•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 42 Beechwood 28 (1A State Championship)
Spud6 Wrote:That's a good question. Is Daric Pugh getting any looks from colleges?
The only thing I've heard for SURE (only because he's quoted by a reporter), is that he had heard from Marshal earlier. Beginning to wonder if they step up their interest with Baker's decommit? Definitely said he wanted to hear from EKU and UK as well in the same article.

Other than that, I've heard speculation that he doesn't want to play college football. I've NEVER heard that confirmed though. So it is purely a RUMOR floating out there until he says it himself. But I hope he gets a shot if he wants one. Special talent.
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Lol. I know you will! Pikeville will take em anyway they can get em and I'm not blaming them! As for "not making a 19 point difference" we'll can't truthfully say that even though that seems to be what pikevilles fans are saying! To be truthful! It's a completely different game a no one will ever know but it will always be one of those things in people's minds since Paintsville played down the first game and still came out with the W over the Panthers! Like I said before. The stars alined perfectly for the Panthers! That not knocking anyone! Your boys did it! All they could do is beat the teams in front of them and they did just that! Hats off to them! The only thing I do hate to see is the lack of effort towards getting Pugh's foot in the door at the next level! That kid should have had close to the amount of buzz as Kash did! Trimble just got an offer yesterday from Morehead, phelps just had visits from Marshall and Vandy! Pugh deserves multiple offers from D1 schools! Kid is as good of an athlete as anyone in this state! Really hope to hear things about him soon!

Isn't Morehead non scholarship?
PHSForever Wrote:The only thing I've heard for SURE (only because he's quoted by a reporter), is that he had heard from Marshal earlier. Beginning to wonder if they step up their interest with Baker's decommit? Definitely said he wanted to hear from EKU and UK as well in the same article.

Other than that, I've heard speculation that he doesn't want to play college football. I've NEVER heard that confirmed though. So it is purely a RUMOR floating out there until he says it himself. But I hope he gets a shot if he wants one. Special talent.

I've heard the same rumor and if that's true then that's his decision but something tells me with the type of player he is and how clearly he plays so much heart he would like to continue touching the football as long as possible. Hoping anyway. I'd like to watch more of him!
Gargamel Wrote:Isn't Morehead non scholarship?

Yes, but it's hard to explain. They say they want you to come play for them and try and help you out in other financial ways but you are correct they do not give scholarships.
Pikeville down 17-14 to Paintsville and put up 28 in a row to put the game away in a huge way.
Pikeville down 21-14 to Beechwood and put up 28 in a row to put the game away in a huge way.
These boys weren't going to be stopped. Period.
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville down 17-14 to Paintsville and put up 28 in a row to put the game away in a huge way.
Pikeville down 21-14 to Beechwood and put up 28 in a row to put the game away in a huge way.
These boys weren't going to be stopped. Period.

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to convince everyone else as long as you believe it that's all that really matters! Congrats Pikeville! Now Belfry and JC needs to bring it Home!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:I wouldn't worry so much about trying to convince everyone else as long as you believe it that's all that really matters! Congrats Pikeville! Now Belfry and JC needs to bring it Home!

Nope. All that really matters is who has the hardware.
To paraphrase the great philopsher Dewane Jonson: IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT BEECHWOODS FANS THINK!
I agree with what you said in another post . "That was a Paintsville problem"
( no Kash ), and now a Beechwood problem (no Stringer). No pun intended.
'
Congratulations coach Chris McNamee and the Pikeville Panthers, 1A state champs!
A couple of things now that I've had a few days to think about some things.

1. If you go back the first game against Hazard, this game was almost a carbon copy of that one. Pikeville jumps out early, Hazard was able to get some things going and steal the momentum back. Then just as it looked as if Pikeville may be in trouble, they mash the gas pedal to the floor and put the game away....Sound Familiar?

2. This was 1991 all over again....but in reverse. In '91 a very tough Pikeville team and community playing a Beechwood team they had dominated for the better part of a decade. It's safe to say they and their fan base came in WAY too overconfident and Beechwood kicked their teeth in. Fast forward to '15. A Beechwood fan base who the majority of were either too young to remember or weren't even born yet the last time Pikeville beat Beechwood came in way too overconfident and Pikeville kicked their teeth in....
I was at that 91' game, and was stunned how RB Brandon Berger just ran all over the Pikeville defense. I think everyone on the Pikeville side was stunned because we just couldn't stop him. To sum it all up, we AS FANS depended on the newspapers for information, and what we were told. No informational highway like we have today with the internet, and sports forums. Got to agree as well to the fact that the Panther fan base was overconfident in that game, and we realized the results. BTW, understand Brandon Burger is an assistant coach on the Beechwood team this season.
Big Five-0- Wrote:I was at that 91' game, and was stunned how RB Brandon Berger just ran all over the Pikeville defense. I think everyone on the Pikeville side was stunned because we just couldn't stop him. To sum it all up, we AS FANS depended on the newspapers for information, and what we were told. No informational highway like we have today with the internet, and sports forums. Got to agree as well to the fact that the Panther fan base was overconfident in that game, and we realized the results. BTW, understand Brandon Burger is an assistant coach on the Beechwood team this season.
So is Greg Hergott, who was the QB on the '94 Beechwood team that beat us my senior year. Didn't know Berger was an assistant as well....That makes it even SWEETER!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Great job Panthers!

Really happy for Big Five-O, Hail Pikeville, Panther Thunder, and jetpilot.

Already looking forward to that Panther Thunder youtube video!

The turning point was the last play of the 3rd Quarter. Beechwood had all the momentum leading 21-14 and facing a key 3rd and Long Pikeville dumped the pass to Blake Charles who went 67 yards.

Pikeville's D railled on the momentum to get a stop, then McNamee said "Bring It!" and lined up under Center and just brought the power game and Beechwood had no answer.

Now let's see if Belfry and Pikeville can change it from "Title Town" to "Title County" moving forward!
Thanks, EKU! Been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier that it was Beechwood on the other end of it!!!

I will post some more thoughts through out the week. Still a little overwhelmed. Just going through trying to update some records and this and that as well as some video work.

Just a random stat that made me smile, Pikeville outscored opponents this year by FIVE HUNDRED POINTS. 708-208. (Not Male or anything, but pretty good!)

One of the records set was a PHS Record for points in a Playoff series and PPG in a playoff series: 258 Points, 51.6 PPG!! Billy J had the offense clicking midway through the year and peaking at the right time! Great job by Johnson, Johnson, & Huff! And what a job Paul Sullivan has done since taking over the Defense. The fastest, hardest-hitting Panther team in a long time! Forcing a boat-load of turnover, falling just shy of entering the state record book at the minimum end for INTs! Tony Mullins did a great job with the DL. Became much more disciplined throughout the season and was really playing lights out against the year by the end of the year.

More to some soon!
I'm probably one of the older ones on here. Been watching Pikeville football since 1972. Had several different fan bases on here telling us we were "no longer relevant" and that we needed to "knock the dust off your trophies". That stuck with me because, to a certain point, they were true. But this Junior and Senior group are one of those special groups you hear about from time to time. Got to broadcast them winning the County Jr High Tournament (didn't have State Finals for Jr High back then). Shut Belfry Middle out three times that year, including a 6 - 0 championship game at CAM that is still one of the best overall football games I've ever seen. Every time this bunch played, Panther Thunder and I were having to dive into the Pikeville Record Book to see what old record had fallen. I really thought we had missed our chance for a State title last year, but these players and this coaching staff committed themselves to taking them one at a time and holding each other accountable for excellence. It wasn't a spotless season, but I think this team learned from both losses and used it as fuel. I am SO PROUD of this group of Panthers - not just for winning State Title #4, but the way they carried themselves the entire year. If I had a son, I would have no trouble with him looking up to any of these players and coaches. They represented their school and community with class. And I am especially thrilled for Coach McNamee, the example of class. It's been a magical season and I am so humbled to have gotten to help broadcast their games. Truly living the dream.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Thanks, EKU! Been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier that it was Beechwood on the other end of it!!!

I will post some more thoughts through out the week. Still a little overwhelmed. Just going through trying to update some records and this and that as well as some video work.

Just a random stat that made me smile, Pikeville outscored opponents this year by FIVE HUNDRED POINTS. 708-208. (Not Male or anything, but pretty good!)

One of the records set was a PHS Record for points in a Playoff series and PPG in a playoff series: 258 Points, 51.6 PPG!! Billy J had the offense clicking midway through the year and peaking at the right time! Great job by Johnson, Johnson, & Huff! And what a job Paul Sullivan has done since taking over the Defense. The fastest, hardest-hitting Panther team in a long time! Forcing a boat-load of turnover, falling just shy of entering the state record book at the minimum end for INTs! Tony Mullins did a great job with the DL. Became much more disciplined throughout the season and was really playing lights out against the year by the end of the year.

More to some soon!

Thanks Panther Thunder for these facts.......amazing !! Cannot close out without saying "can't wait to see Panthers championship highlights" :Thumbs:
Live Maroon Wrote:I'm probably one of the older ones on here. Been watching Pikeville football since 1972. Had several different fan bases on here telling us we were "no longer relevant" and that we needed to "knock the dust off your trophies". That stuck with me because, to a certain point, they were true. But this Junior and Senior group are one of those special groups you hear about from time to time. Got to broadcast them winning the County Jr High Tournament (didn't have State Finals for Jr High back then). Shut Belfry Middle out three times that year, including a 6 - 0 championship game at CAM that is still one of the best overall football games I've ever seen. Every time this bunch played, Panther Thunder and I were having to dive into the Pikeville Record Book to see what old record had fallen. I really thought we had missed our chance for a State title last year, but these players and this coaching staff committed themselves to taking them one at a time and holding each other accountable for excellence. It wasn't a spotless season, but I think this team learned from both losses and used it as fuel. I am SO PROUD of this group of Panthers - not just for winning State Title #4, but the way they carried themselves the entire year. If I had a son, I would have no trouble with him looking up to any of these players and coaches. They represented their school and community with class. And I am especially thrilled for Coach McNamee, the example of class. It's been a magical season and I am so humbled to have gotten to help broadcast their games. Truly living the dream.

Great post, and appreciate these words.......so true !
When we going to be getting a youtube highlight of the championship game Panther Thunder? Been waiting for it!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Thanks, EKU! Been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier that it was Beechwood on the other end of it!!!

More to some soon!

Here's some "Hidden Stats" of interest on just how good our Starting Defense really was. Take away the 2 Kent Phelps kick returns against Paintsville, which isn't on the D. (DANG IT WALLS!!! LOL) The "Garbage Time" TD late in the 4th against Beechwood. The late TDs on the JV against Hazard, Williamsburg, and Lynn Camp. The Starting Defense only gave up 38 points the entire playoffs! An average of 6.3 points per game. The only team that eclipsed 200 yards of total offense against our starting D was Beechwood. With those numbers, this group was flirting with the '88 "Big Dawgs", statistically speaking.....
Beechies on the other site have really amped up the whining...saying Stringer and Soward being out would be like Pugh and B. Charles being out.Confusednicker:. Never thought I would see the day they would whine smh. I wouldn't trade Pugh and B. Charles for 2 of each of those Beechwood players.:truestory:
I wouldn't either JP.
Spud6 Wrote:When we going to be getting a youtube highlight of the championship game Panther Thunder? Been waiting for it!
Hopefully not too long, but I want to do it right and I have a lot to keep me occupied until Christmas Break, maybe a nice Christmas Present for the Good People :biggrin:
Panther Thunder Wrote:Hopefully not too long, but I want to do it right and I have a lot to keep me occupied until Christmas Break, maybe a nice Christmas Present for the Good People :biggrin:

Smart man!
jetpilot Wrote:Beechies on the other site have really amped up the whining...saying Stringer and Soward being out would be like Pugh and B. Charles being out.Confusednicker:. Never thought I would see the day they would whine smh. I wouldn't trade Pugh and B. Charles for 2 of each of those Beechwood players.:truestory:
Excuses are for losers....Champions make none even in defeat....
jetpilot Wrote:Beechies on the other site have really amped up the whining...saying Stringer and Soward being out would be like Pugh and B. Charles being out.Confusednicker:. Never thought I would see the day they would whine smh. I wouldn't trade Pugh and B. Charles for 2 of each of those Beechwood players.:truestory:
I don't know why but this what I hear when I hear Beechwood fans whining.....

Beechie excuse of the day: "We had a 15 year-old DB trying to tackle their 19 year-old RB."Confusednicker: In the words of HP, "That's a Beechwood problem, not a Pikeville problem!"
jetpilot Wrote:Beechie excuse of the day: "We had a 15 year-old DB trying to tackle their 19 year-old RB."Confusednicker: In the words of HP, "That's a Beechwood problem, not a Pikeville problem!"

And our QB who threw 3 TD passes is also 15....
"The big loss comes from loosing Soward. As the starting fullback he was a viable option out of the backfield...running catching and blocking."

Yet another Beechie excuse lol...
According to Khsaa Soward had 42 yds rushing and no TDs in 14 games.
248 receiving yds and 1TD...they didn't report tackles but he had no interceptions or fumble recoveries.

Beechwood fans making excuses and whining is new to me but I am loving it.:biggrin:
Congrats to Pikeville on their State title. Well deserved. This team worked hard since last year and was determined to not let anything get in their way of nothing less than a state title. The most focused group of young men I have ever seen. They will go down in history as one of the best Pikeville teams.

Reference to all the talk about teams not having a player, all I'm going to say is Lol! Years from now all you will remember is Pikeville 2015 class A state champs. Beechwood and Paintsville both use not having a player as an excuse. Pikeville lost one of it's best returning players this year in Senior Kory Stevens. A lot was going to be expected of him and I was looking forward to seeing him play. One of the fastest returning players. He would of made a difference this year. So instead of making excuses Pikeville dedicated their season to 14. The rest is history...
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Congrats to Pikeville on their State title. Well deserved. This team worked hard since last year and was determined to not let anything get in their way of nothing less than a state title. The most focused group of young men I have ever seen. They will go down in history as one of the best Pikeville teams.

Reference to all the talk about teams not having a player, all I'm going to say is Lol! Years from now all you will remember is Pikeville 2015 class A state champs. Beechwood and Paintsville both use not having a player as an excuse. Pikeville lost one of it's best returning players this year in Senior Kory Stevens. A lot was going to be expected of him and I was looking forward to seeing him play. One of the fastest returning players. He would of made a difference this year. So instead of making excuses Pikeville dedicated their season to 14. The rest is history...

Very well said ! :Thumbs:
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next