Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2 Johnson Central 0
Pikeville won their 7th straight with a 2-0 victory over Johnson Central.

Mike McDonald gets the win, Kevin Justice with the hold and Peyton Hamilton gets the save.

Panthers return to action tomorrow night versus Sheldon Clark.

First pitch scheduled for 6pm.
Panthers pitching allows only 3 hits.
Wow! Pikeville is very young and looks to be loaded for several years. These young guys have already won about 1,000 games before they ever got into high school. Great to see them doing well and thanks for the posts Pikeville.
I would like to get Bob Seger's take on where the Pikeville program is at right now, and Commanche's if he is still around. JC will still be the regional favorite but still a big win this early for the young Panthers.
Going to be a fun year in the 15th!
Nice win for Pikeville. Not a whole lot to say about this one. Was it a let down from the big win over TC and the travel they have had the past 4 days, maybe, but you have to get the sticks going and can't kick the ball around to stay competitive on a nightly basis. No excuses for not doing those two things. Not sure of how you would rank the arms on the staff that threw for Pikeville but I do know JC threw off as their top 5 have already been on the bump in the three games from Friday and Saturday. Would like to see these two again later in the season as their rotations become more seasoned and the kids have been out on the field for more than 5 days. Pikeville has some young talent as does JC, sophomore-8th grade classes are loaded. Should become a great series in the years to come.
Nice win Pikeville. Going to be a fun 15th region so far
Lynch47 Wrote:Nice win for Pikeville. Not a whole lot to say about this one. Was it a let down from the big win over TC and the travel they have had the past 4 days, maybe, but you have to get the sticks going and can't kick the ball around to stay competitive on a nightly basis. No excuses for not doing those two things. Not sure of how you would rank the arms on the staff that threw for Pikeville but I do know JC threw off as their top 5 have already been on the bump in the three games from Friday and Saturday. Would like to see these two again later in the season as their rotations become more seasoned and the kids have been out on the field for more than 5 days. Pikeville has some young talent as does JC, sophomore-8th grade classes are loaded. Should become a great series in the years to come.

:insane:
:thatsfunn
I post same thing hear as Lawrence County Thread, 0 is still 0. If you get beat something like 10 to 9 complain about lack of pitching maybe causing a loss. You don't score and only give up 2 runs pitching probably not your greatest concern as a coach.
"here"
jetpilot Wrote:Wow! Pikeville is very young and looks to be loaded for several years. These young guys have already won about 1,000 games before they ever got into high school. Great to see them doing well and thanks for the posts Pikeville.
I would like to get Bob Seger's take on where the Pikeville program is at right now, and Commanche's if he is still around. JC will still be the regional favorite but still a big win this early for the young Panthers.

Hey JP!!

Honestly I wasn't able to make it to the game last night due to work issues, so my understanding of what happened is all from a hearsay perspective..I hate to miss a game with Pikeville due to not getting to spending a good night of baseball with my Pikeville friends, but unfortunately I didn't have much choice last night. So, I feel cheated that I wasn't able to be there, even though the good guys ended up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.:biggrin:

I think that anybody that has been following Pikeville for the last couple years could tell you that this is a very talented young group of Panthers coming up and them playing well should be of no surprise....For the most part JC's squad is of similar age, (except for a couple upper classman pitchers) but have to give the young Panthers a distinctive edge in experience.

It sounds to me like JC's biggest culprit last night was some not so great defense and not a whole lot of offense. Of course you can blame the lack of offense as a credit to good Pikeville pitching....Looks and sounds like JC pitchers did a pretty good job, as in most cases only giving up 2 runs will give you a chance to win, so you cant fault JC pitchers on anything. We could have had our #1 ,#2, or #3 out there on the mound and that would have changed nothing...You still have to score, which we did not..It could have sent it into extra innings maybe, but that still doesn't guarantee anything.

Anyways, congrats to Pikeville on a well played game. They certainly earned all the respect in the world as they earned this win. Nobody gave them anything. I am far from shocked that they played well.

Again congratulations, always a big fan of Pikeville when they don't play the Eagles. But you already knew that..

Good luck the rest of the season guys, maybe if we work hard and play well, we can get you the next time..:Thumbs:
Pikeville is sophomore loaded mix a freshman and junior with the other core players.

Last night Pikeville pitched 2 sophomores and a freshman.

Both teams are talented and will be fun to watch for the next 3 years!
Sounded like a great game. Congrats to the Panthers.
Saw on KHSAA.org that Pikeville is traveling to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to play down at the Ripken experience. My son's high school has gone there for several years and it is a great experience for the players. The competition is usually very good as well.
jetpilot Wrote:Wow! Pikeville is very young and looks to be loaded for several years. These young guys have already won about 1,000 games before they ever got into high school. Great to see them doing well and thanks for the posts Pikeville.

I havent watched them yet, but this group has played a lot of games and from what I have heard are gonna be dynamite. Young teams are gonna be up and down, but this group is special. Good win last night for sure, those are wins that give a young group confidence.
Pikeville Junior High went to the state finals 2 years in a row. Young arms along with some player development. Coach Priode has the team who can win some games.
jetpilot Wrote::insane:

If you would read what was said in its entirety no excuses were made just stating some facts. At the time of the game JC had only had 5 days on the field, 6 counting today due to weather, two consecutive weeks of state basketball tournaments and a wrestling tournament that was moved back. Last nights game was Pikeville's 9th home game, JC's 4th game overall, all away after a late night at Russell, an all day affair at Somerset then a rest day before traveling down 23. JC did throw off but Pikeville could have as well and that is why I was trying to figure out what guys in the rotation tossed. An answer to that question would be appreciated. Would it have mattered who pitched for either team, no, because in order to win you have to put the ball in play and can't kick it around like Segar and myself said. I don't think anyone is trying to take away from the Pikeville win. Good early season win for them. Hopefully the guys in black and gold learn from their mistakes which is why an early season game against Pikeville is good because they are helpful in exposing weaknesses and gives JC some things to work on going forward. Lots of young quality guys on both teams and should setup nicely for future additions of this game.
Lynch47 Wrote:If you would read what was said in its entirety no excuses were made just stating some facts. At the time of the game JC had only had 5 days on the field, 6 counting today due to weather, two consecutive weeks of state basketball tournaments and a wrestling tournament that was moved back. Last nights game was Pikeville's 9th home game, JC's 4th game overall, all away after a late night at Russell, an all day affair at Somerset then a rest day before traveling down 23. JC did throw off but Pikeville could have as well and that is why I was trying to figure out what guys in the rotation tossed. An answer to that question would be appreciated. Would it have mattered who pitched for either team, no, because in order to win you have to put the ball in play and can't kick it around like Segar and myself said. I don't think anyone is trying to take away from the Pikeville win. Good early season win for them. Hopefully the guys in black and gold learn from their mistakes which is why an early season game against Pikeville is good because they are helpful in exposing weaknesses and gives JC some things to work on going forward. Lots of young quality guys on both teams and should setup nicely for future additions of this game.

:hilarious: JP always makes it fun ! But really going by KHSAA Pikeville is way ahead of and by themselves in the 15th
TigerBlues Wrote::hilarious: JP always makes it fun ! But really going by KHSAA Pikeville is way ahead of and by themselves in the 15th

Now TB, don't be sandbagging in baseball like you do in football.:biggrin:
According to the KHSAA the Panthers lost to your Tigers in extra innings.

Thanks to Bob Seger and Commanche for the informative comments.
Going to be a fun year for baseball in the 15th. Should be very competitive with several pretty good teams.:Thumbs:
I'm not shocked by this at all. I think it was a big-time "trap game" for JC and they were probably mentally somewhere else. I think this is a great lesson for teams to learn they can carry through into the post season. If you let your mental preparation diminish after a big win then things like this will happen. Pikeville was one of the youngest teams in the state last year and for the most part played like it. However, in the midst of their inconsistency you could see the talent level and what could happen once they mature a little. I know a couple of LC posters laughed when I ranked Pikeville as high as I did amongst the other teams, but make no mistake they will continue to get better and gain experience with every game they play and I would not be surprised at all to see these two teams playing for the regional championship this year. Pikeville will need to improve a little for that to happen and their bats will continue to improve with more live pitching that they see. However, I do think as long as JC stays mentally prepared throughout the season, it is theirs to lose.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm not shocked by this at all. I think it was a big-time "trap game" for JC and they were probably mentally somewhere else. I think this is a great lesson for teams to learn they can carry through into the post season. If you let your mental preparation diminish after a big win then things like this will happen. Pikeville was one of the youngest teams in the state last year and for the most part played like it. However, in the midst of their inconsistency you could see the talent level and what could happen once they mature a little. I know a couple of LC posters laughed when I ranked Pikeville as high as I did amongst the other teams, but make no mistake they will continue to get better and gain experience with every game they play and I would not be surprised at all to see these two teams playing for the regional championship this year. Pikeville will need to improve a little for that to happen and their bats will continue to improve with more live pitching that they see. However, I do think as long as JC stays mentally prepared throughout the season, it is theirs to lose.

Baseball is not as black and white as you're trying to make it. JC is the better team in this situation at this point and just because Pikeville beat them does not mean they are better. Baseball is the only sport where sometimes you only have a day or in some cases thirty minutes after a huge win before you have to play again. Because of that, and the amount of games you play a week, let-downs happen several times during the season. Just imagine if Pikeville football had to play a Hazard thirty minutes after or even the following day after they beat Belfry. Mentally, there will be a dropoff. These are teenage kids that haven't developed the kind of discipline it takes to control those emotional highs and lows. If baseball had an entire week to prepare for every game and could throw their best pitcher in every game, then their wouldn't be many upsets at all in baseball. I'm not saying Pikeville can't or won't get to JC's level, but JC apparently threw-off and from what I heard, if it weren't for a few defensive miscues those runs wouldn't have scored. I do think if they can continue to get better at that aspect they can play with anyone in the region, and I always give credit where it is due, Pikeville showed up and JC did not for this particular game.
baseball1974 Wrote:Baseball is not as black and white as you're trying to make it. JC is the better team in this situation at this point and just because Pikeville beat them does not mean they are better. Baseball is the only sport where sometimes you only have a day or in some cases thirty minutes after a huge win before you have to play again. Because of that, and the fact that and the amount of games you play a week, let-downs happen several times during the season. Just imagine if Pikeville football had to play a huge Hazard thirty minutes after or even the following day after they beat Belfry. Mentally, there will be a dropoff. These are teenage kids that haven't developed the kind of discipline it takes to control those emotional highs and lows. If baseball had an entire week to prepare for every game and could throw their best pitcher in every game, then their wouldn't be many upsets at all in baseball. I'm not saying Pikeville can't or won't get to JC's level, but JC apparently threw-off and from what I heard, if it weren't for a few defensive miscues those runs wouldn't have scored. I do think if they can continue to get better at that aspect they can play with anyone in the region, and I always give credit where it is due, Pikeville showed up and JC did not for this particular game.

:thatsfunn Wow, I've never seen so many excuses for a loss in my life as you have presented in this thread.

JP, do not respond to this guy. I tried it and lost brain cells because of it.
baseball1974 Wrote:Baseball is not as black and white as you're trying to make it. JC is the better team in this situation at this point and just because Pikeville beat them does not mean they are better. Baseball is the only sport where sometimes you only have a day or in some cases thirty minutes after a huge win before you have to play again. Because of that, and the amount of games you play a week, let-downs happen several times during the season. Just imagine if Pikeville football had to play a Hazard thirty minutes after or even the following day after they beat Belfry. Mentally, there will be a dropoff. These are teenage kids that haven't developed the kind of discipline it takes to control those emotional highs and lows. If baseball had an entire week to prepare for every game and could throw their best pitcher in every game, then their wouldn't be many upsets at all in baseball. I'm not saying Pikeville can't or won't get to JC's level, but JC apparently threw-off and from what I heard, if it weren't for a few defensive miscues those runs wouldn't have scored. I do think if they can continue to get better at that aspect they can play with anyone in the region, and I always give credit where it is due, Pikeville showed up and JC did not for this particular game.

TigerBlues Wrote:JP, do not respond to this guy. I tried it and lost brain cells because of it.

At least you aren't going insane TB!