Poll: #1 Paintsville vs Bourbon County
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paintsville
52.38%
Bourbon County
47.62%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2 Paintsville vs Bourbon County 9/25
Bourbon has major trouble against stopping the run. They have had some injuries I believe. They do have a pretty decent passing attack when their receivers are on. Paintsville can run the ball and it could be a long night for the Colonels on defense. Probably gonna come down to a turnover here or there.

Flip a coin
Bourbon 34
Paintsville 28
BigMelon63 Wrote:I've seen both Braxton Ratliff and Chris Allen play. Chris is a better athlete and QB than Braxton Ratliff. The reason that Paintsville will not play Johnson Central is that the Johnson County School system won't schedule Paintsville in elementary or middle school regular season football games. Go troll somewhere else Tomcat. As far as this seasons schedule goes, you would understand how difficult it is to schedule games if you ever coached or had anything to do with football other than running your mouth. It looked like a pretty tough schedule pre-season. 5 teams Paintsville has to play were ranked. A lot of changes coming in this game. I can't wait till Friday!!!
Go Tigers!!!
Go Golden Eagles!!!

That's not true at all Melon, and you know that. The elementary schools not playing each other stuff had been going on for 25 years. Coach Kinner called off the game when it became so one sided that there was no benefit to either school. It made a lot of people mad at the time that the Apple Bowl was discontinued but it was very evident that there was no need for one team to get absolutely hammered and humiliated, while another team did not get a game that would ready them for the playoffs...Remember this was done at a time when Paintsville had a very good 1A program, as I believe they had just come off a regional runner up year that year or a year or so prior....It really was time to move on for both schools. Even a very good 1A program should not be able to compete with a team that was ranked in the top 5 in either 4A or 5A year after year. And that's exactly the way it should be. Nobody wins in this series, and Coach Kinner was able to see that, and he did the right thing.. Lets just be glad and support each other in reveling that both schools are currently ranked #1 in the state in their respective classes and stop the they wont play our 5th grade team stuff as an excuse not to play the game any more...That's just not relevant at all....I hope they never play the Apple Bowl again.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I've seen both Braxton Ratliff and Chris Allen play. Chris is a better athlete and QB than Braxton Ratliff. The reason that Paintsville will not play Johnson Central is that the Johnson County School system won't schedule Paintsville in elementary or middle school regular season football games. Go troll somewhere else Tomcat. As far as this seasons schedule goes, you would understand how difficult it is to schedule games if you ever coached or had anything to do with football other than running your mouth. It looked like a pretty tough schedule pre-season. 5 teams Paintsville has to play were ranked. A lot of changes coming in this game. I can't wait till Friday!!!
Go Tigers!!!
Go Golden Eagles!!!

That is just a straight out LIE Big Melon. The reason Paintsville will not play is very simple. Paintsville felt like they cannot win as long as Coach Matney is the coach. Paintsville got mad acted like a child and took their ball and went home. 2006 56-6, 2005 50-6 & 2004 48-6 three straight beating with Coach Matney as the coach and it was only going to get worse. The beating would be 11 straight if Paintsville had continued to play. I do believe it was best for all not to play but let’s not try to re-wright history.

Roberto Duran "No mas, no mas is the best way to state the reason Paintsville does not play JC.
Bob Seger Wrote:That's not true at all Melon, and you know that. The elementary schools not playing each other stuff had been going on for 25 years. Coach Kinner called off the game when it became so one sided that there was no benefit to either school. It made a lot of people mad at the time that the Apple Bowl was discontinued but it was very evident that there was no need for one team to get absolutely hammered and humiliated, while another team did not get a game that would ready them for the playoffs...Remember this was done at a time when Paintsville had a very good 1A program, as I believe they had just come off a regional runner up year that year or a year or so prior....It really was time to move on for both schools. Even a very good 1A program should not be able to compete with a team that was ranked in the top 5 in either 4A or 5A year after year. And that's exactly the way it should be. Nobody wins in this series, and Coach Kinner was able to see that, and he did the right thing.. Lets just be glad and support each other in reveling that both schools are currently ranked #1 in the state in their respective classes and stop the they wont play our 5th grade team stuff as an excuse not to play the game any more...That's just not relevant at all....I hope they never play the Apple Bowl again.

All true Segar
Go Tigers!!!
Go Golden Eagles!!!

Again BigMelon you words “Chris is a better athlete and QB than Braxton Ratliff" I not sure is true either. I feel it is way too early to make such a statement and I can assure that I have watch both much more then you have. I believe Chris may turn out to be a better football player but Braxton being the better Basketball and Baseball Player.
Go Tigers!!!
Go Golden Eagles!!!

Come on now Melon, that is a little far fetched. I can promise you Johnson County Middle has never turned Paintsville down from playing. I know for a fact they have no games scheduled til October 10 and paintsville is advertising for games.
MR. Slate Wrote:Come on now Melon, that is a little far fetched. I can promise you Johnson County Middle has never turned Paintsville down from playing. I know for a fact they have no games scheduled til October 10 and paintsville is advertising for games.

Middle school is not elementary. Don't know about football but 3rd and 4th grade basketball tried to schedule games and they said no..
I have to agree , I have watched both boys play , Allen may be a better football in the future that Braxton but by far not a better all round athlete. I know players can be replaced and there is a ton of talent in our area but losing Ratliff , his cousin and his brother was a blow to our programs in general , They all were great attributes to our sports in this community
This is me Wrote:Middle school is not elementary. Don't know about football but 3rd and 4th grade basketball tried to schedule games and they said no..

This is me college if JC played Pantsville our grade schools kids would be recruited year round even college has recruiting restriction.
I knew I would ruffle some feathers with that statement. That is what I have been told. The only contact I've had has been in the last 3 years. Only one football game has been played between the schools in that period and it was for a middle school conference championship. It has been discussed between the schools during this time and the only sticking point is that Paintsville wants to be involved in the county elementary championship and play middle school games and JC schools doesn't want to. That is not a lie. I haven't had discussions with the basketball or baseball teams. As for recruiting. Paintsville is in Johnson County and every kid has the option of going to either school. Some city kids go to the county schools and some county kids go to the city schools. It's no big deal to me.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I knew I would ruffle some feathers with that statement. That is what I have been told. The only contact I've had has been in the last 3 years. Only one football game has been played between the schools in that period and it was for a middle school conference championship. It has been discussed between the schools during this time and the only sticking point is that Paintsville wants to be involved in the county elementary championship and play middle school games and JC schools doesn't want to. That is not a lie. I haven't had discussions with the basketball or baseball teams. As for recruiting. Paintsville is in Johnson County and every kid has the option of going to either school. Some city kids go to the county schools and some county kids go to the city schools. It's no big deal to me.

Why would Paintsville want to play in the county championship ? They aren't a part of their school system ? It doesn't make any sense to me. Doesn't Paintsville already play against them in middle school basketball and baseball? I'm not downing you melon but as a whole you would have to do the other sports as well . JMO
Besides this is a thread for the Paintsville vs Bourbon County game. we need to start a new thread for the Paintsville/Johnson County revival games. I love the discussion and we need to continue it.
And in conclusion I'm not downing the great job Coach Matney has done or the other coaches in the Johnson County system. I guess I loved the competition more than most. I would love to see us play on all levels in all sports. I never got caught in all this hatin' stuff. I have great friends on both sides of the creek.
Bourbon by 12.
BigMelon63 Wrote:Where do you find this weeks BGR rankings and who votes?
Ummm, see that thread titled "Rankings week ended 9/19"? That would be it. Only been put up for like 5 weeks now I think. :eyeroll:
PHSForever Wrote:Ummm, see that thread titled "Rankings week ended 9/19"? That would be it. Only been put up for like 5 weeks now I think. :eyeroll:

C'mon PHS, just give a break here or there on Melons :igiveup:
TigerBlues Wrote:C'mon PHS, just give a break here or there on Melons :igiveup:
I don't think I've beat him up too bad. Was being a little sarcastic. Lol
Lots of beer and whisky giant melons has served around the area :1:
Look for Paintsville and Bourbon County to be a great game. Should help both teams come play off time.
Predicting a lot of offense. Bourbon is down some this year. Going with Paintsville in a close one.
Bourbon County 25-7
BigMelon63 Wrote:Coach Chirico and company have taken a very small class A school from dressing 18 players to having 47 on the roster in two years. There are just 100 boys in grades 9 through 12. 47 are on the football team.

any of them live in another state?Confusednicker:
That I am aware, they are all johnson/pike co kids for the most part. Hendricks was all that i knew of that transfered in and he had good reason. He tried to apply at Fairview and also considered Raceland and Russell, but i dont think either of the last two were looking for a transfer with everything that was going on in the area at the time. Back to topic...

This is a chance for Paintsville to make a statement. Imo, their AP ranking is questionable, but none of the rankings amount to a hill of beans in the end. Looking foward to seeing how this one plays out.
I always love when people start talking recruiting. Truth is no team, 4a 2a 1a, builds a program without some kids from outside their school district. If you are winning and doing things right kids and parents will want to join and be a part of it.
Eagle84 Wrote:This is me college if JC played Pantsville our grade schools kids would be recruited year round even college has recruiting restriction.

That is rich coming from a JC fan. "Pot, meet Kettle, Kettle, Pot."
BlueCrew34 Wrote:I always love when people start talking recruiting. Truth is no team, 4a 2a 1a, builds a program without some kids from outside their school district. If you are winning and doing things right kids and parents will want to join and be a part of it.

recruiting is not doing things right :dontthink Confusedtare:
Old Ball Coach Wrote:That is rich coming from a JC fan. "Pot, meet Kettle, Kettle, Pot."

Not sure what the hell you talking about "OLD BALL COACH" I would guess JC had gotten less than 1 transfer in a year who plays football in Matney Area. Hell if Paintsville only got 1 JC transfer a year they been lucky to field a team. IF YOU WOULD LIKE I CAN BREAK DOWN EACH TEAM ROSTER. :lame:
There are plenty kids in Johnson County to go around. To think Coach Matney doesn't try to get kids from the Paintsville school district is just not true. The County kids I've talked to come so they can have an opportunity to play early or have parents that played at Paintsville in the past and want to carry on the family legacy. I don't see a problem with either reason. I cheer for both teams and wish success for both districts. Heck Eagle 84 why don't you break down the rosters for the past 40 years and you will see kids from Paintsville playing at Central and kids from the county playing at Paintsville. No big deal.
Go Tigers!!!
Go Golden Eagles!!!
Hearing Kash is hurt? Any truth?
Motley Wrote:Hearing Kash is hurt? Any truth?

Excellent question Motley, I saw that on Twitter and also understand there are quite a few starters out for this game