•  Previous
  • 20(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Excellent post. But so much for a dedicated thread I guess? Lol

lol, I love seeing post like these from other posters so when I get a wild hair, I like to show some history as well.

After I got done I realized i had to go back and edit where i had region titles in because of the change in the playoffs, so i just left those out.

I wish we had more post like these!
80's
Belfry advanced Further than Corbin 4 times
Corbin advanced further than Belfry 3 times

NOTE:
Though Belfry seemingly gets the edge above.. there is no denying Corbin had the better overall decade.. though I admit I undersold Belfry and it is a little closer than I previously expected

90's
Belfry advanced Further 6 Times
Corbin advanced further 3 times

One Note:
1990 Corbin was the State Runner-up..the Ashland team who beat Belfry was the 3A Champion and that legendary team with Juan Thomas.
1991 Bell County was the State Champion who beta Belfry in Round 3

2000's
Belfry advanced further 6 times
Corbin advanced further 2 times
NOTES:
I will break this down further..
-2002 Corbin was State Runner-Up but lost to Breathitt 51-0... Belfry lost to Breathitt 21-0 in Round 3
- 2006 Belfry lost to Russell in Semi's 19-0, Corbin lost to Russell in Round 3 by a TD
- 2007 Belfry and Corbin actually played... Belfry won 21-0
- 2008 Both lost in Semi's to State Runner-Ups
- 2009 Corbin advanced further but lost to Pburg by 16, Belfry played Pburg in regular season and lost by 7

2010's
Belfry has advanced further all 5 years

Since 1980:
Belfry has advanced further than Corbin in 21 years
Corbin has advanced further than Belfry in 8 years
They have either both missed the playoffs or lost in the same round 5 times.
Pre-80's: Corbin
80's: Slight Corbin
90': Belfry
2000's: Heavy Belfry
2010's: Incomplete.. but thusfar Heavy Belfry

I think if you add Bell... Bell wins the 90's...stacks up more favorably if not almost even to Belfry in the 2000's.. not close in 2010's just like Corbin...and Bell is probably right with Corbin if not ahead in the 80's and ahead of Belfry... Pre 80's I am not sure, probably even with Belfry if not a little behind but distinctly behind Corbin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pre-80's: Corbin
80's: Slight Corbin
90': Belfry
2000's: Heavy Belfry
2010's: Incomplete.. but thusfar Heavy Belfry

I think if you add Bell... Bell wins the 90's...stacks up more favorably if not almost even to Belfry in the 2000's.. not close in 2010's just like Corbin...and Bell is probably right with Corbin if not ahead in the 80's and ahead of Belfry... Pre 80's I am not sure, probably even with Belfry if not a little behind but distinctly behind Corbin

Pretty much my exact thoughts as well!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Pretty much my exact thoughts as well!

I think it tells volumes about Head Coaches.
Under Dick Roddy you see Belfry improve their program to a Regional level.
Haywood in his early years had some up and down but drastically improved Belfry and has built to where they are. When he retires it will be a question mark.

Bell... pretty much a non-factor Pre-Dudley. Dudley built them into a state power..when he left they suffered. He comes back they thrive again almost immediately. Since leaving they have fell off a little but are still solid due to what he built.

Corbin... great coaches great results...good coaches good results..bad coaches bad results. Safe to say Corbin will ebb and flow as Haddix coaches and rebuilds the program.I think they have a lot to look forward to down the road personally. I think Haddix is one of the best young coaches in KY..but much like Haywood...it may take 7 or 8 years before he really gets in his groove.
In 1981 Belfry's record was 5-6.
In 1982 Belfry's record was 3-7
Good breakdown EKU, but I disagree with corbin getting the slight edge in the 80's. Belfry played in two State Championships when there was only 4 classes. For what its worth it didn't take Haywood long to hit his stride, His first year was 84 and took Belfry to the state championships the next two years. 85 and 86
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:Good breakdown EKU, but I disagree with corbin getting the slight edge in the 80's. Belfry played in two State Championships when there was only 4 classes. For what its worth it didn't take Haywood long to hit his stride, His first year was 84 and took Belfry to the state championships the next two years. 85 and 86

Corbin played in two as well..but won two in 80 and 82
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Corbin played in two as well..but won two in 80 and 82

I stand corrected then, I didn't know that. I thought there championships came in the 70's.
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:I stand corrected then, I didn't know that. I thought there championships came in the 70's.

Truth be told I thought the same til Gut posted his info. In all fairness I underestimated Belfry though in the 80's and didn't realize how close it actually was. Especially toward the late 80's you could really see Belfry's program turning it up and aside from the two Runner-Up years had some legit Top 5 teams and definitely were State Title Contenders.

I knew Corbin was good throughout the 80's and reached a couple Finals but Belfry the last 5 years of the decade was probably a good bit better.

In fact following all this I would go as far as to say Belfry has been the consistently better program of the two over the past 30 years, though outside of the 2000's and the past 5 years it wasn't a night and day difference.

There is no denying though Corbin owns it Pre-1985
Pre 85 sounds fair. Yea Belfry played for championships in 85 and 86. In 87 fell short to Ashland in regional playoff, 88 lost in playoff and had a really good team in 89 that was one yard away from beating Fort Thomas in semi finals. No disrespect to the great coach Roddy, but once Haywood showed up in 84 I would have to give the edge to Belfry every since.
Let's talk Belfry and leave Corbin out of the conversation like they will be left out of the state championship game.
^ Saw a few pics from the Hazard 7 on 7. Cole and Rayquan are looking huge and primed for a great year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think it tells volumes about Head Coaches.
Under Dick Roddy you see Belfry improve their program to a Regional level.
Haywood in his early years had some up and down but drastically improved Belfry and has built to where they are. When he retires it will be a question mark.

Bell... pretty much a non-factor Pre-Dudley. Dudley built them into a state power..when he left they suffered. He comes back they thrive again almost immediately. Since leaving they have fell off a little but are still solid due to what he built.

Corbin... great coaches great results...good coaches good results..bad coaches bad results. Safe to say Corbin will ebb and flow as Haddix coaches and rebuilds the program.I think they have a lot to look forward to down the road personally. I think Haddix is one of the best young coaches in KY..but much like Haywood...it may take 7 or 8 years before he really gets in his groove.

Couldn't have said it better.
Archie Powers is a staple in the town of Corbin. Even kids today know the name. Same for Cotton Adams. I know you've seen me mention Cotton several times over the years and I don't know anyone better at translating the game of football. He's the type of guy that teaches, not just coaches. Its his prerogative not only to show you what to do, but why it is that your doing it. I was lucky to have him for a coach at Whitley. He won Corbins last state title and I think the man will be a 130 years old and still putting "lards" on there....
Having Jewell there for close to 20 years kept the wins but it killed the program IMHO. I personally don't know anything about him, heard he was and is an excellent teacher and now principal, but he never took Corbin to that next level.
Its just a different breed and some have it, while some don't. With the support Haddix has received and the interest of the program, I really think he should have Corbin ahead of Bell and battling Belfry every year for the chance to go to state within the next couple of years. Theres really no reason he shouldn't. The talent is there and if he knows how to use it, Corbin should be winning titles before too long. If Haywood could do it with what he had at Belfry, theres no reason Haddix cant do the same at Corbin.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:In 1981 Belfry's record was 5-6.
In 1982 Belfry's record was 3-7

Thanks man. Ill edit that post.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So, I got bored.
Since theres no denying that pre 1979 was all Corbin when it comes to wins and championships, and since 2003 its been all Belfry, here you go.
1979-2002 records to compare.

Corbin- 11-1 State Semis lost to Pikeville
Belfry- 12-1 State runner Up to Franklin Simpson

Corbin- 10-3 2A State Champs Beat Undefeated Ft. Campbell 16-7 in title game. (Beat Pikeville 42-13 in the state semis)

Belfry- 7-4 Lost in first round of 3A playoffs to Leslie County 22-21

Corbin- 8-1 (Lost to only Mboro who only lost one game and that was too Somerset in the first round or Mboro who made the state finals.) A lot of people thought Corbin should have made it out. Only one team made it.

Belfry- 5-6 Missed playoffs.

Corbin-8-4 State Champions. Beat Glasgow 18-6 in State finals. Interesting fact...Corbin went into the playoffs with a 5-4 Record. The year before they didn't make the playoffs with only one loss.

Belfry- 3-7 Missed Playoffs

Corbin- 8-1 Corbin went into the season ranked first in the entire state in polls, and ended up losing to Somerset in a shocker and missing the playoffs all together, and somerset would end up getting the number one ranking in the state before losing in the finals in another surprise.

Belfry- 3-6 missed playoffs.

Corbin- 8-2 Lost to runner up Somerset in district and missed playoffs.

Belfry- 6-4 Missed playoffs

Corbin- 11-1 Lost to Pburg in the second round

Belfry- 11-3 State Runner Up to Paducah Tilghman

Corbin- 10-3 State Semis lost to New Cath

Belfry- 11-2 State Runner up to Owensboro

Corbin- 6-4 Missed Playoffs

Belfry- 9-3 Lost to Ashland in first Round

Corbin- 10-2 Lost to State Runner up Somerset in second round. I think they beat Somerset and won district earlier in the year. Or there was a three way tie and Corbin won the tiebreaker.

Belfry- 10-2 Lost in first round to 5-6 Ashland

Corbin- 9-3 Lost to Somerset in second round after beating them in district.

Belfry- 10-4 Lost in State semis to Highlands in OT. Lost district to Breathitt, but beat them in playoffs.

Corbin- 10-4 State runner up to Ft. Knox

Belfry- 12-1 Lost to Ashland in second round

Corbin- 6-4 Lost to Rockcastle in second round.

Belfry- 10-3 Lost to Bell County in third round.

Corbin- 7-5 Lost to State Champ Danville in second round

Belfry- 10-2 Lost to Bell County in second round

Corbin- 6-6 Lost to Somerset in second round

Belfry- 4-7 Lost to Cawood in first round

Corbin- 6-5 Lost to Boyle County in first round

Belfry- 6-6 Lost to Leslie County in second round

Corbin- 4-6 Lost to Danville in first round

Belfry- 10-3 Lost to Leslie County in third round

Corbin- 11-1 Upset by Madison Southern in OT at home in second round. I witnessed this one.

Belfry- 11-2 Lost to Bell County in third round

Corbin- 6-4 Lost to Danville in first round

Belfry- 9-4 Lost to Bell County in third round

Corbin- 8-3 Lost to Bourbon County in first round

Belfry- 8-5 Lost to Sheldon Clark in third round

1999 First year both were in 2A
Corbin- 9-4 Lost in third round to Taylor County

Belfry- 8-4 Lost in Second Round to Breathitt County

Corbin- 11-3 State Semi loss to State Champion Boyle County

Belfry- 7-5 Lost to Breathitt County in Second Round

Corbin- 10-2 Lost to Larue County in Second Round

Belfry- 8-5 Lost in third round to Breathitt County

Corbin- 11-4 State Runner up to Breathitt County

Belfry- 10-3 Lost in third round to Breathitt County

Corbin 1979-2002
197-69 74.06%

Two State Titles
Two Runner Ups

Belfry 1979-2002
182-85 68.16%

(I didn't have record for Belfry in 81 and 82 although id imagine they were not better than even. If you Belfry Fans can get me the records for those two years, ill plug them in)

Three State Runner Ups
Twelve Region Titles

**Im not positive on the Region title and Region runner up numbers as the playoffs use to be different. I know for fact that Belfry had 12 Region titles in that time span, but I think Corbin may of had more than what I think. The playoff format was very different then. I think the second round was the region title game until the mid to late 90's.

Pretty dang even over that 23 or 24 year stretch.
Only big difference is the win percentage over that time.
If you added in to present day I wouldn't expect that to change, maybe grow as well, even with the good Belfry seasons as Corbin had mostly 7, 8,and 9 win seasons.
Obviously this wont tell us who was better in what seasons as the majority of them they were in separate classes, but its not about that. Its about the program.

Id like to see what adding Bell to this would do as well.

Pretty interesting...

Updated.
proud44pirate Wrote:Let's talk Belfry and leave Corbin out of the conversation like they will be left out of the state championship game.

Your ship has sailed. You can sit at home and get a tear in your beer this year.
well lets hear something about practice(anyone)
practice is coming along great...team is loaded at just about every position...nose guard is the only position that isn't locked as of yet...this team has a lot of speed and power and seems to be clicking...look out 3a this team is the real deal...
Other thank Catron and X, who is getting reps at RB?
Devin Varney,Justin Atkins,Austin hall,tavion hunter, and t.j Dotson are getting reps at half-back...Derek Wellman and Andrew fletcher are your fullbacks...
Sanger and Wellman at LB I am guessing?
Your guessing right...
padd4pirate Wrote:Your guessing right...

What I was hoping to hear...think those two really compliment each other well and minimize the loss of Hatfield and Stanley as much as possible.

We know who the DE's are and they are good ones... (Dotson and Hall)

We know who two of the Interior DL's are and they are good ones... (Horton and Bentley)

We know who the two guys are that will see meaningful snaps on the Interior DLine and they are good ones... (Carr and Dove)

Now it's just about making those puzzle pieces fit.
Any more word from pond creek, how practice has been going and what players are really standing out at this point?
A short 3A preview from the Louisville Courier Journal.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/class-3-a-br...rs-tougher
Did Derek Wellman change to #5. Big shoes to fill in that jersey!

I assume at this time, one CB is Devin Varney and one S is Cam Catron. Who are likely to be the other starters in the secondary? Hopefully, Corbett won't have to play both ways.

I saw the team picture and MAN, Cole Bentley looks HUGE. Looks to be the biggest kid on the team by my eye. I hope Catron and Willis are looking quick and fast. We need those guys to up their game from the wing back positions since the fullback inevitably will fall off to some degree.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Did Derek Wellman change to #5. Big shoes to fill in that jersey!

I assume at this time, one CB is Devin Varney and one S is Cam Catron. Who are likely to be the other starters in the secondary? Hopefully, Corbett won't have to play both ways.

I saw the team picture and MAN, Cole Bentley looks HUGE. Looks to be the biggest kid on the team by my eye. I hope Catron and Willis are looking quick and fast. We need those guys to up their game from the wing back positions since the fullback inevitably will fall off to some degree.
Derek is the closest thing you are gonna see to a Austin Hatfield. You can never replace an Austin Hatfield. But trust me when I tell you Wellman will play hard. And you are gonna see Justin Adkins and Tj Dotson running the ball a lot. You won't see one set back field. Because them guys play defense also. as for safety I see it being Adkins with Catron. Personally I think Varney is a better safety than corner and Adkins a better corner than safety. But I'm just a fan what do I know. Lol
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Derek is the closest thing you are gonna see to a Austin Hatfield. You can never replace an Austin Hatfield. But trust me when I tell you Wellman will play hard. And you are gonna see Justin Adkins and Tj Dotson running the ball a lot. You won't see one set back field. Because them guys play defense also. as for safety I see it being Adkins with Catron. Personally I think Varney is a better safety than corner and Adkins a better corner than safety. But I'm just a fan what do I know. Lol

Wellman has potential to be the next excellent FB in a long line of them.

Not sure we will see another Hatfield, who may have been the best FB to ever play for Belfry, but with the talent surrounding him I don't think Wellman has to be Hatfield the next few years.

If what I hear about his dedication and work ethic are true I think he will be the biggest eye opener in 2015.

I also don't want to throw dirt on Fletcher. I think it is easy to get excited about Wellman because of his youth and the intensity he plays with...but Fletcher is not chopped liver at FB. This is a guy who has starting experience in some pretty tough games and has proven he can tote the mail.

As long as the FB blocks his butt off and holds on to the football I think either guy will do a fine job and plug in.
Heard Devin Varney got hurt today. Anyone know any details?
  •  Previous
  • 20(current)
  • Next