a 6 class system in a state with under 200 schools playing football, is over the top. That being said, it seems that the playoffs were alot more competitive across the state. Is that a just a fluke or, is it even 6 class system, the KSHAA got things cleaned up a bit? Your thoughts?
To get this thread back on topic, and assauge Real Bad Mans' soul, yes, probably one of he more competitive years since going to 6 classes. No, it will not change. Although the state is gaining some in population, it is centered around already large centers so I would say 6 classes is here to stay.