Poll: Who Advances to Bowling Green?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
82.35%
Corbin
17.65%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin @ Belfry State Semifinal 11/27
To add to actual conversation - talked with someone earlier and mentioned this and wanted to bring it up. It can't be overstated how importance the return of Kalob Whitt has been to this offensive line. Big strong kid who packs a punch and has really strengthened up an already stout front. I didn't really realize it until the past week but he's made a huge difference for us.

Another big surprise for us has been Chase Runyon. He's really stepped into that "big" nose guard role for run stuffing that it seemed we were helplessly trying to find early on. He has been starting lately and is a really nice piece to have, and he's only a sophomore.
Corbins best quality win is bell county.
Belfrys is Knoxville Catholic.
Corbins worst loss is to Knox central..
Belfrys is Cabell Midland.

Belfry by 42
bucslover68 Wrote:At least the RIUTG side of pjdoug talks some actual football. Doug is the only poster on BGR that has NEVER had an actual game analysis quote recorded so for that we present him a...:1: ridiculous.

Here's some analysis. Corbin should stay home where it's warm Smile
bucslover68 Wrote:At least the RIUTG side of pjdoug talks some actual football. Doug is the only poster on BGR that has NEVER had an actual game analysis quote recorded so for that we present him a...:1: ridiculous.

I stood on the sideline and watched RIUTG play.He is much younger,and gives you too much slack :biglmao:
I actually think Corbin matches up pretty well with the Pirates. I'm not saying the Red hounds are the better team, but they do match up well. Corbin is big, strong, and they like to run the ball. Also, Corbin has a pretty solid defense. Belfry will be the favorite and deservingly so, but I think this will be a very competitive game. The key is winning the turnover battle. If Belfry puts the ball on the ground, Corbin has a chance. If Corbin puts the ball on the ground, they have zero chance of pulling off the upset. Good luck to Coach Haddix and the Corbin Red hounds!!!
^^^Turnovers and penalties will play a factor no doubt.
No disrespect at all to Corbin they are here because they are good enough. But with that being said Corbin hasn't been hit like there going to get Friday night. Belfry hopes Corbin's QB throws the ball down field. They will not run on the defense. Belfry's secondary has improved 100%. It's not going to be pretty, Belfry will be sending a message to the next team. Belfry 42 Corbin 14 and the 14 won't be until the 4th QT
Manononamission Wrote:No disrespect at all to Corbin they are here because they are good enough. But with that being said Corbin hasn't been hit like there going to get Friday night. Belfry hopes Corbin's QB throws the ball down field. They will not run on the defense. Belfry's secondary has improved 100%. It's not going to be pretty, Belfry will be sending a message to the next team. Belfry 42 Corbin 14 and the 14 won't be until the 4th QT

:happysmile:
Having watched Corbin now..

Corbin is a good team, but they simply don't have the big play potential on either side of the ball that Belfry has.

Don't think this is the blowout many expect. Belfry is better in essentially every box, but Corbin actually has the size and depth to not let Belfry overwhelm them in those categories like Belfry usually does to teams.

Wellman hasn't had to punt very much in the past 6 or 7 weeks. Corbin will get some stops and make him work. I just think belfry makes too many critical big plays on each side of the ball

Belfry 35-14 in a game that is never really put away until late when Corbin gets desperate.
pjdoug Wrote:I stood on the sideline and watched RIUTG play.He is much younger,and gives you too much slack :biglmao:

You watched us win a lot of football games as did you.
How times have passed
Pjdoug would smoke you WV guys. He was ever bit as good as uncle rico.

[Image: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/napo...0117222806]
Corbin plays keep away.
Scrambles the qb all day.

Wins 22 to 21

Where's Cherokee and the other corbin guy that talks smack. You've never had a better opportunity thenot with the 437 Belfry fans waiting.
Tale of the Tape: 3A Eastern Semi Final

Note: All rankings and SOS numbers used are based on Cal-Preps computer models. All Stats exclude Regional Championship Games

Belfry Pirates

Coach: Philip Haywood
2015 Record: 12 - 1 (National #656 - 13.8 SOS)
Combined Opponent W/L Record: 89 - 54
Best Win: (National #968) Knoxville Catholic (Knoxville, TN) (38-14)
Best Loss: (National #266) Cabell Midland (Ona, WV) (49-7)
Opponents Still Playing:(WV#1) Cabell Midland, (TN#28) Knoxville Catholic, (KY#22) Johnson Central, (KY#47) Newport Central Catholic, (KY#54) Pikeville

Points Scored: 588
Points Allowed: 188

Rushing Yards: 3565
Rushing Yards Allowed: 1274
Passing Yards: 516
Passing Yards Allowed: 1285

Takeaways: 29 (15 Fumb Rec, 14 Int)
Defensive Touchdowns: 6

Offensive Leaders:
Passing:
#6 Noah Corbett - QB Rating 85 | 11 for 29 Passes | 400 Yards | 7 TD

Rushing:
#3 HB Xondre Willis - 73 Carries for 951 yards | 12 TDs
#1 FB Andrew Fletcher - 99 Carries for 646 yards | 11 TDs
#5 FB Derek Wellman - 76 Carries for 512 yards | 8 TDs
#10 HB Camron Catron - 52 Carries for 485 yards | 6 TDs

Recieving:
#3 HB Xondre Willis - 4 Catches for 184 yards | 4 TDs
#10 HB Camron Catron - 5 Catches for 115 yards | 2 TDs

Defensive Leaders:
Tackles: 50+
82 - #11 Nate Sanger
73 - #5 Derek Wellman
69 - #10 Cam Catron
68 - #23 Ray Horton
62 - #20 Chase Dove
50 - #44 Cole Bentley

Interceptions: 2+
4 (2 TD) - #15 Devin Varney
3 - #13 Justin Adkins
2 (1 TD) - #27 Austin Woolum
2 - #10 Cam Catron

Fumble Recoveries: 2+
3 - #10 Cam Catron
2 - #13 Justin Adkins
2 - #11 Nate Sanger

X factors and Other Notes:
Belfry,s Kicking game in both field goals and punting are top notch.

Austin Woolum is all over the place for this team, playing Offense, Defense and Special Teams. He covered USC recruit Amari Rogers very well when Belfry played Knox Catholic has 36 tackles, 2 int with 1 for a TD. He is the long bomb threat if and when Belfry chooses to go to it and is the measure of reliability on extra points. Probably the best Belfry kicker I can recall over the years. It will be Woolums leg that is the most valuable on Black Friday as his ability to pin opponents deep on kickoffs have created long fields all season long.

During Belfry's toughest stretch (Week 3 - 7 ) of the season the Pirates went 4 -1 but were plagued with the turnover bug. Fumbling the ball more than 15 times over a two game stretch. In there week 7 win over Lawrence Co they put the ball on the ground 10 times, loosing it 7 of those times. This appeared to be fixed in their Regional Championship win over Lawrence but you can bet this is an area of concern for the Belfry staff and of opportunity for the Redhounds.

Corbin Redhounds

Coach: Justin Haddix
2015 Record: 9-4 (National #4062 - -0.7 SOS)
Combined Opponent W/L Record: 90-66
Best Win: (National #4288) Bell County (Pineville, KY) (21-14)
Best Loss: (National #1512) Mayfield (KY) (28-14)
Opponents Still Playing:(KY#26) Mayfield, (KY#35) Danville

Points Scored: 336
Points Allowed: 180

Rushing Yards: 2193
Rushing Yards Allowed: 1504
Passing Yards: 1222
Passing Yards Allowed: 1045

Takeaways: 17 (7 Fumb Rec, 10 Int)
Defensive Touchdowns: 0

Offensive Leaders:
Passing:
#16 Cameron Sizemore - QB Rating 91 | 89 for 156 Passes | 1105 Yards | 17 TD

Rushing:
#2 Tucker Jewell - 111 Carries for 755 yards | 3 TDs
#1 Jonah French - 61 Carries for 406 yards | 1 TDs
#16 Cameron Sizemore - 110 Carries for 385 yards | 10 TDs
#15 Drew Carter - 47 Carries for 372 yards | 5 TDs

Recieving:
#85 A. Moore - 39 Catches for 570 yards | 10 TDs
#11 Caleb Mitchell - 15 Catches for 163 yards | 1 TDs

Defensive Leaders:
Tackles: 50+ (None)
47 - #65 Harley Lambert
46 - #31 Dustin Sams
43 - #32 Grant Gibson
41 - #11 Caleb Parker
39 - #8 Cody Evans

Interceptions: 2+
2 - #11 Caleb Mitchell
2 - #28 DJ Murphy
2 - #5 Christian Gosselin

Fumble Recoveries: 2+
3 - #20 Brendon Henegar

X factors and Other Notes:
Corbin appears to have the size and depth needed to hang with Belfry who likes to play deep into their reserves to keep fresh legs on the field.

Sizemore is Corbin. Everything offensively flows through him. Being responsible for 27 of Corbins touchdowns this season with both his legs and his arm give him the tools needed to beat the Pirates. Belfry struggles with mobile quarterbacks who can also throw. Sizemore reminds me of a slightly quicker Tyler Guffey from Wayne Co in 2013.

If Belfry's tough 5 week stretch were scary due to turnovers you would probably call Corbins week 4 - 6 performances a nightmare. While Belfry escaped their gauntlet with only 1 loss, the Hounds came out with a goose egg in the win column (0-3). QB/Center exchange issues plagues the hounds in all three games but the factor most notes in those losses where the speed of Mayfield and Danville. The knock on Corbin all season has been team speed. Have the Redhounds found a way to counteract the speed advantage Belfry should have on the Friday night?
I think Corbin will need to play some player both ways in this game. THIS IS It...THE GAME. :popcorn:
May make the trip to see this one. Would like to see the other Knox team do well but not likely against Belfry.
Dave Diamond
Pound High School Class of '89
Union College Class of '93
U.S. Army Class of '97

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." -Galations 2:20
I got my thinking cap on 1A Raceland beat (Lawrence County and Russell ) 1A Fairview beat ( Bath County ) Johnson County maybe ( overrated ) 1A Paintsville and Pikeville beat ( Pike County Central ) 1A Paintsville and Pikeville beat ( Sheldon Clark ) 3A Belfry beat Lawrence County twice 27-23 and 52-12 my point is in the last 7 games just maybe belfry will over look the Corbin Redhounds because I feel liked Corbin would have beaten any of the above by the same score belfry did. So get ready one of the team in red is going to win for sure. Go Corbin win or lose I will be cheering for the winner in bowling green. :Cheerlead Trying to get everybody thinking different about their predictions. Confusednicker: I'm going to get Confusedmoke:
64SUR Wrote:just maybe belfry will over look the Corbin Redhounds

Coach Haywood will not these boys overlook anyone. Anything can happen on any given night. It's nice to play an old foe in Corbin again, it's been a long time coming. Resurrecting some matchups from the good old days with Russell and Corbin makes it a little more special.
BelfryPride Wrote:Coach Haywood will not these boys overlook anyone. Anything can happen on any given night. It's nice to play an old foe in Corbin again, it's been a long time coming. Resurrecting some matchups from the good old days with Russell and Corbin makes it a little more special.

Coach Haywood is Mr.Football in my book. :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:Coach Haywood is Mr.Football in my book. :Cheerlead

More important than a coach, he is a good man. A very good role model for his team, school and community.
These Belfry boy's are focused. They haven't been to state as many times as they have by over looking. But I can see how people would hope so. Unlike other schools BHS focuses on football year round. So in there off season they are still grinding, foot work, quick drills, wrestling, weights. The biggest doesn't always win. Our boys work around the clock, we sleep, eat, and play football.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin plays keep away.

Wins 22 to 21

Where's Cherokee and the other corbin guy that talks smack. You've never had a better opportunity thenot with the 437 Belfry fans waiting.

I have been looking at a lot of these post and enjoy you and pjdoug supporting your neighbors or giving Belfry fans a rough way to go . The Belfry fans are a lot like the Mayfield fans they have the hardware to back up the smack so really can't talk much smack to them about football. I got to know a lot of these Belfry parents and fans during the Team Kentucky a few years ago and have great respect for them and their program. Most Belfry fans are as red necked as me and I like that about them. I usually don't talk smack unless someone gets on me or my kids and to this point my friends from Belfry have been very respectful.
cherokee Wrote:I have been looking at a lot of these post and enjoy you and pjdoug supporting your neighbors or giving Belfry fans a rough way to go . The Belfry fans are a lot like the Mayfield fans they have the hardware to back up the smack so really can't talk much smack to them about football. I got to know a lot of these Belfry parents and fans during the Team Kentucky a few years ago and have great respect for them and their program. Most Belfry fans are as red necked as me and I like that about them. I usually don't talk smack unless someone gets on me or my kids and to this point my friends from Belfry have been very respectful.

RunItUpThrGut,Pjdoug and Cherokee agreeing on something that's just not right. Confusednicker:
You can't make a prediction about '16 & '17. There are many things that can happen by then. The way the job market is in Ky., heaven forbid any getting injured, families moving from the area...etc. Besides this, Belfry has 8th., 9th., 10th., and 11th. graders who ALL WON the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. They aren't just a one good year team. Come on and don't count on next year. At Belfry the players say "We play one game at a time". They're not even worried or thinking about state yet.
Unless Belfry coughs it up multiple times, I don't see Corbin putting up any points against them. They let a very average Knox County team rush for 400 yards against them and they barely broke 80 yards of total offense. After seeing what belfry did JC and then embarrassing LC last week, I look for belfry to get another running clock this week. They picked a great time of the year to have everybody start peaking for them. Very dangerous group and they seem to be gaining momentum week after week. Good season for Corbin though.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin plays keep away.

Wins 22 to 21

That would be a likely scenario if they had a descent running game they could use to keep belfry contained. Belfry's defensive backs are skilled enough to shut down their passing game, and Corbin doesn't have a "go to" receiver they can isolate. The only thing Corbin is going to do by playing "keep away" is get themselves in a lot of 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 type downs. Besides, Corbin hasn't been very good all year at stopping the run. Corbin's defense is going to be on the field for the majority of the game. Their only really hope is if belfry reverts back to coughing the ball up and even then its going to be very difficult.
baseball1974 Wrote:That would be a likely scenario if they had a descent running game they could use to keep belfry contained. Belfry's defensive backs are skilled enough to shut down their passing game, and Corbin doesn't have a "go to" receiver they can isolate. The only thing Corbin is going to do by playing "keep away" is get themselves in a lot of 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 type downs. Besides, Corbin hasn't been very good all year at stopping the run. Corbin's defense is going to be on the field for the majority of the game. Their only really hope is if belfry reverts back to coughing the ball up and even then its going to be very difficult.

Dam don't be making excuses if belfry reverts back to coughing up the ball. This game hasn't even been play and you are already calling 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 who in the he$$ is calling this game. If you know something about penalty going to be call in this game that just isn't right. Confusederiously:
Football Granny Wrote:You can't make a prediction about '16 & '17. There are many things that can happen by then. The way the job market is in Ky., heaven forbid any getting injured, families moving from the area...etc. Besides this, Belfry has 8th., 9th., 10th., and 11th. graders who ALL WON the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. They aren't just a one good year team. Come on and don't count on next year. At Belfry the players say "We play one game at a time". They're not even worried or thinking about state yet.

Lol....I love your enthusiasm but I'd say those Belfry boys have been thinking and worrying about a state title since season beginning. It's okay. They're kids.
64SUR Wrote:Dam don't be making excuses if belfry reverts back to coughing up the ball. This game hasn't even been play and you are already calling 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 who in the he$$ is calling this game. If you know something about penalty going to be call in this game that just isn't right. Confusederiously:

That won't have anything to do with penalties. Corbin's QB is going to have about 2 seconds before belfry's entire defensive line closes in on him.
baseball1974 Wrote:That won't have anything to do with penalties. Corbin's QB is going to have about 2 seconds before belfry's entire defensive line closes in on him.

2 seconds will be plenty of time I'm thinking more like 3 seconds and that's all the time Corbin will need to score. Read my lips if belfry is in the backfield in 2 seconds I look for a lot of offside calls. Marked that Down Qb Sizemore speaks many language. Huh,huh,huh and huh again. :ref2::ref2::ref1::ref1:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You watched us win a lot of football games as did you.
How times have passed

You got that right.hope to see the program move towards the top.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next