Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Class 2A Pre-Season Top 10
What does everyone thin? Will Mayfield run the table or will CAL or DeSales have anything to say about that?
1 Mayfield
2 Desales
3 NCC
4 CAL
5 Murray
6 SV
7 Owensboro Cath
8 Prestonsburg
9 Monroe County
10 Somerset

Severeal teams could make this top 10.. Leslie County, Glasgow, Danville.
bac2369 Wrote:1 Mayfield
2 Desales
3 NCC
4 CAL
5 Murray
6 SV
7 Owensboro Cath
8 Prestonsburg
9 Monroe County
10 Somerset

Severeal teams could make this top 10.. Leslie County, Glasgow, Danville.

I pray they prove me wrong, but Prestonsburg could finish 3rd in District. We will not be a top 10 team in 2A next year. Although we have a couple of nice players returning, we have to many holes to fill on both sides of the ball this coming year.

1.Desales
2.CAL
3.Mayfield
4.NCC

The rest will not matter in November.
I look for SV to have another good season. But still don't think they have enough to get over the hill.
I think you are under estimating them. I think Prestonsburg will be okay.
bac2369 Wrote:I think you are under estimating them. I think Prestonsburg will be okay.

I really hope you are right. In seasons past others have underestimated my Blackcats, but I had faith in them. This coming year I just don't know how we will replace so many key players on both sides of the ball. Several of them being multi year starters.
Well they disappointed me last year because there defense impressed me when I watched them at Hazard. What's the line going to look like.?
bac2369 Wrote:Well they disappointed me last year because there defense impressed me when I watched them at Hazard. What's the line going to look like.?

If I'm not mistaken we lost the entire line on both sides of the ball with the exception of 1 or 2 players.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we only return a total of 6-7 starters on both sides of the ball.
The west seems to have some descent strength. I wouldn't say any of them are impressive, but still descent teams. Ill take someone from the west to win it all unless ncc vastly improves. Last year ncc wasn't near as good as usual, and still got to the finals, but the east side of 2a has been weak ever since Danville hasn't been the power they once was.
Who would be a good school to watch games at in the lake barkley area of western Kentucky. I don't know much about Kentucky football other than looking at list of past state champions(highlands,and trinity seem to be topnotch), and have learned that in most of yalls classes the east is usually weaker by reading post on here lol, and that Danville used to be great, but aint nomore. I lived in north Carolina, and prefer small town atmosphere a to aaa class just haven't really looked much into it to see if there are any good football teams close by.
Drive an hour or so down the road and watch the Bowling Green teams, notably B.Green or S.Warren. OB Catholic is a good small school team not far away. They're typically a shot gun style team that airs it out a lot, so, pretty entertaining to watch and typically Top 5 to Top 10 in there class.. Caldwell Co isn't a bad team to follow either.. They've been really strong offensively the past few years, but, lose Sindelar, a big time QB talent, so, they may not be quite as strong as they've been, but, they do have good numbers every year, so, I'm sure they'll still be competitive..
I think Desales is the team to beat and CAL is right on their heels.. If I were to rank right now:

1) Desales
2) CAL
3) Mayfield
4) NCC
5) Murray
6) OB Catholic
7) Danville
8) LCA
9) S.Valley
10) Prestonsburg

I think WVerona, Leslie Co, Ballard Mem, Glasgow, Monroe Co, Lloyd Memorial, Middlesboro, Green Co,, Butler Co and Newport are all in the Top 20, in no particular order..
Cant wait to see CAl/Des/MF games. Those should be some of thebest 2A games since the 6 classes were put in place.
If you are around Lake Barclay, you can drive an hour or less and watch the 11 time state champions at War Memorial in Mayfield.
mysonis55 Wrote:If you are around Lake Barclay, you can drive an hour or less and watch the 11 time state champions at War Memorial in Mayfield.

I was told Caldwell county was the best small school in that area. If that mediocre school is the best I might have to go watch a bigger school although I prefer small school.
Belfry will win the 2a title
It'll be impossible for Belfry to win 2a.
1. Mayfield
2. CAL
3. Desales
4. Murray
5. NCC

My thoughts are Mayfield has more returning from a team that was a little better than DeSales last year who likely should not have beat Murray.
andy griffith Wrote:I was told Caldwell county was the best small school in that area. If that mediocre school is the best I might have to go watch a bigger school although I prefer small school.

You can go watch Mayfield, a team that will be around 45 minutes or less away. That will easily suffice your stated prerequisite of a team like Shelby, NC. In fact it will be a small school step up. Mayfield is 5th in wins nationally all time and could move to 4th next year if they have a good season, which they should. Shelby is in the mid 40's nationally in all time wins. CalPreps head to head matchup calculator on a neutral field over the last 5 years has:

2014 Shelby 27 Mayfield 26
2013 Mayfield 31 Shelby 28
2012 Mayfield 38 Shelby 19
2011 Mayfield 28 Shelby 21
2010 Mayfield 35 Shelby 19

Both have titles galore with Shelby having 14 and Mayfield having 11, runner up and Regional titles are similar. Both have had 1 losing season in last 55 years
We tailgate at Mayfield home games prior to games and I am going to extend a invite. It will give you a taste of home only with a team that is a little better than home.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:You can go watch Mayfield, a team that will be around 45 minutes or less away. That will easily suffice your stated prerequisite of a team like Shelby, NC. In fact it will be a small school step up. Mayfield is 5th in wins nationally all time and could move to 4th next year if they have a good season, which they should. Shelby is in the mid 40's nationally in all time wins. CalPreps head to head matchup calculator on a neutral field over the last 5 years has:

Both have titles galore with Shelby having 14 and Mayfield having 11, runner up
and Regional titles are similar. Both have had 1 losing season in last 55 years
We tailgate at Mayfield home games prior to games and I am going to extend a invite. It will give you a taste of home only with a team that is a little better than home.

I hope you don't think Andy is from Shelby.....and going to moved to mayfield 55....This Andy posters is a bigger jerk than I am. :truestory:
64SUR Wrote:I hope you don't think Andy is from Shelby.....and going to moved to mayfield 55....This Andy posters is a bigger jerk than I am. :truestory:

really?
iceman 92 Wrote:I look for SV to have another good season. But still don't think they have enough to get over the hill.

I see Shelby Valley as a sleeper team and as a contender if they get a passing game....jmo....That said GO Leslie County :popcorn:
You saw Paintsville as a sleeper team this past season. They were sleeping before the jackets even came calling.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:1. Mayfield
2. CAL
3. Desales
4. Murray
5. NCC

My thoughts are Mayfield has more returning from a team that was a little better than DeSales last year who likely should not have beat Murray.

No way to know. But I do know, that the Mayfield team I saw in their title game, would not have stayed within 2 TD's of DeSales. You couldn't have scored enough to beat us. You guys are going to be sadly mistaken if you think DeSales won't be loaded again next year.

Colts are #1 till someone can beat them.
mysonis55 Wrote:You saw Paintsville as a sleeper team this past season. They were sleeping before the jackets even came calling.

We are talking 2A now Mysonis2A....:why:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:You can go watch Mayfield, a team that will be around 45 minutes or less away. That will easily suffice your stated prerequisite of a team like Shelby, NC. In fact it will be a small school step up. Mayfield is 5th in wins nationally all time and could move to 4th next year if they have a good season, which they should. Shelby is in the mid 40's nationally in all time wins. CalPreps head to head matchup calculator on a neutral field over the last 5 years has:

Both have titles galore with Shelby having 14 and Mayfield having 11, runner up and Regional titles are similar. Both have had 1 losing season in last 55 years

That computer is drunk.. You cant use computer system. These tems are in different states, so the computer cant compare state to state since no common opponents. A team automatically gets hit hard by these computers when you lose. Same way a team get credit for winning. Yall beat teams that are horrible, and get credit. We take a couple of close losses a year to teams that would kill yall, and the computer punishes us for it. Thanks for the invite, but Mayfield is not a small step up, its a significant drop.
andy griffith Wrote:Thanks for the invite.

We clearly have some differences of opinion but my offer stands. You would enjoy a team with big tradition and small town support most likely
ColtPride Wrote:No way to know. But I do know, that the Mayfield team I saw in their title game, would not have stayed within 2 TD's of DeSales. You couldn't have scored enough to beat us. You guys are going to be sadly mistaken if you think DeSales won't be loaded again next year.

Colts are #1 till someone can beat them.

Given your lucky break against Murray, I stand by my opinion and feel 2A would have been easier to win last year than 1A. The computer matchup also agrees with me and we lost less, far less than Desales.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2014] Mayfield (KY) 22, [2014] DeSales (Louisville, KY) 21

This 2 year debate will be settled in late November.
It's kind of hard to buy the whole idea that Mayfield couldn't play within 2 td's of DeSales. Just the weak prior to state, Murray traveled 3 plus hours to play DeSales. It took a bad call by the striped boys to allow DeSales to win by 7. This is the same Mirray team that we beat by 11 points. We did that on their field, short handed and on a bad night for our boys, due to a tragic event earlier that day. The game you witnessed at state was an abnormality. We were playing a very good team that had waited 12 months to get ahold of us. We also had a bunch of overconfident boys in red helmets. That is until they were down by 2 scores. It's gonna be fun this coming season.