Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Mayfield Cardinals
I am still going through withdrawals and wish season was upon us. I don't have a lot to talk about until then. I just thought I would share the light with some of those about what to expect out of the 11 time state champions over here in western Ky.

First of all, as season ended in 2013 and throughout the summer, there was lots of talk that the Cardinals may take as many as 4-5 losses in the 2014 campaign. This being because everyone knew this was going to be a rebuilding year. Just to remind everyone, we had to replace 4 of the starting 5 offensive linemen. We had to replace the starting running back. We had to replace 2 starting receivers. We also had to replace a starting qb. Then if that wasn't enough, on the defensive side, we had to replace a lot as well. There we had to replace a starting lineman, 2 starting defensive ends, 2 starting linebackers, 2 starting corners and a safety. What is amazing is that we did all of that and still made a 3 peat.

I wanted to put that out there to dispell any neysayers that are going to start blabbering that "now we are in 2a and it's a different world". I would say the greater achievement was for the upstart team to win in 2014.

In the 2015 season on offense, we will have to replace 4 starting linemen and 1 receiver. On defense we will have to replace 2 starting defensive linemen and a corner back. However the corner back will be easy to replace since the one that started the season at that position will be back and healed from his knee surgery.

Now on the advancement of the offensive line, I understand that there is a possibility that 2 exceptional sophomores will be starting next year. I also understand that Charles Jackson will be back and stronger than ever. I also understand that another senior may anchor the center spot and he is a beast. I understand this kid is already benching over 325 and that is his weak area. I think the other remaining spot will be a free for all with a lot of kids with bigger size than last year vying for that spot.

The next thing that I think will help is the fact that already there has been some new kids popping up and there is another round of some possibly on the way. The rumor mill is rampet. There is also the fact that the incoming freshmen have a back that some are already comparing to Trajon Bright, and that is very high praise.

The returners look like this:
QB- Landon Arnett Jr
RB- Trajon Bright Jr
FB- Kyle Hurt So
FB- Johnnie Hernandez Sr
WR- Cobly Tucker Sr
WR- Lane Kennemore Sr
WR- Michael Walker Sr
OL- Charles Jackson Sr

DE- Davis Mills Sr
DE- Xavier Brown Jr (limited play at early season, as beast if he can play)
ILB- Johnnie Hernandez Sr
ILB- Kincer Arnett Jr
OLB- Nick Workman Jr
OLB- Kyle Hurt So
CB- Colby Tucker Sr (was starter until torn tendon in McCracken game)
CB- Trajon Bright Jr
S- Lane Kennemore Sr
S- Jaime Tapia Jr

Add to that the talented players that can two deep us at a lot of skill positions such as; Nate Fox, Shauntrez Tyler, Kevin Caldwell, Jack Murrell, Jordan Harrison and many others. This should be another great year. I also like the fact that as long as we win the district, we are home until the State Championship. I also like the fact that we have replaced the non district game that was Murray with Corbin this year.

There is my thoughts and I hope that will enlighten those who are wondering about whether we can contend in 2a or not.
I forgot to tell everyone another little tid bit of information. I and several other Mayfield fans go to breakfast together on Fridays, just like during season. We discuss football every week. We have a coach that shows up to some of those meetings. The information that we are getting from the coach is that this group works out harder in the weight room than any group they have had before. That is high praise and I hope that it translates to the field in August.
mysonis55 Wrote:I forgot to tell everyone another little tid bit of information. I and several other Mayfield fans go to breakfast together on Fridays, just like during season. We discuss football every week. We have a coach that shows up to some of those meetings. The information that we are getting from the coach is that this group works out harder in the weight room than any group they have had before. That is high praise and I hope that it translates to the field in August.

sh&t i bet y'all are still talking about upsetting williamsburg in the state championship game 2014...:lmao:
Moving up a class proves to be difficult for many teams, but with a good amount of starters back as you say id say they have a shot of cracking into the top 5. They probably wont be in title contention though.
I have Mayfield preseason #1 in 2A. But the road will be tough in 2A through the playoffs.
2A weat is loaded. But lets not pretend that Mayfield hasnt played in this class and succeeded before. They will again. CAL, Caldwell, and DeSales will all be great ball games amongst each other. Throw Mayfield in the mix and 2A West is goina be the funnest football in the state come late november.
Ok the west is going to be strong.....:igiveup:
No 64, we fully expected to win that game.
Caldwell is now 2a. We still have a very good Murray team in our district though and their is also Owensboro Cath in our Region.
Sheriff Griffith, that shows what a North Carolinan knows about Ky football.
mysonis55 Wrote:Sheriff Griffith, that shows what a North Carolinan knows about Ky football.

I agree Andy Gridiron know nothing about kentucky football. :lmao:
64SUR Wrote:sh&t i bet y'all are still talking about upsetting williamsburg in the state championship game 2014...:lmao:

Confusednicker:
mysonis55 Wrote:Sheriff Griffith, that shows what a North Carolinan knows about Ky football.

I know a good football team when I see it. I know yall don't have any in the state of Kentucky except trinity, and whitley county.Confusedinglepar
andy griffith Wrote:I know a good football team when I see it. I know yall don't have any in the state of Kentucky except trinity, and whitley county.Confusedinglepar

Go Colonels! and Shamrocks.:betterthanexpected:
mysonis55 Wrote:Caldwell is now 2a. We still have a very good Murray team in our district though and their is also Owensboro Cath in our Region.

U all will definitely have a tougher task than u did in 1A. Which is probably better for the Cardinals, better competition for the other schools as well. Mayfield has my support for sure! Always had alot of reapect for that program since we wet and had team camp with them my freshman year. Great program.
I really think a lot of the teams in 1a would be successful in 2a. I would say that Beechwood would be competitive every year. I would say that Russellville would competitive most. I would say Hazard would in 10 & 11. I would say that Fairview team, that doesn't exist in the record books, would have in 12. I would say Frankfort of 13 would have. I would say Wburg would have this year. I think their are some programs that drastically underestimate 1a.
Sheriff Griffith, explain to me your thought process. I spent a lot of time in a much better football state than NC. Light years better. That is Texas. I lived in a town where my older bro played for a 4 time 2a state champion. I have been a football junkie since I was 6 or 7. I know good football and have seen some great football here. Mayfield used to travel to Evansville, Ind and beat up on 4 and 5a powers up there almost every year. The last time we beat a big in school was 2010. We haven't played them since. Paducah-Tilghman plays Evansville Mayer Dei recently to a tight one. We beat the Tn 2a state champs in 2009 and didn't even win the Ky 1a title. We consistently take it to a 3a Tn power called Milan in our preseason scrimmages. They have played in about 4 of the last 6 Tn state titles. The Tn 1a state champs, and undefeated for over a year, are only about 30 miles away and will not play us. McCracken Co just beat a top 10 Ms team last year. That is a top 6a team. McCracken didn't even make it out of round 2 in Ky. Highlands is always beating Ohio teams. Trinity and St X have a history of beating out of state power teams as well. BG just a couple years ago was beating up on very stiff competition as well. So, I say check before you smack those gums.
mysonis55 Wrote:Sheriff Griffith, explain to me your thought process. I spent a lot of time in a much better football state than NC. Light years better. That is Texas. I lived in a town where my older bro played for a 4 time 2a state champion. I have been a football junkie since I was 6 or 7. I know good football and have seen some great football here. Mayfield used to travel to Evansville, Ind and beat up on 4 and 5a powers up there almost every year. The last time we beat a big in school was 2010. We haven't played them since. Paducah-Tilghman plays Evansville Mayer Dei recently to a tight one. We beat the Tn 2a state champs in 2009 and didn't even win the Ky 1a title. We consistently take it to a 3a Tn power called Milan in our preseason scrimmages. They have played in about 4 of the last 6 Tn state titles. The Tn 1a state champs, and undefeated for over a year, are only about 30 miles away and will not play us. McCracken Co just beat a top 10 Ms team last year. That is a top 6a team. McCracken didn't even make it out of round 2 in Ky. Highlands is always beating Ohio teams. Trinity and St X have a history of beating out of state power teams as well. BG just a couple years ago was beating up on very stiff competition as well. So, I say check before you smack those gums.

Id love for Shelby NC to get ahold of your school one time. If that ever happened id borrow Briscoe darlin's truck so me barney, Floyd, goober, and Otis could come watch, that is if he gets it fixed since I hear ernest t broke it.
andy griffith Wrote:I know a good football team when I see it. I know yall don't have any in the state of Kentucky except trinity, and whitley county.Confusedinglepar

Hmmmmm.........:pondering:
mysonis55 Wrote:I am still going through withdrawals and wish season was upon us. I don't have a lot to talk about until then. I just thought I would share the light with some of those about what to expect out of the 11 time state champions over here in western Ky.

First of all, as season ended in 2013 and throughout the summer, there was lots of talk that the Cardinals may take as many as 4-5 losses in the 2014 campaign. This being because everyone knew this was going to be a rebuilding year. Just to remind everyone, we had to replace 4 of the starting 5 offensive linemen. We had to replace the starting running back. We had to replace 2 starting receivers. We also had to replace a starting qb. Then if that wasn't enough, on the defensive side, we had to replace a lot as well. There we had to replace a starting lineman, 2 starting defensive ends, 2 starting linebackers, 2 starting corners and a safety. What is amazing is that we did all of that and still made a 3 peat.

I wanted to put that out there to dispell any neysayers that are going to start blabbering that "now we are in 2a and it's a different world". I would say the greater achievement was for the upstart team to win in 2014.

In the 2015 season on offense, we will have to replace 4 starting linemen and 1 receiver. On defense we will have to replace 2 starting defensive linemen and a corner back. However the corner back will be easy to replace since the one that started the season at that position will be back and healed from his knee surgery.

Now on the advancement of the offensive line, I understand that there is a possibility that 2 exceptional sophomores will be starting next year. I also understand that Charles Jackson will be back and stronger than ever. I also understand that another senior may anchor the center spot and he is a beast. I understand this kid is already benching over 325 and that is his weak area. I think the other remaining spot will be a free for all with a lot of kids with bigger size than last year vying for that spot.

The next thing that I think will help is the fact that already there has been some new kids popping up and there is another round of some possibly on the way. The rumor mill is rampet. There is also the fact that the incoming freshmen have a back that some are already comparing to Trajon Bright, and that is very high praise.

The returners look like this:
QB- Landon Arnett Jr
RB- Trajon Bright Jr
FB- Kyle Hurt So
FB- Johnnie Hernandez Sr
WR- Cobly Tucker Sr
WR- Lane Kennemore Sr
WR- Michael Walker Sr
OL- Charles Jackson Sr

DE- Davis Mills Sr
DE- Xavier Brown Jr (limited play at early season, as beast if he can play)
ILB- Johnnie Hernandez Sr
ILB- Kincer Arnett Jr
OLB- Nick Workman Jr
OLB- Kyle Hurt So
CB- Colby Tucker Sr (was starter until torn tendon in McCracken game)
CB- Trajon Bright Jr
S- Lane Kennemore Sr
S- Jaime Tapia Jr

Add to that the talented players that can two deep us at a lot of skill positions such as; Nate Fox, Shauntrez Tyler, Kevin Caldwell, Jack Murrell, Jordan Harrison and many others. This should be another great year. I also like the fact that as long as we win the district, we are home until the State Championship. I also like the fact that we have replaced the non district game that was Murray with Corbin this year.

There is my thoughts and I hope that will enlighten those who are wondering about whether we can contend in 2a or not.

Corbin huh? That is a pretty big haul for us don't you think?
mysonis55 Wrote:Caldwell is now 2a. We still have a very good Murray team in our district though and their is also Owensboro Cath in our Region.

I thought Caldwell is gonna be 3A now?
Caldwell will be 3a, im sure 55 just typoed knowing how ate up with Mayfield he is im sure he knew that. According to somewhere or another that I seen the Corbin game will be played at Lyndsey Wilson, if so I mapquested, and its 2hrs 40 minutes to Columbia the town that college is in. Corbin is an hour 40 from there, so Mayfield has the farther trip. I wonder if that's a 2 year contract, and if so if its the same place next year. If it was me Id drive the extra hour, and make them do a trip to Mayfield the next year.
I messed up on my above comment it is 3hrs 40 minutes from Mayfield to Columbia per mapquest.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I messed up on my above comment it is 3hrs 40 minutes from Mayfield to Columbia per mapquest.

:ref2: 1hrs longer folks Killbilly ymca is back. :biglmao:
mysonis55 Wrote:I forgot to tell everyone another little tid bit of information. I and several other Mayfield fans go to breakfast together on Fridays, just like during season. We discuss football every week. We have a coach that shows up to some of those meetings. The information that we are getting from the coach is that this group works out harder in the weight room than any group they have had before. That is high praise and I hope that it translates to the field in August.

Man your wordy. Mayfield goes 6-6
Wiznut, and andy are nuts.
Sorry big red, that is a typo. I meant 3a for Caldwell otherwise I would have shown them along with Murray and OC. Yes we do have Corbin on the schedule at Lindsey Wilson College. I think it's our 3rd game of the season.
To my understanding the Corbin deal is a 2 year contract. That just gives 64 another 2 years to wear his Mayfield Cardinals shirt.
Sheriff Griffith, I think Mayfield Cardinal posted a reply to your thoughts about Shelby NC in the wrong thread. He made a reply and according to the computers, your NC team looked to be underdogs to our Cardinals most of the past 6 years or so.
Besides that sheriff, you will find, if they ask our coaches they will probably get the game. Just ask Corbin. We are traveling over 3 hours this year and next just to play them during the regular season.