Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Class 4A Pre-Season Top 10
So can you tell us a little more about Scott. What are the players strengths? Speed etc.

In our area it seems like the district with South Warren, Franklin-Simpson has to really good individual players. I don't know the names of most on Franklin's team but South is really loaded with all seniors that are mostly going to be in their 3rd year of starting. I think Franklin had a kid make first team all-state at LB. They also have a freshman RB that is as fast as blue blazes. I think we will be better than them next year but they will be the team of the future the next few years after that. When I have time I'll string together some names and positions of our best players from South.
I think Johnson Central is the team to beat in 4A in 2015
I can't believe no one is mentioning Madisonville. They should be strong again or did they get bumped to 5a with Owensboro?
KYHSFBFan Wrote:I can't believe no one is mentioning Madisonville. They should be strong again or did they get bumped to 5a with Owensboro?

Do they have a coach?

Still in 4a.
Madisonville lost over 20 seniors. I think they will take a hit for a couple of seasons.
Taylor co #5
South Warren has to show me something. Back to back flame outs in the playoffs. Can't bring myself to put them #1.

1. John Hardin
2. Johnson Central
3. Warren Central
4. Collins
5. South Warren
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Wayne County should be in top 5 next year.

Improved but no.

Maybe next year.

Thompson does a great job of building and developing but this sensational Freshman class will probably be Juniors before Wayne gets back to a Top 5 level.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:South Warren has to show me something. Back to back flame outs in the playoffs. Can't bring myself to put them #1.

1. John Hardin
2. Johnson Central
3. Warren Central
4. Collins
5. South Warren
South Warren has lost in the region final (13) and the state semi-finals in (14) and both were on road. I'd hardly call that a flame out. Flaming out would be Warren Central or Johnson Central the past 2 years.
Thunder Lips Wrote:South Warren has lost in the region final (13) and the state semi-finals in (14) and both were on road. I'd hardly call that a flame out. Flaming out would be Warren Central or Johnson Central the past 2 years.

Johnson Central was never the undefeated favorite to win a State Title though.

South Warren lost to Central team that entered 9-4 and wasn't close to one of their better teams of the past 6 or 7 years. The year before they lost in the Regional Finals to a Tilghman team who entered 7-5.

South Warren's program has improved...but until they show they can beat a team considered to be their equal I have a hard time putting them over other teams in 4A.

If you want to take it a step further... it's pretty clear Belfry was the best team in 3A the past two years. JC has beat Belfry by a combined score of 89-28 the past two seasons. Considering JC returns just as much, if not more, than South Warren this has to be accounted for.
After every JC touchdown/field goal next season....

I'm gonna post........... "More Greasy Pizza Please" cause 'mashed taters' just don't cut it.

(and yes, this is a reference to our member FatPatFan from Knott County Central)
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Thunder Lips Wrote:South Warren has lost in the region final (13) and the state semi-finals in (14) and both were on road. I'd hardly call that a flame out. Flaming out would be Warren Central or Johnson Central the past 2 years.

I'll grant you last year but Warren Central didn't "flame out" the year before against Graves County. They lost their starting QB one series into the game and had installed a game plan that heavily relied on his athleticism. They still managed to take the game to double overtime and lost after a missed PAT. It's not much different from what happened to Bowling Green this year when injuries knocked them off the rails.
South Warren is the logical preseason pick. However John Hardin will be scary no one in 4A can match their talent and it is all young!
Fear the Tigers of Clay County.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Improved but no.

Maybe next year.

Thompson does a great job of building and developing but this sensational Freshman class will probably be Juniors before Wayne gets back to a Top 5 level.

I think you'll be surprised. They finished strong last year with a lot of starters returning.

With that said in old 3a (or new 3a for that matter) they would be a year away.
New 4A is just that wide open that a young team can compete.

Lots of question marks all over the state with new coaches and young teams which will make Johnson A huge favorite IMO.
groundattack Wrote:South Warren is the logical preseason pick. However John Hardin will be scary no one in 4A can match their talent and it is all young!

I think John Hardin will certainly be in the running at the end of the year but I still think they are a year away of being dominant. You are correct though because the talent they have in their Sophomore and Junior classes is scary.
There is nothing logical about picking South Warren or any other team moving up from 3A the pre-season #1 in 4A. If Belfry had moved up a class, then they would have been the logical #2 pick in 4A.

Maybe John Hardin has a case to make, but JC returns 9 of 11 defensive starters from one of the top defenses in 4A, in addition to their entire starting backfield from last season. Many JC fans expect this year's team to be the best one in school history.

Of course, expectations don't win titles, performance does, but I expect Johnson Central to win its first title this year or next. They will be loaded.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There is nothing logical about picking South Warren or any other team moving up from 3A the pre-season #1 in 4A. If Belfry had moved up a class, then they would have been the logical #2 pick in 4A.

Maybe John Hardin has a case to make, but JC returns 9 of 11 defensive starters from one of the top defenses in 4A, in addition to their entire starting backfield from last season. Many JC fans expect this year's team to be the best one in school history.
Of course, expectations don't win titles, performance does, but I expect Johnson Central to win its first title this year or next. They will be loaded.

Better than the teams teams that gave Highlands a couple of tough games in the playoffs? This team did not show much from the people I talked to that got to see them play in person; said they were no where near the teams that beat Cov Cath and gave Highlands good games. I would think they need to show a lot of improvement in 2015-16 to be considered best ever in school history. If they win title does that make them better than the teams that lost to Highlands?
sstack Wrote:Better than the teams teams that gave Highlands a couple of tough games in the playoffs? This team did not show much from the people I talked to that got to see them play in person; said they were no where near the teams that beat Cov Cath and gave Highlands good games. I would think they need to show a lot of improvement in 2015-16 to be considered best ever in school history. If they win title does that make them better than the teams that lost to Highlands?

Offensively JC wasn't close to those teams...defensively with so much back from an already stout defense there is great reason for optimism for the Eagles.

That was the youngest JC team I can remember on offense.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:My vote for the most ridiculous comment posted in a Johnson Central thread would be this one (your's). Johnson Central was a dropped pass and a two-point conversion away from a win over one of the Highlands state title teams, after which the 'Birds cruised to a state title.
People like you keep lumping Covington Catholic and Highlands together and pretending that JC has not been competitive with either team. The truth is JC is 3-4 against the Colonels all time, including a couple blowout wins by JC.

Johnson Central would have been one of the favorites to win 4A next season without the realignment. IMO, they are the clear-cut favorite to win it now. They return 9 starters from a very good defense, along with their entire starting backfield from last season. Keep in mind that the Golden Eagle defense held Brandon Baker to 20 yards rushing last season, after which he shredded Highlands' defense and kept them in the game well into the 4th quarter.

Belfry and Johnson Central play each season to prepare for the playoffs. The notion that the Pirates rest players or that their coaching staff doesn't care whether they win the match-up with JC is laughable.

And was the #2 ranked team in the whole country...

Hoot , that moron has a looong history of saying some of the dumbest things to ever grace the pages of BGR...This one is just ranks right up there with the other ones is all....He doesn't even deserve a response to anything he rattles on about.
I wished Bluegrass Rivals would pass a law stating: Unless your team has won a state championship you are not aloud to post on here. Unless your team has played for a state championship you cant even read Bluegrass Rivals. Johnson Central fans :moon: now:gtfo:
jim rome Wrote:I wished Bluegrass Rivals would pass a law stating: Unless your team has won a state championship you are not aloud to post on here. Unless your team has played for a state championship you cant even read Bluegrass Rivals. Johnson Central fans :moon: now:gtfo:

That would get all of us Lake Cumberland football fans unless you wear maroon. :Sad04:
DragonFire Wrote:I'll grant you last year but Warren Central didn't "flame out" the year before against Graves County. They lost their starting QB one series into the game and had installed a game plan that heavily relied on his athleticism. They still managed to take the game to double overtime and lost after a missed PAT. It's not much different from what happened to Bowling Green this year when injuries knocked them off the rails.
Warren Central losing their QB in 13 I'm sure hurt them offensively but they still scored 27 points. 27 points should win a playoff game against Graves Co. That is why I'd view that as a flame out.

What injuries to Bowling Green have this year?
sstack Wrote:Better than the teams teams that gave Highlands a couple of tough games in the playoffs? This team did not show much from the people I talked to that got to see them play in person; said they were no where near the teams that beat Cov Cath and gave Highlands good games. I would think they need to show a lot of improvement in 2015-16 to be considered best ever in school history. If they win title does that make them better than the teams that lost to Highlands?
Johnson Central was a very young team and their pipeline is full of talent. Maybe you should compare the defensive stats of Highlands vs. Ashland and Highlands vs. Covington Catholic to Johnson Central's defensive stats against those teams before you believe those who say the "they did not show much."

Remember, one of the Colonels' scores was by their special teams, not on Johnson Central's defensive unit. Also remember that JC held Baker to 28 yards on 20 carries, while also holding Jake Long in check.

There is no reason to believe that a Johnson Central offense that returns the entire starting backfield will not be much improved over 2014's team and there is no doubt that the Golden Eagles' defense will be on par with their best ever.
jim rome Wrote:I wished Bluegrass Rivals would pass a law stating: Unless your team has won a state championship you are not aloud to post on here. Unless your team has played for a state championship you cant even read Bluegrass Rivals. Johnson Central fans :moon: now:gtfo:
First of all Bluegrass Rivals is not a government body. Hence, it has no authority to pass laws.

Secondly, Bluegrass Rivals should consider issuing demerits for repeatedly substituting smilies for good sense, thereby lowering the cumulative IQ of every thread in which they choose to participate. Bluegrass Rivals does have the authority to make such a rule. Could you support such a rule, or do you resemble my remark?
Bob Seger Wrote:And was the #2 ranked team in the whole country...

Hoot , that moron has a looong history of saying some of the dumbest things to ever grace the pages of BGR...This one is just ranks right up there with the other ones is all....He doesn't even deserve a response to anything he rattles on about.
You spoke too soon, Bob. If you look immediately to the south of your post, then you will see championship level rattling on about nothing. :biggrin:

aloud.... allowed
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Thunder Lips Wrote:Warren Central losing their QB in 13 I'm sure hurt them offensively but they still scored 27 points. 27 points should win a playoff game against Graves Co. That is why I'd view that as a flame out.

What injuries to Bowling Green have this year?

13 of those points were in the overtime periods (14 of course for Graves) and 7 of regulation came via a kickoff return. Central scored one offensive TD with their backup QB in regulation. Points are deceiving. The defense played well enough in regulation to win and there will never be a doubt in my mind that with Porter-Bunton at QB they do win.

You can believe it or you can't, but the reality is most teams don't fare all that well in a playoff game when having the lynchpin of their entire gameplan go out after one series - especially if that player is a QB. Porter-Bunton is a guy who accounted for 420 yards against Highlands that season and injured his foot following a 40 yard run on the very first play from scrimmage. Shanklin gave it a go but he had not seen much action during the year. He was 2/4 for 31 yards. His two completions were TDs and one of the incompletes a pick. To say the injury changed the entire dynamic would be a massive understatement. They'd have been better off if Porter-Bunton had never even been available because then at least Shanklin would have gotten the practice reps. A sophomore in a road playoff game that is his first real significant action at the varsity level? Does not equate to a flameout.

As for Bowling Green, ask most Purple fans and they'll tell you they lost to Graves this year because Gott had his throwing hand stepped on inadvertently during the game. He couldn't really throw well after that and hit showed. Add to that their primary back Yates went out with an injury as well. Perfect storm.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:aloud.... allowed

JIMMY my friend for the sake of your reputation please leave this thread. The above quote is, well just wrong in so many ways.
DragonFire Wrote:As for Bowling Green, ask most Purple fans and they'll tell you they lost to Graves this year because Gott had his throwing hand stepped on inadvertently during the game. He couldn't really throw well after that and hit showed. Add to that their primary back Yates went out with an injury as well. Perfect storm.

As for Warren Central losing their QB, I will agree with you.

BG is a program with a ton of depth (even at the QB position) and Carrothers is the main back for BG if I'm not mistaken.

Back to the topic:

Top 5 4A in 2015:

1. John Hardin
2. Johnson Central
3. South Warren
4. Ashland
5. Franklin Simpson