•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 28 Williamsburg 27 OT - 1A State Championship
Replay of the Williamsburg vs Mayfield game will be shown on wymt 57 thursday at 3.00pm...Yes,yes,yes. :Cheerlead
64, is there any way you could get me a copy of that?
By watching him, I thought he was flapping his arms hard enough to take flight when the catch occurred.
Rumors have it that 64 sur has a Mayfield jersey and will be in Bowling Green next year wearing it and cheering for them, the only bad thing about the jersey is it's number 55 Confusednicker::Cheerlead:CheerleadConfusedhh::popcorn::bike::what::nope::wenumber1
Yeah, we found him an old one. I just hope we are there to cheer with him
You can watch all of the state title games on youtube or khsaa.org
Yeah but I need a DVDs and khsaa is dragging their feet on making them available. I called the office today and was told they would be available for order sometime after the first of the year. I can watch it much better once on DVDs.
mysonis55 Wrote:Yeah but I need a DVDs and khsaa is dragging their feet on making them available. I called the office today and was told they would be available for order sometime after the first of the year. I can watch it much better once on DVDs.

How can you watch it better? I understand it may be easier, but I assume yu have a flat screen tv.

One HDMI cable and a laptop is all you need.
I don't have a laptop. I have a tablet and can't figure out a way to hook it up.
Myson was u impressed with this team this year from the burg?
Yes they looked much better. It's a shame they lose most of that bunch next year.
Yes that is a very big and talented senior class. I know they impressed me this year but when in 2013 they didn't..
bac they only beat you by 14 in 2013. Your bunch was better in 2013.
They progressed a level every year I think. As sophomores they lost to Hazard by 6 in regionals. As juniors they made it to state and lost handily. As seniors, they almost shocked the state. That is the mark of smart kids. They set a goal each year and worked their tales off to achieve it.
True testament to goal setting.......watched these kids get better each year and subsequently pay the dues it took to make it happen. It was hard for seniors to clean out lockers yesterday but this group will probably be one of the most talented to ever walk through the halls at williamsburg if not the most. People are still talking about the finals from saturday. Final word: Congrats to mayfield on a great run in 1a and good luck in 2a next year. Looking forward to seeing the next group in williamsburg put on the pads and what a year in 1a!
E's Army Wrote:bac they only beat you by 14 in 2013. Your bunch was better in 2013.

Yes but I think in 2013 the game could of went either way. In 2014 the burg was much superior..
Corey Shelton's one handed TD catch was featured in USA Today's high school sports section.http://www.usatodayhss.com/2014/video-on...s-force-ot
Here is something that I am not sure the average Williamsburg fan is aware of. You had a great kicker out there. I just think they may not be aware of part of the reason for the 2 misses. I bet you all were not even aware of 2 things. First the obvious, we had our fastest kid rushing in from the right of the kicker, which caused him to naturally pull a little. The other, not so obvious, is that those were college goal posts. That means they are more narrow by 5 yards. That very well could be the distance. You can take that into account when thinking about the what ifs.

There were many what ifs in that game. For instance, how would this game have went if the first snap did not go over our qb's head. I think that is the biggest one as it allowed the burg to psychologically feel they were in the game from the start. Second, what if your coach elects to kick a field goal instead of going for it in the 4th. Next, what if McCampbell doesn't catch the face mask on 3rd down on Griffith and it was a clean sack which would have prevented on touchdown. What if when, Workman shoots through the line untouched to tackle Griffith, he doesn't roll at the exact time causing Workman to sling shot off, this would have been another stop. What if, the returner doesn't fumble the ball and Tyler recover. There are many what ifs. I say all of this to simply say, the kicker was not the problem. It takes all 11 players on the field.
mysonis55 Wrote:Here is something that I am not sure the average Williamsburg fan is aware of. You had a great kicker out there. I just think they may not be aware of part of the reason for the 2 misses. I bet you all were not even aware of 2 things. First the obvious, we had our fastest kid rushing in from the right of the kicker, which caused him to naturally pull a little. The other, not so obvious, is that those were college goal posts. That means they are more narrow by 5 yards. That very well could be the distance. You can take that into account when thinking about the what ifs.

There were many what ifs in that game. For instance, how would this game have went if the first snap did not go over our qb's head. I think that is the biggest one as it allowed the burg to psychologically feel they were in the game from the start. Second, what if your coach elects to kick a field goal instead of going for it in the 4th. Next, what if McCampbell doesn't catch the face mask on 3rd down on Griffith and it was a clean sack which would have prevented on touchdown. Wh
at if when, Workman shoots through the line untouched to tackle Griffith, he doesn't roll at the exact time causing Workman to sling shot off, this would have been another stop. What if, the returner doesn't fumble the ball and Tyler recover. There are many what ifs. I say all of this to simply say, the kicker was not the problem. It takes all 11 players on the field.

Nice posts 55 a lot of ifs. :rockon:
If, ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a title ring!!! Instead its Mayfield. The phrase "been there before" kind of somes up the outcome of this game. Wburg had been there before as well, but Mayfield has pretty much set up shop in BG during this alignment. It was an incredible game and i reall wish I could have seen it in person. I did get to watch it on my new HD Though. So it it could have been worse. Ive watched most of the games i could not attend this year on my Iphone lol. Congrats to both teams and all of 1A on a remarkable season!
I have watched this particular segment several times and all I see is a running back laying on his back, kicking like a little girl.
Are we still talking about that? Seriously!!!
Any time there is a 1 point game you can what if it for the rest of your life. Its just the bounces of the game and it happens the way it happens. Both teams had bounces go against and their way. This game truly represented what a championship game should be like. 2 heavyweights just going at it until the final bell. Just dont understand why some people continously has to stir up stuff. Think 55 has sumed it up completely.
The kick that he pulled was more mechanical than anything else. I understand there was pressure coming from the end by mayfield, and the PAT may have been different because I couldn't see well enough on that one. However, the other one was simply a case of the kicker planting his foot too early on the kick, which will almost always cause that same result. There were different variables going on with it being a title game, late game, kick could win the game, and if all that had something to do with his mechanics being off then so be it. I still think it was just a human error where his plant foot landed a half foot too early than it should have.
1/4bak Wrote:this senior class was more like an all star team, with over half never playing in the Williamsburg feeder system.
Williamsburg 8th grade state championship team had several good athletes,+ 7 kids off the Corbin 8th grade championship team that same year, + the best athlete in Harlan County and probably one of the best in southeast KY. Williamsburg will still be competitive but nowhere the caliber of the last 3 or 4 years. Teams like this come along maybe once in a coaches lifetime.

How did all those Corbin kids end up at Williamsburg? Did they move to W'Burg, pay tuition or does W'Burg have an open enrollment for all surrounding counties schools?
The Patrick Twins had gone to Wburg till they were in the 6th grade, dad took them to Corbin for 2 years then back to Wburg...The Wilson kid came to play baseball, Corbin baseball coach was unwilling to let him pitch, to my knowledge he was not playing football at Corbin...The other 2 were not happy at Corbin or with Coach Jewell...Wburg has reciprocal agreement with most local schools...
Seven pages of fans still talking tells the tale of what a great game this was.
Unless you were there in person there is no way to imagine how great this game really was.....watching it on tv or listening to it on the radio just doesn't do it justice. Doesn't matter if you were for w'burg or mayfield or an innocent bystander.....it was one of the best high school games i have ever seen.
OldJacket Wrote:The Parick Twins had gone to Wburg till they were in the 6th grade, dad took them to Corbin for 2 years then back to Wburg...The Wilson kid came to play baseball, Corbin baseball coach was unwilling to let him pitch, to my knowledge he was not playing football at Corbin...The other 2 were not happy at Corbin or with Coach Jewell...Wburg has reciprocal agreement with most local schools...

I thought the Patrick twins transferred to Corbin from Whitley? Wilson quit the football team at Corbin due to an injury and differences with the coaching staff(but as you said I think baseball was the main factor in his decision for transferring). I think the other 5 like you said were disappointed where they were at on the depth chart.
oldjacket Wrote:the patrick twins had gone to wburg till they were in the 6th grade, dad took them to corbin for 2 years then back to wburg...the wilson kid came to play baseball, corbin baseball coach was unwilling to let him pitch, to my knowledge he was not playing football at corbin...the other 2 were not happy at corbin or with coach jewell...wburg has reciprocal agreement with most local schools...

thats right......the patricks started at w'burg hs from day one. Wilson never played football at corbin after being all state center in middle school and baseball was an issue as well.....kissinger and sanders transferred due to being unhappy at corbin but they actually sat out their year after transferring before they could play. The others i think 2 or 3 (lamoree, smith, and ????) i believe was also unhappy at that school and never actually played a varsity game and transferred and played later.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next