Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current KHSAA FOOTBALL CLASSIFICATION
First of all, we can almost all agree (judging from so many post on the topic), that a 6 class system in a state with under 200 schools playing football, is over the top. That being said, it seems that the playoffs were alot more competitive across the state. Is that a just a fluke or, is it even 6 class system, the KSHAA got things cleaned up a bit? Your thoughts?
There's actually 221 teams in Ky that play football, but, still, 6 classes is a lot for that few a teams.. I've always thought the 4 class system was better.. Not sure I'd call the playoffs all that competitive with no games ending under double digit differences.. 6a, 4a, 3a were all blowouts, so, 1/2 the championship games weren't competitve and even the other 3 were 14, 14 and 10 point spreads..
:HitWall: Every year this debate starts. Every time it has been put to a vote, the coaches have picked this system. The KHSAA says it is not changing.
Sorry, that should have said less than 300 schools...fat fingers...small iphone keys...too lazy to proof read lol, i digress.
thecoacher Wrote::HitWall: Every year this debate starts. Every time it has been put to a vote, the coaches have picked this system. The KHSAA says it is not changing.

This thread isnt for debating the system. Just curious on everyones thoughts, regaurding if this was the most competitive year since the 6 class system began.
It's hard to understand the KHSAA , seems they error on the side of to many class's for football but baseball and basketball they have 1 . Take Raceland for example football is the only sport they have a shot a winning a state title in , baseball and basketball they don't have a chance at all seems like they would kind of even things out for all sports
I think there should be 4 classes in football. I do agree with the format for Basketball and Baseball however. Using classes for basketball takes away the pageantry of the Sweet 16 and takes away how special that weekend is.
I don't mind the 6 classes. After the changes this year I think it was better. I just love football and 6 championship games are more fun than 4... Just because it is changed to 4 classes does not mean the championship games will be closer
I, personally, like the 6 classes. More chances for success and more$$$ for everyone. Some schools have a chance to make it to the finals in the 6 class system that would not in the 4 class system.

Let's be honest the 6 class system was created to pacify the people that wanted to separate the privates.
I believe it should go back to 4 classes. Get rid of the cupcake teams. Play offs are for teams unseated or 1 loss. Maybe 2. I'm 100 yesrs old lol. But I remember we only had to play 3 playoff games to win state. And the teams we played were undefeated or only had one loss.
I like the current system because it not a true six class system. Only the 32 smallest school are in 1a and only the 32 largest schools are in 6a. If not for the current class system Pulaski county, bowling green, and many other large public schools wouldn't have won titles in the last 10 years. (I know the 6 class system hasn't been around for ten years yet). And they also wouldn't have the opportunity to compete moving forward. Also I don't think it is a coincidence that the number of players the state of Kentucky sends to the college level has risen since the six class system was put into place.
I don't see anything wrong with the 6 Class System. Just more playoff football to watch. I am old school and liked the top two teams in each district advancing but in the overall scheme of things a team only has to win one additional game to win the region and make the final four so I say let them play. The 1 vs 4 match ups are not usually going to be very good but some are. And the 2 vs 3 match ups cam be very interesting. What's wrong with allowing players to play and get one extra game in before the season is over. Let em play ball.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I like the current system because it not a true six class system. Only the 32 smallest school are in 1a and only the 32 largest schools are in 6a. If not for the current class system Pulaski county, bowling green, and many other large public schools wouldn't have won titles in the last 10 years. (I know the 6 class system hasn't been around for ten years yet). And they also wouldn't have the opportunity to compete moving forward. Also I don't think it is a coincidence that the number of players the state of Kentucky sends to the college level has risen since the six class system was put into place.

I think Bowling Green would still have had some success in the 4-class system, but I do agree that teams like Pulaski, Central, DeSales and some others maybe wouldn't have had the playoff success that they've had over the past few years.

Personally, I preferred the 4-class system when only the district champs and district runners-up made the playoffs. But I don't see the genie ever getting put back in the bottle at this point.
If KHSAA went to 4 class system eastern ky wouldn't have had a state champion this year . Mayfield would've beat pikeville and south Warren beats Belfey if Pikeville and Brlfey made it that far so being a Raceland fan I'm a big fan of the 6 class system
Like I said. I played 100 years ago. Or so it seems. My senior year we played Ashland in first game. Then Belfry in the next. Then Hopinsville for state. I think all might have been undefeated. But no more than one loss if they were undefeated. It was the best against the best back then. Not that way now. My Jr year we lost 2 games and never made the playoffs. My sophomore year we played Ashland first. Then Hazard. Then Richmond Madison for state. I played for Highlands
anotherfootballnut Wrote:If KHSAA went to 4 class system eastern ky wouldn't have had a state champion this year . Mayfield would've beat pikeville and south Warren beats Belfey if Pikeville and Brlfey made it that far so being a Raceland fan I'm a big fan of the 6 class system
No, Mayfield would not have beat Pikeville this year.
First thing I will admit is that I don't follow football like I use to. The one thing I think should be changed (6 classes or 4 classes) is that 4 teams from each district make the playoff. It should be the top 2 teams from each district. Finals should be last weekend of November. We should not be playing football in December.
If ive said it once, ive said it a thousand times.

The KHSAA should have went to five classes, not four.

If you break down the numbers, it would be by far the most fair and competitive system the state could possibly produce.
6 classes are great. My guestion is why are football fans arguing for less football? It's been only a benefit to all involved. Good job KHSAA!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If ive said it once, ive said it a thousand times.

The KHSAA should have went to five classes, not four.

If you break down the numbers, it would be by far the most fair and competitive system the state could possibly produce.

Glad u said it gut. Saved me from typing!! I should have known the direction this thread would have gone lol. But since the dead horse has began getting kicked around again...

think there is more competition in the 6 class system. I do however think its crazy that there are still one or two teams left out of the playoffs bc they finished last in their district, while an 0-10 team from another, who finished last in theirs as well, gets to play one more game of football. I think the district champ and or the champ+runner up, should be the only ones in the playoffs.
PHSForever Wrote:No, Mayfield would not have beat Pikeville this year.

Name 1 team Pikeville beat that was as good as ocath or desales. You cant but y'all keep insisting on how Pikeville would have beat mayfield. Best team y'all beat was a wounded Beechwood, and a wounded paintsville. People keep insisting on judging mayfield off 1 game in finals. 1a teams had there chances the last 3 years and couldn't beat mayfield. Time to move on and quit worrying about mayfield. Easy to flap those gums when your team doesn't have to line up to back it up.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Name 1 team Pikeville beat that was as good as ocath or desales. You cant but y'all keep insisting on how Pikeville would have beat mayfield. Best team y'all beat was a wounded Beechwood, and a wounded paintsville. People keep insisting on judging mayfield off 1 game in finals. 1a teams had there chances the last 3 years and couldn't beat mayfield. Time to move on and quit worrying about mayfield. Easy to flap those gums when your team doesn't have to line up to back it up.
Oh I'm sorry. I forgot that Mayfield posters decide when someone can have an opinion.

I simply responded to another poster saying Mayfield WOULD have beat Pikeville. That was THEIR opinion, and I stated mine. No gum flapping there. Y'all were lucky to have a crew of refs muff an easy call on what should have been a touchback that killed any chance NCC had at another drive. No matter how you look at it, that call was a momentum changer. Not saying NCC would have won, but as tight as the game was, they COULD have if not for Mayfield getting the gift TD.
Belfry could more than match up with South Warren. Pirates would have been favored in this one. Been a long time since Mayfield lost to a 1A team. It would have been a great game but Mayfield would have been favored.
PHSForever Wrote:Oh I'm sorry. I forgot that Mayfield posters decide when someone can have an opinion.

I simply responded to another poster saying Mayfield WOULD have beat Pikeville. That was THEIR opinion, and I stated mine. No gum flapping there. Y'all were lucky to have a crew of refs muff an easy call on what should have been a touchback that killed any chance NCC had at another drive. No matter how you look at it, that call was a momentum changer. Not saying NCC would have won, but as tight as the game was, they COULD have if not for Mayfield getting the gift TD.

Not trying to upset anyone it was just my opinion . Just like I think Raceland with what they have coming back has a good shot at getting BG and bringing home a title next year but if there was 4 class's I don't think they would
PHSForever Wrote:Oh I'm sorry. I forgot that Mayfield posters decide when someone can have an opinion.

Considering mayfield won by 10 that adds up to they still would have won by 3. Outside of that fact is besides the 1 busted coverage on ncc only touchdown I don't remember ncc ever crossing midfield again in the 2nd half and they had many possesions. Mayfield also nelt down and run clock out at end of game with the ball deep in ncc territory. They also opted to not take an easy fg on another possession late in the game which I'm sure they would have went for if ncc had of scored again. You also have the fanthom block in the back called on mayfield 1yard td run that took 7 away. The post that someone said mayfield would have won was not a mayfield fan. No one from mayfield had ever disrespected Pikeville, but this is about the 5th time I've seen a pikeville fan say they would have beat mayfield like it was a guarantee. Sure the title game was not mayfield Best showing, but look at what desales, and o Cath had done to opponents this year and mayfield beat them. They always would rise to the occasion when the game was on the line against tough opponents. It would have been Easy to say o Cath would have beat mayfield by comparing there final scores against murray since o Cath beat murray way more convincingly, but when o Cath got mayfield head to head they couldn't beat them. Mayfield trailed 7 games this year and never flinched. Like I said I would have never made a comment about Pikeville, but since I've seen the constant have at mayfield by yalls fans I'll say congratulations on yalls title even though y'all never beat a good team all year long that had there star players in the game. Only good team y'all played that wasnt wounded was paintsville the 1st time y'all played them and y'all lost.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Considering mayfield won by 10 that adds up to they still would have won by 3. Outside of that fact is besides the 1 busted coverage on ncc only touchdown I don't remember ncc ever crossing midfield again in the 2nd half and they had many possesions. Mayfield also nelt down and run clock out at end of game with the ball deep in ncc territory. They also opted to not take an easy fg on another possession late in the game which I'm sure they would have went for if ncc had of scored again. You also have the fanthom block in the back called on mayfield 1yard td run that took 7 away. The post that someone said mayfield would have won was not a mayfield fan. No one from mayfield had ever disrespected Pikeville, but this is about the 5th time I've seen a pikeville fan say they would have beat mayfield like it was a guarantee. Sure the title game was not mayfield Best showing, but look at what desales, and o Cath had done to opponents this year and mayfield beat them. They always would rise to the occasion when the game was on the line against tough opponents. It would have been Easy to say o Cath would have beat mayfield by comparing there final scores against murray since o Cath beat murray way more convincingly, but when o Cath got mayfield head to head they couldn't beat them. Mayfield trailed 7 games this year and never flinched. Like I said I would have never made a comment about Pikeville, but since I've seen the constant have at mayfield by yalls fans I'll say congratulations on yalls title even though y'all never beat a good team all year long that had there star players in the game. Only good team y'all played that wasnt wounded was paintsville the 1st time y'all played them and y'all lost.

Wow !!!! That's about as disrespectful as you could be to a very good pikeville team ,which I watched beat Paintsvlle and while watching that game it didn't matter if Kash had played or not pikeville was gonna win, just as you stated your mayfield team wouldn't be denied well that pikeville team was just that .: just like mayfield , pikeville beat every team that was put in front of them in the playoffs. How about just saying congrats and go on , no need to try and disrespect a team by saying they didn't best anyone
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Not trying to upset anyone it was just my opinion . Just like I think Raceland with what they have coming back has a good shot at getting BG and bringing home a title next year but if there was 4 class's I don't think they would
And I wasn't upset. Just to be clear. Just stated my opinion. Killbilly decided to make in rant-worthy. Lol.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Considering mayfield won by 10 that adds up to they still would have won by 3. Outside of that fact is besides the 1 busted coverage on ncc only touchdown I don't remember ncc ever crossing midfield again in the 2nd half and they had many possesions. Mayfield also nelt down and run clock out at end of game with the ball deep in ncc territory. They also opted to not take an easy fg on another possession late in the game which I'm sure they would have went for if ncc had of scored again. You also have the fanthom block in the back called on mayfield 1yard td run that took 7 away. The post that someone said mayfield would have won was not a mayfield fan. No one from mayfield had ever disrespected Pikeville, but this is about the 5th time I've seen a pikeville fan say they would have beat mayfield like it was a guarantee. Sure the title game was not mayfield Best showing, but look at what desales, and o Cath had done to opponents this year and mayfield beat them. They always would rise to the occasion when the game was on the line against tough opponents. It would have been Easy to say o Cath would have beat mayfield by comparing there final scores against murray since o Cath beat murray way more convincingly, but when o Cath got mayfield head to head they couldn't beat them. Mayfield trailed 7 games this year and never flinched. Like I said I would have never made a comment about Pikeville, but since I've seen the constant have at mayfield by yalls fans I'll say congratulations on yalls title even though y'all never beat a good team all year long that had there star players in the game. Only good team y'all played that wasnt wounded was paintsville the 1st time y'all played them and y'all lost.
Just have to agree to disagree. Nothing personal. As I said, I never disrespected Mayfield, I stated my opinion. You're certainly entitled to your own. Some of your fans have whined about "phantom" face mask calls, and now this "phantom" block in the back coming from you. But I've not seen one single Mayfield fan acknowledge A) the refs screwed up the touchback call, and B) that that call had an impact on the game, potentially. Maybe you all are the ones being disrespectful of other teams by not giving them the credit they deserve for having played you all tough.
Only 2 teams from each district would clean up the blowouts. The 6A has the biggest balance problem, after the District games maybe they should be seeded regardless of travel? Just saying maybe.
i like the idea of ranking the teams and 1-20 get in and play and I know there would always be a issue with the #21 team but 99.999 % of the time if your not a top 10 team chances of winning a title are very slim