Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 70 North Laurel 65
Final.
Big Cats boss of the district.
Blake Smith leads the way with 25. Trey Farmer adds 17. North led most of the game, primarily behind the 3 point shooting of Asher. Good crowd on hand at the Jungle. I must mention the two clutch freethrows at the end by Logan "Sugar Bear" Gabbard. Another good win for the Tigers, this time in come from behind fashion.
Had made the trip to North to watch this one ... North shit the ball really good...
Shot
I think it should be noted as well that Clay County has performed late in games recently. At South Laurel literally went down to the wire, OBI led much of that game, and tonight on North's home floor. These are things you want to see this time of the year. All were on the road in hostile environments. Blake Smith has and will be my Player of the Year in this region. Farmer with a solid 17. Will Sexton continues to grow and may be the best rebounder in the region under 6'2".

No matter their record, the Jaguars always give Clay County a game. They are definitely a threat with the addition of Collier coming up.

*How about those free throws from Sugar Bear?!
Wow is all I can say.......give shouts to smith and farmer cause they are legit and crunch.....they never get tore up just keep playing there game ....hats off to clay they always find a way to win......now to north if coach would stop running 9 n 10 guts in and messing up the momentum they would be hard to handle....every time the jags made a run and took the lead or something he would sub 3 or 4 in and change the whole game....guess he is trying to keep everyone happy and not worrying about winning
Well I've got one thing to say. Blake Smith is absolutely amazing. And it's not the 25 that impressed me it's the defense and blocked shots I counted at least 5 blocks and 2 of them was on the big 6'7' kid. I know Broughton made some really tough 3's with Smith on him but u couldn't have fit a sheet of paper in between them. This was my 3rd time watching him and IMO if Clemson like that Broughton k is then they better get over to Manchester and watch this Smith kid.
DunkOnMe Wrote:Well I've got one thing to say. Blake Smith is absolutely amazing. And it's not the 25 that impressed me it's the defense and blocked shots I counted at least 5 blocks and 2 of them was on the big 6'7' kid. I know Broughton made some really tough 3's with Smith on him but u couldn't have fit a sheet of paper in between them. This was my 3rd time watching him and IMO if Clemson like that Broughton k is then they better get over to Manchester and watch this Smith kid.

You were also right about the dunks.
Yes I had a feeling after watching North several times that he would have a dunk or 2 but I didn't expect 3 and almost 4 I'd the big boy hadn't mugged him. I like the fact that he tries to dunk on people.
DunkOnMe Wrote:Yes I had a feeling after watching North several times that he would have a dunk or 2 but I didn't expect 3 and almost 4 I'd the big boy hadn't mugged him. I like the fact that he tries to dunk on people.

One of the 1,000 reasons I love that kid's game. I love eastern Kentucky as much as the next person but you just don't get that kind of athleticism very often. It's not like he's 6'5-6".
Well me and my Band Sexual Chocolate had a beautiful crowd tonight I want to give them a round of applause. We closed our show tonight with a special cover song. In honor of Mr. BLAKE SMITH it was called FLY LIKE AN EAGLE. Man that kid can jump. Also opened up the show with STROKING which is what Mr. FARMER was doing from long range.
If North gets beat Saturday at home by OBI, they are automatically the 4 seed in the district tournament, which would mean they'd play and beat the 5, Red Bird, then have to face Clay again in the semi finals. Collier is supposed to be eligible to play Saturday, so that could change the outcome too. North has lost 9 of their last 10 games, and it gets no easier Friday with Whitley coming to London. Plus Whitley will be hungry after their worst loss of the season to Williamsburg.
Great game in a great atmosphere. Props to both teams it was definitely worth the price of admission. North Laurel's record doesn't show just how dangerous they're. The dunk, block, dunk by Blake Smith on two straight possessions was nasty. It brought all the Clay faithful to their feet. I believe these two teams will meet again and I'd expect another barn burner.
I should have worded different. Of course Clay and North will more than likely meet, but I think North will do just enough to get the 3 seed over OBI and Clay and North will battle for the District title assuming both can get by OBI and Jackson County which I believe they will.
Nice win by the tigers. Good to see Blake Smith and Ryan House back somewhat healthy. I thought North played really well that may have been there A game. Broughton and Asher and Jeffers all played well. I just don't think this team can beat Clay if the refs call it even. I thought CC played there B game tonight overall. Oh and I see you Sugar Bear. This young man is developing right before our eyes. Props to you young man I knew you had it in you.
Congrats to the CC Tigers. Nice district win.
TIGER NATION!
Folks, if you were at the game you got your money's worth...One of the best games of the year IMO, great sportmanship from both teams and another great duel by Smith and Broughton..."Sugar Bear" Gabbard and Will Sexton came up HUGE for CC as well, Tre Farmer is LIGHTS out, and a big "tip of the hat" to Ryan House, played great with a bad wrist. Good job from Wolfe also...:Cheerlead
Good to see North coming around. I hope Collier doesn't cause a set back with their chemistry.
The amazing thing about Blake's big game last night is, if youv'e watched him play, you know he was playing on grit and determination and still wasn't 100%. Just wait till he's really back on his feet!
walterwhite Wrote:The amazing thing about Blake's big game last night is, if youv'e watched him play, you know he was playing on grit and determination and still wasn't 100%. Just wait till he's really back on his feet!

I thought his shot looked off but I figured it was just rust from being out of practice...The kid can Play ball...Deffinately a game changer on both ends. Another thing I noticed is that he is becoming one heck of a floor general for Marcum,
Here is my white flag of surrender on Clay. The most impressive thing to me about them is that they make the plays when it counts, they don't shrink away from the moment. They expect to win, other teams in the region hope to win. And it doesn't matter if its a kid coming in cold off the bench, like Gabbard did, he'll do whatever is necessary to win the game. I believe you could put a jersey on Harvey Dean Collins and he would come in and make a clutch shot at crunch time, because he would believe he was going to.
And Smith--well, I've always been complimentary of him, but I'm willing to say he is the best player in the region right now because his all-around game is just superb. People see the dunks, but he has the mid-range jumper, he rebounds and handles the ball at an above average level and passes really well off penetration. But most of all it's his defense, both on the ball and in a help situation, that sets him apart. Broughton is a really good offensive player, and to his credit he made some shots with Smith on him, but you have to work so hard for whatever you get you have to been worn down by the end of the game. And Smith's help defense, like blocks on Asher and Rice, is the thing that really sets him apart for me. I just don't see anybody beating Clay, this year or next, at least as far as winning the regional title.
VH, You hit the nail on the head about CC and Smith. A lot of people talk about playing at the next level, if it be NAIA or D-1 kids must be able to play good defense...thats why I feel Smith has a great chance of playing at that next level, where ever it may be.
Clay is very solid and plays extremely hard EVERY night... That's why they will win this region.. Coach Marcum is a excellent coach as well..
Smith-- Unbelievable talent.. Two of the prettiest dunks I've seen in years.. Farmer-- maybe the better floor general on the team..
North- they pass the look test, but not the team test.... Can North Laurel not afford shoes for their kids... To much individual attention..
L0L, you hit on something that drives me nuts, when I know it doesn't really mean a hill of beans, but didn't at one time teams play in matching shoes?!? I think its looks tacky to say the least to not have shoes that at least match your school colors. But oh well, old school I guess. Anyway, the only possible chink I see in Clay's armor as far as being kept from threepeating is their bench is a little thin, and injuries and/or foul trouble at the wrong time could be an issue. When Sams left the team and Sexton had to start that didn't leave them much bench experience. Sexton by the way has been really, really good all four or five times I've seen him, love a guy that plays full gut all the time.
I llove what Sexton does for this team. He is another kid that sacrifices his offensive game for the betterment of the TEAM...He is actually a PG but plays the post...Says a lot about his character.
13th region hoops Wrote:If North gets beat Saturday at home by OBI, they are automatically the 4 seed in the district tournament, which would mean they'd play and beat the 5, Red Bird, then have to face Clay again in the semi finals. Collier is supposed to be eligible to play Saturday, so that could change the outcome too. North has lost 9 of their last 10 games, and it gets no easier Friday with Whitley coming to London. Plus Whitley will be hungry after their worst loss of the season to Williamsburg.
You are right,but I cannot see Whitley beating North at North.. Not gonna happen.
About the shoes....At least the NL kids wore the same pair all game. We played a kid a few weeks ago that changed shoes at least twice during the game...CRAZY:HitWall:
Van Hagar your assessment of Smith Is dead on. I've only seen him a hand full of times but what you said is 100% correct. All good high school players can score but how many can change the game in the number of ways he does. The very first thing a college coach asks of a kid when he calls is Can He Defend. And we'll there's no doubt about it with Smith. His overall game is head and shoulders above anyone that I have watched in the mountains. There are some that are more polished on the offensive end but none I've seen that does it all the way this kid does.
Does anyone have stats from North last night. Was wondering what Broughton, Asher and Jeffers ended up with.